£ devaluation/Motorhome prices!

Colin Leake

pelmetman - 2016-10-10 7:02 PM

i guess it depends on ....erm....how much you value your sovereignty ;-) ........

For me the most baffling facet of the whole campaign was how a bunch of over privileged work shy Eton Tory Toffs like Boris Johnson were, through sheer Chutzpah, able to convince working people they wanted to take power from Brussels and give that power to the people instead of keeping it for themselves. *-)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2016-10-12 6:59 PM

i guess it depends on ....erm....how much you value your sovereignty ;-) ........

For me the most baffling facet of the whole campaign was how a bunch of over privileged work shy Eton Tory Toffs like Boris Johnson were, through sheer Chutzpah, able to convince working people they wanted to take power from Brussels and give that power to the people instead of keeping it for themselves. *-)

But they're "Our" over privileged work shy Eton toffs ;-) .........

John52 - 2016-10-12 6:59 PM

Easy.

Pretend to be a people person and feed them a load of bull. I've lost count of posts i read on political forums a few days after saying "i only voted out because i didn't think leave would win". That's the sort of lunacy Cameron handed the future of the country over to. Brexit didn't even have a plan in place for exiting which is another reason we are in such a bloody mess now. I really don't believe the full enormity, or consequences of their actions have hit home yet.

Guess what the most googled search was in the lead up to the referendum?

"What is the EU?" *-)

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/eu-referendum-what-is-the-eu-trends-on-google-hours-after-brexit-result-announced-a3280581.html

Just back to the original thread, at the NEC yesterday I spoke to a few dealers who would only quote in euros for new models.

There was an expression of utter disbelief from continental manufacturers about brexit, "what have you done?"

No idea, I had to reply, and neither has anyone else, lots of folk knew what they didn't want, but the second question, "so what DO you want then?" Wasn't on the voting paper.

PJay - 2016-10-12 5:49 PM.............................

I will be interested to see some comments when we are finally out

Stick around, and I'm sure we'll oblige!

Things can only get better, nothing can be worse than being controlled by another country (Brussel) and before any one says it, I KNOW Brussells is not a country, but they sure have a lot of influence

PJay

You KNOW all this for an absolute fact, do you? There is absolutely no chance that things may stay the same, or even get worse? I'm just wondering what definition of "better" you may be using? :-)

But seriously, what has "Brussels" (a.k.a. the EU) imposed on the UK to its detriment, and how will leaving the EU rectify those issues?

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2016-10-12 10:25 PM

But seriously, what has "Brussels" (a.k.a. the EU) imposed on the UK to its detriment, and how will leaving the EU rectify those issues?

How about not having 26 other countries deciding how we run our own? ;-) ..........

Most of these points are not necessarily bad, lowering pollution, road safety for bikers, agricultural policies, fishing policies all surely have a place and are common sense but do we need Brussels dictating to us how we implement the rules. - I think there are about 780,000 rules, every one in theory now needs review, - Keep it, / Ditch it / Modify it, will keep civil servants in a job for many years.

Being forced to take 100,000 immigrant's a year when the target is around 10,000

or

endless rules concerning Motorcycles, - Type approval for example, testing, restrictions etc -

or

Euro V or Euro VI engines, all the discussions around ad-blue etc.

or

Human Rights - again, not a bad thing (A very good thing) however making it nearly impossible to deport those who we don't want who challenge our way of life in extreme ways.

or

Restrictions on farmers / fishermen.

PJay - 2016-10-12 5:49 PM

Or a case of a" Stay inner" being a bad loser?

Lol. Always amuses me that brexiters believe that their having a measly 2% majority means that the minority 48% that did not vote for it, should cease to have an opinion about it!

Imagine if when Labour looses a general election, they just think: 'Oh well, never mind we might as well just disband then' !!

I also live in Scotland, and we (stupidly) voted to remain in the UK 2 years ago, so have to live with a UK decision that we never voted for.

