SORN

armstrongpiper

Got there at last!! DVLA software obviously struggling at present, so patience everyone!

Renewed tax on 9/3/20, to beat any budget increase.

Did SORN on 25/3/20 as into lockdown.

Looked early April, and thought SORN hadn't worked as vehicle shown as taxed to April next year, ie tax paid early March in effect.

Got through to DVLA on phone yesterday, only needed 3 attempts, and was told vehicle is SORNed. Felt a bit of a numpty when I looked myself at "check vehicle tax status" and saw mine isn't taxed!

Cheque arrived today!!! Funny thing, it's dated two days before I did SORN!! Now how to pay it into bank? Bingo, Lloyds mobile banking app worked, on a roll today!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Further to my earlier message, as the on line status was still showing my van as taxed I decided to re SORN it, but this time I did it on line and got the confirmation email. I did it on the 11th and got my cheque this morning. The cheque was for only £242.91 so they've kept a months tax for April. The van was due to be retaxed the 1st April but I obviously made a mistake by retaxing the van early, 7th March. The initial SORN was made on the 27th March so the van became un taxed until the end of March but because I'd retaxed it early it was automatically taxed again from the 1st April so I had to SORN again so lost April's portion. I've emailed them so will just have to wait and see what happens.

My Rapido’s VED expired on 31 March 2020 and on 9 March I renewed the VED on-line for 12 months effective from 1 April 2020. I received a confirmatory email that the renewal had been successful .

On 29 March 2020 I SORNed on-line the Rapido without any difficulty and received a confirmatory email that the SORN had been successful. However, I now note that the email says "The SORN will be valid until you tax, sell, permanently export or scrap the vehicle.”

I’ve just (18 April) repeated the on-line SORNing procedure for the Rapido (again without any difficulty) and received a confirmatory email that the SORN has been successful.

As I had taxed the Rapido from 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021 BEFORE I SORNed the vehicle on 29 March 2020, I expected that the full £265 I had paid for the forthcoming 12 months period would be refunded to me and that the SORN would be in force continuously until I re-taxed the Rapido later this year. I certainly would not have anticipated that the SORN would merely be in force from 29-31 March 2020 and the fact that I had renewed the vehicle’s VED 20 days earlier would override the SORN and effectively ‘re-tax’ the Rapido.

As an ex-programmer I can appreciate that taxing a vehicle ‘in advance’ and then SORNing it within the existing VED period is a mite peculiar, and the ‘logic’ of DVLA’s software seems to have penalised Steve regarding the amount of refund and will probably penalise me (though I’ve yet to receive a refund cheque).

The DVLA is not currently responding to emails, but I intend to argue that the statement "The SORN WILL be valid until you tax, sell, permanently export or scrap the vehicle” clearly iindicates that the ‘taxing’ must be done by the vehicle’s keeper AFTER the SORN has been put in place and that taxing the vehicle in advance BEFORE the SORN is in place should be overlooked.

On using the “Check if a vehicle is taxed” on-line procedure today (21 April) I see that my Rapido motorhome is now shown as SORNed.

Hopefully a refund cheque will arrive soon and - as the cheque’s amount will almost certainly not reflect the fact that I SORNed the vehicle on 29 March - I’ll be contacting the DVLA about that when the DVLA resumes responding to emails.

Well despite me not having faith in the system our van is now shown as SORN and a cheque for the full years VED arrived in the post this morning. So hopefully you will get yours as well Derek!

So well done DVLA I raise my hat to you.

Basil

Have now received cheque - £242.91 equating to an 11 months refund.

The cheque is dated 20 April 2020 and its iissue was undoubtedly triggered by the ‘re-SORN’ application I made on 18 April 2020, not the earlier SORN application I made on 29 March 2020.

As I said earlier, I taxed my motorhome on 9 March 2020 for the period 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021 and (I assume) this must have overridden the 29 March 2020 SORN application.

I’m pretty sure that the reason you got a full 12 months refund and I got an 11 months refund is that you SORNed on 31 March (the last day of the month) whereas I SORNed two days earlier on 29 March.

I have a similar issue to take up with DVLA once they resume normal business, though relating to selling a vehicle rather than making a SORN.

