Maybe its not a myth?...............

Guest pelmetman

capcloser - 2014-08-07 11:45 AM

.. He then had the cheek to have a go at me claiming he got the wrong van! said i had assaulted him so i said eff off and he got up and ran away. We had a good laugh about it the next day lol

Ah!..so an adaptation of the robbing scumbags', tried and trusted , "..sorry mate, I got the wrong tent.." ploy... 8o|

Well done you! (lol)

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
maggyd - 2014-08-07 12:15 PM

I don't think it had entered their heads about gas!! but how they managed to sleep so soundly in a Lorrie park is beyond me.

According to some on here its because they both had too much vino :-|.................

...when I said its well known you don't stop on the motorway aires my S.I.L just said he was so tired they needed to stop and sleep.

I don't think it had entered their heads about gas!! but how they managed to sleep so soundly in a Lorrie park is beyond me.

Maggs.. You've answered you own question..they were tired. ;-)

(although "Flat Earth Dave", will be telling you that they were abducted by aliens if you're not careful... (lol) ).

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2014-08-07 2:40 PM

...when I said its well known you don't stop on the motorway aires my S.I.L just said he was so tired they needed to stop and sleep.

(although "Flat Earth Dave", will be telling you that they were abducted by aliens if you're not careful... (lol) ).

Exactly my point Pepe ;-).................Maggy said **he**was tired........In all these incidents """ALL""" the occupants manage to sleep through the incident :-S..........................When I got to Gretna Green services last month on the way to Scotland, I was knackered...................Still didn't get much sleep though *-)......................Maybe it was forking out the 17 quid for a car park that kept me awake 8-)....................curiously when I've had a skin full I also don't sleep well either ;-)...............Maybe I have been abducted by aliens.............as I certainly don't have the closed mind of some on here :D...........

I take it when you got done over Pepe your Mrs had imbibed 8 cans of Speckled Hen too? ;-)........

..No Dave, Brothers Cider...

But I now have it on good authority from some bloke on the internet that, unbeknown to us,she was also a victim of this, now infamous "gassing!...!.. 8-)

I know!..who would've thought it?! ....and this bloke isn't alone either, on no, there's Fatbob/Bigbert or some such, from some TruckersRus forum who also thinks the same...So it seems that it's a dead cert' then...

We are forever indebted to them both...

(..a bit strange that neither of us had any of these alleged "symptoms" that you keep Googling and banging on about though- the nausea, bad head etc..Hmmm?..Odd that!..but I expect they'll just gloss over that bit..)..

Maybe people in your neck of the woods just can't sleep through the night, unless they've been "gassed"...?

Sue: "What's that noise....!?..."

.....slither......splat!

Dave: "Don't fret luv..it's only my ever so open mind, letting my brain fall out......again!..." (lol)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2014-08-07 4:11 PM

(..a bit strange that neither of us had any of these alleged "symptoms" that you keep Googling and banging on about though- the nausea, bad head etc..Hmmm?..Odd that!..but I expect they'll just gloss over that bit..)..

I think you'll find the ones who suffer those symptoms are the ones that have been overdosed ;-)...............that's the trouble with tea leafs nowdays they won't spend 7 years at college to learn how to gas people properly *-).................

For info ;-)...............

Because nitrous oxide and oxygen sedation has become a mainstay of medical and dental practice, researchers have been able to study it across many decades. They know how nitrous oxide and oxygen sedation affects very young patients, pregnant women and the elderly. They have documented reactions that occur between nitrous and the medications millions of people take every day. This careful research has revealed that nitrous oxide and oxygen sedation is extremely safe for the vast majority of people.

Among the most famous studies is that conducted by Dr. Gardner Colton of New York's Columbia University. Colton documented more than 193,000 cases without a fatality. The work of Dr. Niels Bjorn was even more striking. He followed over 4 million cases, again without finding a single death.

Nitrous oxide and oxygen sedation carries few if any side effects and produces no known allergic response. For these reasons it makes a nearly ideal form of anxiety relief in the contemporary dental office.

A bit more info.....