The current turmoil is just the very tip of the iceberg, we have a huge devaluation of Sterling to look forward to (I think it will sink to 0.80EUR) the associated inflation, and the interest rate rises, property repossessions, mass unemployment, increased borrowing, decreased UK credit-worthiness that will follow will fuel the growing fire that is support for Scottish independence. Basically, I believe that economic events in the UK will lead to massive support for independence simply to avoid going down with the 'sinking ship' that is the UK.

I do sincerely hope that I am wrong and that others on here are right, but I just don't see it. The only thing that is certain is that in time we will know for sure which way this will go.

Nigel

Guest pelmetman
veletron - 2016-10-13 12:32 PM

Lol. Always amuses me that brexiters believe that their having a measly 2% majority means that the minority 48% that did not vote for it, should cease to have an opinion about it!

Imagine if when Labour looses a general election, they just think: 'Oh well, never mind we might as well just disband then' !!

If the Tories or Labour got elected witH 52% of the vote......they'd call that a landslide......and if you take the Scottish vote out of the referendum ;-) .........then it'll be a landslide too B-) .......

But of course Queen Nicola will be doing her best to keep us English in against our will *-) .........

Should she succeed then I suspect the next referendum will be the English asking for independence from Scotland :D ........

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/nigel-farage-eu-referendum_uk_576e6585e4b08d2c56393f12

;-)

pelmetman - 2016-10-13 10:12 AM

Brian Kirby - 2016-10-12 10:25 PM

How about not having 26 other countries deciding how we run our own? ;-) ..........

I said seriously, Dave. You're showing signs of paranoia now you're getting close to achieving your nightmare. Same question, what has "Brussels" (a.k.a. the EU) imposed on the UK to its detriment? Saying 26 other countries reach agreements, along with the UK, that are then accepted by all, isn't specific. I'm after the specifics, not the sound bites! :-D

Last time we had a devaluation like this the quality of some imports was reduced to help keep the price down. We had a Rapido at the time very high quality solid maple wood doors etc. When we looked at replacing it the spec had been cut and the sence of quality lost. We bought an AutoTrail instead. Now we have an AutoSleeper Warwick XL that we only had for two years so unless Peugeot come out with a proper automatic we won't be changing for a few years.

I also live in Scotland, and we (stupidly) voted to remain in the UK 2 years ago, so have to live with a UK decision that we never voted for.

Nigel

Depending on what approach Theresa May takes i think you will be seeing a second referendum within two years, possibly less, and Scotland will certainly get a 'yes' to leave and stay with the EU though i think Sturgeon will have her work cut out negotiating a good deal with Brussels.

Archiesgrandad - 2016-10-12 3:59 PM

Well said Alan, but I think that on the question of peace in Europe I kinda feel that the main reason it has endured since WW2 is that other countries throughout the free world have allowed Germany to create their Greater German European Empire without fighting for it , they had started 2 World Wars in their previous attempts to achieve it, but this time they used the money earned from the industrial base which they had created with American money paid through the Marshall Plan.

It started with the Iron and Steel co-operation, which stopped Germany having to fight France for Alsace and it's resources, they then bribed Belgium to join by giving them the HQ and all that wealth, they then proceeded to bribe or frighten most of the other countries to join in, using German and later British money. Why the UK got sucked in I'll never understand, and the good old US of A let them do it because they were terrified of the Russians.

The apparent wealth of the minor countries like Ireland and Belgium etc, is not true wealth, it is based on artificial tax breaks and the other incentives funded by the EU, that enables them to attract companies like Google and IBM to have a small office there and so avoid taxes elsewhere. One day it will have to end.

People talk about us being worse off if we no longer have a seat at the top table, but we have had such a seat for 40 years and what did that achieve? We are told that Margaret Thatcher banged the table and got us our rebate, but we were never told if she had to make concessions to get her "victory", and in any case Blair gave half of it back when he tried to get the top job for himself. Having failed at that he then sold us to the USA to use in Iraq. What else did we achieve?