I sold my Bailey on 16/3 and posted the V5C (following the instructions on the 5 year old document) to Swansea on 17/3. Having heard nothing 5 weeks later I investigated and found that this process can now be done online (obviously, with hindsight..) as noted on my new van's V5C, so I repeated the process online.

A refund cheque raised by the online process on 22/4 has already arrived, but refunding only from the beginning of May so I'm due a a further month's refund once and if the paper application is ever processed.

Somehow I doubt I'll ever see it.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-04-28 9:07 AM

Have now received cheque - £242.91 equating to an 11 months refund.

The cheque is dated 20 April 2020 and its iissue was undoubtedly triggered by the ‘re-SORN’ application I made on 18 April 2020, not the earlier SORN application I made on 29 March 2020.

As I said earlier, I taxed my motorhome on 9 March 2020 for the period 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021 and (I assume) this must have overridden the 29 March 2020 SORN application.

I’m pretty sure that the reason you got a full 12 months refund and I got an 11 months refund is that you SORNed on 31 March (the last day of the month) whereas I SORNed two days earlier on 29 March.

Oh dear sorry to hear that, do you think that your second SORN may have confused the situation at all?

Basil

It’s not really a ‘confusion’ issue, it’s down to how DVLA software must handle road-tax (VED) and SORN.

My motorhome had been road-taxed until 31 March 2020.

On 9 March 2020 I renewed on-line the motorhome’s tax (£265) for the period 1 April 2020 until 31 March 2021.

A couple of weeks later it was plain that the COVID-19 pandemic would be curtailing our motorhome use for months, so on 29 March 2020 I SORNed the motorhome on-line. The application was confirmed that day as having been accepted and - as far as I was concerned - from 29 March 2020 the motorhome was SORNed indefinitely.

As the DVLA’s on-line ’tax check’ procedure continued to show my motorhome as being taxed until 31 March 2021, on 6 April 2020 I advised the DVLA that this was incorrect. But by then the DVLA had ceased responding to email enquiries.

On 18 April 2020, with the on-line ’tax check’ procedure still showing my motorhome as being taxed until 31 March 2021, I emailed the DVLA about this again. But email enquiries were still not being dealt with.

From earlier comments on this thread there now seemed to be a strong possibility that my successful SORN application of 29 March 2020 had only lasted two days and had then been overridden by my 9 March 2020 re-taxing application. If that were the case, the motorhome would remain taxed until 31 March 2021 unless I took proactive measures.

On 18 April 2020 I decided to apply for SORN again on the basis that, if the motorhome were already recorded on the DVLA’s system as SORNed, the system might well reject the application. However, this SORN application was confirmed as successful and, a few days later, the DVLA’s on-line ’tax check’ procedure showed my motorhome as being SORNed and I’ve now received a cheque refunding 11 months-worth of VED.

The difference between what I did and what you did is subtle. There were still two days left of the existing VED period when I initially SORNed my motorhome, but you SORNed yours on the final day of the VED period. If you had SORNed your motorhome a day earlier, on 30 March 2020 rather than 31 March 2020, I’m pretty sure the same thing that happened to me would have happened to you.

As my motorhome had no longer been ‘on the road’, I should have let the 2019-2020 VED period expire on 31 March 2020, not renewed the VED and applied for SORN on 1 April 2020 - then I would not have given the DVLA any money and no refund cheque have needed to be issued. But that’s with the benefit of hindsight of course...

I’m going to write to the DVLA about this (it’s really too complex to handle by email) but I’m not confident that a £22.09 additional refund will be forthcoming.

• 1 month later...

I mentioned in my last posting above that I intended to write to the DVLA about my 'loss' of a month’s worth of VED as a result of how their computer system had processed my SORN applications.

Today I received a letter from the DVLA saying that the refund payment of £242.91 that had originally been sent was incorrect and an additional payment of £22.09 would be sent shortly.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-06-17 12:10 PM

I mentioned in my last posting above that I intended to write to the DVLA about my 'loss' of a month’s worth of VED as a result of how their computer system had processed my SORN applications.

