No more dither or delay.........

Guest pelmetman

Brian Kirby - 2019-12-21 6:35 PM

747 - 2019-12-21 4:30 PM

John52 - 2019-12-21 7:18 AM

I'm dithering and delaying going abroad because I don't know whats going to happen after Jan 31st

But at least I have a choice

What must it be like for the British Industries still here that depend on just-in-time deliveries from and exports to the EU 8-)

If you knew anything at all about the subject, you would know that 'just in time' arrangements are with companies located close to the recipient and very few are long distance or across Borders.

Then you'd need to explain why approximately 1,000 trucks daily cross the channel taking car parts to various UK car factories. What you say me be the ideal, or true in some sectors, but it certainly isn't true for car production, as has been continually highlighted since the referendum by UK based manufacturers such as Honda, JLR, Toyota, Mini, Nissan etc.

Ford GmbH source their parts from a multitude of countries in Europe (3m 15sec on this clip). Of course it helps that they all have fta's with EU and used to flow in and out of UK tariff free also.

https://www.channel4.com/news/hard-brexit-threat-to-british-motor-industry

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-12-21 8:35 PM

I'm dithering and delaying going abroad because I don't know whats going to happen after Jan 31st

What must it be like for the British Industries still here that depend on just-in-time deliveries from and exports to the EU 8-)

If you knew anything at all about the subject, you would know that 'just in time' arrangements are with companies located close to the recipient and very few are long distance or across Borders.

Then you'd need to explain why approximately 1,000 trucks daily cross the channel taking car parts to various UK car factories. What you say me be the ideal, or true in some sectors, but it certainly isn't true for car production, as has been continually highlighted since the referendum by UK based manufacturers such as Honda, JLR, Toyota, Mini, Nissan etc.

Ford GmbH source their parts from a multitude of countries in Europe (3m 15sec on this clip). Of course it helps that they all have fta's with EU and used to flow in and out of UK tariff free also.

Like Ford give's a sh*t where their cheap parts come from *-) .........

Perhaps you could explain why we paid for them to close their Transit factory in Southampton and send it to Turkey? >:-)........

pelmetman - 2019-12-21 8:56 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-12-21 8:35 PM

Like Ford give's a sh*t where their cheap parts come from *-) .........

Of course they do......seamless JIT and FTA is key to that kind of production, As for "cheap", the Fiesta being their smallest car and the basic model starting at almost £16k is hardly what i'd call cheap. Used models also command a pretty hefty resale price too.

Perhaps you could explain why we paid for them to close their Transit factory in Southampton and send it to Turkey? >:-) .............

Turkey has a CU agreement with EU.....which we won't. They're also in process of negotiating fta's with the EU.

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/explainers/eu-turkey-customs-union/

'Just in time' is a system whereby the client orders parts at very short notice. These can be things like different seat coverings, specific dashboard configuratios for specific variants. Many parts are standard or have one or two minor variants. I would say that the trucked parts go to a local central depot for onward shipment. So, strictly speaking, these are not 'just in time' parts even though the lead time will be short.

In case you think I am making this up, I am qualified in Advanced Manufacturing Technology based largely on the Japanese model of production. Right through from CAD/CAM manufacture to Kanban production methods. Some car parts are made on site and just in time is a convenient way of keeping minimum stock on site. The onus is on suppliers to supply what's needed when it's needed. If they don't, they face financial penalties.

747 - 2019-12-21 10:14 PM

'Just in time' is a system whereby the client orders parts at very short notice. These can be things like different seat coverings, specific dashboard configuratios for specific variants. Many parts are standard or have one or two minor variants. I would say that the trucked parts go to a local central depot for onward shipment. So, strictly speaking, these are not 'just in time' parts even though the lead time will be short.

In case you think I am making this up, I am qualified in Advanced Manufacturing Technology based largely on the Japanese model of production. Right through from CAD/CAM manufacture to Kanban production methods. Some car parts are made on site and just in time is a convenient way of keeping minimum stock on site. The onus is on suppliers to supply what's needed when it's needed. If they don't, they face financial penalties.

You should explain this to the boss of Jaguar, because he says they could only keep going for about 4 hours if deliveries from the EU were delayed.

Unlike you I'm not setting myself up as knowing more about car manufacture than him.

But some things are obvious.

