Major Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen problems/ Reversing judder

AndyStothert

AndyStothert - 2009-02-26 11:57 AM and didn't take comfort from the fact that their new parts express delivery van is a Renault Master. I think this says it all.

Andy, as someone who started looking for his first ever MH back in November I have followed the thread here and elsewhere. I'm gobsmacked that the first thread exceeded the server capacity, I didn't think that was possible, and none of the other forums I visit have ever got to 41 pages either!!!

I also think it's significant that dealer uses Renault Master vans, in fact I've deleted all the Sevel offerings from my list. Ford Transit don't seem to offer an auto option so that leaves me with Renault / Mercedes or the (smallish) VW

A kind member on here has sent me some PM's about the Renault Master and I'm thinking that may be my choice (The Sprinter being a tad over my budget)

So, don't get too stressed, you've helped me and I'm grateful for that.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My van is booked in for engine mounts on Monday, I thought its about time I tried my van up a step gradient, however, locally were I live, we do not have what you would call very step gradients.

My van is a Autotrail Cheynne 660 on a Maxi 40 chassis, 2.3 engine 6 speed box with the higher first and reverse gear than the 3 litre. At time of test the van is empty. Maximum torque produced 2000 rpm as opposed to 1700 rpm on the 3 litre.

I tried a forward hill start, due the high first gear, I had to use high revs and slip the clutch, I tried it with low revs and slip the clutch it shuddered and stalled, I tried low revs and not released the clutch it stalled dead.

Now I tried revs low revs and slip the clutch, severe vibration, increased the revs to 2000 +, still vibrating like hell. Tried Fiats 1300 rpm + vibrates like hell engine bogged down.

I actually need a low First gear more in line with that fitted to the 3 litre ( which produced significantly more torque than the 2.3) , my reverse gear is much higher than first, I am not suprised it cannot cope. And owe yes my clutch has now cooled down.

Stupid page has locked again and requires rolling over. Which this post has made it do.

(edit - **************)

Andy, I think maybe you need to consider maybe starting a new thread,

I know it is nice to see the total number grow on this one, but its

beginning to get too wide for some peeps depending on their screen size

and they will need to scroll across to see the full text width.

Jon.

Andy - a suggestion if you want to start a 'new' thread due to the size of this getting so big.

Why not put a link to this thread in your 'signature' that way if anyone wants to read it they can do so and it won't be lost forever. It will then allow a new more manageable sized thread to be used instead.

I would do it myself but as I don't have a judderer (thank goodness!) I don't feel 'qualified'. :-S

I'm not sure I understand that (being a bit thick where computers are concerned) but I'll sit down later and write out a fresh start.

Meanwhile has anyone downloaded all this? I now (hopefully I'm wrong) suspect we are headed for a courtroom at some stage.

Melvin,

What response did you get from Autotrail or the dealer you bought your Cheyenne 660 from, I assume you have been in touch with them about your juddering transmission? Which dealer did you buy it from? I am also interested in your comments about the 3ltr gearbox having lower ratios than your 2.3ltr, where have you got the information from as it will help me with my inpending purchase of a 3ltr Autotrail from Richard Baldwins.

rolandrat - 2009-03-01 3:40 PM

Melvin,

What response did you get from Autotrail or the dealer you bought your Cheyenne 660 from, I assume you have been in touch with them about your juddering transmission? Which dealer did you buy it from? I am also interested in your comments about the 3ltr gearbox having lower ratios than your 2.3ltr, where have you got the information from as it will help me with my inpending purchase of a 3ltr Autotrail from Richard Baldwins.

Nooooo My 3ltr Autotrail Scout with only 200mls Juddered reversing onto a campsite and cooked the clutch.

Rolandrat,

Both Autotrail and the dealer Don Amott denied any knowledge of the problem, when I reported my van they said this is the first they have heard of it. And yes they were not the slightest bit intrested. Once they have your money you are on your own. I strongly recommend you listen the sound advice being given on this site, if I knew what I know now, I would have not brought a Fiat. :$

rolandrat - 2009-03-01 4:21 PM

yeti,

whats been happening so far with your juddering problem, have you been offered a solution to put it right. Are you a member of the Autotrail owners club and if so will you be going on the factory visit in April to confront them?

Roland,

I am on Fiats list spoke to Fiat at the show in October clutch replaced together with a complete raft of recalls,they prefer to call them campaigns, which the garage who did the PDI should have been aware,it include water ingress.

I think the club's hands are tied although my wife did make very strong representation to one of AT seniors.

Camper assist was a farce.

A great shame as my version is a fabulous conversion.

Melvin - 2009-03-01 5:40 PM Rolandrat, Both Autotrail and the dealer Don Amott denied any knowledge of the problem, when I reported my van they said this is the first they have heard of it. And yes they were not the slightest bit intrested. Once they have your money you are on your own. I strongly recommend you listen the sound advice being given on this site, if I knew what I know now, I would have not brought a Fiat. :$

Well, I've never considered myself a particularly lucky person but I'm sure glad I've not yet invested in a MH

I was also told by one firm that they had never heard of the problem. I find that very hard to believe, and will not be using them even 'tho they have Merc. & VW listed as alternatives they quoted an incredibly long delivery time.

• 4 months later...

However Fiat and Peugeot are concerned enough (even about the 5 speed box) that a modified version will be in production in about 5 weeks time.

Peugeot tell us that the modified 6 speed gearbox is now in production and is being fitted to ALL the vehicles coming out of the Sevel factory, no matter what badge is on them.

Re: Andy Stotherts comments above - for those of us who are contemplating buying a new motorhome does anyone know how you can tell whether the modified gearbox has been fitted, eg chassis number?

Cheers, Jim

Archived