Oh heck ... 'Accent' on an expensive day ...

Mel B

Hi Arthur

I've signed up for Swift Talk as suggested and am just waiting to be approved. :-D

As for the battery, I've been reading up on all the spec and know it's an AGM type of battery - the dealer stressed it was very important to have the second battery the same as the first so that's what I expect them to install. :-S

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh heck, hubby's got the spending bug! He's bought a new 'toy' for the camper already! 8-)

After removing the existing rear-view camera system from the Flash, which took an age to do as he had to remove all the cabling etc, he said he fancied this one instead.

New toy

We met a chap on holiday earlier in the year who had bought one and it looked a very nice kit - he thought it was the bees-knees - as it is wireless there's no pratting running cables down and under the van either, plus it does sat nav and other things too.

Congrats on the purchase Mel....Malvern seems to be an expensive show for some reason.  Two years back we went and shortly after due to the 'Malvern effect' we dropped £40k (ish) on a new MH...then last year it was almost £700 on a fitted gaslow system and this year £500(ish) on a solar panel.....don't know if I can afford to go next year.....(lol)

Oh and if that's the view from hubby's new reversing camera...can I have one as well please...hehe

:-D

There is one 'major' problem though! Currently our 2 little monsters, Lily and Tazzy sleep at the foot of our bed as its so long and it keeps them happy so they don't start to potter and squeak in the night and also means that Romy the heffalump can sprawl out in the large dog bed on her own. The bed in the Accent, whilst being 2 inches wider with no 'cut-off', is about 8 inches shorter ... any tips on how to 'tell' then little ones that they'll have to be 'evicted'!!!! I've got a feeling that somehow that's a battle we'll lose and they'll end up snuggled in each of the bottom corners!!!

*-) You and I will have to compare notes Mel ;-) as to-day we have signed for an Alto :-D We got a very good deal from Brownhills Burtree were getting the 2013 model at the end of Sept; (hopefully) .

We have ordered this because we wanted the fixed bed hopefully we will manage and O.H wont mind if he has to lie down out of the way while Im cooking (lol) the two dogs will probably join him so Ill have the rest of the van to move about in.

Its going to be fun trying to decide what we dont really need to take and what we do. I wont know untill we get it to see what space I have as we havent seen one in the flesh so to speak! but I think we have done the right thing taking in account our ADVANCED AGES well John is 7 years older than me and Im looking forward to sharing the driving with him, he wasnt keen on me driving the KonTiki and the handbrake alone scared me to death !! I hope it is more user friendly and doesnt need an extension !! maybe someone else can tell me us about that??

Now like you I have to start removing all the unnecessary paraphernalia Ive had stashed away in our van for the last 7 years. Wish me luck and make sure you mention any handy containers you find that will fit.

(lol) ;-)

Wow Maggy .... I seem to have started a trend!!!! :D

We liked the Alto too but love the rear lounge layout of the Accent but I imagine a lot of the time it will remain made up as a bed, but at least we have the choice, you obviously will have the 'benefit' of a proper mattress! :D

It's taken ages to empty the Flash and return it to it's original 'as new' condition, now just need to give it a good swill out and put a few bits back in. We were going to go to a campsite for Tuesday night so we'd be at the dealers bright and early on Wednesday, then staying in it nearby for a few days to make sure everything is okay, culminating in a visit to the Newark show on the Saturday before heading back home but that's not gonna happen now! :-(

... because I've won camping tickets to the Shepton Mallet Motorhome show!!!! :->

So instead we'll go to the dealers bright and early on Wednesday morning, stay on the campsite for a couple of days then head home, giving Newark a miss as I'll have a lot to do and get sorted before we go to Shepton Mallet, some things will be done before, others will wait until we get back.

Currently on my list of things to do/consider are:

- Make seat covers for all of the dinette seating *-) (I got some lovely suede effect lilac curtains at a car boot sale yesterday which will do the job perfectly, will wipe clean easily and won't let dog hairs get hooked into them. :-D ). If they go well and I have enough material I might just consider making some for the cab seats too but they are an absolute pain in the bum to do, so I might not! :-S

- Put protective coverings on the 2 tables so they don't get scratched/marked

- Put up my tea/coffee/sugar holder & containers, and kitchen roll holder

- Make a 'gate' of some sort to stop the Tazzy monster escaping out of the side door and probably the rear doors too! *-)

- Sort out some shelving/baskets to use for putting morning cuppa on/magazines, glasses etc in

- Possibly put shelves in the wardrobe as it is a much more efficient use of space - will see how we got on first though.

- Move the existing TV bracket out of the cupboard above the cooker (that'll be my mug, kettle etc store!) and put it in the rear lounge along with an extra 12v socket as that's where the TV will 'live' normally.

