Coronavirus for the Elderly Motorhomer

StuartO

laimeduck - 2020-03-18 11:10 PM

Robinhood - 2020-03-18 10:36 PM

malc d - 2020-03-18 9:20 PM

… even worse was Izal toilet paper - 'hard' paper and shiny on one side !

;-)

I've posted this on here before, but in the interests of lightening the debate a bit, here it is again:

Just to add that Izal was used extensively as tracing paper, and was an absolutely vital constituent to make music!

What I hear you say?

A sheet of Izal wrapped around a comb, which every young lad had in his back pocket, made the perfect kazoo. Used in many a skiffle band I remember!

As well as using it for tracing paper, I have vivid memories of trying to make paper aeroplanes out of it while sitting on the toilet. You can't do that with the modern stuff - progress eh?

When the modern stuff first came out, it was so thin that your finger broke through it with quite an unpleasant result. (apologies to anyone eating while reading this)

Maybe they should start producing this again - it would sell like hot cakes at the moment.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to all responding to my 'Red Carbolic Soap' comment - and to all who bought IZAL 'grease proof toilet paper' into the results - something my wife insisted I must not include in my forum "as not to upset anyone by discussing toilet paper & its ineffective achievements". The mention of 'comb powered Kazoo's' brought back a smile, followed by a shudder whilst remembering the horrid taste if you put 'the wrong side' of the Izal paper to your lips !!! Oh the joys of our simple lives back then eh ? Your replies help cheered us up somewhat following the painful acceptance of no springtime in France this year...

Dave A

You guys break me up with your memories from the past. My worst toilet paper memories relate to having to use newspaper as a substitute. I noticed that the local paper in Darwin NT printed an extra 8 pages in one addition last week to be used as toilet paper. The only printing on the pages I understand were instructions for use! cheers,

ps I tried to list the link however I am yet to workout the method for achieving this on my Apple Mac desktop.

https://www.ntnews.com.au/news/national/nt-news-brings-out-bizzarre-limitededition-toilet-paper-liftout/video/c816053296b3f9061899de84c04d044b

https://tinyurl.com/soamy45

Interesting that we all remember our Izal days fondly, but I suspect that if coronavirus had appeared in the 1950s we would have, as a community, suffered a much more unpleasant experience engaging in self-isolation, or as I understand we should now refer to it, social distancing. We lived in a terraced house with no inside toilet although we did have a bathroom. And grandparents lived a few house along the row. Our only heating was the living room fire and mum did the washing in a tub with only a wringer to squeeze them out before snatching the opportunity to hang it out to dry in the back yard or drap it on a clothes rack in front of the fire. Our school shirt lasted all week and we changed our underwear only once or twice per week too.

So I count my blessings that in self-isolation I have the internet, free WhatsApp telephone calls, a freezer and a fridge full of food , a bread maker if needed and if we want chips we can use our low fat air fryer instead of the chip pan which caused so many fires. And we have a complex society which will hopefully continue to feed us and even take us into hospital if that becomes necessary, although that might not be possible unless we all moderate our food buying appetites. It's bad but it could be an awful lot worse.

Geeco - 2020-03-20 6:50 AM

You guys break me up with your memories from the past. My worst toilet paper memories relate to having to use newspaper as a substitute. I noticed that the local paper in Darwin NT printed an extra 8 pages in one addition last week to be used as toilet paper. The only printing on the pages I understand were instructions for use! cheers,

ps I tried to list the link however I am yet to workout the method for achieving this on my Apple Mac desktop.

Gary, We are down to our last roll and that link would be great to have. Better still, if they have a pdf file, I can use it to print some myself on my laser printer.

Gary (Geeco)

Just drag the relevant URL (link) from the website you want to refer to and drop the URL into your posting.

Or you could ‘copy and paste’ the URL into your posting instead if you so chose.

Either method should be very easy with an iMac.

(I’ve edited your 20 March 2020 6:50 AM posting to include the NT News link, plus a TinyURL ‘shortened' link to other references.)

We're on Day Four of our voluntary self -isolation and we haven't felt stir crazy so far - mind you we have been walking our two dogs each day, quietly and away from other people. Our plans to order on line from Sainsburys fell apart at the first opportunity because I forgot to check out in time so we lost our delivery slot and there haven't been any available at all since then.

But we're not starving, far from it in fact and some of our local shops are offering deliveries so we're using those. Morrisons have delivery slots in a couple of weeks time so the technique (as my daughter explained) is to book a slot early and then edit the trolly contents as you remember what you need, as the delivery deadline approaches. Sainsburys have announced that they will be offering some sort of priority for elderly self-isolators from Monday next so we'll see how that shapes up too.

So far so good, only another 12+ weeks to go!

I didn't find the idea of the Wrinklies Hour shopping in Sainsburys at all attractive and reports are that the stewarding did not succeed in excluding younger people, some of whom were pushy towards the wrinklies. Let's hope they make the delivery priority for older people which they are supposed to be offering from Momday more successful.

