Oh heck ... 'Accent' on an expensive day ...

Mel B

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I've now been allowed 'in' to the Swift Talk site so have been putting some bits and pieces on there.

I've also been to the Lawns show today and saw the 2013 Autocruise Accent so had a really good shuftie, these are my comments:

Although it was the 2013 version of the Accent for some reason it had the 'old' 80L cheapo fridge in it rather than the Dometic 8-Series 96 litre fridge with removable freezer compartment which it was supposed to have.

The material for the seating is a material and mock suede effect mix which is very nice and better than the material and mock leather mix (PVC!) in our van (I'll be making covers for ours anyway so it doesn't make much difference to us!).

The cabinets/furniture is lighter and more bleached and the locker doors/drawer fronts are all now plain off-white - you'll either love it or hate it.

The lockers themselves haven't got angled doors anymore as the bottom 'shelf' of them has been extended so they are able to take a bit more kit in them although the ones in the lounge are not as wide as there's now a 'cubby hole' small shelf area instead (probably due to a TV bracket being located there now as you won't get the door open on one of them - see below).

There are now TV power /aerial/satellite socket points and TV bracket mounts in the rear lounge (side of washroom) and again in the front dining area above the dinette seat (side of washroom).

The original location for the TV in a cupboard over the hob has now been replaced with a larger cupboard which is where a microwave is installed if you go for the comfort pack (I assume a door is put on it if you don't upgrade to the comfort pack of if you don't actually want the microwave if you do upgrade?).

The location of the drawers and cupboard have been swapped so that the grill is now under the hob, but the grill no longer has a built in light so you might be able to smell your toast burning but you won't be able to see it! *-)

The downside of swapping things around is that the useful 'cubby holes' at the end of the unit behind the bin and worktop extention flap are no longer there.

There are more 'plastic' mouldings, rather than fabric trim, especially on the side door, rear above the doors, and in other areas too. There is a swing out section on the front table so that anyone in the swivelled front passenger seat can share the table too.

I couldn't check out the lighting as there was no power but there isn't a central light in either of the lounge areas now, just 'over cabinet' lighting I assume but I noticed that there is now a small 2 bulb LED above hob.

The vanity cupboard in the washroom now has better hinges which keep the door open (must change mine!) and the sink is more square (some minor cosmetic changes too). The light is now a single one rather than the 2 downlighters as in mine.

Externally there are different graphics and I noticed that the windows are different having a plastic 'cover' over them and gone are the 2 sliding windows - the one next to the rear passenger seats and one in the sliding door are now lift up ones.

Blinds are slightly different as you can now split the fly screen from the night blinds.

Other things I noticed: the dash now has a mix of silver/mock wood detailing; the boiler has been downgraded to a Truma 2 instead of the Truma 4 (probably not a problem as the Truma 4 in a PVC is a bit OTT in my view!); there's now a larger fresh water tank (100L instead of 66L).

Overall a very nice van but I'm not sure I'd buy it now if I hadn't got mine for the following reasons:

I didn't like the new windows (I can envisage bits of tree/bush getting caught up in them/getting more scratched as they are no longer flush), also with the sliding windows I can have the open slightly when on the move to let some air in and keep things cool in the back for my dogs - can't do this with the new ones which are the lift open type.

I prefer my two-tone locker doors and cabinet colour as I think it's more homely - the all white doors/drawers made it feel a little bit as if I was sitting in a kitchen.

As we don't normally go on sites and/or have electric hookup, we wouldn't want the microwave, however although this would instead leave a large cupboard space I wasn't overly keen on the way it is 'in your face' when using the hob ... I'm sure I'd end up head-butting it!!! :D

However, others may differ in their views so if you are thinking of getting a 2013 one you really need to have a good look to see if it meets your needs and whether you like the changes that have been made. Just make sure that the one you get definitely has all of the new kit for 2013 models - especially the better fridge!

Nearly forgot - price - the 2013 van is now just over £44,800 with the comfort pack (on the Peugoet - same for Fiat I assume?) - the price for the 2012 van is around £43,500, so an increase of £1,300 but with some bits downgraded and others upgraded.

