SORN

armstrongpiper

aandy - 2020-03-29 11:30 AM

I was surprised to find DVLA still issuing cheques, as I had assumed they would have kept up with the times and issued refunds by bank transfer. It doesn't really matter how long the refund cheque takes, as it will be some time before any of us can go to the bank to pay it in.

My wife sold her car at the start of March and automatically received a cheque from DVLA three days later. I then paid it into our bank account using the Banks app and camera on my phone and it was credited to our account the next working day. So from selling the car we had the money in our account within seven days. Obviously things may be slightly slower now but I would still hope a lot quicker then the six weeks they say as a max.

Keith.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keithl - 2020-03-29 11:38 AM

I was surprised to find DVLA still issuing cheques, as I had assumed they would have kept up with the times and issued refunds by bank transfer. It doesn't really matter how long the refund cheque takes, as it will be some time before any of us can go to the bank to pay it in.

My wife sold her car at the start of March and automatically received a cheque from DVLA three days later. I then paid it into our bank account using the Banks app and camera on my phone and it was credited to our account the next working day. So from selling the car we had the money in our account within seven days. Obviously things may be slightly slower now but I would still hope a lot quicker then the six weeks they say as a max.

Keith.

Unfortunately I bank with Santander and they don't have that facility yet (they do in the USA). So if I cannot get to an branch machine to deposit the cheque, I have to send it by post or hand it over at a Post Office counter in a special mailing envelope - which I don't yet have 8-)

Maybe by the time I receive the cheque I'll also have the cheque deposit envelopes.

The 11 month refund will be worth the wait!

Fortunately we live in a hamlet but do have a post box within half a mile and I have stamps :-D

SORNed my M/H yesterday and now realise I should have checked the tyres were pumped up correctly (TPMS shows rears need topping up) so want to drive to local garage (1/2 mile) to check before locking iot away for who knows how long.

Can I legally do that?

I know the refund is for full months only, so is my SORN from yesterday or 31 March

ColinM50 - 2020-03-29 12:45 PM

SORNed my M/H yesterday and now realise I should have checked the tyres were pumped up correctly (TPMS shows rears need topping up) so want to drive to local garage (1/2 mile) to check before locking iot away for who knows how long.

Can I legally do that?

Check DVLA for tax status and if yes then you're OK, if no then you cannot.

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

My van is 3850kg so the rate of duty is £165 (approx). That is about £14 per month.

I decided not to sorn as I consider this to be a time when we all need to pull together.

I regard it as a monthly contribution to the increased costs of the NHS.

I suppose I am lucky in some respects to be on a company and a state pension.

Davy

Are you sure the problem is not due to something simple, like you are typing blanks into the reference number on your motorhome’s V5C?

Although the 11-digit reference number on the V5C does have two blank separators

- for example 2459 875 4899

the number must be entered as shown below without the blanks

I think the DVLA’s SORN system will object and issue an error message if you put blanks in the V5C number, but it’s something to beware of perhaps.

Where the vehicle registration number is concerned, I think entering blanks won’t matter.

In his posting of 28 March 2020 11:02 PM on Page 1 of this thread stevec176 said

"I did mine over the phone, 0300 123 4321, it's an automated system, quick and easy."

so you won’t be talking to a human if you ring them.

(You might want to check, too, what your telephone provider would charge for ringing an 0300 number.)

Well as I suspected despite SORNing on the last day of the month my previous unfortunate renewal of VED overrode the SORN and the motorhome has been re-taxed for the year!

I have tried to contact DVLA but to no avail the recorded message saying they were overloaded and giving an alternative number that comes up as unrecognised.

Lesson learned never re tax until the last possible moment in future!!

Basil

It takes upto 5 days to up date the system if you're checking on line so shouldn't try contacting yet. I did mine on the 27th and it still shows my van as being taxed. I tried to SORN the van again snd it told me I'd already done the SORN so give it time.

I'm with Santander and post the cheque to their office in Harlow. I expect other banks have a similar service.

Been SORNing for years, and only pay for 3 or 4 months of the year. We only take two longish holidays per year.

