Oh heck ... 'Accent' on an expensive day ...

Mel B

Maggy - fortunately with Swift only being a couple of minutes away from us it isn't costing us much to go - certainly better than having to go to our dealer's at Lincoln as that would cost us a packet. We'll see what happens on Monday but we'll probably go and get it back as I'm not happy about it not having a run out ... and I miss my 'baby'! :D

Brian - too late to check as they were removed when the new ones were put on ... I wish I'd known about this before as I could have checked as it would have been a much simpler matter to rectify it! *-) As Maggy says, surely Swift, and the graphics guy for that matter, should have know though, as should the dealership. However, there's a chap on the Swift forum who has the same problem so I'll suggest he checks his decals before he does anything about getting them replaced - if you're right it might save him some hassle! :-D

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mel B - 2012-11-10 2:26 PM...................Brian - too late to check as they were removed when the new ones were put on ... I wish I'd known about this before as I could have checked as it would have been a much simpler matter to rectify it! *-) As Maggy says, surely Swift, and the graphics guy for that matter, should have know though, as should the dealership. However, there's a chap on the Swift forum who has the same problem so I'll suggest he checks his decals before he does anything about getting them replaced - if you're right it might save him some hassle! :-D

Well, yes, both Swift, and especially the graphics bod, SHOULD know. But I doubt the dealer would have any knowledge of it.

However, when I got the double skinned decal for ours, I at first thought the colour was wrong, so queried what had been supplied. It was only after Hobby's UK parts manager visited the factory, and they got their decals wizard to demonstrate the product, that anyone realised there was a peelable protective layer on the outside of the decal. It is not usual to have this, so if the decal was chosen from a sample pack, that would not have the protective layer, it is possible no-one realised it was of this type.

The protective is well stuck on: mine was very difficult to persuade to part company with the decal. I'm not claiming this will prove the case, but from your photograph it LOOKS as though it just might be. I'm suggesting you try to find out what make and colour reference the decal is (maybe Avery Graphics), and ask them whether that particular type has the protective layer.

Latest instalment in the decals saga ....

As we requested, Swift put our van on hook-up and, as it was actually being stored inside their factory it was a good job we asked as the solar panel wouldn't have been generating anything and we'd more than likely have had flat batteries by now! 8-)

The person from Swift has now been to Mexborough to see the new Autocruise vans there and some of them have also got the 'wonky edge' problem that ours now has. They are now waiting to speak to their Quality Control chap but as he's on holiday until Monday we decided to collect the van as we want to give it a run out (and I need to move some stuff from my Dad's house as he's now moved into a home), so we'll take the van back at for the QC chap to look at if he needs to. :-S

We collected the van this afternoon and had a shuftie round it and saw that some of the decals had been tidied up by the graphics chap, also the sealing round the windows had been done very, very neatly by the Swift chaps, but there were still problems with wonky edges so basically most of the graphics will have to be removed and redone at some point. *-)

Brian - I asked about a protective layer on the graphics not being removed being the initial problem but this isn't how their decals are made apparently but worth querying nonetheless. :-)

One thing we did notice once we got it home, though, is that the graphics chap has 'scored' the paintwork on the driver's door as there is now a scalpel 'line' about 3cm in length just above the graphics he's trimmed with the paint undercoat showing now, so that's another job that will need sorting now! >:-(

Thinking of having a couple of days away in it - probably away on Saturday and coming back on Monday - might got for a look at the seals at Donna Nook on Monday as it's something that we've been meaning to do for a few years and just never managed to get there. :->

Im glad your managing to get away for a couple of days Mel :-D I hope the weather stays fine for you. I think that graphics bod needs a kick up the pants!! sloppy or what!!

We had a ride out to-day to Carlton Minniot ?? near Thirsk to-day to get a LPG gas bottle and filler system fitted, he did a brilliant job he didnt cut the van bodywork he fitted the filler to a bracket beside the water emptying point, it looks very neat.