While rare, side effects have been linked to the use of nitrous oxide and oxygen sedation. These most often include nausea and vomiting, and result because**** too much nitrous oxide has been used****. Several studies confirm the lack of side effects for children-- fewer than 1 percent were reported, and most were symptoms of nausea and vomiting. Side effects are quickly reversed with the elimination of nitrous and the addition of pure oxygen gas.

:D :D.......

pelmetman - 2014-08-07 3:10 PM

pepe63 - 2014-08-07 2:40 PM

Exactly my point Pepe ;-).................Maggy said **he**was tired........In all these incidents """ALL""" the occupants manage to sleep through the incident :-S..........................When I got to Gretna Green services last month on the way to Scotland, I was knackered...................Still didn't get much sleep though *-)......................Maybe it was forking out the 17 quid for a car park that kept me awake 8-)....................curiously when I've had a skin full I also don't sleep well either ;-)...............Maybe I have been abducted by aliens.............as I certainly don't have the closed mind of some on here :D...........

I take it when you got done over Pepe your Mrs had imbibed 8 cans of Speckled Hen too? ;-)........

Like you Dave he was probably knackered and as most men sleep like the dead :-D I would still of expected my S.I.L to wake HE does like his glass of vino but I dont think she does :-S and myself I wake up the least little thing O.H says its because 'Im nosy !!!! as if ??? (lol)

Guest Had Enough

God, it's incredible what people with tiny closed minds will believe. Nitrous oxide when used medically is given via a mask and monitored exactly. You breathe it straight into your lungs so need a relatively small amount.

To flood a motorhome you'd need huge cylinders costing a fortune and than, as we've said over and over again thieves couldn't administer just enough to make people unconscious without the risk of killing them.

Odd that no one has ever witnessed this happening! Odd that thieves so sophisticated are targeting caravans. Closed minds, a total lack of common sense, and the inability to understand the evidence makes for a boring, boring person and the most boring and stupid thread this forum has ever known.

Latest story from Daily Mail Oneline ( Oh no, not that paper again) british family gassed in motorhome and robbed ! This one is suggesting the thieves used the exhust gas from their car to knock out the family, if true we are talking attempted murder ! 8-)

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-08 3:12 PM

To flood a motorhome you'd need huge cylinders costing a fortune and than, as we've said over and over again thieves couldn't administer just enough to make people unconscious without the risk of killing them.

Why have I got a CO alarm?..............because my gas appliance can produce enough carbon monoxide to kill me............and I don't have huge cylinders *-)....................furthermore brain of Britain even a small throwaway bbq can generate enough fumes to kill people.............of which there is documented evidence ;-)..............

So if my gas fire can generate enough fumes in a few hours using which I'm guessing ;-)............is likely to be less than a litre of gas................ not exactly huge *-)............

If you care to reread my previous post carefully Frank you'll notice deaths from NO are almost unheard of, which would explain the lack of dead bodies everywhere..................and nausea is the most common symptom of a NO overdose..............otherwise the victim feels no ill effects apart from an empty wallet...........and possibly confusion as to how they managed to sleep through someone rummaging around in their van :-|...........

Ooooh Er Frank 8-)...........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2719857/British-family-robbed-thieves-pumped-camper-van-fumes-car-exhaust-knock-travelled-France.html

6 people managed to sleep through being robbed....................No doubt they were all p*ssed *-)..........

Come on Frank give us the benefit of your gargantuan brain..............and explain how it really happened >:-).........

Or any of you other gas attack skeptics wish to add your opinion.................Brian? :D..............

Guest Had Enough

I've had a rethink on this and not having a closed mind am prepared to accept that there may be another explanation.

The most obvious reason for believing that this is all a myth is that anyone with half a brain should be able to understand that no evidence is actually the best evidence.

During the thirty odd years that people think they've been gassed, and we're led to believe that there must be a vast number of cases, not one incident has been witnessed as it happens.

Thieves are drawing up in cars to camp sites, aires and motorway service stations and , depending on which desperate theory you choose, are running their engines for ages whilst they attach a hose to their exhaust and then they're managing to feed the hose into a motorhome and pump in just the right amount of carbon monoxide.

They must have of course a system for working out the cubic capacity of the 'van, the number of inhabitants and the size of the ventilation holes from which their gas can escape.