Took some piccies of the new 2013 Accent so if anyone has a 2013 model on order or any of the other Autocruise 2013 van conversions, they can get an idea of what theirs will look like cosmetically (sorry only had my phone with me to take piccies!).

IMG039.jpg.7263b3fa8e5537dd99da4540c6816f08.jpg

IMG040.jpg.fd9808c69105e3a75a6bd717aca909b1.jpg

IMG041.jpg.3cc4c3ebfc3f327bf84417a06365d5ff.jpg

IMG042.jpg.1ae42fd2f80a4ad2bf66d453e7ce94ca.jpg

IMG044.jpg.7c5ac93bb87ecc5df7b5adf6fd477320.jpg

MMMmm Im not sure what I think !! I liked the cupboards with the darker stain as well!!, good about the microwave I wont have any problems with that being 5'2" :-D the front bench seats look very different with the much higher head rest area, or is it just an optical illusion because of the different fabrics they have used !

Ill reserve judgement until I see ours in the flesh, it might just come as 2012 model on 2013 plates !! but I dont think so as the price did jump up another £1.000 or so on the 2012 one that we had original been quoted for :-S we will just have to wait and we did pay for the comfort pack +awning, the bigger water volume is good news.

And I bet you feel happier knowing that you have at least got the Van you like better. :-)

You're right Maggy, the headrests are a bit higher on the dinette seat but you may be able to remove the top section (we could on our Flash) if you want if you find them too much! :-)

I'm hope I'm not gonna upset you now :$ ... today I've been doing more in the van - putting shelves in some of the lockers, lining them, putting up hooks etc and packing etc and have been listening to my portable radio which I put on the window sill next to the dinette table (still gotta sort out the 20 min cut-out on the van's radio) and I've just realised that I didn't recall seeing any window sills in the 2013 version! We have them on all our windows, even those in the rear doors, and they are very useful IMV. I assume they haven't been included on the 2013 models due to the change in the window blind design - ours are the same concertina type but are pulled down from the top: first the night blind part decends, then the flyscreen part which is attached to it. However, on the 2013 models the blinds are in 2 sections - one part pulls up from the bottom, the other from the top (can't remember which was which), so there's no space for the window sills anymore.

Still got quite a bit to do before we leave for the Shepton Mallet show on Thursday morning - I haven't started on the seat covers yet! *-)

As Ive never had windowsills in a van Im not bothered about that Mel :-D dogs would only sit on them anyway!!

Ive looked at all the websites and cant find any mention of an Alto in the 2013 new vans!! as it was the Alto we specifically asked for and they said yes they were still making them and they could get one for us end Sept and it would have the 13 reg !! they didnt say anything about 2013 model (or did they)?? I remember him saying the price was £1000+ more :-S so until we see it I dont know if it is going to be the new design or not !! I wasnt bothered as I didnt think anything would be Less I only thought Better and as long as it had the fixed bed as that is our main reason for changing :-) your guess is probably better than mine.

Fancy having to take your trani into the van though when you have an ALL frills one in situe !!! (lol) isnt it supposed to have the 3hr turnoff ?? never knew what people meant about that either as ours never turned off unless I switched it off.

maggyd - 2012-09-03 9:28 PM

Fancy having to take your trani into the van though when you have an ALL frills one in situe !!! (lol) isnt it supposed to have the 3hr turnoff ?? never knew what people meant about that either as ours never turned off unless I switched it off.

I managed to find a fix for the radio on the Swift Forum - you ought to join as it's very interesting:

http://www.swift-talk.co.uk

Hubby has just been out and sorted it so we now have a 3 hour limit on our radio - whey-hey!!! :->

Still trying to work out how I can get the fridge to grow .... :D

maggyd - 2012-09-03 9:44 PM

Ive been reading on the Swift talk Mel :-D apparently John has been on for months, but he is the quiet man! he just reads for info same as on here. ;-)

I've just read Mel's contributions on Swift Talk. She's like a whirlwind.....Only been on there a few days and provided a lot of useful information. And she's even had the offer of a date. Can you believe it?

