Maybe its not a myth?...............

Guest pelmetman

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
chas - 2014-08-10 9:59 AM

I am leaving the forum, if this subject reaches page 100. ! :D

I suspect I'll be evicted before then :D....................

pelmetman - 2014-08-09 10:52 PM

Well there's your answer Frank *-)..................1900 quid plus jewelry etc for a couple of hours work

£1900 insurance valuation

£1000 actual value

£100 given to thieves by fence

2 blokes, 2 hours = £25 an hour - less the costs involved probably still beats the minimum wage?

But at £50 a day hardly a full time career with prospects?

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2014-08-10 10:04 AM

pelmetman - 2014-08-09 10:52 PM

Well there's your answer Frank *-)..................1900 quid plus jewelry etc for a couple of hours work

£1900 insurance valuation

£1000 actual value

£100 given to thieves by fence

2 blokes, 2 hours = £25 an hour - less the costs involved probably still beats the minimum wage?

But at £50 a day hardly a full time career with prospects?

£1900 in cash = £950 each so £475 an hour + the other stuff to sell on ;-)............

Unless of course the victims are lying which appears to be the default position of the skeptics *-)..........

pelmetman - 2014-08-10 10:59 AM

Unless of course the victims are lying which appears to be the default position of the skeptics *-)..........

I never said that?

Confused maybe but fully believing their plight - possibly?

Having worked for an insurance company I am fully aware that 97% of people are honest and truthful - which just leaves the 1% who are mistaken, the 1% a bit optimistic and the other 1% who are downright crooked!

Where money is concerned some people - a vary small minority I hasten to add - and I point no fingers at anyone who has been robbed as it is an exceptionally traumatic experience - will spin the most convoluted of tales to get a payout..

I am a sceptic, but without being septic towards non sceptics!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2014-08-10 11:06 AM

I am a sceptic, but without being septic towards non sceptics!

So do prescribe to Brian's dodgy gas appliance theory as well Rich?..................If so, why did they not get gassed again the next night? ;-).....................unless these French Aires are becoming like the Bermuda Triangle :D.........

Having suffered very mild CO poisoning myself many years ago from the fridge which was the only gas appliance on all night in a borrowed tourer when we were kids, and having a very close friend who has recently suffered catastrophic brain injuries by CO poisoning in a rented home in spite of sleeping some 30' away from the faulty boiler which was only being used to heat water not the home, yes Dave as things stand that does have to be one possible and reasonable explanation as far as I am concerned.

I'm not saying it applied in any specific cases as I don't know - and neither I suspect does anyone else for sure?

One thing does still astound me though - how careless people can be about their own security sometimes?

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2014-08-10 11:18 AM

, yes Dave as things stand that does have to be one possible and reasonable explanation as far as I am concerned.

So back to my awkward question why were they not gassed the next night? :-S..............and as you worked in insurance which is based on the laws of probabilities ;-)....................what would you say the odds are of a fridge going on the blink just before they were robbed? :D................

pelmetman - 2014-08-10 11:27 AM

, yes Dave as things stand that does have to be one possible and reasonable explanation as far as I am concerned.

So back to my awkward question why were they not gassed the next night? :-S..............and as you worked in insurance which is based on the laws of probabilities ;-)....................what would you say the odds are of a fridge going on the blink just before they were robbed? :D................

Fair comment Dave and I really don't know, just as I don't know the veracity of the reporting of the event, especially given the language differences and the love of journalistic license by reporters together with the need of the victims to find a reason for their misfortune and justification for their own actions.

I'm not saying it did not happen Dave, just that I am not convinced that it did.

It's called an open mind and comes allied to a healthy dose of realism, scepticism and cynicism all gleaned from a lifetime's experience of people and the things that they do when needs be as they see it at the time!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2014-08-10 11:42 AM

pelmetman - 2014-08-10 11:27 AM

Fair comment Dave and I really don't know, just as I don't know the veracity of the reporting of the event, especially given the language differences and the love of journalistic license by reporters together with the need of the victims to find a reason for their misfortune and justification for their own actions.

I'm not saying it did not happen Dave, just that I am not convinced that it did.

It's called an open mind and comes allied to a healthy dose of realism, scepticism and cynicism all gleaned from a lifetime's experience of people and the things that they do when needs be as they see it at the time!

I thought the skeptics had already decided that its a myth? :D................

I deserted this forum ages ago and vowed to myself never to return I have now reluctantly come back.

Due to the extreme danger to my fellow motorhomers I feel I must recount my own experiences.

After all the posts I came to the conclusion that there must be some truth in it.

After much thought I devised what I think is the best solution.

I installed a caged canary in the cab.

One night I was awakened by frantic chirping from Bertie the canary who was obviously distressed and under the effects of some kind of narcotic substance, fortunately I immediately gave mouth to beak resuscitation which resulted in him making a rapid recovery, indeed he immediately began to bounce up and down on his perch whistling garage? music.

This lead me believe that the gas was possibly nitrous oxide.

