Citroen dispatch 1.6 2019 Alarm

Hi there. The alarm on my van has been going off every few days since I bought it a few weeks ago. Obviously I don't want to annoy my neighbours so I've resorted to locking it with the key and not activating the alarm. This is obviously not a satisfactory solution so I'd like to get it sorted. The dealership is happy to have a look at it but I am open to your suggestions at things I should check first before I take it back. I would rather not be van less for any period.

I've just put a voltmeter on it after resting overnight and it says 11.98v. It goes up to 14.6v with engine on. I'm wondering if the battery could be the culprit. Oddly the stop start only kicked in after a long drive to a campsite and hasn't worked since we returned as the van is rarely driven and I feel the battery needs to be optimum for that to work. 

Any suggestions? Any sensors or contacts need cleaning etc ? How do these alarms work ? Do they notice a drop in pressure or is it simply from door contacts ?

The stop start shuts down and will not work with a low battery and I wonder if the alarm thinks the battery has been disconnected when it gets low (there may be a back up battery within the alarm system to power it , if this was to happen , ). I think a battery test is the first thing to try and if the battery tests ok the charging system may need looking at. 

The earth connection between the engine and body can also cause these problems and would be worth replacing (or adding another) even if it looks ok.

Edited by Labby

And I'll go along with Labby and Den, your battery has passed its sell by date!

Could you connect a trickle charger overnight to keep the voltage up and rule out a fault with the alarm?

And the stop/start not working is a sure sign of a depleted battery!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Keithl said:

And I'll go along with Labby and Den, your battery has passed its sell by date!

Could you connect a trickle charger overnight to keep the voltage up and rule out a fault with the alarm?

And the stop/start not working is a sure sign of a depleted battery!

Yes I've got a good ctek charger I could put on it.  Will try that tonight. The dealer is phoning me back today. I think I may just ask for a new battery as well.

Well I put the ctek charger on yesterday all day. No false alarms. Charger indicated it was fully charged after about 3 hours but I kept it on maintenance charge until the evening when I needed to drive it. Interestingly the stop start still didn't kick in despite the green symbol coming up on the dashboard display. Out of curiosity I just checked the battery level this morning and it was back down to 11.95. So yes I think the battery is past it's best. Obviously enough to start the van each time but not enough to initiate the stop start. But is this causing my alarm issue too? Do alarms start playing up at this voltage ? It will be parked up for the week after today as I cycle to work so I may leave it on maintenance charge and see if the alarm plays up. 

Hi

Yes it does look like your battery may be faulty or you have a parasitic draw on your system bringing your battery voltage down, and triggering your alarm  One of course can never rule out the actual alarm system may also be faulty itself. Check for a parasitic draw first .If nothing found replace the battery 

Regards  

• Thanks 1