Oh heck ... 'Accent' on an expensive day ...

Mel B

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2012-08-25 10:46 PM

CHAPS is the alternative (and CAMPERUK are certainly up for that).

That's the best thing Mel send a chap round with a bag of cash ;-)...............I'll even offer my services and promise to send a postcard from the Caribbean to confirm the transaction was successful :D

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, check with CamperUK. Last car we bought (last year) was from a multi-brand main dealership, and they wouldn't accept anything other then debit card for £7,000.

There should be no limit on the size of the transaction, subject only to your balance, plus any agreed overdraft limit, being sufficient to cover the cost. It would be sensible to check this with your bank. Ours was Nationwide and was no problem for them.

On the day, the dealer phones the bank, and the bank then asks to speak to you to verify you are the account holder. They then merely confirm to the dealer that the funds are available. There is no charge.

....indeed, use of a debit card should be easy, but some suppliers don't like them (especially for large amounts) since they are not irrevocable. It is entirely possible, under certain circumstances, to pursue a refund under the "chargeback" procedure.

Payment made via CHAPS (or maybe as Dave has noted, Mel ought to use CHAPESSES ;-)). is irrevocable - once transferred, the money remains transferred.

Interesting discussion you are all having! I may be many things but daft ain't one of them (I don't think so anyway! :D ).

We agreed on cash on collection when we paid the deposit as they have had instances where the debit card payment hasn't worked and obviously caused problems. It doesn't bother us and it doesn't bother them either, so no problem envisaged at all. :-)

We are aware of difficulties which have been caused by a debit payment not working for others who have purchased vehilcles, for whatever reason, so would rather not have the hassle ... and there's nothing like having a wad of cash in your hands, even just for a day - it certainly makes you realise just what you're handing over. 8-)

maggyd - 2012-08-26 12:39 PM

JOhn went in to Nationwide yesterday to have a word they said it costs £25 to do an electronic transfer!! and Im sure the salesman said they would rather it was done that way as sometimes they have problems when its done with Debit card and our bank advised Credit card (which is a no no) aparently!! you think you have problems Mel 8-) they want £22.000 off us !!

Am I missing something here? Who decided Credit Card is a "no-no?" All the advice we see (on here and elsewhere) about big transactions is to use a credit card, because of the extra protection that gives under the Consumer Credit Act.

Is it the dealer who won't take credit cards? Can't see why, as "chargeback" can only happen when there's a verified reason - it's NOT just like stopping a cheque.

Tony Jones - 2012-08-27 12:12 PM

JOhn went in to Nationwide yesterday to have a word they said it costs £25 to do an electronic transfer!! and Im sure the salesman said they would rather it was done that way as sometimes they have problems when its done with Debit card and our bank advised Credit card (which is a no no) aparently!! you think you have problems Mel 8-) they want £22.000 off us !!

Am I missing something here? Who decided Credit Card is a "no-no?" All the advice we see (on here and elsewhere) about big transactions is to use a credit card, because of the extra protection that gives under the Consumer Credit Act.

Is it the dealer who won't take credit cards? Can't see why, as "chargeback" can only happen when there's a verified reason - it's NOT just like stopping a cheque.

Tony its Brownhills that have stipulated on the information sheet they have given us CREDIT CARD PAYMENT NOT EXEPTED !!

Tony Jones - 2012-08-27 12:12 PM

The reason they will not take credit cards is almost certainly the amount of charges they have to pay, probably between 2-3% on the transaction.

maggyd - 2012-08-27 1:12 PM

I might try as Brian has suggested ;-) tell the salesman when he rings and see if he will knock it off !! nothing ventured nothing gained as they say. :-D

If that's the way they want the money paying then they should bear the cost not you Maggy ... don't let them off the hook! >:-)

As for paying on credit card, even if the dealer would accept that you'd have to have a credit limit to match and I'm not convinced that many people would have a credit limit of at least £22,000!!! 8-)

By the way thanks for the info on pressure cookers but they look the same size as the one Ive got :-S Ill need to see one and lift it before I buy ;-) because I have a weight freek watching me.

The pressure cooker for the van that I have is exactly the same as this but doesn't have the 'name' on it:

Russell Hobbs pressure cooker

It is a very good buy as it has the 10 year guarantee and comes with the basket, something which was an extra for mine (fortunately I got them at a car boot sale). I too have Prestige pressure cookers too (a few of them - don't ask!) and the above is most definitely a lot lighter and smaller but still plenty big enough to cook a meal for 2-3 people. Curently I store my base pan without the long handle on as it is just a quick twizzle with a screwdriver to attach it again so makes it easier to store. In the new van it will live in the lower kitchen cupboard which is actually quite large along with my other pan and one half of the double skillet (the other part lives in the grill with a smaller frying pan). As well as these I'll take a couple of small saucepans (Tefal ones I got in France with removable handles) and a chip basket (much easier than trying to fish stuff out of hot oil!), plus a metal collapsible steamer which I can use if needs be in one of the pans when just warming up tinned veg etc.