Can't you understand that having the majority of parts doesn't quite cut it. Being short of just one can stop the production line.

And we will welcome them with open arms in Scotland when we get independence from Westminster and rejoin the EU. Unless BoJo keeps increasing the amount of Your money he sends us to stop us voting for independence from him.

The onus is on suppliers to supply what's needed when it's needed. If they don't, they face financial penalties.

..and they are going to agree to that when any one of thousands of foreign customs officials can delay the shipment indefinitely on a whim *-)

... and these foreign car manufacturers are going to ignore all the incentives to relocate, pay all the tariffs and stay in England with 'F*ck Business' BoJo and no parts *-)

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2019-12-22 7:57 AM

The onus is on suppliers to supply what's needed when it's needed. If they don't, they face financial penalties.

..and they are going to agree to that when any one of thousands of foreign customs officials can delay the shipment indefinitely on a whim *-)

... and these foreign car manufacturers are going to ignore all the incentives to relocate, pay all the tariffs and stay in England with 'F*ck Business' BoJo and no parts *-)

Or alternatively they could order their just in time parts earlier and keep them in a shed :D .........

pelmetman - 2019-12-22 8:03 AM

Or alternatively they could order their just in time parts earlier and keep them in a shed :D .........

You Brexiteers never learned anything in nearly four years did you?

Remember Honda? They reckoned that without the customs union some parts could be delayed for up to 9 days. A warehouse capable of holding nine days’ worth of Honda stock would be roughly 300,000 sq m and one of the largest buildings on earth. Its floor space would be equivalent to 42 football pitches, almost three times the size of Amazon’s main US distribution centre. And its cost to operate would be as eye-watering as its proportions. 

Then again according to even the Tories own tame Brexiteer economists Automotive and whats left of manufacturing will be finished post Brexit and is acceptable collateral damage to get er, hmm, err, "Brexit Done", No! Blue passports. Sorry I forget. Why are we doing this again?

Or follow the Ford performance model of TFL.

Too Fecking late

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-12-22 11:45 AM

Remember Honda? They reckoned that without the customs union some parts could be delayed for up to 9 days. A warehouse capable of holding nine days’ worth of Honda stock would be roughly 300,000 sq m and one of the largest buildings on earth. Its floor space would be equivalent to 42 football pitches, almost three times the size of Amazon’s main US distribution centre. And its cost to operate would be as eye-watering as its proportions. 

Yep we learned not to believe your Remoaner bollox's *-) .............

As anyone with a ounce of sense would know that Japanese car makers would clear off as soon as the ink was dry on their EU FTA ;-) ...........

pelmetman - 2019-12-23 7:38 AM

Barryd999 - 2019-12-22 11:45 AM

Yep we learned not to believe your Remoaner bollox's *-) .............

As anyone with a ounce of sense would know that Japanese car makers would clear off as soon as the ink was dry on their EU FTA ;-) ...........

Bollox. Why would they when they have existing plants with direct access into the European Market? Even your own Brexiteer experts (Oxymoron alert) Reckon Automotive and Manufacturing is finished. Where do all those new working class tories work I wonder?

Then I bow to your superior knowledge. Perhaps it is a case of the motor manufacturers using the terminology casually (maybe they should refer instead to "lean production"), but it is widely used in the press and broadcast media, as well as by the manufacturers themselves (I understand the concept was invented by Henry Ford), in connection with car parts being delivered from across Europe to assembly plants here in UK. In Toyota UK's case they refer to Just in Time, Kanban, and 10 other production methodologies that they use.

Whatever, even if John's point is technically incorrect, it is not invalidated by that terminological error. The point he is making is that many thousands of parts have to move seamlessly around Europe, and across the Channel, for car assembly plants to function efficiently in UK. If that flow of parts is made less efficient by Brexit, production costs will rise and, if that cost increase cannot be negated by other means, the car assembly plants, and their jobs, will leave the UK. Not all at once, in some grand post-Brexit exodus, but as each new model is developed and the economics of its production are reviewed, the new assembly plants will be located elsewhere on the mainland, in whichever country offers the highest profitability. Eventually, with those production losses, the design functions will follow.

That is how I understand John's point. So why not respond to that broad point, rather than to the narrow point of terminological accuracy?