Today I received a letter from the DVLA saying that the refund payment of £242.91 that had originally been sent was incorrect and an additional payment of £22.09 would be sent shortly.

Just in time to pay for taxing from 1st July? (lol)

That's what I'll be doing, C&MC site booked from 4th July for 2 nights. First chance to meet our daughter since before we went to Spain in January.

Progress!

Matrix Meanderer - 2020-06-17 5:26 PM

That's what I'll be doing, C&MC site booked from 4th July for 2 nights. First chance to meet our daughter since before we went to Spain in January.

Progress!

Obviously keeping your fingers crossed that they are given the go ahead to open on 4th July, it has not been confirmed yet!

Keith.

K2 Rum - 2020-04-14 11:29 AM

We got a cheque form the DVLA, sent it with a paying in slip from a cheque book (remember those?)

Perhaps not all banks but with Barclays the app on our phone allows a photo of a cheque to be taken and automatically pays it in showed in our bank in 10 mins

witzend - 2020-06-17 6:22 PM

Perhaps not all banks but with Barclays the app on our phone allows a photo of a cheque to be taken and automatically pays it in showed in our bank in 10 mins

Definitely not all banks. I've searched Nationwide's website but the only options I can find there are take it into a branch or post it.

Matrix Meanderer - 2020-06-17 5:26 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2020-06-17 12:10 PM

Progress!

No interest to me as all our motorcaravanning is in France.

Brittany Ferries crossing booked for early September 2020, but my wife will decide whether we go then or later.

aandy - 2020-06-17 7:38 PM

Definitely not all banks. I've searched Nationwide's website but the only options I can find there are take it into a branch or post it.

We only saw it on the phone app not avail on web site just had to hold phone over the cheque the app took control switching on the camera and automatically took photo when cheque was in correct position "Amazing"

Mickt - 2020-06-19 3:53 PM

You can pay a cheque in at Nationwide by using the ATM

I was made aware of that this morning as I queued outside the branch with the intention of paying a cheque in over the counter, but thanks anyway for mentioning it.

But only if the Nationwide branch has an ATM...

My local Nationwide branch does not and neither does the next nearest. So, should I want to pay in a cheque when the local Nationwide branch is closeed, I’d need to drive 16 miles.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-06-19 6:29 PM

But only if the Nationwide branch has an ATM...

My local Nationwide branch does not and neither does the next nearest. So, should I want to pay in a cheque when the local Nationwide branch is closeed, I’d need to drive 16 miles.

Or by Post..........

https://tinyurl.com/y84yql4x

B-)

SORN my motorcaravan by post on 30th March. V5 not to hand at that time to do it online. It is still showing online as being taxed. MOT was due 28th March but all MOT stations were closed on 23rd March. New request to Tax vehicle received by post. Unable to contact DVLA unless a key worker. LIMBO.

Fullwelly - 2020-06-21 7:48 PM

SORN my motorcaravan by post on 30th March. V5 not to hand at that time to do it online. It is still showing online as being taxed. MOT was due 28th March but all MOT stations were closed on 23rd March. New request to Tax vehicle received by post. Unable to contact DVLA unless a key worker. LIMBO.

Hi John and welcome,

It sounds like your postal request for SORN was never actioned! Did you recieve a refund as a cheque by post? If not then it definitely never happened!

As your MOT expired on 28th March it will not have been extended by six months so you will have to find an MOT station undertaking tests and get it passed before you can re-tax it. If you do not do this by the end of the month that your tax expires then you will have to declare SORN or risk a fine. You can book an MOT and re-apply for tax when you get a pass.

Keith.

Edit to add: MOT's expiring before 30th March where not extended - see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020

I sorned M/H April.

I went on Gov site to Tax it, it wants to tax it from the 1st of June, I was trying to tax it from the 1st July.

Just trying to be prepared.

Anyone any ideas if i can do this.

I checked the status and it is definitely sorned.

Thanks

Steve Kelly

If you don't want to pay for whole of June, only option is to wait until 0001 on 1st July.

It only take a minute online and is taxed with immediate effect. I'd recommend printing off confirmation (or having the email with you) as it can take a day or two to show as taxed online.

Archived