E bikes In Spain....Beware!

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental
markh1 - 2014-11-01 4:59 PM

Note, the cycle helmet rule ONLY applies to under 16 year olds, so if you don't want to wear one, don't worry

Sorry but not so..thats misinformation

This was common knowledge in Spain 2 years ago with people getting fined cycling on main roads between towns. Spain is a law unto itsself, better being safe than sorry

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7984

http://www.abacoadvisers.com/spain_explained/blog/spanish-law/cycle-helmet-laws-spain

"The new Spanish law

In comparison to some other countries, Spain already has some quite restrictive laws when it comes to wearing a cycle helmet. In 2004 the compulsory wearing of a helmet was introduced for those cycling outside of urban areas. Much to the displeasure of some cycling groups, the law has remained, albeit infrequently enforced.

With the new driving laws prepared in 2013 the intention had been to make existing laws even stricter by making helmet-wearing compulsory for everyone, everywhere. The proposals met with dismay from some quarters and many town halls made a case against the compulsory wearing of helmets in the city. Some of this opposition could be linked to the impact it might have on the public bicycle hire system that operates in some places.

Following this strong opposition, the section of the law requiring helmets in city centres as well as outside, was removed. Instead, from the 9th May 2014, it became obligatory only for cyclists of 16 years old or less to wear a helmet at all times. The rest of the existing law stays the same. Adults older than 16 must wear a helmet outside of city centres but are exempt during periods of excessive heat, on steep hills or if they are professional cyclists."

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2014-11-01 5:43 PM

The rest of the existing law stays the same. Adults older than 16 must wear a helmet outside of city centres but are exempt if they are professional cyclists."

With my slime frame I'll get away with that :D .............

Spain sounds absolutely Lovely (Not !), I already don't cross the water because I tow a car with an A-frame, now they are using 'small print' EU law to crack down on those other 'master criminals' Electric bike riders, do they ever 'turn their hands' to any REAL crime fighting ? or perhaps that is not so lucrative ? The sooner we get away from 'EU laws' the better. Ray

Guest Had Enough
Rayjsj - 2014-11-02 11:12 AM

Spain sounds absolutely Lovely (Not !), I already don't cross the water because I tow a car with an A-frame, now they are using 'small print' EU law to crack down on those other 'master criminals' Electric bike riders, do they ever 'turn their hands' to any REAL crime fighting ? or perhaps that is not so lucrative ? The sooner we get away from 'EU laws' the better. Ray

I know, and guess what? The crafty devils 'over the water' have speed traps and breathalysers and there's a slight chance that if you're grossly overweight you may be fined. I've also heard that they frown on motorcyclists who don't wear helmets and on motorists who don't tax and insure their cars. Bunch of bloody fascists!

Take my word for it, you're far better staying in the UK where you'll be safe. OK, you're missing the delights of fabulous France, pretty Portugal and extremely interesting Spain, Not to mention the rest of the countries that we've loved such as Italy, Morocco, Slovenia, Croatia, Germany, The Netherlands, Denmark etc etc.

But you can't put a price on safety can you? Well, apart from the cost of a decent trailer to comply with the law, but who'd want to spend all that when you can go to Torquay or Scarborough?

You're a very wise man! ;-)

Well the EU halved roaming charges...good or bad?

And in the small market town on the Welsh border where we are the police last week were out in force stopping likely vehicles, directing them to the community college car park and checking for all sorts......bald tyres, agricultural diesel, fixed penalties for broken bulbs. Nothing to do with the EU.

It would be funny wouldn't it if we left the EU and they deported all the people who retired to Spain and France?

Guest Had Enough
Muswell - 2014-11-02 11:31 AM

And when does a law become "small print"?

Precisely. I'm an ebike rider and as long as my bike conforms to certain specifications I have the privilege of riding it without insurance or road tax of any kind.

But there are people out there who tweak them so that they're very powerful and faster, which must make them much more dangerous. The EU wants to harmonise the specifications to ensure that our streets don't have lots of uninsured idiots riding what becomes a fast motor scooter.

But as we've heard, whilst the traffic police are doing their jobs some people think that the Spanish equivalents of the Special Branch, dealing with terrorism, the Fraud Squads, the Serious Crime departments and the rest of the C.I.D are automatically given a holiday from fighting 'REAL crime'.