Guess who had a drive of the van?? :-D its a lovely smooth drive and very light to steer !! once Ive conquered the gears!!! but I was told I did well ;-) so that's encouraging Ive never driven a motorhome before 8-) , so that's the next thing you should do get behind that wheel if granny has done it (lol) you,ll have no probs;

Mel B - 2012-11-15 8:35 PM

........................Brian - I asked about a protective layer on the graphics not being removed being the initial problem but this isn't how their decals are made apparently but worth querying nonetheless. :-) ................

Ah well, 'twere just a thought. :-) Hope it's OK now.

Guest pelmetman

Thinking of having a couple of days away in it - probably away on Saturday and coming back on Monday - might got for a look at the seals at Donna Nook on Monday as it's something that we've been meaning to do for a few years and just never managed to get there. :->

Good time to go now Mel as those pup's are just the right size for the bbq ;-)..................just one tip don't use any oil as they have plenty of fat in them so need to be cooked on the highest level :D

In response to Brians 'clear coating layer'.....the vinyl for printed decals comes on a carrier sheet (on a roll for printing)  with no covering.  They are printed and then the printed surface is laminated with a clear vinyl for scratch, and a bit of UV, protection.

Mel it looks from the photos as if the laminate is peeling away from the printed base layer vinyl.  A possible reason for this is that the edges were not sealed (or the edges did not adhere to each other properly) hence water has got in there and caused the delamination.

Regarding the 'scalpel' cut marks....the chap who did the decals 'repair'? and caused the damage is a numpty (IMO).  Every company that applies vehicle decals....(especially wrapping)...use scalpels to trim the edges and around difficult lined but should be very aware of not letting the scalpel touch the paintwork.  Some very expensive motors get wrapped these days so with the potential for some very expensive paintwork repairs these guys are very careful.  It sounds like your decal chap was not paying due attention.......hence the damage should be rectified in a timely manner and to your satisfaction.

Good luck with your ongoing 'trial of patience'.

PS.  Brian....Avery is a vinyl products manufacturer.  All vinyl for printing is supplied on a roll with backing paper (carrier paper) with a release coating on it so the vinyl will peel off easily.  The top clear coat was almost definitely a clear coat laminate which should not be peeled off.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2012-11-10 12:18 AM

Mel, do you know if anyone has checked what your decals actually are?

I ask, because in your photos it looks as though a translucent layer is lifting off the printed layer beneath (the two layers you mentioned). Our van has two layer decals (product called Oracal) but the outer layer is supposed to be removed, as it is only there to protect the finish. So, in effect, three layers: the backing sheet, the decal proper, and the protective facing. If what is lifting on yours is a protective layer, it would not be surprising, as it is supposed to be removable without detaching the decal beneath.

When I had my rear end done....................on the works van ;-)................they put another clear layer over the top of the vinyl with the photographic artwork on.......apparently it protects the colour from fading :-S

Guest pelmetman
RogerC - 2012-11-16 7:01 PM Every company that applies vehicle decals....(especially wrapping)...use scalpels to trim the edges and around difficult lined but should be very aware of not letting the scalpel touch the paintwork.  Some very expensive motors get wrapped these days so with the potential for some very expensive paintwork repairs these guys are very careful.  It sounds like your decal chap was not paying due attention......

Or getting his own back for being dragged up from Bedfordshire again *-)

Hi Maggy

I'm pleased you have 'taken' to your new toy and enjoyed your drive - don't be too eager though otherwise you'll end up doing it all!!! *-)

I'm not worried about driving motorhomes as I used to drive our Rimor which was 7.14m long. :D

pelmetman - 2012-11-16 6:55 PM

Good time to go now Mel as those pup's are just the right size for the bbq ;-)..................just one tip don't use any oil as they have plenty of fat in them so need to be cooked on the highest level :D

..... just think of the juicy 'crackling' though!!! :-D

RogerC - 2012-11-16 7:01 PM

In response to Brians 'clear coating layer'.....the vinyl for printed decals comes on a carrier sheet (on a roll for printing)  with no covering.  They are printed and then the printed surface is laminated with a clear vinyl for scratch, and a bit of UV, protection.

.....I think it's actually quite common for vinyl decals to come on a carrier sheet, or backing paper on the "adhesive" side, and a pre-mask on the facing side, designed to protect against stretching and malformation during appplication.

This pre-mask is designed to be removed subsequent to successful application - much as Brian describes.

