It's Gloaty McGloatface time.........

Guest pelmetman

pelmetman - 2019-12-28 3:19 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-12-28 3:13 PM

pelmetman - 2019-12-28 2:36 PM...……………...

We will save the UK over a billion pounds a month after December 2020 B-) ................

Says who? At what cost?

You don't need a Diane Abbotcus to work out, that if you are no longer forced to hand over a Billion + a month.........You are a billion + a month better off B-) ...........

Your figure is out by a £billion according to the ONS.....it's 11bn net which amounts to a measly £166 per person annually or 45p a day. Just 1.3% of government expenditure so a mere fraction and the average is even less. For a bloke who boasts about spending "thousands every month" in Spain, an EU country, not only more than a tad ironic, but baffling that a person who voted to exit the EU, promptly runs off to spend half the year and "thousands every month" IN an EU country instead of his own country. :-S

https://tinyurl.com/y7xx6446

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Birdbrain - 2019-12-28 4:01 PM...........................………….

1 "To many its become like a game of football" ... Proof ??? ...

2 "None of them even knew what the EU was until the referendum" ... Proof ??? ...

3 You see thats you summed up perfectly over the last few years , sneering down at folk in your patronising holier than thou way und you wonder why your 3 years campaigning with your "thousands" of Labour friends ended in disaster ……………...

1 Do you really need proof of that self-evident fact? Look at all the references to "winners" and "losers", just as after some sporting fixture. No attempt to discuss the pros' and cons' of remain or leave: just win and lose. So, for those people it was never about whether leave was a good idea, it became just about the winning. It is sad, because it seems the cry of those for whom this was the only important thing in their lives that they had "won". But think: how happy will they be when they discover that in fact they, just as everyone else, have actually lost?

2 One of the most Googled words or phrases after the referendum was "what is the EU". See here: https://tinyurl.com/vvyb7l8 Hardly evidence that people knew beforehand, is it? Otherwise, why did so many ask?

3 Leaving aside the personal attack, who was "sneering down in a patronising, holier than thou, way"? What people commented on was what they saw and heard. The levels of ignorance that have been displayed have been astounding. If folk want to appear knowledgeable, they only need to quietly seek out the knowledge they want. Far smarter than spouting ignorant clap-trap - and then complaining when it provokes a "forthright" correction. I didn't like the tone of some of the replies people got (still don't) but I can understood why they got them. Those who don't "suffer fools gladly" are ever present, so why would any but fools provoke them?

Knock knock...don’t tar everyone with the same brush. Whereas I think there are a lot of people out there who either didn’t know much about the EU or what they were voting for , a lot did. I gave it carefull consideration and I’ve stated my views before, that there was much wrong (and still is) with the running of the EU. They are surprisingly changing their attitude because we are leaving. Too long went on between the vote and now so if a vote was to be held now I would seriously reconsider how I voted before. Short term financial pain is inevitable but what the future holds who can tell,maybe the Eu won’t exist in its current form in 5 years time.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-12-28 4:10 PM

or 90% of the world's economists? Tricky! :-D

90% of the world's economists????? 8-) ..........

You just cant help yourself can you Brian (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

jumpstart - 2019-12-28 5:32 PM

Knock knock...don’t tar everyone with the same brush. Whereas I think there are a lot of people out there who either didn’t know much about the EU or what they were voting for , a lot did. I gave it carefull consideration and I’ve stated my views before, that there was much wrong (and still is) with the running of the EU. They are surprisingly changing their attitude because we are leaving. Too long went on between the vote and now so if a vote was to be held now I would seriously reconsider how I voted before. Short term financial pain is inevitable but what the future holds who can tell,maybe the Eu won’t exist in its current form in 5 years time.

That is a fair point. I was replying in kind to one of our contributors who is notoriously prone to putting people into boxes and, once in, tarring them all with the same brush. All I would add is that my take on the financial pain is that it is very likely to endure well outside the short term.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-12-28 6:48 PM

All I would add is that my take on the pain is that it is very likely to endure well outside the short term.

Correct ;-) .........I intend to Gloat for the next 3 years :D ..........

Brian Kirby - 2019-12-28 4:45 PM

2 "None of them even knew what the EU was until the referendum" ... Proof ??? ...

3 You see thats you summed up perfectly over the last few years , sneering down at folk in your patronising holier than thou way und you wonder why your 3 years campaigning with your "thousands" of Labour friends ended in disaster ……………...

1 Do you really need proof of that self-evident fact? Look at all the references to "winners" and "losers", just as after some sporting fixture. No attempt to discuss the pros' and cons' of remain or leave: just win and lose. So, for those people it was never about whether leave was a good idea, it became just about the winning. It is sad, because it seems the cry of those for whom this was the only important thing in their lives that they had "won". But think: how happy will they be when they discover that in fact they, just as everyone else, have actually lost?

2 One of the most Googled words or phrases after the referendum was "what is the EU". See here: https://tinyurl.com/vvyb7l8 Hardly evidence that people knew beforehand, is it? Otherwise, why did so many ask?

