Oh heck ... 'Accent' on an expensive day ...

Mel B

Well they do themselves no favours when this is what they are passing as alright >:-( they hadn't reckoned on our Mel (lol) Brian we went into a hobby that had water dripping onto the table coming from the roof light!! don't know if it was a heki or not!! these things happen you get some good and some bad! a van is only as good as the team that worked on that particular one.

This is bad Mel it shouldn't of even been necessary on such a new van!! Well lets hope that when you do eventually get it back it is as new, it has burst your bubble a bit hasnt it?? I hope all this is on Swift talk and they recompense you for all this hassle. :-S

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
maggyd - 2012-10-30 1:14 PM

Brian we went into a hobby that had water dripping onto the table coming from the roof light!! don't know if it was a heki or not!! these things happen you get some good and some bad!

True.."things do happen"...but I doubt that Hobby had just been in to have that fault repaired..... ;-)

..and as it seems that Swift can't even put their windows in level/in line or stick some decals on to a satisfactory standard,it does make you wonder what the vehicles are like "behind the scenes"..? *-)

It all sounds poor..very poor...!

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2012-10-30 1:37 PM

Brian we went into a hobby that had water dripping onto the table coming from the roof light!! don't know if it was a heki or not!! these things happen you get some good and some bad!

True.."things do happen"...but I doubt that Hobby had just been in to have that fault repaired..... ;-)

..and as it seems that Swift can't even put their windows in level/in line or stick some decals on to a satisfactory standard,it does make you wonder what the vehicles are like "behind the scenes"..? *-)

Not to mention if the bloke who does the sticky back plastic comes all the way from Bedfordshire 8-)..............

That probably explains why British vans are so expensive ;-)

Guest pelmetman

Brian we went into a hobby that had water dripping onto the table coming from the roof light!!

It's probably one of those new fangled Heiki's with the built in water feature ;-).......

pepe63 - 2012-10-30 1:37 PM

It is an Autocruise (owned by Swift), I did a bit of digging into the history of the 'van and I think it was one of the very early 2012 models possibly produced for a show and why we don't have the Drive-safe regulator. The window alignment is only noticeable if you look closely - which is how hubby spotted it in the first place - I hadn't even noticed so if he hadn't told me I probably still wouldn't know! :$

The original decals consisted of 2 layers which were separating (faulty batch I believe) but the application of them was very good, so if they hadn't been faulty they wouldn't have needed replacing - I can't really blame Swift/Autocruise for something that they couldn't have know about when they originally built the van.

As for the replacement decals, as Swift got in a graphics company to do the work its him that has 'cocked-up', not them, although they didn't help with the non-sealing and time delay!

Not heard anything yet so if there's nothign from them by tomorrow afternoon, hubby will give them a ring and see what's happening, no point in leaving the van with themif it's gonna be a week or so before they are done again as the van could really do with a run out (don't like to leave it sitting for long periods of time as I don't think it does them any good ... besides which we're missing our new 'baby'!!!! :D The drive looks very bare without him on it. :-|

No point in getting 'angry' with Swift at the moment ... I'll save that for if it's still not right when it's done again .... >:-)

Mel B - 2012-10-30 3:58 PM

...The original decals consisted of 2 layers which were separating (faulty batch I believe) but the application of them was very good, so if they hadn't been faulty they wouldn't have needed replacing - I can't really blame Swift/Autocruise for something that they couldn't have know about when they originally built the van. ...

...As for the replacement decals, as Swift got in a graphics company to do the work its him that has 'cocked-up', not them, although they didn't help with the non-sealing and time delay!

Sorry Mel..but "Swift" sourced,bought and fitted the original decals,which if I recall correctly,were "peeling/seperating" when you first collected the vehicle,so surely,it is very much their fault... :-S ..same goes for this "third party" chap that they brought in.... ;-)

Brian Kirby - 2012-10-30 12:48 PM

For the benefit of Henry (Rupert 123), could you please just remind us which firm made your van, Mel? :-D

Steady on their Brian. I would remind you I no longer have a Swift and can only comment on the two i have had. Sorry to hear of Mels problem but it does not alter the good service I had from my two. I am going to look at a new Swift tommorrow however, which I did not see at the NEC, so may end up with another one yet.

pepe63 - 2012-10-30 5:33 PM

Mel B - 2012-10-30 3:58 PM

...The original decals consisted of 2 layers which were separating (faulty batch I believe) but the application of them was very good, so if they hadn't been faulty they wouldn't have needed replacing - I can't really blame Swift/Autocruise for something that they couldn't have know about when they originally built the van. ...