No animals were hurt in the writing of this post.

pelmetman - 2014-08-10 11:54 AM

I thought the skeptics had already decided that its a myth? :D................

I can't speak for other sceptics Dave, but to me being sceptical means being unconvinced either way by the evidence being offered by either side?

So I remain an open minded sceptic who will continue to take as many sensible precautions over my own personal security as I see fit without becoming paranoid!

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2014-08-10 12:59 PM

pkc - 2014-08-10 12:30 PM

But what happened to the bird ?

:-|

It's doing bird..............for being involved in an insurance scam ;-)...............

Robinhood - 2014-08-10 1:01 PM

....it croaked!

Maybe it was the Frog that croaked seeing as how it happened in France?

....it croaked!

....sore throat after gassing ;-)

Really Malc and Robin, I am saddened that you take my post so frivolously.

It was only my prompt action and medical expertise that I managed to suck seed.

pelmetman - 2014-08-10 1:04 PM

It's doing bird..............for being involved in an insurance scam ;-)...............

...the police arrested it, and it sang like a canary!

;-)

pkc - 2014-08-10 1:43 PM

Well I suppose that if you give a bird mouth to beak resuscitation you are bound to suck seed eventually.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
pkc - 2014-08-10 1:43 PM

....it croaked!

....sore throat after gassing ;-)

Some folk will make a cheep joke out of anything 8-)............

pelmetman - 2014-08-09 5:45 PM

maggyd - 2014-08-09 4:12 PM

Well I believe this story that has appeared to-day, the people were hospitalized tested and it was proved they were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning !! if it had been any equipment failing yes they would have woken with headaches and sickness BUT where had all their belongings gone? this is happening too much to be ignored and scoffed at.

Careful Maggy...........You'll become another blasphemer :D......................

BTW to which story do you refer?.....the DM or the one that Antony mentioned in the Sun, as I've not read the Sun article............. I'd have to pay to read it 8-)............

Its in SAturdays Daily Mirror page 15

HOLS BRITS GASSED IN CAMPER AND ROBBED

The Family had valuables swiped from their camper van in France after they were gassed with engine fumes as they slept. It was near Bourges. Tests carried out on the family at a nearby hospital revealed they had all suffered carbon monoxide poisoning and could have died. The family were parked up for the night at a service station on the A71 autoroute in central France.

The police said they wait for you to get into the camper van at night. They then rune a tube from their exhaust underneath the van where there are vents. The fumes get through there .

Guest pelmetman
maggyd - 2014-08-10 4:35 PM

pelmetman - 2014-08-09 5:45 PM

maggyd - 2014-08-09 4:12 PM

Well I believe this story that has appeared to-day, the people were hospitalized tested and it was proved they were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning !! if it had been any equipment failing yes they would have woken with headaches and sickness BUT where had all their belongings gone? this is happening too much to be ignored and scoffed at.

Careful Maggy...........You'll become another blasphemer :D......................

BTW to which story do you refer?.....the DM or the one that Antony mentioned in the Sun, as I've not read the Sun article............. I'd have to pay to read it 8-)............

The Family had valuables swiped from their camper van in France after they were gassed with engine fumes as they slept. It was near Bourges. Tests carried out on the family at a nearby hospital revealed they had all suffered carbon monoxide poisoning and could have died. The family were parked up for the night at a service station on the A71 autoroute in central France.

The police said they wait for you to get into the camper van at night. They then rune a tube from their exhaust underneath the van where there are vents. The fumes get through there .

Were there 6 people on board?...............If so its the same story that was in the DM Maggy ;-)............

maggyd - 2014-08-10 4:35 PM

Were there 6 people on board?...............If so its the same story that was in the DM Maggy ;-)............

It IS the same story ................. the same dumbass 'sad' pictures of the same six people...............

I wouldn't have believed that another newspaper would be as gullible as the Daily Wail! ( or pelmetman!)

Conspiracy theories like these -- as with the likes of David Icke -- are dangerous -- because people are led to believe that it is true -- which it quite patently isn't!

(it even drags in (usually fairly sensible) posters on here -- as well as septic Pemetman! )

At least the Mirror quoted the Royal College of anaethetists' advice!

How misleading this all is.

:-(

Colin.

Guest pelmetman
Symbol Owner - 2014-08-10 6:16 PM

It IS the same story ................. the same dumbass 'sad' pictures of the same six people...............

I wouldn't have believed that another newspaper would be as gullible as the Daily Wail! ( or pelmetman!)

Conspiracy theories like these -- as with the likes of David Icke -- are dangerous -- because people are led to believe that it is true -- which it quite patently isn't!

(it even drags in (usually fairly sensible) posters on here -- as well as septic Pemetman! )

At least the Mirror quoted the Royal College of anaethetists' advice!

How misleading this all is.

:-(

Colin.

I dare say the French hospital staff are all in on it as well eh Colin?..............

Perhaps you can explain why their gas appliance malfunctioned just before they were robbed?............seeing as you don't subscribe to the exhaust fume theory :D.............

Well that is your skeptic in chiefs view ;-)............

Archived