X650 Chausson exclusive line

Jojo1971

Hi just after some advice, I’ve got the x650 chausson exclusive line ordered the automatic model, all marketing and every model I’ve seen it comes with 16” all black wheels, yet mine has come in with black and chrome wheels,!! Not what I thought or wanted to get??  Has anyone else seen or come across this, or know anything about it… I’ve been told it’s because it’s the automatic, yet I can’t find anything on the Chausson website about this…. TIA. Jo 

I'd suggest asking the selling dealer. It may be that Chausson have decided to put "posher" wheels on the automatic. It may have been an assembly fault (ran out of the plain black ones, etc.), or something you didn't spot that came with an options "pack". If the wheels really offend you, why not ask the dealer if he'd kindly swap them with a van that has the plain black version fitted? You never know 🙂 If they will, just check that the tyres are similar or, if your van has a spare, the original spare has a suitable tyre to fit alongside the swapped tyres.

• Like 1

Are they chrome - or just diamond cut ?

I doubt they would be chrome, so if they are diamond cut [so clear lacquer over polished alloy] they are prone to corrosion.

Having said that, I opted for diamond cut, but it really depends on the wheel manufacturer and how good the coating process is.

As Brian says - get the dealer to swap them if possible, personally I don't really get having nice alloys and then just painting them black, all down to personal choice I guess.

Based on Chausson's UK advertising, the 'norm' for the wheels of Chausson "X" models seems to be all-black alloy  wheels

https://www.chausson-motorhomes.com/line/x/

with Van models having silver-and-black alloys.

https://www.chausson-motorhomes.com/line/vans/

HOWEVER, it's evident that some 2024 Chausson coachbuilt motorhomes that one might expect (from Chausson's UK advertising) to have the black wheels, instead have the silver-and-black wheels historically used on the Van models. 

For example, this French advert for a 2024 Chausson X650 Exclusive Line with automatic transmission.

https://www.idylcar.fr/camping-car/neuf/chausson/x650-exclusive-line-11286

image.png.d13be74425d1fdec45183571bb70b083.png 

and this German advert for a 2024 X650 Exclusive Line with manual transmission

https://www.truck1.eu/campers/semi-integrated-motorhomes/chausson-x650-exclusive-line-xxl-hubbett-rad-garage-a7954049.html

It's likely that Chausson's brochure will include a clause along the lines of "We reserve the right to change the specification at any time", and it may be that all "X" Exclusive Line models (not just the X650 and irrespective of their transmission type) are now leaving the Chausson factory with the silver-and-black wheel design.

There would be some logic to such standardisation and (as Brian touched on above) 'posh' silver-and-black wheels are decidedly more eye-catching than the all-black ones shown in the photo below.

image.jpeg.162b06391d33e1c7473ad7a7a6f28a20.jpeg

I recall opining on this forum that putting alloy wheels on a motorhome was like putting lipstick on a pig, and I haven't changed my mind about this. There's minimal weight-saving, the cost per wheel is a LOT more than the standard 'van' steel equivalent, and - as has also been mentioned above - alloy wheels (especially the diamond-cut variety) are more prone to corrosion than steel. Steel wheels are pretty much 'future-safe' if a replacement is ever needed, whereas custom alloy wheels not on (say) the Fiat parts list, may prove to be unobtainable after just a few years. Nothing much one can do about it though - it's an unavoidable 'style' thing that's come over from cars.

(The chances are small that the standard specification of a Chausson X650 Exclusive Line would include a spare wheel or that this would be an option. If there's room underneath the chassis (unlikely) it might be practicable to fit a wheel-carrying 'winch' system, but it looks like there should be room in the rear garage to bracket-mount a spare wheel vertically. That's what I did with my 2015Ducato-based Rapido 640F, buying a new steel wheel and a new tyre that matched the motorhome's original Michelins.)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jojo1971 said:

Hi just after some advice, I’ve got the x650 chausson exclusive line ordered the automatic model, all marketing and every model I’ve seen it comes with 16” all black wheels, yet mine has come in with black and chrome wheels,!! Not what I thought or wanted to get??  Has anyone else seen or come across this, or know anything about it… I’ve been told it’s because it’s the automatic, yet I can’t find anything on the Chausson website about this…. TIA. Jo 

Hi 

All in the eye of the beholder as obviously from the OP above and he says he has been informed because it's an automatic????

Maybe Jojo1971 will get back to us and tell us all why, the dealer or whoever may gave him this information 

Or is it just an advertisement ploy? 