...As for the replacement decals, as Swift got in a graphics company to do the work its him that has 'cocked-up', not them, although they didn't help with the non-sealing and time delay!

Sorry Mel..but "Swift" sourced,bought and fitted the original decals,which if I recall correctly,were "peeling/seperating" when you first collected the vehicle,so surely,it is very much their fault... :-S ..same goes for this "third party" chap that they brought in.... ;-)

When we bought our van we were the second owner, not the original one from new, so can't be sure when the decals started to deteriorate, but from the speed at which they got worse, I suspect it was after he'd PX'd it as I'm sure he'd have got it sorted himself otherwise. As Swift appear to have had a faulty batch of decals they couldn't have known about this until they started to come off the vans which appears to be around 6 months after they were first applied - no different to any other bought in stuff that develops a fault - can't blame Swift for that surely. As for the chap they brought in, they're not happy either about the shoddy job he's done - going to ring them this afternoon and see what is happening, whether they'll use the same chap again I don't know, but so long as it's done right I don't really care! 8-)

The only complaints I can really level at Swift is the slowness in which they get back in touch with us and the chasing we therefore have to do to find out what's going on, and also for not doing the sealing work that they should have as if they had they would probably had spotted the problem with the new decals, but at least this sealant doesn't have to be removed so the job of replacing the decals this time should be quicker! :-S

Some blame really needs to be placed at the door of our dealer though, as the problem with the decals was there when we first viewed it, albeit to a lesser extent, and we were told they just needed resticking - why they didn't get them sorted before they sold it I don't know. As it is it has turned out to be not a simple resticking job after all, although they may have thought it was as I'm not aware of other decals being made in the same 2 layer way, but if they'd looked at sorting it out before putting it up for sale they'd have found out.

Some may say that I'm not blaming Swift enough simply because I own one, but that isn't the case, it is because I believe in any blame being apportioned correctly. As anyone who reads my posts will know I do post full details, warts and all, where appropriate.

Well they do themselves no favours when this is what they are passing as alright >:-( they hadn't reckoned on our Mel (lol) Brian we went into a hobby that had water dripping onto the table coming from the roof light!! don't know if it was a heki or not!! these things happen you get some good and some bad! a van is only as good as the team that worked on that particular one.....................

Of course they do Maggy , but......................... :-)

First, motorhomes are expensive.

Second, how they are assembled is the result of decisions made by the firm's management. If the team is not working properly, the management need to sort it out.

Third, nearly all, if not all, converters now claim ISO 9001, or similar, quality control credentials, which are independently assessed on a regular basis. This requires a quality inspection on completion of a van.

Fourth, that quality inspection must have failed twice on Mel's van, the first time when it was originally sent from the factory, the second when it was returned for remedial work and the work wasn't properly executed.

Fifth, leaving the customer to be the final arbiter of quality is not good customer service.

Blind quality inspectors are no more use than chocolate teapots. Swift management appoint the QA inspector who is not doing a proper job.

I hold no torch for Hobby, or any other converter, whichever country they inhabit. What I am arguing is that a) such faults should not get through a proper QA system and b) that they do is a matter of concern for us all as customers, but also, where the product is home produced, as Britons, because our whole economy depends on the quality of what we produce. I have bought German made vans, which some criticise, because of the reputation of our home producers, over many years, for producing vehicles that leak, rattle, and gradually de-construct themselves in use.

I live in England, and I should much prefer to buy a home produced van, in the knowledge it is at least as good, and hopefully better, than vans made anywhere else. But, it is my hard earned cash I'm distributing, and I reserve the right to spend it on what seems to me to give me the best chance of a trouble free purchase. If UK manufacturers want my money, they just have to earn themselves the "best in class" reputation I'm looking for. It is no use folk arguing "they are much better now than they were", it means nothing, these reputations take a decade or so to earn and win. I'm certainly not naive enough to believe that everything that comes from Germany will be perfect, it won't. So, what I also want is a converter who will, if necessary, take full responsibility for their product, give it a realistic warranty that they honour, and back their dealers with proper support so that they can put right things that are wrong in a timely fashion. I hear this is possible in UK, but I don't see the evidence that our performance is a good in this regard as is generally achieved by the (predominantly) German producers.

