Motorhome Insurance price hikes

Anyone who has renewed their motorhome insurance lately will have had a shock

But why is it only UK

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) put the average increase for car cover in the UK at 34%, but many drivers have seen rises far exceed that, even doubling in the case of electric vehicles (EVs). By contrast, car premiums over the same period rose by 6% in Italy, 5% in Spain and 2% in France, according to the recent financial results of one of Britain’s biggest insurers Admiral, which also trades in Europe.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/apr/06/uk-car-insurance-cost-up-by-third-despite-smaller-rise-in-payouts

I see Admiral offered some flannel about liability being different in the UK, but how has that changed since last year?

11 minutes ago, Keithl said:

Well I've just renewed our MH insurance and the premium had only gone up 5% so to me that is about right for inflation. Insured with AXA through the C&MC scheme.

Keith.

Mine was up about 47% with no changes (but its a Light Goods Vehicle)

Your increase appears to be way below average, so I wonder if its the timing?

(last year just after a price hike and this year just before)

1 hour ago, Keithl said:

Well I've just renewed our MH insurance and the premium had only gone up 5% so to me that is about right for inflation. Insured with AXA through the C&MC scheme.

Keith.

Me too Keith. I was shocked - my insurers, Caravan Guard, increased the premium by £69 then wanted £90 for European cover (which was always included prior to Brexit) and another £70 for European breakdown.

After a search C&MC came in with best price at £80 cheaper than CG including European cover. Their breakdown cover is quite expensive though so, as I was renewing my wife’s car breakdown insurance (£19) with Britannia Rescue, I asked for a quote for European cover on the motorhome. The nice lady advised that if I change my policy to cover both of us travelling in any vehicle it would come to £37! And cover the motorhome in Europe. Bargain.

Talking about timing though, Martin Lewis advises not to wait until renewal time to get quotes as the nearer the date the more it increases. This was born out with my C&MC website quote which had risen by £30 just a couple of days later when I went to take it out. But their website states quotes are valid for 30 days so a call to them confirmed they would do it for the original Price quoted.

David

Though do be aware David L that with Britannia Rescue the only vehicle covered in Europe is the one stated on the policy as the main vehicle. The any vehicle cover is UK only, unless of course it has recently changed.

I am with Britannia Rescue and have been since being let down twice with Green Flag Mayday!

Bas

Hi, last year I paid £490 to Comfort this years quote was £734. Looked around and finished up paying Scenic £527. European breakdown cover included in all of these prices. Comfort put the price increase down to Aviva.

Regards David 

Hi, it’s not just motorhome insurance that rises by large amounts. November 2022 I paid £191 to insure my Yamaha Tracer, the 2023 renewal quote was £758. Looked around and finished up paying £198. Sometimes I think some companies don’t want your custom.

Regards David 

I renewed my motorhome insurance 3 weeks ago, after some haggling it was settled at around the inflation increase.

I note the figures from Statistica show average comprehensive car insurance in France is considerably higher than UK. 

I think there are too many variables in insurance to be able to compare. It all depends on the parameters you set eg

Age, mileage limit, trip length, medical conditions, value of vehicle and a whole host of other specifics. So a fairly pointless exercise to even try and see who might have the best deal unless we are all equal ... which hopefully we "aint"! 

Jeremy 

Posted (edited)

Well I wasn't able to find a cheaper quote.  I used to switch backwards and forwards between insurers every year to get the new customer discount.  But they have been stopped from doing that now.  So I had to pay another 47% for the same cover from the same company when the only thing that has changed is I have got another year of no claim discount (now over 50 years NCD as I have never made any insurance claim in my life)

I get that different companies charge different premiums some people do get a cheaper quote by shopping around, and I'm glad they post and let us know because it shows which companies are worth trying.

But it doesn't alter the fact that average increases are much higher in UK than elsewhere - because international companies like Admiral are increasing premiums more in UK than elsewhere.

Edited by John52

The insurance subject comes up regularly on other forums - it seems many are either being clobbered by  increases, or having to pay high premiums for obtaining cover on new purchases.

My Hymer insurance increased by around 20% at last renewal [1/8/23] with Comfort.

Comfort do seem to have a 'like it or lump it' attitude when you phone to discuss the matter too!

I stayed with them because all other quotes obtained were similar - or in some cases more, which seemed to reflect the increases touted in the media at the time.

Comparison sites are great at showing better deals initially, but when you compare like for like cover, it soon ramps up.

LV seem to be offering some good deals according to other forums, and I'm certainly going to be preemptive this year when looking for cover on the camper.

Insurance is clearly a weird and wonderful thing! -  I have a multicar policy that covers both my classic and daily drivers - it gives fantastic cover [agreed value, business mileage, business use etc] this policy has remained the same for the last 4 or 5 years [around £600] - until last year when I sold one of the older cars.

I now pay £39 more to actually have less vehicles insured! - this was explained to me as 'dropping into a different band by reducing down to 5 vehicles and the way the policy is loaded'

Our Motorhome, house and daily driver insurances all fall in February/March. About 4 weeks before my Wife's car insurance was due she got an email from her insurers explaining that insurance premiums had increased across the board and giving reasons they said had led to this. A sort of 'softening up' exercise before they actually sent the renewal notice. When that arrived, her premium had actually reduced by £1.26 over last year. My renewal increased by £6 over last year, a rise of 1.75%. Motorhome with Caravan Guard went up 8% having not increased at all over the previous two years so no real complaint there. House and contents premium increased by 100%. Same house, lived here for 36 years, never had a claim in 50 years etc. etc. Looked around and could only find similar prices so no option but to pay up however, overall I don't think we've done to badly given the level of increases being reported. 

FD

That's a good point about house insurance - I've seen a big hike in that too, although I managed to renegotiate a better deal on one property.

It looks like there's been an increase in all types of insurance in general - albeit inconsistent!

I have been insured with Safeguard for over 30 years. My last renewal from them was over £800 .

I called them and queried the amount which seemed very expensive. They put me through to Scenic their parent company who quoted £409 which include breakdown, legal , European cover and £20 service charge. Just shows how important it is to get quotes before renewal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pluto said:

I have been insured with Safeguard for over 30 years. My last renewal from them was over £800 .

I called them and queried the amount which seemed very expensive. They put me through to Scenic their parent company who quoted £409 which include breakdown, legal , European cover and £20 service charge. Just shows how important it is to get quotes before renewal.

I had a quote this weekend @ £1800  so after reading your post I gave Scenic a call they asked the normal questions then said were up to £2500 already shall we stop here and not waste each others time. I don't think he liked the £53500 pay out for hail storm damage in June 2022.

Paul