Major Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen problems/ Reversing judder

AndyStothert

Henry,

I didn't say there are no recorded problems - there are plenty of complaints from owners with the 5 speed box.

I said that I wasn't aware of any damaged clutches or gearboxes.

And the reverse gear ratio on the 5 speed vans is higher than 1st. For safe driving in confined steep spaces, where you can't see where you're going, this is not a sensible idea.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mines a 5 speed Peugeot and I am complaining who says 5 speeds do not have problems?

And if you trust the dealer after all the information given thats your choice.

I trusted the dealer I bought from I asked about the water ingress problem and was told thet had never heard of it,that was not true and later I found others who had bought from same dealer and had reported the problem before I bought mine.

I also contacted the converter they had never heard of it either!

The revesing problems the same, at first Peugeot said it did not exist they are now calling it a juddering problem,they knew all the time.

I still ask Peugeot to reply and is their anybody who has had their van fixed and that fix has cured the problem.

I was I had never bought mine.

Hi Rupert123,

Really glad you are posting on this thread. As you say you are telling it like it is and with no axe to grind. Do feel that some contributers have had previous problems with Fiat or a particular dealer and therefore have an axe to grind. So thanks Rupert you are keeping our spirits up, we are looking forward to our new van and anticipate judder free motoring.

But I hear some of you say what if it does judder? No worries, we will keep bright, enjoy touring France and avoid reversing up steep narrow hills with no clear view till time to change again!

Robert and Jean

RobertandJean, I don't own one , have never had a Fiat and have no axe to grind either. But I would no more buy one, having followed this thread from the beginning, than jump off a cliff.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but I honestly think you're bonkers to chance your money until it's all been sorted.

AndyStothert - 2009-02-22 9:42 AM

Henry,

I didn't say there are no recorded problems - there are plenty of complaints from owners with the 5 speed box.

I said that I wasn't aware of any damaged clutches or gearboxes.

And the reverse gear ratio on the 5 speed vans is higher than 1st. For safe driving in confined steep spaces, where you can't see where you're going, this is not a sensible idea.

Sorry Andy, that is what I meant, their will always be a few who jump on the bandwagon, problems or not. I find reverse gear is fine. Another great article by the way in what is otherwise becoming a pretty boring magazine.

To anyone who thinks those who post on here are being selfish or dislike a particular dealer etc is not correct.

Most are seasoned M/H users, many are qualified motor engineers and craftsmen with years of technical background, and many have knowledge of the workings of the motor trade from the inside.

Others have years of travel experience all over Europe and beyond.

The FIAT product that is being discussed is a faulty one. There is advice on here whereby you accept or reject what is stated, the choice is yours.

It is no different to buying a house in a street where several have been prone to flooding. You know what can happen but you still hope that the water stops at the gate.

Hi All Long suffering fiat owners.

The pain goes on, last week was informed to bring motorhome in for engine mounting change, now they have delayed until 26th, quoting "delay in parts".

Would very much appreciate knowing from those of you who have had the change, if it made any difference, and perhaps more importantly did it cause other problems (i.e. going forward!) drivability

Thanks

The pain goes on, last week was informed to bring motorhome in for engine mounting change, now they have delayed until 26th, quoting "delay in parts".

Would very much appreciate knowing from those of you who have had the change, if it made any difference, and perhaps more importantly did it cause other problems (i.e. going forward!) drivability

Thanks

Thanks

well yesterday as I said, I would be going to the Fiat stand at the NEC and I did. I discussed the juddergate problem with a very receptive guy called Steve, we had a very long conversation highlighting various points which to put them all down on here would take some considerable time so I will touch a few. He was concerned about some comments made on this forum, very unfair. I replied that in view of the seriousness of the judder they were warranted rightly or wrongly. He said that Fiat had allowed it to run to long before taking action to remedy it but Turin was now involved and a solution was being considered. At no stage did he say what it would be. Whilst I was with Steve my wife was in the hospitality area and spoke to numerous owners who had come to register their juddering problems and at the end of my discussion I managed to speak to an owner of a van conversion who told me that his camper has had a serious judder from the very day he took delivery of it and he lives in a property with a steep drive where he parks it so he constantly has the problem. He is demanding to have it put right.

It will be interesting to see what Turin comes up with and based on what Steve said I dont think, and it's only my opion, no solution has been finalised otherwise he would have freely mentioned it.