- Install a second TV bracket in the front part of the van (probably above the rear seats) so we can move the TV there if we want and possibly another 12v socket depending on the location and what's available nearby (I won't bother installing an extra aerial connections as we very rarely watch live TV so if we want to I'll just put a lead across to the existing aerial point).

- Make a removable/foldable slatted base section for the rear dinette to use instead of the table/boards for making the bed

- line all lockers with anti-slip material/matting

- I may install the boom arm table at the rear of the passenger seat so it can be used for meals instead of the wall mounted table when we're watching TV there - fortunately I picked up a nice round grey finish 'lazy Susan' about 60mm across for 50p from a car boot sale which I can use for the top - although at the time I didn't know I was changing the van but thought it might come in handy which it will! :->

No doubt the list will get much longer!!!! :D

(lol) Keep them coming !!

I thought I would just put a folded blanket on the chairs but your idea will look much better, I might just make some covers over the winter when I will have more time, I cant see us going away then we never have up to now ;-) but never say never. I was thinking we should move the t.v bracket so we can watch from the bed as during the day we don't watch it much!! but I have to wait as I don't really know where anything is apart from the sink fridge etc;

We were thinking of heading to Scotland when the kids go back to school but we.ll have to wait now and hope for an Indian Summer. :-D

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2012-08-21 9:08 PM

peter - 2012-08-21 9:07 PM

Blimey Mel. You seem to change your van's as often as your knickers.

Hope you enjoy it. :D

Trying to keep up with the Judge doncha know! :D

Bless you my child......visiting Assisi in morning and getting into practice. Its the birthplace of my favourite saint, St Francis. Rumour has it I will be barred entry to the basilica due to my scandalous character and wanton ways..beyond redemption apparently which is a bit much *-)

Tuscany was stunning but temps over 40 deg C so not good to be doing much in the afternoons....cooling back down a bit soon to mid 30's which i like..Ferry to Croatia on sunday so a great trip so far....

nice to see common sense has prevailed and you have bought a proper camper at last, along with Rupert. Who is next I wonder..... Kirby? :D

If £ keeps going up going to treat myself to a La Strada next year all being well, enjoy the new van and make the most of it! xx Ed

. I'd be interested to hear of the build issue problems - I'm aware of the tap pipes possibly leaking and causing flooding due to the connectors not being secured properly and coming loose due to vibration (something I'll check when I get it). 

If its the 12mm push on connectors causing problems you can try some 12mm pipe inserts as they stiffen up the pipe where it pushes into the connector my son being an all round builder said he could not understand the fitters not using the inserts as he doe's on all plastic water pipe fittings.

For warned is for armed as they say :-) there are also a couple of interesting articles in this months Sep; mag; one on page 177 titled 'Modifications to last' and in the

Which mag that accompanies this months there is a test piece on the Autocruise Quarted one of the things picked up was the screws on the washroom door catch possibly working loose! and a mention of the top cupboards coming open in transit :-S hope this has been rectified by Swift in subsequent models also the mpg Best 27.2mpg worst 23.9 :-( I do hope that is wrong!! mind that was with 4 people in the van two adults and two children !! but I didnt think that was very good as we reckon we get about 28mpg in our KonTiki.

Im tempted to be buying bits and pieces we might need but luckily my O.H isnt as impetuous as me and is telling me I have to wait and see what is needed before wasting cash on things that are of no use or space for !! so Im taking notes of any tips for things that you people that already have the van, are doing.

Also Mel what do you think of these s low cooker bags!! you cook a pan of stew for twenty mins; with the lid on put inside this bag pull the strings tight and leave for 2 or 3 hours on a work top or table, meat just falls apart !! £30 ??

Id rather have something different to my pressure cooker (hasnt been used for years) Im not that keen ! Im thinking will steam the van up?? Im thinking microwave!! but no good if not on a hookup!! Halogen !! the same barbecue a (no go) whats left ?? grill and pans!! we like Oven chips !! with NO oven that ones out !!

Suggestions please !! on a postcard !!!

silly these emotions only go on the bottom!! WHY

:-S :-S (lol)

Maggy - fortunately I have a load of bits and pieces I've collected over the years from car boot sales etc 'just in case' so have a good stash to rummage through for what I want, there might be odd bits I need but I'll wait and see.

I've already got quite a few 'sucker' type tubs, holders, hooks etc which I'll use in the washroom as that's a room I don't really want to be putting holes in if I can help it! 8-)

We're initially going to put the TV at the foot end of the bed on the side of the wardrobe only and see if we ever want to use it up front as, like you, we usually slob out on the bed to watch DVDs, as the electrics etc are just below the seat there installing a socket to power it shouldn't prove difficult at all.