Robinhood - 2012-11-16 7:45 PM
RogerC - 2012-11-16 7:01 PMIn response to Brians 'clear coating layer'.....the vinyl for printed decals comes on a carrier sheet (on a roll for printing)  with no covering.  They are printed and then the printed surface is laminated with a clear vinyl for scratch, and a bit of UV, protection.
.....I think it's actually quite common for vinyl decals to come on a carrier sheet, or backing paper on the "adhesive" side, and a pre-mask on the facing side, designed to protect against stretching and malformation during appplication.This pre-mask is designed to be removed subsequent to successful application - much as Brian describes.

The 'pre mask' as you call it is 'application tape' and is rarely used for applying printed decals.  it's primary use is for applying plain self coloured vinyl and like you say is purely in use during application (hence the name) of the decal. 

pelmetman - 2012-11-16 7:08 PM
Brian Kirby - 2012-11-10 12:18 AMMel, do you know if anyone has checked what your decals actually are? I ask, because in your photos it looks as though a translucent layer is lifting off the printed layer beneath (the two layers you mentioned). Our van has two layer decals (product called Oracal) but the outer layer is supposed to be removed, as it is only there to protect the finish. So, in effect, three layers: the backing sheet, the decal proper, and the protective facing. If what is lifting on yours is a protective layer, it would not be surprising, as it is supposed to be removable without detaching the decal beneath.
When I had my rear end done....................on the works van ;-)................they put another clear layer over the top of the vinyl with the photographic artwork on.......apparently it protects the colour from fading :-S

That would be the 'laminate' and is usually applied during the manufacture and before applying the decal to the vehicle etc. 

Guest pelmetman
RogerC - 2012-11-16 8:36 PM

That would be the 'laminate' and is usually applied during the manufacture and before applying the decal to the vehicle etc. 

I thought they said they applied it afterwards :-S............ it extends beyond the vinyl by a few mm ;-)

• 8 months later...

Been doing a few jobs on the van, the 2 main ones being:

The washroom door is the 'roller' type and has been driving us nuts as it is wider than it needs to be so doesn't fully go out of the way when slid open which results in it restricting the washroom aperture by about 4 inches. It is because the sink/cupboard/splashback moulding which sits at the back of the washroom (on the outside wall) is angled at the very top by approx 45 degrees so leans inwards by about 4". The top track therefore stops where it meets this inwards leaning bit but the bottom track continues on by 4", but of course can't be made use of. My guess is that whoever designed it didn't take account of the restriction caused by the angled top piece when spec'ing the parts and orderer the wider door which was then installed 'as is'.

In order to sort this problem out I needed to reduce the door width. First I removed the door which was actually quite easy as it just meant I had to tack off the long acrylic strips (about 6' high) which the door butts up to when closed (one of them has the magnetic strip on to keep it in situ) that were just held on by 5 long screws; I also removed the towel ring, toilet roll holder and coat hook which I'd put up next to the strips. Then I carefully slid the door out of the tracking - it was a bit tricky as I had to make sure I didn’t catch it on the shower curtain rail running above it or damage anything, but it wasn't difficult. Once the door was off I took it outside and carefully slid off one of the vertical plastic sections which make up the door - they are in approx 4" wide pieces but are moulded to look like 2 separate 2" strips. I then fed the narrower door back onto the track and reattached the acrylic strips, putting the other bits and pieces back too. Voila! I now have a door that retracts properly out of the way and it is still wide enough to cover the opening when closed. Why this wasn't done originally I don't know as, quite apart from anything else, there is obviously a cost implication for buying a wider door! *-)

I've also done another mod to the 2 bike rack which we had fitted as part of our purchase 'deal' - unfortunately due to the 'standard' location of the outer bike rail it meant that the nearside rear window couldn't be fully opened (the offside one couldn't anyway due to the rack being fixed to that door). So I removed the outside rail and from the support bar and drilled 2 lots of new holes about 1" further in for the rail securing bolts to go through and refitted the rail - I can now fully open the window (obviously only when there aren't any bikes on!) which is better as I like to open it in a morning and let some fresh air in ... and my dogs love sticking their heads out! :-D

Archived