E bikes In Spain....Beware!

Guest JudgeMental

sshortcircuit - 2014-11-02 2:40 PM

malc d - 2014-11-02 2:15 PM

sshortcircuit - 2014-11-02 2:07 PM

I would be interested to know how the Spanish police are going to implemented this offences concerning bikes that do not comply. Will it be on the spot fines, bikes impounded or what? Is it a requirement that I carry ID in Spain as how else will I be traced?

I understand it is a legal requirement to carry an I D document it Spain - as in many other countries.

As we don't have I D cards ( yet ) we need to carry our passports.

;-)

What a huge cash cow for the police. Just wait outside the hotels where all those Brits who have been advise to use safety deposit boxes for their passports and book them there and then. How many carry passports? ??

I should think a current UK driving licence would be acceptable as an ID as long as you have the photo card variety.

;-)

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental
Muswell - 2014-11-02 3:01 PM

sshortcircuit - 2014-11-02 2:40 PM

How many carry passports? ??

Well I do. Passport, a bank card and and some cash stay in a travel pouch under my shirt.

Me to......and that's when just popping down the road to Waitrose :D

Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-11-02 1:53 PM

I did promise not to be dragged into a discussion with the lunatic fringe on here again.....But Hey Ho here we go.:-D

A: Iraq and Afghanistan are not in Europe (^)

B: No sons were CONSCRIPTED to fight there (^)

You surely didn't expect the lunatic fringe to know that Iraq, Afghanistan, the Falklands and Korea aren't in Europe did you? Have you learned nothing? ;-)

For crying out loud, one of them can't even tell the difference between relatively small conflicts where the forces personnel are volunteers who sign up knowing the risks involved, and European-initiated world wars, which are so enormous that most able-bodied young men in the country have to be forcibly conscripted, whether they want to be or not.

Yep, the EU has ensured that the wars between the major powers of Europe, that plagued the continent for centuries, no longer occur. But what are millions of lives saved when we have the chance to stop a few immigrants from Poland and Latvia eh? Let's demolish this stupid EU now, who cares if, one day in the future, WW III breaks out? According to some members of the CMC, we need to reduce the population. What better way than a really big war? *-)

Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-11-02 3:04 PM

Me to......and that's when just popping down the road to Lidl :D

You snob Eddie. I've amended your post to tell the truth. (lol) (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-11-02 4:19 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-11-02 1:53 PM

I did promise not to be dragged into a discussion with the lunatic fringe on here again.....But Hey Ho here we go.:-D

A: Iraq and Afghanistan are not in Europe (^)

B: No sons were CONSCRIPTED to fight there (^)

You surely didn't expect the lunatic fringe to know that Iraq, Afghanistan, the Falklands and Korea aren't in Europe did you? Have you learned nothing? ;-)

For crying out loud, one of them can't even tell the difference between relatively small conflicts where the forces personnel are volunteers who sign up knowing the risks involved, and European-initiated world wars, which are so enormous that most able-bodied young men in the country have to be forcibly conscripted, whether they want to be or not.

Yep, the EU has ensured that the wars between the major powers of Europe, that plagued the continent for centuries, no longer occur. But what are millions of lives saved when we have the chance to stop a few immigrants from Poland and Latvia eh? Let's demolish this stupid EU now, who cares if, one day in the future, WW III breaks out? According to some members of the CMC, we need to reduce the population. What better way than a really big war? *-)

Russia doesn't seem so keen on the EU's expansionist policies with regard to the Ukraine ;-)...........indeed they're probably responsible for the country eventually being divided in two :-| ...........

BTW Eddie never mentioned Europe in his post ;-)............

Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-11-02 12:43 PM

Nice one Frank (and Muswell)

maybe a timely reminder with all the poppies around of one of the major benefits of 40 years of peace.....no longer have to worry about your sons being needlessly slaughtered in some foreign field.

but as usual on here no issue can pass without the little englanders making more ridiculous anti EU posturings...All bluff and bluster!

In future Eddie, when we're discussing the disadvantages or otherwise of the EU and you mention it being responsible for decades of peace, you really shouldn't assume that all our members are clever enough to work out that, as it's the EU, you're talking about wars between European nations.

Please try to make things simpler in future to cater for the more cerebrally challenged, that's a good chap. ;-) *-)

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-11-02 4:40 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-11-02 12:43 PM

Nice one Frank (and Muswell)

maybe a timely reminder with all the poppies around of one of the major benefits of 40 years of peace.....no longer have to worry about your sons being needlessly slaughtered in some foreign field.

but as usual on here no issue can pass without the little englanders making more ridiculous anti EU posturings...All bluff and bluster!

In future Eddie, when we're discussing the disadvantages or otherwise of the EU and you mention it being responsible for decades of peace, you really shouldn't assume that all our members are clever enough to work out that, as it's the EU, you're talking about wars between European nations.

Please try to make things simpler in future to cater for the more cerebrally challenged, that's a good chap. ;-) *-)

Just to clarify for you Frank as you seem to be struggling with the part of Eddies thread that I took issue with ;-) ............

"maybe a timely reminder with all the poppies around of one of the major benefits of 40 years of peace.....no longer have to worry about your sons being needlessly slaughtered in some foreign field."

Now to me Iraq and Afghanistan etc come under the heading foreign *-) .................although it appears if the folk who died are volunteers, then that's alright to some on here because its what they signed up for :-| .................

malc d - 2014-11-02 2:58 PM..................I should think a current UK driving licence would be acceptable as an ID as long as you have the photo card variety. ;-)

Seemingly not. It is obligatory for Spanish nationals over the age of 14 to be able to produce their identity document to the authorities on demand. The alternative acceptable document for visitors who do not have Identity Cards is their Passport.