Poor Mel,

So sorry to read about your troubles, understand your frustrations as we've almost done 900miles in total taking our MH back to the dealer for repairs. It ruins everything, but give it some love and attention and I'm sure it will reward you.

Don't know about you can't wait for the power companies to flick the switch on the power supply, due to low capacity, so we have more excuses to sit in our MH whilst it's parked on the driveway. My brother sits in his MH when it's parked up on his driveway all the time. Have to say its a very nice Burstner Elegance ( out of our price range) :-D

rupert123 - 2012-10-31 9:16 AM

Brian Kirby - 2012-10-30 12:48 PM

For the benefit of Henry (Rupert 123), could you please just remind us which firm made your van, Mel? :-D

Steady on their Brian. I would remind you I no longer have a Swift and can only comment on the two i have had. Sorry to hear of Mels problem but it does not alter the good service I had from my two. I am going to look at a new Swift tommorrow however, which I did not see at the NEC, so may end up with another one yet.

I know, Henry, and I do apologise, but I couldn't resist! The flesh was willing, but the spirit was weak! :-D

Guest pelmetman

Still puzzled why Swift are subbing out the sticky back plastic to a firm in Bedfordshire?? :-S...............I used a firm in Louth for our signs and camper graphics, I had a choice of 2 there ;-)........and Louths just down the road from Grimsby *-)

I could understand going further afield if you needed a unique pouffe, or something stiff and padded for your window :D

Dave, I assume they are using the chap in Bedfordshire as it may be the company that supplied the original decals for the Autocruise van conversions, I can't think why else they would as it can't possibly be cheaper than a more local firm. The decals for the 2013 models are different so again I assume the decals are being purpose 'printed/produced' for us.

Anyway, the Customer Services (CS) chap from Swift rang this afternoon - the graphics chap will be back there first thing on Friday and will stay as long as it takes to do a proper job. The CS chap is going to go over the van with him to let him know of all the problems before he starts so hopefully he'll get it right this time! Swift will then need to seal the windows etc on Monday however before they do we're going to go and have a look at it to make sure the decals are right first. 8-) If not .... you'll probably hear me scream!!!! >:-(

As for the quality control checks, as I said previously the decal were almost certainly okay when the van first left the factory and has happened since then. As the replacement of them is being 'administered' by the CS section, and the work done by an external company, it appears that no quality control check, other than the CS chap, has been carried out so it looks like they need to address this lapse in their procedures especially since the CS chap didn't even notice the problems and to hubby originally that he thought we'd be very pleased with the results!! *-)

So, we'll see what Monday brings ... still missing my 'baby' though! :D I'm getting withdrawal symptoms from not being able to 'tinker' with him! :$

Mel B - 2012-08-18 11:26 PM

We were only planned to come to the Malvern show for a relaxing few days and meet up with a few forum friends on our way back after our holiday in Kent/Isle of Wight ... but oh dear it's been an expensive day as we've signed up for a 'new' van!!!! 8-)

Gosh I can't keep up with your van changes Mel!! When I joined this forum you had just bought a Rimor Sailor (I think) but how many have you had since then? Didn't you like any of them? :-D :-D ;-)

Hi Josie

In early 2007 we changed our Rapido 709F at 5.53m long which we'd had for nearly 4 years for a Rimor Sailer 645TC at 7.14m long which was fantastic vehicle but eventually we found it a bit 'big' so in April 2010 we changed for a Chausson Flash 04 at 6m long. The Chausson was brilliant and we really enjoyed it, however this year I left work (hubby had already left at Christmas 2009) and we found that we were able to go away for longer periods of time and our way of holidaying has changed so that a 'narrower' van would suit us better. We therefore changed to our current Autocruise Accent in August this year as it just ticked lots of boxes for us, and we can use it for more than just a 'camper' so we don't need to have our 'largish' car any more which we have found tends to sit in the garage for long periods of time now that I'm not using it to go to/from work. We have now also bought a Smart car for tottling around as its as economical as our scooters but a bit more comfortable and a lot of fun, so we are selling our 2 Sym scooters too which again don't get much use either. We intend to keep the Accent for a long time and I must admit that if we hadn't 'found' it then we'd still have kept the Chausson. :-D

