E bikes In Spain....Beware!

Guest JudgeMental

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental
Had Enough - 2014-11-06 4:41 PM

Of course it's only ebike threads that can deteriorate into arguments. None of the others ever do.

strange that (not) and empty vessels make the most noise?

Of course it's only ebike threads that can deteriorate into arguments. None of the others ever do.

Must be something about cyclists.

Over on Chatterbox there's a good rave going on about bashing cyclists ... no mention of Ebikes there just good old fashioned cycling,

I don't know Frank I like to keep myself to myself and just read the threads that appeal to me so I can't talk for others , good evening by the way

Guest JudgeMental
Will85 - 2014-11-08 10:04 AM

But of course Eddie I am a long time cyclist, ridden almost every type and shape including wooden wheeled ones.

However never an E bike and I'm not sure that I would like them.

like anything else Will there are fantastic e bikes and downright laughable ones. Yoy pays your monies and makes your choice....

when you get a bit older and need some assistance on hills, that turn cycling back to being a pleasure rather than a chore..I'll be happy to suggest some to try :-D

Guest Had Enough
Will85 - 2014-11-08 10:04 AM

But of course Eddie I am a long time cyclist, ridden almost every type and shape including wooden wheeled ones.

However never an E bike and I'm not sure that I would like them.

How can you say that until you've tried? Bit of a closed mind here it seems? As Judge suggests, ebikes give the occasional cyclists, the elderly and the less fit the opportunity to enjoy the pleasures of bike riding.

My wife has had two knees replaced and only bikes on holiday, but this year we've had some superb cycling days including a twenty-mile ride on the Ile de Re, something she could never manage on a normal bike, even if the island is flat.

Guest JudgeMental
a bit harsh Frank. another aspect that gets forgotten, the anti e bike brigade are hardly ever regular cyclists and use a car most of the time 8-)

Had Enough - 2014-11-08 12:15 PM

How can you say that until you've tried? Bit of a closed mind here it seems? As Judge suggests, ebikes give the occasional cyclists, the elderly and the less fit the opportunity to enjoy the pleasures of bike riding.

[/quote

Quite agree, Can't say any more. PS Not tried this one either]

959833176_Ebike.thumb.jpg.f5ce16487220002fae16eb27bc3de61b.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
artheytrate - 2014-11-10 5:30 PM

I've checked my bike and no stickers fitted, but I've also checked my manual once more and in small print it states.

CE CERTIFIED EN61000-6-3:2001 + ALL:2004

EN61000-6-1:2001

Doe's this comply.

John.

thought it needs to be EN 15194, but your bike looks like its built earlier?. Does it have an independent throttle. if no don't worry, if yes disconnect when in Spain?

Just been on to my household insurer AVIVA and although my 2 electric bikes are covered for theft there is NO Public liability insurance cover. Ordinary bikes yes they are included.

they have just quoted an additional premium of £49:50p for 12months cover for full public liability.

I believe that the Spanish Police in their exuberance may have done us a favour, because in the unfortunate event of me or my beloved crashing into someone on our Electric Bikes (cycle lane /road/forest trail) etc, without public liability we could be in deep Do Do if they sued us for damage.

my supplier is sending me a C of C so at a cost we should comply for Spain and be safe/covered if sued for damages caused in UK or foreign parts.

Agree it seems expensive as my Motorcycle only costs £75 fully comprehensive, but that's life.

PS there is zero pro rata for say the unexpired part of my policy this year.

hope the above helps, especially the part about public liability not being covered. Other forum users insurers may of course include Electric bikes, be good to know come renewal time.

regards to all especially the Judge original post.

Mike

Interesting point about Public Liability cover Mike.

I've checked my Comfort Home Insurance which seems to cover me. However accidents with "motorised" vehicles are excluded-presumably of course because that would be under Motor Cover.

As the e-bike is separately defined as an EAPC I guess it's not "motorised"

I'd be interested in others views, especially if covered by Comfort Home/Travel

My house insurance is explicit on the matter of third party liability cover.

It removes the exclusion of the use of most powered vehicles for amongst other things "electrically assisted pedal cycles that are not required to be licensed if used on a public road".

i.e. there is cover for use of EAPCs.

Guest pelmetman

I'm seeing a nice little earner here ;-) ................wait for the woosh..........quick glance and boosh >:-) ............

Whiz bosh bash for cash........... :D...............

Sophie, have you actually phoned your insurance company. I thought that I was covered as my bikes do not have to be registered for the road and as you say are EPAC, but it seems that the electrical assistance make the difference.

May be worth a phone call just to be sure

Regards Mike

I don't see a person using an Ebike as 'a cyclist'. Surely a cyclist is one who cycles. Sitting on a cycle being propelled along independently is not "cycling".

If a machine be it a cycle or a wheelbarrow is powered by ANY means even solar it is not a cycle but an object (regardless of numbers of wheels) that is propelled by an outside source.

A bicycle just happens to be named a cycle because when it was designed that's what its ONLY use was.

Guest Had Enough
Will85 - 2014-11-12 1:49 PM

I don't see a person using an Ebike as 'a cyclist'. Surely a cyclist is one who cycles. Sitting on a cycle being propelled along independently is not "cycling".

If a machine be it a cycle or a wheelbarrow is powered by ANY means even solar it is not a cycle but an object (regardless of numbers of wheels) that is propelled by an outside source.

A bicycle just happens to be named a cycle because when it was designed that's what its ONLY use was.

You're very fond aren't you of pronouncing on things that you know nothing about? Anyone wanting to just sit there and be propelled wouldn't get very far.

Ebikes offer assistance and if you want to go a decent distance you have to put quite a bit of effort in, otherwise the battery won't last long.

When you come to a steep hill, that would be hard on an occasional cyclist, they make it much easier, but I can assure you, if you were to do a thirty mile ride on an ebike, you'd know that you'd done it!

Ebikes allow people who only cycle on holidays, or people who aren't very fit, through physical problems or otherwise, to enjoy cycling in much the same way as they did when they were younger and fitter.

You've stated quite clearly that ebikes aren't for you. That's fine, even though your view on them appears to stem from total ignorance, but if you're not interested, I just wish that you'd let us who are discuss them, without your constant carping.

Will85 - 2014-11-12 1:49 PM

Oh dear .. I'm glad you've said that Will .. I can sense the anger and blood boiling right now with one or two of those ' cyclists ' .. You just can't go around saying those sort of things

Archived