We have to arrange L.P gas as were leaving our bottle with the van !! the cupboard had to be altered to fit it ! and we will need new solar panel as ours is stuck down rather than screwed!! :-S someone is getting a bargain!

Are Brownhills expecting you to leave these with the van? It is possible to remove stuck down solar panels and as your gas bottle went in, it can no doubt come out again!

Mel B - 2012-08-27 9:07 PM

By the way thanks for the info on pressure cookers but they look the same size as the one Ive got :-S Ill need to see one and lift it before I buy ;-) because I have a weight freek watching me.

The pressure cooker for the van that I have is exactly the same as this but doesn't have the 'name' on it:

Russell Hobbs pressure cooker

It is a very good buy as it has the 10 year guarantee and comes with the basket, something which was an extra for mine (fortunately I got them at a car boot sale). I too have Prestige pressure cookers too (a few of them - don't ask!) and the above is most definitely a lot lighter and smaller but still plenty big enough to cook a meal for 2-3 people. Curently I store my base pan without the long handle on as it is just a quick twizzle with a screwdriver to attach it again so makes it easier to store. In the new van it will live in the lower kitchen cupboard which is actually quite large along with my other pan and one half of the double skillet (the other part lives in the grill with a smaller frying pan). As well as these I'll take a couple of small saucepans (Tefal ones I got in France with removable handles) and a chip basket (much easier than trying to fish stuff out of hot oil!), plus a metal collapsible steamer which I can use if needs be in one of the pans when just warming up tinned veg etc.

We have to arrange L.P gas as were leaving our bottle with the van !! the cupboard had to be altered to fit it ! and we will need new solar panel as ours is stuck down rather than screwed!! :-S someone is getting a bargain!

Are Brownhills expecting you to leave these with the van? It is possible to remove stuck down solar panels and as your gas bottle went in, it can no doubt come out again!

They did ask if we were taking anything out, he read the AD that we had placed on e.bay Mel :-S so they did offer as advertised, we have got £20.000 for a 2003 Kontiki so we are satisfied to leave these extra,s the solar panel was bought off e.bay and fitted by John the gas was fitted professionally but taking the bottle would only save a fraction of the rest of the fitting and we are very lazy when it comes to advertising things !! it is pretty full as well as we had it filled on the Mossel on our way back. The cruise control DN fitted but this is on the new van as is the remis blinds and sun canopy.

I suppose it is possible to remove stuck down solar panels 8-) but when my O.H sticks things down !! they stay stuck (lol) NO were not chancing that.

Were looking at a underslung LPG tank as that would free up a cupboard, and its keeping him out of mischief researching these things! and as you get older Mel you will find that the things you are doing now you you wont be bothered to do at 75 (thats not me ) but even at 7 years younger I cant be pestered either!!

Im thinking Take my prestige the first time its not used anyway at home ! if I find its too bulky then find a smaller one or look at halogen or mini oven. Thanks for your interest :-D

Well, we've got it! We’ve currently sitting in the new van on Camper UK's campsite. It took most of the day to sort it out but we finally got there! :-D

This morning they started transferring the solar panel across at around 9.30 am so we took the dogs for what turned out to be a very long walk. When we returned we were 'forced' to spend a lot of time sitting around and drinking hot chocolate from their machine (yummy!) and chatting to other motorhomers. :D We ate our sarnies (thankfully hubby made them before we set off this morning) and eventually got to have a good old shuftie at the van at around 2.00 pm but unfortunately we spotted the first problem.

When we bought it part of the deal was to install a second leisure battery (there was already a 75 ah AGM one in) but instead of getting another matching AGM they'd fitted the largest standard lead acid ones they could - two 100ah Numax LV26MF - which have a 2 year warranty, however I wasn't happy as they are were cheapest basic ones so in the end they changed them for 2 x 100ah Numax CXV27MF ones which have a 3 year warranty, it means that instead of the 2 x 75 ah AGM type giving us 150 ah of power, we've got 2 x 100ah lead acid types giving us 200 ah of power! Whether it was the right decision or not, I don't know, but hopefully it was!!! 8-)