I cannot understand for the life of me why politicians of all persuasions and senior civil servants have for 40 years wanted to be part of such a self serving, anti British, undemocratic, collection of losers. I don't blame the EU for all our our problems, our own politicians have more than created their fair share, but I cannot see what they thought we would achieve.

AGD

Morning folks,

Spot on, AGD

norm

Well I've just ordered a new Hymer but I have offset exchange rate risks by trading in my van. Worth doing as I got 10-12k more for my van than I could get in the UK more than I would get selling privately, difference I have to pay is small. Only real risk with the exchange rate is the amount of VAT I will have to pay.

lennyhb - 2016-10-15 7:31 AM

Well I've just ordered a new Hymer but I have offset exchange rate risks by trading in my van. Worth doing as I got 10-12k more for my van than I could get in the UK more than I would get selling privately, difference I have to pay is small. Only real risk with the exchange rate is the amount of VAT I will have to pay.

Are you saying you can get more selling your Hymer abroad than you can in the UK?

I find that surprising as I thought we went abroad to buy them not sell them, as they cost less abroad.

Even more so after the crash in the pound.

John52 - 2016-10-15 11:30 AM

Are you saying you can get more selling your Hymer abroad than you can in the UK?

I find that surprising as I thought we went abroad to buy them not sell them, as they cost less abroad.

Yes, I got 25% more compared to what UK dealers were offering another guy on fun had similar results.

Foreign dealers don't work on the stupid rip off margins that UK dealers want. Not only did I get over 10k more for my van, also price of the new van is over 10k less than I could get it for in the UK.

This will be the 3rd Hymer we have brought from the same Belgium dealer, current van is only 2 years old (will be 3 by the new one delivered), we weren't planning on changing but the deal was so good just had to do it.

Also had the same trade in offer from German Carthago dealer, so it's not just a one off.

lennyhb - 2016-10-15 12:08 PM

Yes, I got 25% more compared to what UK dealers were offering another guy on fun had similar results.

Foreign dealers don't work on the stupid rip off margins that UK dealers want. Not only did I get over 10k more for my van, also price of the new van is over 10k less than I could get it for in the UK.

This will be the 3rd Hymer we have brought from the same Belgium dealer, current van is only 2 years old (will be 3 by the new one delivered), we weren't planning on changing but the deal was so good just had to do it.

Also had the same trade in offer from German Carthago dealer, so it's not just a one off.

Lenny

Your post illustrates perfectly what has long rattled me. But this doesn't just stop at motorhomes or vehicles. As previously mentioned i purchased a camera from the US which, even after paying import and mailing charges cost me £140 less than buying here in UK.

A friend of mine was looking for a camera holdall made by LowePro. The best price he could find here in UK was £190. I did a search for him and found a business trading in Canada selling the identical bag at £80......a massive difference. I double checked the model with him then ordered it. Including import and mailing it cost just over £100. When it arrived he opened it up and it was exactly what he'd wanted. But also inside were details of the company it had been exported from to Canada........Wolverhampton.......just 40 miles down the M6 from where we live!

When you experience something like that you have to ask yourself WHY are we paying such high prices in the UK? Everyone knows they have to pay tax though i find much of our tax system punitive (fuel is just ONE example!), but couple that to excessive profiteering and it's easy to see why people take their business elsewhere.

However not all are greedy, and this is where i'll get a plug in for a UK business! I buy all my accessories from this chap....http://www.thecaravanshop.co.uk/index.php because even with p&p his prices are cheaper than what any local mortohome/caravne accessory dealer charge!

Bulletguy - 2016-10-13 9:50 PM

Nigel

Depending on what approach Theresa May takes i think you will be seeing a second referendum within two years, possibly less, and Scotland w8ill certainly get a 'yes' to leave and stay with the EU though i think Sturgeon will have her work cut out negotiating a good deal with Brussels.

So, just like Ireland eh? Dont like the result of the first Referendum, so organise another ? What if the result is the same ? As it probably will be, or even a landslide to leave ? Is London going to vote to leave the UK too ? We live in interesting times.