They used to charge a fee which made SORNing less economical, but it's free now.

stevec176 - 2020-04-01 9:46 PM

It takes upto 5 days to up date the system if you're checking on line so shouldn't try contacting yet. I did mine on the 27th and it still shows my van as being taxed. I tried to SORN the van again snd it told me I'd already done the SORN so give it time.

Same for me...

I SORNed my Rapido motorhome on 29 March 2020 and received the following confirmatory email from the DVLA

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL - PLEASE DO NOT REPLY AS EMAILS

RECEIVED AT THIS ADDRESS CANNOT BE RESPONDED TO.

Confirmation of Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)

Thank you for using DVLA Vehicle Licensing Online.

Your SORN has been successful.

The SORN will be valid until you tax, sell, permanently export or scrap the vehicle.

Any refund of vehicle tax due will be automatically issued to the name and address on our records. If you pay by Direct Debit your Direct Debit will be cancelled.

Vehicle Registration Number: XXXX XXX

Reference Number: XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX

Application Made On: 29/03/2020 21:18:24

You may wish to save or print this email confirmation for your records.

There are comments on other forums about SORN/VED-related ‘data checking’ delays (as Steve has advised) including that it can take 5 days for a newly taxed vehicle to show up on-line. It is also warned that, after SORNing a vehicle, it cannot be taxed on-line for 5 days.

A 2018 comment said

The DVLA keep two systems internal and external. The internal system updates immediately, the external 'public facing' system can take up to 5 days to update.

Matrix Meanderer - 2020-03-28 10:18 PM

Successfully went through the quick DVLA SORN process yesterday no problems, five minutes max.

Looking forward to receiving the refund but noticed on the last screen that my refund "should be received in four to six weeks" (!)

Is this how long we have to wait - really??

What is DVLA using a Sinclair ZX Spectrum !

Seriously though, how long does the refund take?

Result - DVLA cheque arrived today. That's 5 days since completing the SORN online.

Well done DVLA :-D

As I said above I SORNed my motorhome on 29 March.

Using the www.gov.uk “Check if a vehicle is taxed” on-line capability, I’ve just checked mny motothome’s VED status and it is still shown as taxed with a ’Tax due’ date of 1 April 2021.

However, on clicking on “Incorrect tax status? on that webpage, the caveat shown below appears.

So - if you have SORNed your vehicle recently - it might be worth checking its tax status just in case there’s been a problem at the DVLA end.

276482073_SORNstatus.png.890408d0aadd91daf38e502bd85360c0.png

It’s not mandatory to telephone the DVLA about a SORN-related issue, as there is an on-line enquiry form and a ‘live chat’ option.

https://live.email-dvla.service.gov.uk/w2c/en_gb/forms/Vehicles%20General?button=57358000000Gqkk&decision=Any+other+SORN+enquiry+not+listed&lang=en_gb

(If you SORNed via the gov.uk website and received a confirmatory email, the latter will have included a reference number, but I don’t know how SORNing by phone works.)

Unfortunately when I tried to SORN on line it kept crashing so I used the phone option which went well and I got a verbal confirmation but the SORN site still shows it's taxed until 2021. The online chat is not working and they only want calls from essential persons. If I re SORN now I'll lose a month so I'll keep waiting for a bit longer.

My tax due 1 April, paid it then did SORN 2 weeks later as Covid-19 situation worsening. Vehicle listed as tax due 1 April 2021!! Sent email to DVLA, just got reply, they won't be replying as too busy. Think I'll just live with it and maybe try SORN again later this month if still looking bleak for camping.

If you read stevec176’s posting of 1 April 2020 9:46 PM above, you’ll see that, after SORNing his motorhome on 27 March, he attempted to re-SORN it and the DVLA system advised him that the vehicle was already SORNed.

If whatever method of SORNing (on-line or telephone) was used showed no indication that the procedure might have failed, it’s reasonable to assume that the SORNing was successful. As I said above, I SORNed my Rapido on 29 March on-line, received a confirmatory e-mail saying "Your SORN has been successful” and including a reference number.

The www.gov.uk “Check if a vehicle is taxed” on-line checker still shows the Rapido as taxed, but that doesn’t greatly concern me and I’m definitely NOT going to amuse myself by attempting to re-SORN the Rapido to see if the DVLA’s system will stop me doing that!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived