Mercedes Sprinter alternator capability

Goneoff

I have a 2016 Sprinter based motorhome Hymer ML-T 530 316 2.2ltr 163 BHP and want to install a DC-DC charger for a lithium battery but don’t know the capability/technical info of my alternator so that Roamer, where I’m buying the battery from can correctly size a DC-DC for me or perhaps someone on here could and do a better job. I would like to install a minimum of 30a ideally higher does anyone know on here what the alternator will cope with and/or its technical specifications so that I can pass them on to Roamer? 
It it’s smart alternator I have?
Many thanks in advance.

Hi 

Strange , whoever you are purchasing the product from should be capable of looking up the information for you with your Vin No without any difficulty . More than likely it's the 180A alternator , without actually seeing the unit it's always best to obtain the correct information through your Vin No

Regards

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Goneoff said:

install a DC-DC charger for a lithium battery

The upfitters data suggests upto 50 to 60 amp  can safely be taken from the vehicle system.

The most efficient DC to DC charger available is the Victron  Orion XS 50A unit. 'Out of the box' can deal with most smart charge systems, but if necessary the activate/deactivate voltage levels can easily be adjusted. There is no need for an enable, D+. This makes the install easier.  The default lithium setting is OK for lithium, but again can be used modified if needed.  The charge current can be reduced from 50 amps as an option. Communicates via the Victron app to tablet or smartphone. Full info on charging status and history. Unlike  the 30 amp Orion,  the XS runs much cooler due to the more efficient design

As with all smart alternator systems it's important not to bypass  the sensor in the negative path of the starter battery. Thus the negative feed to the DC to DC charger must be taken from a suitable point on the vehicle metal, not the starter battery negative post. The Victron installation guide will specify  necessary wire gauge and fuses that need to be installed close to the respective battery.

Mike

Edited by MikeF
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeF said:

The upfitters data suggests upto 50 to 60 amp  can safely be taken from the vehicle system.

The most efficient DC to DC charger available is the Victron  Orion XS 50A unit. 'Out of the box' can deal with most smart charge systems, but if necessary the activate/deactivate voltage levels can easily be adjusted. There is no need for an enable, D+. This makes the install easier.  The default lithium setting is OK for lithium, but again can be used modified if needed.  The charge current can be reduced from 50 amps as an option. Communicates via the Victron app to tablet or smartphone. Full info on charging status and history. Unlike  the 30 amp Orion,  the XS runs much cooler due to the more efficient design

As with all smart alternator systems it's important not to bypass  the sensor in the negative path of the starter battery. Thus the negative feed to the DC to DC charger must be taken from a suitable point on the vehicle metal, not the starter battery negative post. The Victron installation guide will specify  necessary wire gauge and fuses that need to be installed close to the respective battery.

Mike

Thanks for your input Mike it is appreciated