3 Leaving aside the personal attack, who was "sneering down in a patronising, holier than thou, way"? What people commented on was what they saw and heard. The levels of ignorance that have been displayed have been astounding. If folk want to appear knowledgeable, they only need to quietly seek out the knowledge they want. Far smarter than spouting ignorant clap-trap - and then complaining when it provokes a "forthright" correction. I didn't like the tone of some of the replies people got (still don't) but I can understood why they got them. Those who don't "suffer fools gladly" are ever present, so why would any but fools provoke them?

1 .... Guff

2 .... Your presuming those doing the search were leave voters , how exactly do you know ???

3 .... Guff

4 .... Night night princess

pelmetman - 2019-12-28 6:52 PM

All I would add is that my take on the pain is that it is very likely to endure well outside the short term.

Dave, three years is the short term. I have in mind something much closed to three decades.

Birdbrain - 2019-12-28 11:08 PM

1 .... Guff

2 .... Your presuming those doing the search were leave voters , how exactly do you know ???

3 .... Guff

1 So, no opinion. If you have nothing to say, it is best to say nothing.

2 I presume, nor assume, nothing. But let's just say at least 52% were likely to be Brexiters, because the remainers were more likely to know what they were in favour of.

3 See 1 above.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-12-29 6:31 PM

pelmetman - 2019-12-28 6:52 PM

Dave, three years is the short term. I have in mind something much closed to three decades.

Well come back in 3 decades time and say I told you so ;-) ...........

The first one here wins :D .......

Brian Kirby - 2019-12-29 6:37 PM

1 .... Guff

3 .... Guff

2 I presume, nor assume, nothing. But let's just say at least 52% were likely to be Brexiters, because the remainers were more likely to know what they were in favour of.

3 See 1 above.

1 ... I gave you my opinion , t'was guff

2 ... Why were the remainers more likely to know what they were in favour of princess ???

3 ... See 1 above sweet cheeks

Birdbrain - 2019-12-29 6:48 PM

1 .... Guff

3 .... Guff

3 See 1 above.

2 ... Why were the remainers more likely to know what they were in favour of princess ???

1 Guff is not an opinion, it is a word. For an opinion it is necessary to say what, actually, you disagree with, and why.

2 Because they were demonstrably better informed on the EU, the working of its institutions, and its governance, than Brexiters - which is why they chose remain as their option. Even on this forum, were you ever to read what those with whom you disagree write, instead of writing it off a "guff", that would be clear. Ask most remainers why they voted to remain, and they can give a reasoned reply as to why they judge remain as the best course overall for the UK: ask a Brexiter why they voted leave, and if you're lucky you get ill-informed and inaccurate statements about free movement, EU armies, the cost benefits, interference in our laws, and future trade agreements with countries with which the EU (and so the UK) mostly has, or is already negotiating, trade agreements. If you're unlucky (mostly), you just get variations on "because I wanted to"!

3 See 1 above.

Brian Kirby - 2019-12-30 1:18 PM

1 .... Guff

3 .... Guff

3 See 1 above.

1 Guff is not an opinion, it is a word. For an opinion it is necessary to say what, actually, you disagree with, and why.

2 Because they were demonstrably better informed on the EU, the working of its institutions, and its governance, than Brexiters - which is why they chose remain as their option. Even on this forum, were you ever to read what those with whom you disagree write, instead of writing it off a "guff", that would be clear. Ask most remainers why they voted to remain, and they can give a reasoned reply as to why they judge remain as the best course overall for the UK: ask a Brexiter why they voted leave, and if you're lucky you get ill-informed and inaccurate statements about free movement, EU armies, the cost benefits, interference in our laws, and future trade agreements with countries with which the EU (and so the UK) mostly has, or is already negotiating, trade agreements. If you're unlucky (mostly), you just get variations on "because I wanted to"!

3 See 1 above.

Good luck with that....it seems comprehensible discussion has flown out the window and "replies" have descended to their lowest level consisting of singular word bubbles more commonly associated with the Beano.

Perhaps the oddest reason i read on forums by a few Brexit voters was "i voted Leave as a protest". :-S

Brian Kirby - 2019-12-30 1:18 PM

1 .... Guff

3 .... Guff

3 See 1 above.

3 See 1 above.

Well done ... You got 3-in-a-row ... 3 Guffs that is ... Number 2 guff especially patronising

Hardly anyone cared about the EU before Cameron announced the referendum. Only 6% on average of the public had EU membership as one of the major issues they had concerns about so its hardly surprising not many people knew what it was. Following years of slowly drip fed nonsense though from the media and the government it was easy to then ramp up the campaign to leave once the referendum was announced and suddenly it was the number one issue we faced.

Doesn't make any difference now of course but what would life have been like if we had just done nothing? Who would have cared? Not many people. Would the nation be divided with families, workmates and friends hating each other and probably not speaking for decades? Would we have a serial liar as PM and would we have lost the moderates and voices of reason from the conservative party? No of course not. Austerity would have been over and life would have improved for many. Now all we have is uncertainty on the back of what is IMO a massive gamble that nobody really wanted to take or even cared about in the first place.