Also whilst I was there I went onto the National Caravan Councils stand and discussed the judder problem with them and they said that although Fiat was a member they weren't aware of it, if any one cared to complain to their office they would take it up as it would be a serious matter.

As regards publicising or naming and shaming it needs solidarity from all concerned to be involved because in my experience there are always people about who can load a gun but aren't prepared to fire the bullets.

Stevef - 2009-02-22 11:39 AM

Thanks

Hi stevet

Back on page 37 Andy Stothert reported on the first outcomes of the engine mounting replacements. His post was as follows:

"The bad news from the owners who have had the revised engine mountings fitted is that they haven't reduced the juddering on the transmission sufficiently to be acceptable.

The worse news is that it hasn't (and it obviosuly wasn't going to) stop the clutch burning on attempting to reverse up a steep hill.

The worse than ever inews is that 3 out of 4 report that there is now an increased level of noise and vibration going forwards in all gears.

So Fiat have not improved the problem we all face for probably less than 1% of driving time (reversing), but in the process have worsened the driving experience of going forwards which accounts for 99% of the driving.

This is a complete farce.

And the even worse still news is that Fiat can't confirm whether the modified gearbox is now in production?

So it looks like they are still coing out of the factory with the same defect."

Doesn't look like good news I'm afraid.

David

Update for Fiat Ducato 2.3ltr customers

As you are now mainly aware that the modifications have begun. This process is being monintored closely by Customer Relations and our Technical Department.

A number of customers have had the engine mounts fitted and the vehicles tested. As advised previously, the vehicle is then tested by the customer and the dealership.

Our technical department are going to visit a number of vehicles at the dealerships to inspect the mounts and advise on any further modification if required.

Our intention is to make sure that these modifications work and should we require these to stop for further testing, we will. I'm sure that our customers would understand if we felt that the modifications were not working and required further support.

We enjoyed meeting many of you at the NEC show last week. It was good to put some faces to names.

In a previous post, we did advise that we would look again to see if posting in this forum was effective. It is becoming very time consuming and is drawing us away from our main duty of assisting our customers directly.

We will now cut back on the amount of posts on here, however, we will still be responding to private messages and post when we have further information.

If you have a concern and would like to contact us, you can reach us by email - customerrelations@fiat.com

telephone - 00800 3428 0000

Address - 240 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 4DX

Please note that we can only assist UK Fiat customers.

Fiat UK - 2009-02-23 9:38 AM

Update for Fiat Ducato 2.3ltr customers

In a previous post, we did advise that we would look again to see if posting in this forum was effective. It is becoming very time consuming and is drawing us away from our main duty of assisting our customers directly.

We will now cut back on the amount of posts on here, however, we will still be responding to private messages and post when we have further information.

Please note that we can only assist UK Fiat customers.

Sorry to sound a bit sardonic, but to say that "It is becoming very time consuming" does not ring very true to me, after all, at this time you have only made 15 posts in total!

UK Fiat customers can be assisted, so what about folk who have bought Hymers etc, are they on their own?

Yet again, Fiat show their institutional customer indifference.

What we have from Fiat is another statement saying absolutely nothing.

No facts about the reasons why engine mountings are being fitted, no fcat about what they hope to achieve, no fact about about exactly what they are going to do if they don't work (which they don't) and no technical information whatsoever.

They are studiously avoiding telling anyone anything of substance. If they were being honest and above board they could tell us everything - after all the truth has no enemies, but this is a sham.

Peugeot have already told us all where the problem lies. We all know what causes the transmission problems ( the reverse gear being too high) and everyone should keep their focus on the facts rather than allow Fiat to wear us down with their constant evasions and deceptions.

If Fiat were being honest they would tell us where the fault lies and why they are doing what they are doing in specific technical terms.

But they can't can they? That would expose this dishonest sham.

I've taken little or no part in this business for various reasons but I feel compelled to now I've just read Fiats latest response.

"Becoming very time consuming"

If I was a Fiat judder sufferer I'd be incensed at those words.

Fiat, boy do your Customer Relations People needs some training.

When customers, be them face to face or posts on a forum, have or are becoming "time consuming" it's time to have a good look at yourself and ask why you're in business then.

In our now sold on Family business, my late Father often used to say, there's little in business hurts more than seeing one of your customers in a competitors shop.

Fiat, you'd do well to heed his words.

Martyn

Archived