Major Fiat/Peueot/Citroen problems

AndyStothert

My 2.3 is ok so far [5700 miles] but had awful judder with the Tranny years ago and changed the 6-spring clutch for an 8-spring clutch plate and it worked a treat afterwards with no judder and much smoother operation. I have an older iveco and that is ok at 50000 miles

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have just returned from our dealers to discuss yet again the reversing problem, the water ingress, & to arrange a replacement headlight unit which constantly has condensation in. We were advised to lodge a formal complaint with fiat about the reverse gear as their only solution was to keep the revs up. We had had the water ingress 'fix' done previously but were keen to ask about the engine, starter motor, windscreen wiper motor & abs motor covers that Geoff Cole said he has had fitted. Our dealer says these parts are available but we had to purchase them, they are not fitted as part of the recall. Could those on this forum that have had them fitted confirm whether this is the case & they have purchased them please. We will be writing to fiat this weekend about their general lack of solutions for our problems & will willingly join any campaign to bring them to the attention of a wider audience.

rossko - 2008-01-25 4:49 PM

Could those on this forum that have had them fitted confirm whether this is the case & they have purchased them please.QUOTE]

Rossko

The following recall codes are listed on the jobsheet for the work we had done last November, all at no cost to us. Our van is booked in for it's first annual service at the end of next month & we're having the engine cover fitted at the same time (again, no cost) these were not available for the 3.0l engines early November.

Work done to reseal the scuttle etc is not listed on the jobsheet, i can only guess as to why not.

I’ll be discussing reverse gear with them on the day.

Fiat recall codes :

5219 Steering rack lubrication

5221 Injector corrosion protection

5222 ABS control unit cover

5223 Wiper motor water ingress

5247 ECU flash update

5248 Incorrect starter fuse

Bryan

I have answered rossko's question about being charged for rubber bits on this forum under Fiat Recalls in some detail, but the items fitted on recalls should be provided and fitted free.

Some info about the othe recalls.

The ECU Flash update is to do with the EGR Valve, its to try to reduce the failure of this component. IF it goes faulty, the injector failure sytem light (orange) comes on and the engine runs on reduced performance)

The starter fuse replacement was to fit a higher rated fuse for some reason.

on hols. in India at the momment but "keeping in touch" via the internet I experienced the judder when reversing up the slightest of incline, reported to dealer, who said that you could not slip the clutch (fully in or out) I had to accept that he was right but how embarasing when on a site. The thing is that new models and updates happen so rapidly that the only way the dealer can gain knowledge of your model, is to almost practice on your machine. Without this forum I would not be aware of ANY problems, no contact from either Fiat or dealer. I feal that if you don't have problems you are really lucky, problems seem to be the norm. If its your model, it really hurts and some of the generalised comments dont make matters any better. The manufacturers in the attempt to be 1st with ideas cut corners in testing(R&D) the dealers stay stum(keeping lucrative profit margins) & the mags. try to keep a balance of sales and free motors to play with. It really gets my blood boiling, worse than talking to a politician

I,m so fed up, i'd better have a swim & sunbathe sum more, trouble is i have to come home to face the nightmare, unless it's got stolen!! that WOULD solve the problem

Greetings all,

Apparently I've pissed a few folk off with my dismissal of all the irrelevant 'stuff' which appeared on the forum as a result of my original warnings about the new Fiat.

This wasn't my intention. Usually it is when I do, but in this case it wasn't. This is my first experience of any kind of 'forum' and I didn't realise that it is, basically, a talking shop. I was mistakenly looking for action rather than talk. I didn't even know how to edit the soddin' messages and eliminate my numerous tryping errers.

Mainly I was worried that all the not-so-closely-associated conversation (perhaps clumsily referrred to as 'irrelevant') might dilute or drown the orginal warning, and that folk would have to wade through all kind of advice not really to the point. And thus may lose interest, or miss it altogether. The way the forum is set up (last messagre first without the original anywhere in sight) makes this quite likely.

Can I just reiterate that the reversing 'problem' may become an expensive liability when these vehicles are out of warranty, unless, like us, you test it to destruction on a Welsh mountainside. Most drivers probably won't find themselves in this extreme situation very often (or at all?) but it only takes once.