Mike88 - 2012-09-03 10:24 PM

maggyd - 2012-09-03 9:44 PM

Ive been reading on the Swift talk Mel :-D apparently John has been on for months, but he is the quiet man! he just reads for info same as on here. ;-)

I've just read Mel's contributions on Swift Talk. She's like a whirlwind.....Only been on there a few days and provided a lot of useful information. And she's even had the offer of a date. Can you believe it?

Ah yes, but unfortunately our ships passed in the day ... :D

We had a look in a Autocruise Tempo at Catterick to-day :-D I noticed the posh windowsills you were talking about Mel, I was in there with another couple and the lady who was also looking said she had never seen that before :-D they are a nice touch though very highly polished !! as long as you dont get condensation lying on them !! you will have to watch for that when the weather gets cold! she was fancying the Accent too but she did say she liked the full cooker :-S it wasnt until we were driving home that I though Woops I dont think so!!

It is a bit silly though when you cant have options isnt it? its a take it or leave it option.

That's it, I've had enough!!! My fingers are very sore and I've got loads of bruises so no more 'work' on the camper now until after our holiday which starts tomorrow! The majority of our food/supplies is in, just some of the fresh stuff to put in tomorrow, still gotta sort out some clothes/shoes, camera and other bits and bobs but we're just about there. Had it not been for a problem I had to sort out, I would have got it fully ready for the off!

Unfortunately I had to spend quite a bit of time toda ysorting out a problem I found - the rear of the cab floor between the seats had been cracked - I assume by being kneeled on when disconnecting / reconnecting the battery, or something like that - not very happy as I'm sure it wasn't like that when we originally saw and bought it. >:-( Whilst examining the area I noticed how 'spongy' the floor seemed and proceeded to remove the 2 plastic covers, one about 8 inches square between the seats and a much larger one that runs from the centre along in front of the passenger seat under which the cab battery is located. I managed to look/poke around underneath and was amazed to find that there was no support at all under a lot of the floor area ... not even 'foam'! 8-)

As I wasnt happy to just leave it like that, out came the 1 inch x 2 inch (or thereabouts) timber and I cut it down into various lengths and slotted it under the plastic flooring, taking care not to disturb the wiring running underneath part of it. I used some thinner pieces to pack out where the underfloor area was deeper and once I was happy it was supported I noticed that there were some bolts and nuts loose around the battery - I had to put on 3 bolts which had not been re-fitted and gathered up the 3 bolts which appeared not to have anywhere to go! I then replaced the covers and glued the cracked part back together having supported it with timber underneath - the crack itself is about 5 inches long and a bit jagged but hopefully should stick okay (I've secured it with gaffer tape to keep it together). As we have a thick dog oblong dog cushion between the seats normally, this should be sufficient to prevent the area being damaged further and when we get back off holiday I'll see about making a proper cover for it if needs be. All in all it probably took a good hour to sort out, time I would have prefered to spend on finishing packing the van. 8o|

If anyone has an X250 Fiat, or the Peugeot or Citroen derivatives, I'd suggest checking the area on your own van to see how well it is supported and if not, pack it out before it cracks - just be cafeful of the wiring.

There is some good news though! :-D I noticed on Ebay on Friday that someone was selling a Movelite Midi awning as a 'Buy it now' for £100 plus £8.10 postage - this is the one that is purpose made for van conversions as it allows the sliding door to be fully open as it's 3.0m long (the side that runs next to the van) x 2.4m deep. Although we already have a good Movelite awning it is the Square model (2.4m x 2.4m) and although we could have managed with it, it would have restricted the opening of the side door a bit - it fitted our Flash 04 perfectly and we'd only used it for the first time for the few days we were at Malvern! *-) Oh well, another one to sell I suppose! :-S

:-D Smart isnt it?? well that is good news Mel seeing as I have stacks in the spare bedroom the shed and the conservatory (lol)

Ive made up my mind though that I will be asking myself "do you really need this" ;-)

There must be something wrong with my eyes as I can see your number plate no bother!!

gdf - 2012-09-06 1:14 PM

Looking at the photo of the rear of the Accent I assume you have a lighting board as it looks as if the cycle rack is going to obscure the number plate and lights.