Or, they're rolling up to the same places, wheeling out canisters of nitrous oxide and somehow doing the same exercise with this gas, which would probably cost more than they could ever hope to steal.

Now, during all these gassing/robberies in busy public places, not one of them has been disturbed in the act, not one of them has had to flee quickly leaving behind their hose pipes or gas cylinders, not one person has ever woken up before the gas has had the chance to take effect and notice the commotion outside as the thieves go about their business.

Now anyone with an IQ of ninety or more should be able to deduce from this that it's all too convenient. Many people in adjoining 'vans or lorries must be light sleepers and would hear what's going on next door. Surely lorries and other vehicles must occasionally roll up in the night and see what's happening?

But there isn't one recorded incident that has been witnessed by anyone during the act. Very odd for so many over so long!

But, as I said, not having a closed mind, I'm trying to think out of the box. Someone mentioned aliens. What if whoever is responsible for all these gassing incidents has developed an invisibility cloak?

We've seen it on Star Trek and you may laugh, but we all know that what's science fiction today is science fact tomorrow.

And how scary is this? Knowing that thieves can take all the time they need to get the right amount of gas in our 'vans to put us asleep without killing us, because we can't see them! They could be at it for hours!

The question of course is, are they aliens examining our culture under the guise of petty theft, or do we have sophisticated robbers with technology that only secret government departments know about?

Having given this some thought I for one am now very worried about being gassed. I and my wife have decided that we're going to sleep all day and do our sight-seeing overnight, so as to eliminate the chance of being gassed whilst we sleep.

And of course the places that we visit will be much quieter. You know it makes sense!

Guest pelmetman

That's a lot of hot air to me Frank.................or is it a gas attack skeptic resorting to bluster............BTW who suggested carbon monoxide via another vehicle as a possible method?............ >:-)..........

Looks like

Village idiot............................1

Gas skeptics.........................0

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Guest Had Enough

Yep, must be true! A motorway services just after midnight and no one noticed a car draw up, park alongside a motorhome, attach a hose to its exhaust and somehow pump in just the right amount of deadly gas.

And the people in the 'van admitted to being unable to get to sleep but they didn't notice anything either. Not one of them wondered what was going on as all this happened!

And they lost: Mobile phones, jewellery and £1900 of cash. Two thousand might have looked a bit suspicious! (lol)

Yep, another big insurance claim!

What is laughable is that they pump the gas underneath the 'van in the hope that enough (but not too much of course) will rise up and fill the motorhome. Yea, dead easy that would be! And how long would it take? And no one noticed!

Of course these half-wits wouldn't be making up most of this crap in advance of a huge insurance claim and to excuse their stupidity at leaving a window open? It was very hot and there were six of them in a motorhome. No wonder they woke up with sore throats!

Village Idiot - falls for it again!

Of course it could have been nitrous oxide! (lol) (lol) (lol)

I don't think anyone no here is at risk of gas attack - just loads of hot air with the distinct aroma of bovine excrement.

The humour and irony would go down better and be much more readable if only the perpetrators could do so without the insults every time.

Try it - you might find that you too enjoy it more?

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-08 5:53 PM

Yep, must be true! A motorway services just after midnight and no one noticed a car draw up, park alongside a motorhome, attach a hose to its exhaust and somehow pump in just the right amount of deadly gas.

And the people in the 'van admitted to being unable to get to sleep but they didn't notice anything either. Not one of them wondered what was going on as all this happened!

And they lost: Mobile phones, jewellery and £1900 of cash. Two thousand might have looked a bit suspicious! (lol)

Yep, another big insurance claim!

What is laughable is that they pump the gas underneath the 'van in the hope that enough (but not too much of course) will rise up and fill the motorhome. Yea, dead easy that would be! And how long would it take? And no one noticed!

Of course these half-wits wouldn't be making up most of this crap in advance of a huge insurance claim and to excuse their stupidity at leaving a window open? It was very hot and there were six of them in a motorhome. No wonder they woke up with sore throats!

Village Idiot - falls for it again!

Of course it could have been nitrous oxide! (lol) (lol) (lol)

Yes Frank they're all lying b*rstards *-)...................I dare say they all took turns to suck on the exhaust pipe so they could fool the hospital too 8-)..............