Once they'd changed the batteries we were then given a short hand-over and we commented on the large black band decals (to make it look like a factory type window van) which were coming away around the windows and at one edge, we’d spotted some of this when we saw it at the Malvern show and mentioned it then. Unfortunately as the decals are in two layers they can't simply be re-stuck, so it will need a completely new set of black band decals for both sides which they’ve ordered! It will probably mean taking the outside window frames off, cleaning it all up, then putting it all back again and making it watertight ... I can see that we’ll be having lots more hot chocolate!!! :$

We were then let loose on the van to transfer out kit across which didn't take too long fortunately as we've only brought the bare essentials with us. Other than the battery issue we've not had any other problems and are very happy with the whole process (especially the hot chocolate! :$ ). We're going back tomorrow as the kit they'd got for the solar panel didn't have the right connector in for our van (it has an input specifically for it), so they've ordered it and hopefully it will be here by lunchtime tomorrow so they can fit it after lunch, if not then they're going to attach the cables direct to the batteries for now and then we'll sort out getting the connector fitted later (either one of their techies will come and do it at our home, or they'll pay for someone local to do it).

The bike rack they’ve put on is a very nice piece of kit ... and we got the rear-view mirror too that was missing originally! I’ve already ‘lost’ some bits as I can’t remember where I’ve stuffed them but I’ll find them when I get home! It is very cosy inside and we’ve finally got the gist of how the heating works (never had electric heating before) but it certainly warms the van up nicely. The bed make-up was fairly easy one I’d moved all our junk off it ... and the ‘loo’ has been christened too. :D

We'll be off to bed shortly as we're jiggered - not much sleep last night, up early plus it's hard work sitting around most of the day (although the walk with the dogs was much longer than anticipated!).

All in all, very please with the purchase and service from Camper UK. :-D

Well thats the main job done Mel now its just tweaking isn't it :-D it took a long time , pity they didnt get the batteries right, something we will have to make sure about, they arent moving our solar panel so that is one thing less to wait around for ! we had one delivered yesterday but that can wait untill the weather gets better (and we get our van) *-)

Enjoy it and Im glad your pleased with it. :-D

"When we bought it part of the deal was to install a second leisure battery (there was already a 75 ah AGM one in) but instead of getting another matching AGM they'd fitted the largest standard lead acid ones they could - two 100ah Numax LV26MF - which have a 2 year warranty, however I wasn't happy as they are were cheapest basic ones so in the end they changed them for 2 x 100ah Numax CXV27MF ones which have a 3 year warranty, it means that instead of the 2 x 75 ah AGM type giving us 150 ah of power, we've got 2 x 100ah lead acid types giving us 200 ah of power! Whether it was the right decision or not, I don't know, but hopefully it was!!! "

Mel, you would have been better and had more capacity with the 2 x 75 Ah Gel.

100 Ah numax will be nore like 90 (might be less) and at 50% normal safe discharge = 45Ah.

A gel 75Ah wil give you a very conservative 60% ( dod can be 80%) which is also 45Ah.....and at least 3 times the number of cycles. (the numax is a starter/deep discharge so say 150 cycles. The gel wil be 500 cycles. So there you have it as it is. Sorry. If they agreed to put a 2nd gel in then second gel it should be. You can also leave a gel discharged for longer before battery sulphates permanenty and degrades so all in all a gel is far superior to budget numax batteries.

Will they do the job for you, all depends on your usage and if you are power hungry and wild camp a lot or camp without hookup.

Jon.

Brambles - 2012-08-30 12:16 PM

"When we bought it part of the deal was to install a second leisure battery (there was already a 75 ah AGM one in) but instead of getting another matching AGM they'd fitted the largest standard lead acid ones they could - two 100ah Numax LV26MF - which have a 2 year warranty, however I wasn't happy as they are were cheapest basic ones so in the end they changed them for 2 x 100ah Numax CXV27MF ones which have a 3 year warranty, it means that instead of the 2 x 75 ah AGM type giving us 150 ah of power, we've got 2 x 100ah lead acid types giving us 200 ah of power! Whether it was the right decision or not, I don't know, but hopefully it was!!! "

Mel, you would have been better and had more capacity with the 2 x 75 Ah Gel.

100 Ah numax will be nore like 90 (might be less) and at 50% normal safe discharge = 45Ah.

A gel 75Ah wil give you a very conservative 60% ( dod can be 80%) which is also 45Ah.....and at least 3 times the number of cycles. (the numax is a starter/deep discharge so say 150 cycles. The gel wil be 500 cycles. So there you have it as it is. Sorry. If they agreed to put a 2nd gel in then second gel it should be. You can also leave a gel discharged for longer before battery sulphates permanenty and degrades so all in all a gel is far superior to budget numax batteries.