Regards

Edited by onecal

Hi all, yeah wheels are diamond cut, and I’ve asked the dealer the change to black as advertised, think they just look better with the van, but the dealers is saying they’re not sure they will fit, even thought same size wheel and tyre!!! 
have read that the diamond cut are prone to corrosion, and had the same on a car, so put off by this really.

just waiting on the dealer now to get back to me, from what I can black diamond cut are cheaper wheels, maybe this is why they’re putting them on the x650 now!!

thanks for the feedback

Hi Jojo1971

You say they won't fit the automatic model??? Fill us all in a little more when the dealer gets back to you 

Regards

18 minutes ago, Jojo1971 said:

Hi all, yeah wheels are diamond cut, and I’ve asked the dealer the change to black as advertised, think they just look better with the van, but the dealers is saying they’re not sure they will fit, even thought same size wheel and tyre!!! 
have read that the diamond cut are prone to corrosion, and had the same on a car, so put off by this really.

just waiting on the dealer now to get back to me,,  ftom what I can black diamond cut are cheaper wheels, maybe this is why they’re putting them on the x650 now!!

thanks for the feedback

Technical characteristics of the X650 Exclusuve Line model can be found via this Chausson UK webpage

https://www.motorhomes-chausson.co.uk/model/x650/

The characteristics are as shown below. The road wheels are described as 16" alloy wheels blackso there's no doubt that black wheels are what a UK buyer should expect.

image.png.9b85eaef7b872ec2d600f1c417923bfe.png

(Of course the black wheels will fit....)

7 minutes ago, Derek Uzzell said:

Technical characteristics of the X650 Exclusuve Line model can be found via this Chausson UK webpage

https://www.motorhomes-chausson.co.uk/model/x650/

The characteristics are as shown below. The road wheels are described as 16" alloy wheels blackso there's no doubt that black wheels are what a UK buyer should expect.

image.png.9b85eaef7b872ec2d600f1c417923bfe.png

(Of course the black wheels will fit....)

Yep, that’s what we’ve said to the dealer, can’t see anywhere that stated black/chrome wheels on the automatic model!!!

3 hours ago, Jojo1971 said:

IMG_9495.jpeg

IMG_9494.jpeg

The PCD of those two wheels looks to be different!

Try measuring the distance between two adjacent wheel bolts.

I suspect one is a Midi (Correction - Light) chassis and the other a Maxi chassis.

• Like 1

Hi all

Yes they just may not actually fit as Keithl has correctly pointed out . But I am amazed your dealer has not pointed to you actually why they may not ? or at least not made contact with Chausson themselves for a definitive explanation 

Regards 

1 hour ago, Keithl said:

The PCD of those two wheels looks to be different!

Try measuring the distance between two adjacent wheel bolts.

I suspect one is a Midi (?) chassis and the other a Maxi chassis.

Well spotted Keith!  Also, it seems (although Chausson apparently to want to keep it a secret? 🙂) that the 660 is  on the LWB chassis which, I seem to remember, is only available Maxi load rated (in this case clearly downplated to 3.500KG MAM).  Also, if I remember, Maxi versions come with larger wheel hubs and brake discs, and so wheel bolt centres that differ from the lighter chassis.  The clue should be in the VIN plate, which should show individual axle loads of 2,100kg front and 2.400kg rear (compared to 1,850kg front and 2,000kg rear for the "light" chassis).

If that is correct, the hidden advantages are the the Maxi chassis rides, brakes, and handles better that the light plus, if Lojo1971 finds the payload a bit light, and is prepared to possibly upgrade his driving licence to allow him to drive vehicles heavier that 3,500kg MAM, the greater axle loads of the Maxi chassis will accommodate this as all that would be required would be a paper exercise.  Win, win?  🙂

This 2023 forum posting discussed the PCD of the wheels used on recent Ducatos.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/61871-ducato-series-89-wheel-pcd/

It seems to be the case that Chausson X650 Exclusive Line 'automatic' models currently being marketed in the UK have the silver-and-black alloy wheels, while 'manual' versions have all-black wheels. Outside the UK (Including Ireland) manual versions may also have the silver-and-black wheels.

Apparently (!!!) X650s are built on a Fiat Ducato 35 light/EMP4035 chassis, but, if all new Ducato-based coachbuilt motorhomes now had 16" wheels with a 5 X 130 PCD and M16 bolts, it should not matter whether the chassis were 'light' or 'heavy'.

Having said that, when I took the two photos that JoJo provided earlier and 'equalised' the diameter of both wheels, the PCDs were different (as Keith said earlier) with the all-black wheel's PCD significantly less than that of the silver-and-black wheel. Assuming that the photos both relate to front wheels, it's also evident that the diameter of the brake disc behind the all-black wheel is noticeable smaller than the diameter of the disc behind the silver-and-black wheel. This suggests that 'light' chassis Ducatos with manual transmission still have the  smaller hubs and front brake discs (280mm diameter) as in the past, while 'light' chassis Ducatos with automatic transmission have the larger hubs and front disks (300mm diameter) that, historically, were fitted to 'heavy' (Maxi) chassis. And, if that's the case, the all-black and black-and-silver wheels won't be interchangeable.

It's not that difficult to measure the PCD without removing the wheel (or to just compare the wheel-bolt sizes), but as Jojo1971's dealer is prepared to try fitting a black wheel on Jojo's motorhome, that will be the acid test.