" They went to a nearby petrol station where the attendant called the police, and they were taken to a police station and on to the Centre Hospitalier De Saint Amand Montrond.

Linda said: ‘We were all seen individually by doctors and nurses and put into rooms where we were given oxygen and our blood samples were taken. We were in there nearly all of the day.

‘The person taking the blood said it could have killed us. It was horrendous. They said it could also lead to memory loss, flashbacks.’

Linda said the family had been given a report from the hospital saying that they had been affected by carbon monoxide."

What's that saying Frank?...........when in a hole stop digging >:-)...............

I'm enjoying this................can you tell? B-)...........

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2014-08-08 5:56 PM

.....Frank, haven't you learnt yet that you can't teach an old dogma new tricks?

:-(

So you think they're lying to Robin ;-)................You being in the trade as it were.............shouldn't you be tipping of the insurance company that its a scam?...............well its people like them who are pushing up our insurance premiums 8-) .............

Guest Had Enough
pelmetman - 2014-08-08 6:00 PM

Yes Frank they're all lying b*rstards *-)...................I dare say they all took turns to suck on the exhaust pipe so they could fool the hospital too 8-)..............

" They went to a nearby petrol station where the attendant called the police, and they were taken to a police station and on to the Centre Hospitalier De Saint Amand Montrond.

Linda said: ‘We were all seen individually by doctors and nurses and put into rooms where we were given oxygen and our blood samples were taken. We were in there nearly all of the day.

‘The person taking the blood said it could have killed us. It was horrendous. They said it could also lead to memory loss, flashbacks.’

Linda said the family had been given a report from the hospital saying that they had been affected by carbon monoxide."

What's that saying Frank?...........when in a hole stop digging >:-)...............

I'm enjoying this................can you tell? B-)...........

Yep, that's what I'm saying!

If they did actually go to hospital in order to bolster their huge insurance claim the doctor probably said that 'if' it was CO then it could have killed and 'if' it was CO it could have etc. etc.

But come on, answer the question. How long would all this have taken and how come no one noticed?It was just after midnight, not four a.m. And how come no one has noticed any of the others that have happened over thirty years?

The crap you'll believe to avoid the truth! And all of a sudden the experts are right! (lol)

I've met some gullible people in my time! If ever you get an email from a Nigerian Oil Minister, have a word with me before you do anything! ;-)

And you're so deep that you're beyond a normal digging instrument! You could do some fracking whilst you're down there!

It's time to try to really open your mind! ;-)

pelmetman - 2014-08-08 6:00 PM

Carbon Monoxide poisoning is no joke and can have a very serious effect on memory and cognitive abilities. We know this because we have a dear friend who has suffered this poisoning due to a faulty gas boiler in the home she was renting.

I don't know the whole story above as it seems to have been edited, but it begs the question of what gas appliances were on when the 'gassing' took place as even a non vented fridge, or a single gas burner used as a space heater can be very dangerous.

Guest Had Enough
Robinhood - 2014-08-08 5:56 PM

.....Frank, haven't you learnt yet that you can't teach an old dogma new tricks?

:-(

I know, but it's amusing reading his desperate attempts to avoid being wrong! First it's gas, then it's hose pipes and exhaust gasses and now he's on nitrous oxide! When all this is rubbished he'll think of some other deadly aerosol from Boots. Talking of aerosols!

Anyway, I'm off out now and am just about to don my invisibility cloak so that I can slip in without paying!

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-08-08 6:25 PM

But come on, answer the question. How long would all this have taken and how come no one noticed?It was just after midnight, not four a.m.

"The summer heat had made the group restless and unable to sleep. Mrs Chadwick says the last thing she remembers is seeing the lights of a car at 4.40am before ‘zoning out’.

‘We all woke up at around about the same time, at 6am, with terrible headaches and really sore throats. We were all in shock. It was so awful."

They arrived at midnight ;-).................

Try to keep up :D...........

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2014-08-08 6:30 PM

I don't know the whole story above as it seems to have been edited, but it begs the question of what gas appliances were on when the 'gassing' took place as even a non vented fridge, or a single gas burner used as a space heater can be very dangerous.