Bulletguy - 2016-10-13 9:50 PM

Depending on what approach Theresa May takes i think you will be seeing a second referendum within two years, possibly less,

My thoughts are that if she calls a second referendum and loses, she could go the same way as Cameron.

So on a personal level she has everything to lose, and nothing to gain, by calling a second referendum.

Would she put her country before her own career?

On that basis democracy Nigel style would mean ignoring the majority of Scots who voted to stay in the UK and ignoring the majority of ALL UK voters that voted to leave the EU just because you don' t like the decisions reached? How is that democracy?

Personally I hope and expect that the next voting in the UK will be the 2020 general election where Mrs May and her government will stand or fall by the deals they get around the world. That and the unviable nature of all the opposition as things are right now.

I also hope and expect that Ms Sturgeon for all her posturing is put firmly in her place as a minor player in the UK grand scheme of things - especially with a low oil price and Scotland even more reliant on the English powerhouse for it's funding. Stronger together.

lennyhb - 2016-10-15 1:08 PM

We are also looking to buy in Europe, so was your trade in LHD or RHD, and as mine is RHD, I thought I would be committed to selling in the UK. I want the next van to be LHD,

Rayjsj - 2016-10-15 4:38 PM

So, just like Ireland eh? Dont like the result of the first Referendum, so organise another ? What if the result is the same ? As it probably will be, or even a landslide to leave ? Is London going to vote to leave the UK too ? We live in interesting times.

If you remember though Ray the reason Scotland lost their referendum was because Cameron and the "No" campaign told them it was in their best interest to vote "no" to protect Scotlands place in Europe. Understandably the Scots now feel a tad miffed and who can blame them?

John52 - 2016-10-15 7:11 PM

My thoughts are that if she calls a second referendum and loses, she could go the same way as Cameron.

So on a personal level she has everything to lose, and nothing to gain, by calling a second referendum.

Would she put her country before her own career?

It's certainly a big gamble, but Sturgeon can learn from Camerons crass stupidity by making it a simple "yes/no" but with a fixed percent margin, eg the difference must be more 10% or over. This is exactly what Cameron should have done hence the reason a tiny marginal figure of 3.78% took us out of the EU. A figure so worryingly miniscule nobody should be comfortable with.....and also a figure which had that been in favour of "Remain", Farage had said in the lead up to the Referendum he would see as "unfinished business" and demand a second referendum.

I'm no politician but i was staggered at Camerons madness, that he was prepared to gamble the future of the country on a simple "yes/no" as though he was a high roller in some Casino!

I have just looked at the new price on a UK new dealer website for my Autotrail Tracker FB £52.1k before any negotiations or extras. To buy that motorhome here in Sydney you will pay approx A$150k or UK£93.7, a difference of £41.6k and you think you lot are hard done by!!. There is no way the extras of freight, AU compliance of gas & electric etc etc will justify the price difference bearing in mind the U.K. Price includes the dealers margin. The bottom line is you will learn to live with the price difference once you see the benefits of border control etc. cheers,

Bulletguy - 2016-10-15 11:38 PM

If you remember though Ray the reason Scotland lost their referendum was because Cameron and the "No" campaign told them it was in their best interest to vote "no" to protect Scotlands place in Europe.

I thought it was because Cameron threw English taxpayers money at the Scots to stay in the UK - Government spending per person over £1,000 per year higher in Scotland than England

Bulletguy - 2016-10-15 11:38 PM I'm no politician but i was staggered at Camerons madness, that he was prepared to gamble the future of the country on a simple "yes/no" as though he was a high roller in some Casino!

Cameron wanted to silence the Brexiteers and keep the Tory party together by having a Brexit vote. The interests of the Tory party were put before the interests of the country.

Cameron didn't seem to anticipate Boris Johnson conning people into believing that leaving the EU would give us £350m a week to spend on the NHS. Or that Osborne would shoot himself in the foot by saying that Brexit would lead to a rise in interest rates and a fall in house prices - which is what an increasing number of people need. Its clear now that Osborne and Johnson were wrong. But it wasn't so clear at the time and must have swayed the vote.

Archived