1818511260_brexit-chart_-what-the-uk-public-cares-about-the-most-data(Custom).jpg.8928257f52c2728d220bcc067b6a5d18.jpg

John52 - 2019-12-30 5:24 PM

pelmetman - 2019-12-28 2:44 PM

So what was the purpose of Benn's act of Parliament?

Brian Kirby - 2019-12-28 3:54 PM

Well as you chose it, I assume you read it,

I could almost detect a slight hint of sarcasm there Brian :D

Guilty as charged, m'Lud! Nasty habit! :-D

Barryd999 - 2019-12-30 4:53 PM

Hardly anyone cared about the EU before Cameron announced the referendum. Only 6% on average of the public had EU membership as one of the major issues they had concerns about so its hardly surprising not many people knew what it was. Following years of slowly drip fed nonsense though from the media and the government it was easy to then ramp up the campaign to leave once the referendum was announced and suddenly it was the number one issue we faced.

Doesn't make any difference now of course but what would life have been like if we had just done nothing? Who would have cared? Not many people. Would the nation be divided with families, workmates and friends hating each other and probably not speaking for decades? Would we have a serial liar as PM and would we have lost the moderates and voices of reason from the conservative party? No of course not. Austerity would have been over and life would have improved for many. Now all we have is uncertainty on the back of what is IMO a massive gamble that nobody really wanted to take or even cared about in the first place.

Bit too much generalisation, it’s not the result that’s at fault but the process. If more thought had gone in to explaining the problems likely to be faced then maybe there could have been a different result. I never thought for a moment it would be a leave result, but neither did anyone in Government. The uncertainty is the result of 3 years of resistance to implement the result.

But the Tories have been Euro-sceptic for decades so therefore it goes without saying many Tory voters the same ... Your doing your belittling act again that you and Brian resort to , maybe EU membership wasn't top of the list of concerns for many folk and still wouldnt have been had the referendum result been acted on as promised by our politicians but of course you and many of our politicians decided you didn't like the result and spent the last 3 years bitching away and bending the rules ... Look in the mirror sweet cheeks for the division in society

Birdbrain - 2019-12-30 4:27 PM...………………..Well done ... You got 3-in-a-row ... 3 Guffs that is ... Number 2 guff especially patronising

We can only judge from what we see and hear. That is the basis on which I reply to your "tweets". Replying is made more difficult by your apparent inability to state you case - i.e. "guff". I have to assume that is because you don't have one. What else?

Patronising? It is, as above, based on what I see and hear from remainers and Brexiters. If anything patronises, it is the difference between those two groups. I didn't make either, I didn't wish to choose between them. If you feel patronised by that difference, don't blame me. You chose your group, and you got the company you voted for.

Birdbrain - 2019-12-30 6:05 PM

But the Tories have been Euro-sceptic for decades so therefore it goes without saying many Tory voters the same ... Your doing your belittling act again that you and Brian resort to , maybe EU membership wasn't top of the list of concerns for many folk and still wouldnt have been had the referendum result been acted on as promised by our politicians but of course you and many of our politicians decided you didn't like the result and spent the last 3 years bitching away and bending the rules ... Look in the mirror sweet cheeks for the division in society

Guff!

Brian Kirby - 2019-12-30 6:11 PM

Birdbrain - 2019-12-30 4:27 PM...………………..Well done ... You got 3-in-a-row ... 3 Guffs that is ... Number 2 guff especially patronising

We can only judge from what we see and hear. That is the basis on which I reply to your "tweets". Replying is made more difficult by your apparent inability to state you case - i.e. "guff". I have to assume that is because you don't have one. What else?

Patronising? It is, as above, based on what I see and hear from remainers and Brexiters. If anything patronises, it is the difference between those two groups. I didn't make either, I didn't wish to choose between them. If you feel patronised by that difference, don't blame me. You chose your group, and you got the company you voted for.

I cant believe my opinion is of such value to you ya , me being in your view an extremist n'all that kinda stuff ... My guff reply I believe couldn't be any clearer surely ... As for your patronising style describing anything Brexiteer it speaks volumes for ya and many others like ya and maybe thats why after 3 years of patronising and belittling you got your arse (your word) kicked yet again this December ... Rejoice sweet cheeks

Birdbrain - 2019-12-30 6:05 PM

I am not belittling anyone, just stating the facts. The Tories have not all been Euro sceptic. Thatcher who you love dearly pretty much created the single market, Johnson is on record several times saying how wonderful it is. It was never about not liking the result it was all about having a say in the outcome as many of us suspected what they would get as a deal would look nothing like it was sold in 2016. Much of the three years of course was taken up with the Tories running around like headless chickens trying to come up with a deal which turned out in the end as we suspected to be total s**te. All Johnson had to do was go back on a promise to NI and put his name on the same deal. Its still total s**te which is why we wanted a vote on it and why so many politicians kept voting against it.

Still it doesnt matter now. Johnson and the Brexiteers now have a free reign, carte blanche to do as they please. At least that way the onus is totally on the Tories and the Brexiteers now. They will try and blame the EU of course when it turns out to be totally cack but the EU are far to clever to let them get away with that.

Archived