According to some on here, its not possible to pump enough gas/fumes into a camper Rich ;-).................looks like we're wasting our money buying CO alarms? :-S..........

This one puzzles me. It is initially plausible, but not entirely convincing. For a start, there is no clue as to how the CO was introduced into the van.

Merely terminating a flexible from an exhaust under the van might, or might not - depending for example on wind strength - allow it to permeate in. However, the rate of permeation, and the concentration therefore being reached, would be incalculable.

Passing a tube into the van from below would require the breaching of a gas-drop. Possible, and capable of being carried out silently, but still requiring the right concentration to be achieved for anaesthesia.

They all appear of similar size and build (bet the van was overoaded :-)), so would probably succumb at about the same time (though I'd have thought differing ages and possibly health whould have led to differing outcomes). CO is not much lighter than air so would presumably spread fairly evenly, so sleeping high up or low down would not have made that much difference - though those sleeping higher would have been liable to get the highest dose. However, it seems odd that no-one seems to have suffered any of the symptoms listed below before becoming unconscious.

Also, since they cited discomfort from heat making them restless, it seems odd they don't mention having had any of the rooflights open, which should have allowed any CO build-up to dissipate.

However, the biggest flaws seem to me to be the time it takes for CO to act, the concentration necessary for unconsciousness within a reasonable (from a burglar's standpoint) timescale, and the probable time to achieve (and of necessity estimate/measure) that concentration using something as inexact as running a vehicle exhaust (the older the vehicle the higher the exhaust concentration of CO). It just has all the hallmarks of cooking on a charcoal barbecue, slow and imprecise, but with the added (? :-)) risk of killing the victims!

If I wanted to rob a motorhome, I don't think I'd be prepared to unciol my exhaust hose, and then settle back for an hour or two (with the hose lying on the ground on a reasonably well lit autoroute services) until reasonably certain all six of the occupants had become unconscious.

Accepting that they all suffered from CO poisioning, and that they were robbed, I just wonder if the source of the poisioning was within their own van, rather than external, and the robbers were merely lucky in targeting a vanload of already groggy travellers.

I've "borrowed this from Wiki. Thank you Wiki :-) But just look at the concentrations, their effects, and the timescales necessary for them to be realised.

Carbon monoxide poisioning.

Concentration...............Symptoms

35 ppm (0.0035%)........Headache and dizziness within six to eight hours of constant exposure

100 ppm (0.01%)..........Slight headache in two to three hours

200 ppm (0.02%)..........Slight headache within two to three hours; loss of judgment

400 ppm (0.04%)..........Frontal headache within one to two hours

800 ppm (0.08%)..........Dizziness, nausea, and convulsions within 45 min; insensible within 2 hours

1,600 ppm (0.16%).......Headache, tachycardia, dizziness, and nausea within 20 min; death in less than 2 hours

3,200 ppm (0.32%).......Headache, dizziness and nausea in five to ten minutes. Death within 30 minutes.

6,400 ppm (0.64%).......Headache and dizziness in one to two minutes. Convulsions, respiratory arrest, and death in less than 20 minutes.

12,800 ppm (1.28%).....Unconsciousness after 2–3 breaths. Death in less than three minutes.

So, as a sceptic who is open to persuasion given good evidence, I find the evidence lacking and remain a sceptic. I'm prepared to believe they believe it, and that they suffered CO poisioning, but not that the CO poisioning was deliberate in aid of robbery. Too slow, too uncertain. Plus, older Fiat door locks are quite easy to open, I understand, even assuming they remembered to lock them.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2014-08-08 6:49 PM

So, as a sceptic who is open to persuasion given good evidence, I find the evidence lacking and remain a sceptic. I'm prepared to believe they believe it, and that they suffered CO poisioning, but not that the CO poisioning was deliberate in aid of robbery. Too slow, too uncertain. Plus, older Fiat door locks are quite easy to open, I understand, even assuming they remembered to lock them.

As it was hot I assume only the fridge was on.............so if this was what caused them to suffer from CO poisoning................How lucky for the tea leafs :D...............to find a van full of unconscious people.........what are the odds on that eh Brian? ;-)..............

BTW........... As the lock was damaged I reckon we can assume it was locked :-| ...........

Archived