Anyway my apologies to all those sensitive souls who too umbridge at my dismissal of their efforts as being irrelevant - blame it on frustration (with Fiat) and ignorance of the Forum system if you could. I know the score now so if this matter rumbles on in forum terms I shall be more specific about what we're trying to achieve.

Cheers, Grumpy (but only backwards) of Lancs.

P.S. Can anyone experiencing this juddering in reverse who isn't happy with the explanations from Fiat please email me on: andystotert@blueyonder.co.uk

If I get enough replies (apparently 20 is the magic number) I will see what kind of legal or pressure group muscle we have as a group rather than individuals working in ignorance of each other.

Good luck Andy,

Everybody has a viewpoint and most (including me) give it on this forum. But I agree about the format, the old MMM forum was soo much simpler.

But the warning is quite clear regarding the new Fiat gearbox. If you want to ensure it doesn,t let you down somewhere up a mountain and outside warranty than EMAIL ANDY NOW so that sufficient pressure can be applied to Fiat to implement a proper cure and not a continuation of lame excuses.

If they say its not suitable for motorhomes then they must say this loud a clearly to the converters.

Clive

It does sound as though it would be in the interests of anyone who owns one of the new Sevel vans to drive it to a hill somewhere, engage reverse gear, and try it out.  It may well be too late if you discover you have the Stothert curse just after your warranty expires!  The worst that can happen is you'll find out: then you can join forces with Andy.

Off topic, but is anyone else finding that bleedin' "Perfect Pitch" animation (just to the right of the screen) is pinching all their bandwidth and slowing the whole site down?

Guest Tracker

I thought the perfect pitch was an advert for a golf course!

My perfect pitch don't move 'cos I've got all the animations turned off because they are a continual pain in the bum!

Hi All

I was following the reversing problem before we went away with our 3.0ltr (160) version earlier this week. On leaving I carried out a test reverse on our steep front drive and found no problem, which appears to agree with a previous post.

If any attempt is made to publicise the reversing issue at the NEC, IMO it should clearly indicate the versions effected.

AndyStothert - 2008-01-26 3:28 PM

email me on: andystotert@blueyonder.co.uk

If I get enough replies (apparently 20 is the magic number) I will see what kind of legal or pressure group muscle we have as a group rather than individuals working in ignorance of each other.

Now that is a worthwhile posting! almost missed it at bottom so have 'quoted' it to highlight to others.

Hi

I don't have one of these and am I glad I don't, in fact I'm an ex motorhomer gone tugging, but I see that this is about to drop off the bottom so I've posted this to get it back to the top. Good luck to you all remember nothing succeeds like persistance. I'll be following with interest, as a retired transport engineer I can see not much has changed.

RoyH.

Mike

Sorry to here about your clutch problems, You are one of manny.Just a few questions so as I might be able to advise you later on.

Does it judder in first gear if you pull away slowly.

Can you here a squeeling sound as you pull away.

The year of your Ducato and milage.

When you are reversing have the bonnet open and get an assistant to look and see is the engine moving a lot.

Try this going forward in first with your assistant at the side and looking out for you. (not on public road)

As Brian has pointed out harmonics do come into play with D.M.F.

As Euroserv has also pointed out when they do go, Trouble.

Electronics can also cause some of the above as well. (EGR valve)

Hope I can be of help later on,

Regards,

Brendan.

PS You can PM if you want.

AndyStothert - 2008-01-26 3:28 PM

Just posting part of Andy's last post, to top of page.

P.S. Can anyone experiencing this juddering in reverse who isn't happy with the explanations from Fiat please email me on: andystotert@blueyonder.co.uk

Andy:

If you go to the area towards the top-right of the screen headed "Welcome, AndyStothert" and select "Control Panel", you can enter your e-mail address and tick the box below titled "Is your e-mail publically viewable?" This will cause an e-mail 'button' to appear in the bottom-left corner of all your postings (including earlier ones) and anyone clicking on this button will access your e-mail address. (See Mike H's posting two back from this as an example.) Might be useful if you want feedback about the juddering.

That seems a rather more organised approach than has been apparent on here, to date.  Even the moderators are involved in pulling the posts together into one place.

Is MMM being just a little supine in fronting this for those affected?  Having read just some of that lot, I have to say I'd hate to be waiting for/having just taken delivery of, a Fiat/Peugeot based van at present.  These faults should all be sorted out by the supplying dealers before vans are delivered to their customers.  Lets hope they all are!

Archived