Will they do the job for you, all depends on your usage and if you are power hungry and wild camp a lot or camp without hookup.

Jon.

The specification of the CXV batteries they've fitted is:

Cold Start Marine Cranking Amps: 900A

500 Cycles

Capacity: 100 Ah

CCA: 900 A

3 Years Guarantee

Dual terminals, Integral state of charge indicator, Anti-flashback safety labyrinths

Low self discharge rate giving long shelf life

So from what it says they too have 500 cycles, and even if they only have a 'real' capacity of 90ah (I seem to recall they had a rated figure of over 100ah but were classified as that size - I'm not taking them out to check!) so that still makes 180ah instead of 150ah.

However, as we have a solar panel the batteries will be kept in a good charge state and/or hooked- up at home. When on holiday we tend to do a lot of tootling around so again that will keep them charged. As the AGM battery was just a 'basic' one, I don't think there is much in it between them. We've had lead acid in all our campers (most of which didn't have a solar panel or regular charging) and never had to replace any of them except one which was replaced under warranty within its second year without a problem by the seller we bought it from - we found out that there was a known fault with them so it was just a matter of time before it dropped dead!

Perhaps the AGM's would ahve been better, an dhad we insisted they would have ordered a second one for us, but overall with our usage and 'care' I don't think we'll have any issues ... I hope not anyway!

:D

Iain Strachan - 2012-08-30 6:53 PM

Got it at last, well done and enjoy! How do the dogs like it?

Cheers Iain

The dogs love it! Lily 'commondered' the swivelled passenger seat whilst I was cooking tea last night and lunch today ... she's not daft! Tazzy likes sprawling on the bed and Romy snuggles on the dinette seat ... somehow I think they like the van and 'assume' it is THEIR new dog kennel!!! We've gotta convince them that we're allowed in it too! (lol)

Today we were back at the dealers for some bits to be sorted and left the rear bed made up and when the back doors were open they enjoyed sneaking under it to peer out! :-D

Romy slept under the front dinette table in her nice comfy bed and hardly murmured all night, the other two snuggled on the end of the bed ... although at one point Lily did 'sneak' into the double sleeping bag with us!!! Although the bed is shorter than the Flash it is full width along its whole length so actually feels a lot bigger:

Flash bed: 2.05m x 1.36m max / 1.18m min

Accent bed: 1.83 mm x 1.35 mm

One thing is for sure though, I am NOT going to use a sleeping bag again ... we took it for ease rather than have to make up the bed last night but it was a pain, felt like straight jacket and if I moved I ended up pulling the base part from under my pillow ... give me a duvet anytime!!! :D

When travelling Tazzy and Romy like the dinette seat as it gives a much better view out of the side window, and Lily seems to be a bit calmer travelling probably due to it not being so 'echoy', she only got a bit het-up when we came home over the Humber Bridge as she could see the 'framework' of it through the windows (she travels on the floor between the cab seats on a nice comfy dog cushion).

Lots of things to do in the camper so I'll be busy for a few days and hopefully will get it mostly sorted before we go to Shepton Mallet show on Thursday.

Mel B - 2012-08-30 8:51 PM

Lots of things to do in the camper so I'll be busy for a few days and hopefully will get it mostly sorted before we go to Shepton Mallet show on Thursday.

See you there!

We don't really "do" the show circuit, but you persuaded us to drop in for the day on Sunday week.

Anyone else going from here?

Been doing a few 'jobs' on the van today:

1) Removed the front dinette table and made a new one and put on some contrasting trim edging to make it match the wall cupboard - as the table is shorter but a bit wider it makes it easier to get from cab to the rear but we haven't lost any surface area. :-D

2) Removed the table top in the rear and replaced it with a smaller/lighter one (a large Lazy Susan that I bought from a car boot sale fo 50p!) so it now looks like a 'cafe bar'. (lol)

3) Put up a TV bracket on the outside of the washroom wall panel, it sits over the end of one of the rear settees so we can watch TV there when we're in bed.

4) I've also managed to squeeze a quart into a pint pot by getting the large Gaslow bottle into the gas locker AND into the smaller side of it - I had to remove the trim round the door aperture and a lump hammer came in handy too to make the base/stand a little bit slimmer to just get it in 8-) - it means we've still got storage for our hoses etc at the side of the bottle. Saves us having to buy 2 smaller Gaslow bottles and the extra kit so well happy! :->

5) Finally I put the tea/coffee/sugar holder up above the hob ... so it now feels like home! :D

I'll be doing more stuff tomorrow so when I get the change I'll take some piccies when it's nice and tidy again (it looks like a bomb has hit it at the moment! :$ ) .

Archived