Sadly without something like police enforcement I doubt that in our modern society, more conspicuously selfish and pushy than at the time of WW2, it will be practical to reserve shopping hours for special groups. I was challenged by a young woman in a supermarket car park a week or two ago who thought I might be about to make contact with her car as I opened my door; I pointed out that she hadn't parked well and she said "that's not my problem" as if her expectation was that I should feel obliged to dance to her tune. I didn't take issue but the incident did make me sad for the way people are often horrid to each other these days.

It would work well if everyone chose a single store and were registered with that store to be logged in and out, that way deliveries and therefore the customer could be regulated easily regarding their purchases.

The way it is means that anyone can go round and round all the stores all day long with never a check.

So much for cheap food at multiple stores, when it gets serious it fails !

StuartO - 2020-03-20 12:57 PM

We're on Day Four of our voluntary self -isolation and we haven't felt stir crazy so far - mind you we have been walking our two dogs each day, quietly and away from other people. Our plans to order on line from Sainsburys fell apart at the first opportunity because I forgot to check out in time so we lost our delivery slot and there haven't been any available at all since then.

But we're not starving, far from it in fact and some of our local shops are offering deliveries so we're using those. Morrisons have delivery slots in a couple of weeks time so the technique (as my daughter explained) is to book a slot early and then edit the trolly contents as you remember what you need, as the delivery deadline approaches. Sainsburys have announced that they will be offering some sort of priority for elderly self-isolators from Monday next so we'll see how that shapes up too.

Stuart....the bolded bit is what i previously tried to explain to a few fm's who say they can't get any slots. Your daughter is absolutely right about the method she's using. I've currently got three deliveries pending via Morrisons and can add or take items off to any before midnight of the preceding delivery date.

Getting delivery slots will naturally vary throughout the country but in short the bottom line is you have got to book ahead and make more than a single order.

Bulletguy - 2020-03-20 3:54 PM

StuartO - 2020-03-20 12:57 PM

Stuart....the bolded bit is what i previously tried to explain to a few fm's who say they can't get any slots. Your daughter is absolutely right about the method she's using. I've currently got three deliveries pending via Morrisons and can add or take items off to any before midnight of the preceding delivery date.

Getting delivery slots will naturally vary throughout the country but in short the bottom line is you have got to book ahead and make more than a single order.

Three delivery’s on the go sounds like panic buying to me.

No slots available in the next three weeks from Tesco and you can’t book ahead of that.

Waitrose ,when the site isn’t crashed, no slots available in next three weeks.

Just popped in to Morrisons, no queues, store no more packed than a normal day, some items not available,but we only went in for milk.

Will86 - 2020-03-20 4:16 PM

And all that does is stop others from booking a slot, its just as greedy as those who buy too much and does nothing to ease the situation.

In fact it appears that you don't need any of them !

No it doesn't Will it's simply using common sense to plan ahead which everyone else has the same opportunity to do including full time workers. Anyone with internet access. There is nothing "greedy" about that and i buy only what i need and nothing more.

StuartO - 2020-03-20 1:52 PM

I didn't find the idea of the Wrinklies Hour shopping in Sainsburys at all attractive and reports are that the stewarding did not succeed in excluding younger people, some of whom were pushy towards the wrinklies. Let's hope they make the delivery priority for older people which they are supposed to be offering from Momday more successful.

Sadly without something like police enforcement I doubt that in our modern society, more conspicuously selfish and pushy than at the time of WW2, it will be practical to reserve shopping hours for special groups. I was challenged by a young woman in a supermarket car park a week or two ago who thought I might be about to make contact with her car as I opened my door; I pointed out that she hadn't parked well and she said "that's not my problem" as if her expectation was that I should feel obliged to dance to her tune. I didn't take issue but the incident did make me sad for the way people are often horrid to each other these days.

There was only one space left in the supermarket because someone had parked encroaching in to it. When I backed centrally into the spare space it only left a couple of inches between their drivers door (having a plain white van I'm not bothered about the odd ding in the side) but about 4 feet space from their passenger door. A message come over the tannoy asking me to return to the van but I didn't hear it ;-) When i had finished my shopping and got out the car had gone so they must have got in through their passenger door. But wanted me to come out and move the van before I had finished my shopping to save them the inconvenience of getting in their passenger door. When they had created the problem in the first place.

Thank you Derek for your efforts on my behalf. I have tried the copy & paste method with no success so far. I have had this Mac for a year now and find it some much easier than the Windows PC on the workstation next to it. Just a few more utube clips and I will have it nailed. While I type this Mrs C is interrogating her iPad re Izal and is in fits of laughter at the report on it's rough surface texture. A bi product of the coke ovens very interesting. cheers,

I normally use the Safari browser and GOOGLE as my search engine.

The way I’d do what (I think) you want to do is

a) have a new forum posting ‘window’ ready to accept input.

b) open a new GOOGLE webpage (cmd-n on keyboord) and position it alongside the O&AL forum webpage

c) search for whatever you are looking for (eg. NT news toilet paper)

d) this will retrieve various entries, so select the one you want

e) when the selected webpage appears, position your mouse-pointer on that webpage’s URL in the ‘bar’ at the top of the webpage, hold down the mouse’s primary button and ‘drag’ the URL across into the O&AL posting window.

Dragging and dropping on a Mac is described here

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh35852/mac

Archived