Another job is to install a light above the cooker - why there isn't one ther already I haven't a clue. *-) I have a nice switched small fluorescent light which I have removed from the Flash (yes, I've made good where it was!) so will put that there, again with the electrics being just above in the TV locker it'll be easy to do.

I've resisted the temptation to buy stuff, other than the material, for the 'van as I'll see how full it gets first with the stuff I've already got! :D

If you really want to have an 'oven' I'd suggest having a good look at the larger of the Double Skillets - I got one 2 years ago when we bought the Flash and it really is good - fantastic chicken and roast spuds, pizzas, toasted sarnies and ... oven chips! :-> I don't use it as much as I could but we tend to have a lot of salads and BBQ when on holiday abroad, but here in the UK it gets more use. They do come up from time to time on Ebay and on the 'Buy and Sell' section of this website, Caravan Club etc, so don't rush into getting one as you might pick one up cheaper second hand (usually just means they've never bothered to use it at all so 'as new'!).

As for the cooker bag - the Wonderbag - I saw it demonstrated on TV a while back as it was invented for people in the poorer countries to save their scarce fuel - very interesting but not sure if it would work in a 'moving' motorhome!

Wonderbag

There are similar cookers, one of which we saw at Malvern. They are meant to be 'non-electric' slow cookers which work like the Wonderbag but, IMV, are a bit more suited to a motorhome as they tend to have locking lids - they are called thermal or vacuum cookers - this is the Malvern one:

One seen at Malvern

Recipes

If you Google/Ebay thermal cooker you should see a range of them.

Lakeland do a version although they say it is a hot pot for keeping food warm, but I can't see much difference especially as the buyers it seem to use it in the same way as the one called 'thermal cookers'. For once though the Lakeland one is cheaper!!!! 8-) Yes, hard to believe I know!!!! :->

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/15557/Stay-Hot-Pot

As for a pressure cooker, I have a small one which I use and it is great, I got it from B&M stores (may be national?), it was supposed to be £14.99 but when I got to the checkout it was only £10!!! I've used it a few times now and it really is great and it doesn't steam the van up as you only just have it hissing gently - I always put it outside to let the steam off and remove the lid there first then bring it back into the van. The beauty of a pressure cooker is that if you don't let the pressure out it will continue to cook the contents, so you can take it off the gas earlier and do your other bits whilst it continues cooking the veg etc, so for me it makes sense to have one in a motorhome to save on the gas but also to free up space on the hob ... especially since the Accent (and Alto) only have 2 rings! :-S The only reason I didn't use one before is due to the size of the standard ones, but the smaller one is perfect for the 'van. :->

Hymer C 9. - 2012-08-25 3:27 PM

Mel sounds as if you are going to be busy, you will need some new drill bits by the time you have finished, will you have anywhere for Chris to store any finds he comes across on his travels. (lol) bet you will enjoy putting it all together. Carol.

It's taken ages to clear it out, clean it, and sort all the bits out - just finished this morning and have put some essentials back in for the couple of days when we pick up the new van - it looks very 'posh' now that all the 'proper' upholstery etc is on show again, whoever gets it will think the seats have never been sat on!!! :D

As for Chris - he's been 'banned' from doing anything when we get the new van ... suffice to say that his idea of 'helping' isn't mine! :-| I'd have had the Flash sorted much quicker if he'd just b*ggered off and left me to it!!! :D

Not sure how much in the way of 'finds' we'll get in the new van, but I have already been pricing up roof racks and ladders just in case we need to 'expand' a little for longer holidays. :$

Stay Hot Pot has been discontinued Mell but really like you we eat a lot of salad with savoury rice with our meat etc when abroad!! but in this country *-) like at the moment and later salad is not often on the menu !! never mind I will look for a smaller pressure cooker, mine is a prestige very big and heavy and probably cost quite a bit more than the B&M (was in there this morning buying Yorkshire Tea bags) :-D

You know the three pin plug points ! when we were talking in the showroom John mentioned the plugs and I said " that shouldnt be a problem as eldest Son and Grand-Son are Electricians :-S the salesman said that the warrenty might be a problem if not done by the service dept £100 a plug >:-( yes right !! cant see O.H paying that when he puts plugs in himself and all our previous vans.

And Hi to Carol not seen you here for a while. :-D

Back to our van purchase ... :D

Getting the balance of the money to pay for the van from our bank isn't easy! Hubby transfered the funds from our savings account to our current bank account and we got a phone call on Wednesday from the bank, obviously about to ask us if we needed to 'put' it anywhere (we've had those sorts of calls before!), so before she could start the speel hubby told her it would be coming out again shortly! As hubby was going to ring them anyway it was quite fortuitous that she called so he told her he'd like to collect £10k in cash next Tuesday (its easier that way as there's no risk of the bank not transferring the funds, or problems with the debit card by doing it electronically), however he was told by the girl that they wouldn't be able to let us have the money by then! 8-) Apparently this is because its coming up to month-end and it was unlikely that they wouldn't have enough cash at any of the branches. *-)

Hubby explained that we need it for then as we have arranged to pick the van up next Wednesday morning! She wasn't hopeful but did some checking at other branches and fortunately another one will have it for us thank goodness. I appreciate that they don't just have mountains of cash sitting around, but it is getting daft when you can't get at your own money even when giving them notice! :-|

.....have you checked that CamperUK will accept that much cash?