How easy was the electrics?

Dave

Nope, don't need a 'trailer' board as the bikes themselves don't overlap the lights - we're currently trying out our folding ones on there which have a shorter length so no problem, we haven't tried our full-sized ones on yet but if there's a problem we can just remove the front wheels and store them inside, thus reducing the length.

There's a coincidence our plate starts FX.

gdf, We have samerack as mel, bikes sit above numberplate, the wheels parcialy obstruct rear lights

the arms that hold top of bike frame are a pia, I'm not sure they could be a worse lenght or shape.

The reason I asked about the light board was that we have the same van and bike rack but the grooves the bikes sit in are in a higher set of fixings than Mel's are. Lifting the bikes on and off and then managing to fasten the 'top' clamps is not easy and putting the cover on impossible. I did move the grooves down but the wheels obstructed the lights etc.

Dave

colin - 2012-09-06 10:09 PM

There's a coincidence our plate starts FX.

gdf, We have samerack as mel, bikes sit above numberplate, the wheels parcialy obstruct rear lights

the arms that hold top of bike frame are a pia, I'm not sure they could be a worse lenght or shape.

Totally agree about the stupidly short length of the arms to secure the bikes - we had to use the short arm to secure the inner bike to the rack then use the second arm actually fastened to the centre frame of the inner bike and then onto the outer bike! There was no way it would reach the outer bike otherwise, however, we've now bought a longer arm at the Shepton Mallet show for £9 (from O'Leary's ... yes they're here!!! :-> ) so will use that instead.

• 3 weeks later...

I fitted out the camper the other week with our 'dirt grabber' carpet material - it was a very large mat originally - I've cut it to size (not easy due to the curves etc) but now have a nice 'green' grass type floor!!! :D

Finally got round to making the seat covers for the half-dinette - nice purple mock suede material (curtains from a car boot sale). It took a while especially since I also made 'linings' to cover them too to give the original cushions more protection and ensure the new covers don't rub on the mock leather (vinyl) parts. I haven't done the ones for the rear lounge yet though as at present it's in 'bed' mode and if we don't use it as a lounge much I won't need to bother. Now that I've done one set though, it won't be as difficult to do the others as I've already worked out the best way to make them. :-D

Also put some PTFE tape on the drawer button 'surrounds' and pushed them back in - they kept coming out when we 'unlocked' the buttons to open the drawers - another niggle sorted. Also moved the towel ring and toilet roll holder to more suitable positions (why do they think that you want to twist right round behind your back to reach for the toilet roll in the first place? Must've been a man who decided on that! (lol) ).

Also fixed the fitted concertina windscreen blind which wouldn't meet in the centre due to it not going round the internal mirror as the 2 cut-outs for it didn't match up with the mirror. I moved the bottom central support down about half an inch so the position of the cut-out was then in the correct place (and now they work perfectly (why it wasn't installed properly in the first place I don't know *-) ). Just need to fill the original holes (haven't got any black silicone at the moment).

Also moved the kitchen worktop flap inwards about an inch so that I have space to fit a gate to stop the dogs getting out when the side door is opened ... still working on what to us as a gate - trellis, a baby gate, mesh ... not sure at the mo, will have a look if it ever STOPS raining. :-S

We needed to alter the rear view mirror position when we fitted the rimis to our kontiki Mel . You have done well to get your seat covers done so quickly, they are a awkward shape arent they ? I thought if I do mine Illl just use a thickish cotton something easy taken off and put in the wash :-S Ill decide when I see them properly I will use a throw until I can get something sorted.

We have the button closers/openers on our Swift at the moment only needed to replace a plastic catch on the island draw bit with a metal one ! we had to do that in France as the darned thing flew out when travelling on a bad road, I had too many heavy tins in the cupboard bit, it was able to shake itself out!!! something else to look out for then, on a test in one of the mags; it was the upper cupboard magnetic catches that were found to be at fault, coming open in transit, 'Im hoping that has been rectified.

Noticed last night that Brownhills Newark have the Alto now in stock, so I'm waiting patiently for a phone call from Marquis to say they have ours in.

Archived