You didn't even read 747's description of the system, did you? Your shed must be an air-conditioned warehouse, because the parts must be in prime condition when assembled. That warehouse needs someone to maintain an inventory of what it in it, it needs staffing to rack and distribute the parts to the assembly line, it must be heated, it has to be built on land that has to be acquired, it has to pay rates, it must be insured, and it must be maintained. Those on-costs are exactly what JIT was developed to eliminate. Your response is to junk JIT, and lose the efficiencies it brings. So, how then do UK based assembly plants compete economically with those on the mainland, where distributing both the parts and the finished vehicles doesn't even have to bear the cost of crossing the Channel? Come on, little grey cells!

Brian Kirby - 2019-12-23 5:57 PM

You didn't even read 747's description of the system, did you? Your shed must be an air-conditioned warehouse, because the parts must be in prime condition when assembled. That warehouse needs someone to maintain an inventory of what it in it, it needs staffing to rack and distribute the parts to the assembly line, it must be heated, it has to be built on land that has to be acquired, it has to pay rates, it must be insured, and it must be maintained. Those on-costs are exactly what JIT was developed to eliminate. Your response is to junk JIT, and lose the efficiencies it brings. So, how then do UK based assembly plants compete economically with those on the mainland, where distributing both the parts and the finished vehicles doesn't even have to bear the cost of crossing the Channel? Come on, little grey cells!

Seem to manage with the rest of the world ... Just saying

Birdbrain - 2019-12-23 6:05 PM

Seem to manage with the rest of the world ... Just saying

Who or what, seem to manage with the rest of the world?

Brian, not every component can be classed as JIT. Nissan has a very large Stores, I know because I have worked in there (on Contract). I have also been in a number of the factories that grew up in close proximity to the Nissan Plant. For a few years I used to Service, maintain and overhaul Power Presses. All these companies held stock in reserve (to cover breakdowns etc.). The only one I know that could not was a company who provided the seats for vehicles. They kept a stock of seat frames but the colour and pattern of seats was truly a last minute order on a daily basis. I the Nissan build plan could change at very short notice in fact (hourly in extreme conditions).

JIT benefits the manufacturer at the expense of suppliers. It has been known for a supplier to charter an aircraft or helicopter in emergencies. Long distance Taxi or Van deliveries are the usual panic measure though for long distance suppliers.

Guest pelmetman

So what do they do when storms stop the ferries or the Frog fishermen block the ports or there's the wrong kinda snow in the Chunnel? *-) .........

P1010899.JPG.6c7f297e5e30384bd6c7ba2e559756da.JPG

Guest pelmetman
747 - 2019-12-23 7:49 PM

JIT benefits the manufacturer at the expense of suppliers. It has been known for a supplier to charter an aircraft or helicopter in emergencies. Long distance Taxi or Van deliveries are the usual panic measure though for long distance suppliers.

So no need for Barry's shed that can be seen from space? (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

Brian, not every component can be classed as JIT. .

Nobody said it did.

But at the risk of stating the obvious (again) shortage of just one component can stop the production line.

None of these problems would be insurmountable if time and money were no object.

But car manufacturers have surplus capacity and are looking for plants to close.

Do I really have to spell it out any further *-)

pelmetman - 2019-12-23 8:27 PM

So what do they do when storms stop the ferries or the Frog fishermen block the ports or there's the wrong kinda snow in the Chunnel? *-) .........

Obviously the English channel already puts Britain at a disadvantage.

Brexit makes it far worse.

And car manufacturers are looking for plants to close, whilst being offered incentives to move to the EU

John52 - 2019-12-23 9:53 PM

Nobody said it did.

But at the risk of stating the obvious (again) shortage of just one component can stop the production line.

None of these problems would be insurmountable if time and money were no object.

But car manufacturers have surplus capacity and are looking for plants to close.

Aah I see. Someone without an ounce of experience in manufacturing, engineering and industry is the expert now. :D

747 - 2019-12-23 10:26 PM

John52 - 2019-12-23 9:53 PM

Nobody said it did.

Aah I see. Someone without an ounce of experience in manufacturing, engineering and industry is the expert now. :D

Oh Dear. So I do have to spell it out even further.

Actually I have experience but thats beside the point because there is such a thing as common sense.

That tells us you can't assemble a car if you haven't got ALL the parts.

Archived