It is close to (but probably just under) the "money laundering" limits (and some firms don't like getting close to the limit).

CHAPS is the alternative (and CAMPERUK are certainly up for that).

Why do you need cash? We paid the total amount for our new van, less the £1000 deposit, by debit card, no problem. When they put the card through they had to telephone visa card services who asked a few questions, cleared it with our bank, no problem. Robinhood is correct in that most companies do not like cash, it costs them money to put through a business bank account. The money laundering thing is not a problem through if paid in to your own bank and the will happily take large amounts if they know you.

rupert123 - 2012-08-26 9:55 AM

The money laundering thing is not a problem through if paid in to your own bank and the will happily take large amounts if they know you.

....though as I've noted, this transaction probably fall just under the limits, "the money laundering thing" IS a problem.

Businesses which receive large payments in cash (AFAIR above the equivalent of €15,000) MUST be registered with HMRC. The restriction does not apply for non-cash payments (debit/credit card, bank transfer, etc).

If CamperUK are not registered, then it would be against the law to make such a payment to them, and I am sure they are aware of that.

I also believe that, if you are not in the habit of making large cash deposits at a particular bank, then you are likely to get some pretty detailed questioning if you exceed the above limit with a deposit (for the same reason).

JOhn went in to Nationwide yesterday to have a word they said it costs £25 to do an electronic transfer!! and Im sure the salesman said they would rather it was done that way as sometimes they have problems when its done with Debit card and our bank advised Credit card (which is a no no) aparently!! you think you have problems Mel 8-) they want £22.000 off us !!

By the way thanks for the info on pressure cookers but they look the same size as the one Ive got :-S Ill need to see one and lift it before I buy ;-) because I have a weight freek watching me.

Ive emptied (well nearly) our van this morning while the sun is shining Cor Blimey (lol) where is it all going?? NO Ive put lots away and chucked quite a bit as well.

We have to arrange L.P gas as were leaving our bottle with the van !! the cupboard had to be altered to fit it ! and we will need new solar panel as ours is stuck down rather than screwed!! :-S someone is getting a bargain!! remis blinds we fitted and cruise control, but these come as standed in the new van

so not bothered we did get offered more from Brownhills £4,000 more than Lowthems !

Robinhood - 2012-08-26 10:12 AM

rupert123 - 2012-08-26 9:55 AM

The money laundering thing is not a problem through if paid in to your own bank and the will happily take large amounts if they know you.

....though as I've noted, this transaction probably fall just under the limits, "the money laundering thing" IS a problem.

Businesses which receive large payments in cash (AFAIR above the equivalent of €15,000) MUST be registered with HMRC. The restriction does not apply for non-cash payments (debit/credit card, bank transfer, etc).

If CamperUK are not registered, then it would be against the law to make such a payment to them, and I am sure they are aware of that.

I also believe that, if you are not in the habit of making large cash deposits at a particular bank, then you are likely to get some pretty detailed questioning if you exceed the above limit with a deposit (for the same reason).

I am aware of all that and as I said it is not a problem, any large m/h or car dealer will certainly be registered. If as an individual and you pay a large amount into your own account at your own branch it is very unlikely they will question it. What I actully said though money was not a problem if paid into your OWN bank and they know you. Do wish people would read posts properly before jumping in with replies.

rupert123 - 2012-08-26 12:58 PM

Do wish people would read posts properly before jumping in with replies.

....so do I ;-)

If you read my reply, then you will see that I was, in effect, agreeing that it wouldn't be a problem if you were in the habit of paying in large sums to your Bank. (Except perhaps the first few times).

The original debate, however, was about Mel paying CamperUK, not into the Bank, so I'm not at all sure what that had to do with it. :-S

I was merely trying to be helpful with a relevant post. I bought my last 'van from CamperUK, (who may or may not be registered) and they were quite strong on having a Chaps payment (though it was a bit above the threshold).

If Mel has already agreed a cash payment, then all very well and good, if not, it would be worthwhile checking.

In 2009 I bought a car using my current account debit-card, paying around £10k. To ensure that the payment was above board, before accepting the payment a representative of my bank phoned the car dealership, asked to speak to me and went through the usual security questions. I suspect this would be standard practice and I would not have considered using cash.

Archived