Guest JudgeMental
Mel next time just build your own or buy German.....I would rather get my teeth pulled without anesthetic then buy Swift :-D

josie gibblebucket - 2012-11-06 11:08 AM

Aaaaah now I understand 8-) :-S :D :D Hope you will have lots of happy times in your latest one!! I expect there is less room for the doggies though! ;-)

Actually it's about the same, or even better! The Chausson had a sideways seat just inside the habitation door which made the space more restricted, in the Accent there isn't the seat and although the kitchen unit is a bit longer, because it is a narrower unit, the space doesn't feel tighter. The dogs love it, especially the having the nice big side door being open. :-D

Another update on the decals drama .... *-)

the chap came up from Bedfordshire on Friday last week to do the decals, we left it for Swift to get in touch with us but by Wednesday we still hadn't heard anything so hubby rang them and found that the graphics guy had indeed be up on Friday but that Swift had only just (that day) got round to sealing round the windows. Hubby asked exactly what the graphics chap had done and the Swift chap didn't know!!!! *-) He had told him of the problems but then left him to it and hadn't checked it afterwards and said that he didn't think he'd replaced them as he'd been too quick! 8-)

Hubby let him know that he wasn't happy at all, we hadn't been told what was happening AND it had taken them up to now to tell us AND the job still didn't sound as if it had been done properly AND the Swift chap STILL HADN'T CHECKED IT!!!!!! >:-( >:-( >:-( >:-( >:-( >:-( Hubby said he thought someone should check it and if not we'd go round in the morning and do so ourselves if we didn't hear anything. So, on Thursday morning (yesterday) we got a call to say that the Swift chap had finally checked our van (got off his butt!) but didn't think it was right so had asked the Customer Services director to have a shuftie - she didn't think it was right either so now they want to check what the decals are finished like on other vans however as they are still built at Mexborough (Lincolnshire) they'll have to try to locate one to have a look at, so we've had to leave the van with them yet again. >:-(

Hubby asked the Swift chap to have our van put on hook-up as it is now nearly 3 weeks since it has had a run or been charged and we don't want our batteries being affected by being drained too low (it has a solar panel but we don't know where it's being kept so if it is indoors then there won't be any power being generated by it).

Soooooo ... it's still with them ... we'll see what Monday brings ... but if they dare to say that it 'is within specification' I'll personally swing for someone! >:-(

If it wasn't happening to us I would think this was a comedy/farce of some sort ... I can assure you though that it is NOT funny. :-|

At this rate I'll take the bl**dy decals off completely and get my own put on and charge the b*ggers for them!!!!!! >:-)

If anyone is interested, below is the problem we had with the original decals, although by the time we took it in they had got a lot worse.

1900350697_Nearsideslider-bottomleft-r.jpg.0b659c83e87a7a6eb984e7312031e152.jpg

1859628249_Nearsidetopfridgevent-r.jpg.95bb5497d1d78e1965bda229068e55a1.jpg

1495056865_Offsiderear-right-r.jpg.7b90bf22b957e247f3d1d2ecff90ecd8.jpg

Mel, do you know if anyone has checked what your decals actually are?

I ask, because in your photos it looks as though a translucent layer is lifting off the printed layer beneath (the two layers you mentioned). Our van has two layer decals (product called Oracal) but the outer layer is supposed to be removed, as it is only there to protect the finish. So, in effect, three layers: the backing sheet, the decal proper, and the protective facing. If what is lifting on yours is a protective layer, it would not be surprising, as it is supposed to be removable without detaching the decal beneath.

When you originally spoke of multi-layer decals I was thinking of one colour being partially laid over another to create a two colour effect. Clearly, it is not that, so the purpose of the layer that is loosening is a bit unclear. The decal proper is very thin, and the outer is also supposed to support it during application to stop it wrinkling, which is necessary with large sheets. Once down, they usually stick like the proverbial, so spontaneous lifting seems very odd.

My bet is your decals were fitted after the window openings were cut, but before the windows were fitted, with the window frames sealing onto the decals. If it is a purely protective layer that some chump failed to strip away, what you can now see would be about what I would expect. Maybe worth asking?

That is what it looks like to me as well :-S but if that were the case Swift should have known surely!!

I bet your right miffed off now Mel and you should be demanding them delivering it back to you after the quality control has been over it , it must be costing you a packet on fuel all this travelling backwards and forwards.

Archived