When the traffic police carry out breath tests, or mount tax and insurance checks, mobile phone use and speeding checks they're not cracking down on drivers. They're cracking down on drunken or speeding drivers, uninsured and untaxed drivers and idiots on mobile phones.

The Spanish police aren't cracking down on electric bikes, they're cracking down on illegal electric bikes. Anyway. it's lovely here so I'm now going for a ride on my legal one!

Oh, and the EU is abolishing all roaming charges from next year! But of course if you're worried about crossing the water that may not interest you! (lol)

Guest JudgeMental

Nice one Frank (and Muswell)

maybe a timely reminder with all the poppies around of one of the major benefits of 40 years of peace.....no longer have to worry about your sons being needlessly slaughtered in some foreign field.

but as usual on here no issue can pass without the little englanders making more ridiculous anti EU posturings...All bluff and bluster!

Rayjsj - 2014-11-02 11:12 AM

Ray I don't want to get into an argument with you, but to write off mainland Europe as a motorhoming destination for any reason is a great pity.

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2014-11-02 12:43 PM

maybe a timely reminder with all the poppies around of one of the major benefits of 40 years of peace.....no longer have to worry about your sons being needlessly slaughtered in some foreign field.

but as usual on here no issue can pass without the little englanders making more ridiculous anti EU posturings...All bluff and bluster!

Eh? :-S ..................Does Iraq Afghanistan not count, how about Northern Ireland or the Falklands or a bit further back Korea? :-| ...........

pelmetman - 2014-11-02 1:40 PM

Eh? :-S ..................Does Iraq Afghanistan not count, how about Northern Ireland or the Falklands or a bit further back Korea? :-| ...........

Easy done Dave ... What's a few conflicts between friends

pelmetman - 2014-11-02 1:40 PM

Korea was more than 40 years ago.

At least these days our sons are not conscripted to go whether they like it or not.

:-|

Guest JudgeMental

I did promise not to be dragged into a discussion with the lunatic fringe on here again.....But Hey Ho here we go.:-D

A: Iraq and Afghanistan are not in Europe (^)

B: No sons were CONSCRIPTED to fight there (^)

edit: post crossed - well said Malc

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2014-11-02 1:53 PM

I did promise not to be dragged into a discussion with the lunatic fringe on here again.....But Hey Ho here we go.:-D

A: Iraq and Afghanistan are not in Europe (^)

B: No sons were CONSCRIPTED to fight there (^)

edit: post crossed - well said Malc

My mistake I forgot its OK to die for your country if your a volunteer :-| .................

sshortcircuit - 2014-11-02 2:07 PM

I would be interested to know how the Spanish police are going to implemented this offences concerning bikes that do not comply. Will it be on the spot fines, bikes impounded or what? Is it a requirement that I carry ID in Spain as how else will I be traced?

I understand it is a legal requirement to carry an I D document it Spain - as in many other countries.

As we don't have I D cards ( yet ) we need to carry our passports.

;-)

Guest JudgeMental

I would be interested to know how the Spanish police are going to implemented this offences concerning bikes that do not comply. Will it be on the spot fines, bikes impounded or what? Is it a requirement that I carry ID in Spain as how else will I be traced?

If you look through linked thread there is a newspaper article about women who appealed the 2000€ fine and lost and was fined an additional 400€. i would think you wold be marched of to the nearest cash point (and that has happened to me in spain before for a spurious speeding fine) Spanish men with guns tend to have a serious disposition! :D

malc d - 2014-11-02 2:15 PM

I understand it is a legal requirement to carry an I D document it Spain - as in many other countries.

;-)

What a huge cash cow for the police. Just wait outside the hotels where all those Brits who have been advise to use safety deposit boxes for their passports and book them there and then. How many carry passports? ??

sshortcircuit - 2014-11-02 2:40 PM

malc d - 2014-11-02 2:15 PM

;-)

What a huge cash cow for the police. Just wait outside the hotels where all those Brits who have been advise to use safety deposit boxes for their passports and book them there and then. How many carry passports? ??

Yes, another good reason not to go further than Scarborough. :D

Archived