The same is true in Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Malta, Poland and Slovakia. There are also circumstences when the police in the Netherlands can require identity documents to be produced. In some cases the age at which carrying becomes compulsory is higher than 14. The source is Europa and Wiki. Whether a photocard driver's licence would be acceptable in these other countries was not clear. So, best to check before assuming.

The point seems to be that it is better to carry one's passport than not. AFAIK, one is only likely to be asked for proof of identity under specific circumstances. Under those circumstances, it seems better to be able to comply, than to further aggravate a situtaion by not having an appropriate document.

There seems to be great reluctance on the part of some to accept that countries still have their own laws, and have not been homoginised into some Euro super-state. The point about e-bikes, and whether they are deemed bicycles or motorised vehicles, is a case in point. By law, motorised vehicles have to be insured against at least third party risks. This is universal throughout the EU area. So, if your bike is deemed to be a motorised vehicle, it is required to be insured. Its CoC will clarify which category it falls into. If it has no CoC, it will be deemed in Spain to be a motorised vehicle, and so to require insurance. If no CoC can be produced, a finable offence is commited. If no insurance can be produced, a more serious finable offence is committed. If neither can be produced, you get hit by both fines.

Spain has some form on summarily introducing laws, a number of which have had retrospective effect. Consider all those apartment developments that have been demolished because they were not properly authorised. If you'd bought one, tough! There is no point in complaining: Spain is Spain. It is also a federation of sorts, within which laws, and their enforcement, vary between the individual states. The UK is a highly unified state and we are used to the idea that the law is the law wherever. This is not so in Spain (and a number of other countries).

How can anyone demonstrate with certainty that the forming of the EU has prevented war,

I thought a very minor part of the problem in WW2 was Hitler. >:-)

Who knows, if he hadn't come along we may have all lived in peaceful coexistence, like we have for decades with numerous NON EU countries

Guest JudgeMental
Had Enough - 2014-11-02 4:20 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-11-02 3:04 PM

Me to......and that's when just popping down the road to Lidl :D

You snob Eddie. I've amended your post to tell the truth. (lol) (lol)

Very perceptive Frank.......Your actually spot on! (lol)

For crying out loud fellas - all Eddie did was post some information which he thought would be useful and lo and behold the loonies have all escaped again and perverted it into yet another soapbox for broadcasting their own personal brand of selective history and politics with which most people are more than fed up reading about.

I do realise that it is my own silly fault for opening this thread again in the vain hope that I might learn something useful but please guys (NOT Eddie!!) give it a rest and give us all a break from the monotony of ill informed rants.

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2014-11-03 12:20 AM

Goodness me Rich, I find myself in total agreement with you! :-D

Goodness me 2....me 2 (lol)

but what I have realised is the lunatic fringe on here beyond help..

HOY! Frank..here is a pic of my key ring 8-)

288317645_waitrosekeyring.jpg.476d0a7343905b813bb8ebc39e0125f3.jpg

been over the water since 2nd September, been in Spain about 3 weeks or so.....have not had any difficulties, nor info on this subject before. so thanks, Eddie.

however, we do have our insurance certificates and we are 'true' crank driven pedelec, so shouldn't be a problem.....but thanks, anyway...

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2014-11-03 9:14 AM

HOY! Frank..here is a pic of my key ring 8-)

Looks like a cheap Chinese copy to me ;-) ...................You can buy anything on the tinternet now days :D .........

Getting back to the subject Ebikes in Spain..

I have just been in contact with my insurer..the bikes are insured on my house and contents policy..

I asked if I can have a certificate of insurance, but they say that the bikes are covered under household policy, and they dont understand why a certificate is required..they said that as user of the bikes, I am covered in event of a claim against me if, as a result of using the bike, a case is proven in law demonstrating that I was Negligent which resulted in a claim.

No certificate is necessary, as the policy covers me

they pointed out that this applies in respect of my use of "Battery assisted bicycles, where the assistence is available when pedalling" and SEEMS to exclude throttle option bikes..

this proviso seems to be a way of disputing any liability as my bike has a throttle option which cuts in only when pedalling..so going downhill on cruise only and having an accident would seem to be not covered..I must remember to pedal into the accident therefore...or find a different insurer.

or better still go back to pushbike and leave battery behind.

I just wonder how many other ebikers are in a similar catch all situation..check you insurance IN EXTREME DETAIL

tonyg3nwl.

That is probably because your policy is designed to cover you in the UK where no insurance certificate is needed.

Did the insurer clarify in writing that they would cover you for third party liability abroad and Spain specifically?

If so and you have it in writing why not take it with you - and maybe consider a Spanish translation as well as it is free online?

If not, a copy of your household policy wording and the schedule highlighting the bike cover bits - and a translation might be considered by some to be a belt and braces approach?

ref ins; our bikes are insured through house policy but it doesn,t cover if you knock somebody down ?, Had an email from our bikes supplier and they suggest the throttle grip could be drilled into the metal, screw a self tapper in the handlbar through the grip so it doesn,t turn, hey presto no auto throttle.

Guest JudgeMental

dont worry folks your not alone as many don't seem to understand the distinctions.

IF your e bike has NO EC label conforming conformity with the EPAC regulations

http://www.bike-eu.com/Laws-Regulations/General/2009/4/EPAC-Standard-Document-for-e-Bikes-Now-Available-BIK003376W/

you need either a COC

OR

insurance as its deemed a low power moped

please dont get confused..we are not talking about household or theft insurance OR third party insurance....BUT full vehicle insurance as without evidence to the contrary its deemed a low powered moped

I may well be wrong but think not.....

Archived