Pyrrhic victory?.........

Guest pelmetman

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-08-27 3:46 PM

Shouldn’t that be ..woof.

Nah......WOW is more appropriate for those who have wasted 5 years of their lives and got 50k into debt >:-) .............

Double WOW 8-) .........

https://www.independent.co.uk/student/graduates-three-quarters-never-pay-off-debt-loan-maintenance-grant-institute-for-fiscal-studies-a7824016.html

It doesn’t really matter what the debt is as it is unlikely to be paid off unless you are a very high earner.

So a student has 2 to 3 years having a jolly good time at Uni , all funded by the government, don’t have to pay a penny back unless you earn over£20,000 and then you only pay back at something like a fiver a month You either get a job or not. My two daughters did it 10 years ago,the amount they pay back wouldn’t buy a packet of fags.

Waste of time ...no. But for some sure. It doesn’t suit everyone.

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-08-27 5:19 PM

It doesn’t really matter what the debt is as it is unlikely to be paid off unless you are a very high earner.

So a student has 2 to 3 years having a jolly good time at Uni , all funded by the government, don’t have to pay a penny back unless you earn over£20,000 and then you only pay back at something like a fiver a month You either get a job or not. My two daughters did it 10 years ago,the amount they pay back wouldn’t buy a packet of fags.

So your sprogs cant blame thick folk like me because they cant get on the property ladder? ;-) .......

Suits me >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2020-08-27 6:19 PM

So your sprogs cant blame thick folk like me because they cant get on the property ladder? ;-) .......

They are already on.

Why would you be to blame?

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-08-27 6:54 PM

They are already on.

So did they marry a high earner with a degree or a thick bloke without 50k of debt? ;-) ........

Or did you remortgage? 8-) ........

Nice to see I'm not getting the blame for once on here :D ........

pelmetman - 2020-08-27 3:07 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-08-26 11:13 AM

pelmetman - 2020-08-25 9:05 PM

malc d - 2020-08-25 8:56 PM

pelmetman - 2020-08-25 8:46 PM

malc d - 2020-08-25 8:42 PM

pelmetman - 2020-08-25 10:58 AM

I don't have a problem with higher education either......... I object to way it has become a sausage machine for feeding university empire building, at the expense of the 50% that didn't need a degree for the job they got.....So didn't need to END UP IN DEBT >:-) ............

I think you will find that these days almost ANY company where worthwhile jobs are available, the companies insist that applicants have a degree.

It may not be necessary to have a degree to do the job - but is essential if you want to get the job in the first place. ;-)

Hmmm........You may have a point ;-) ......

As when I hired a ex bank manager to do my deliverys years ago he prolly had a degree :D ......

Well, these days I assume you wouldn't have hired him if he didn't have a degree. ;-)

I'll hire anyone if they can do the job ;-) ........

Having a Degree means Feck all to me *-) ......

As all it proves nowadays is that they paid a fortune for what I got paid to learn >:-) .......

Muppets.....

So let's see. Sort story.

You want a bridge built. You advertise for bridge builders. Up pops a girl and days I'm good at building bridges. You say OK, you're employed - you say you're good at building bridges, so you must be.

Next chapter?

Sorry for the delay.......I've got the builders in :D ........

If I needed a bridge built I would want to see examples of bridges they'd built ;-) ......……………….. ......…

So she says "of course, I'll take you to see one of mine".

Dave-bridge-1-red.thumb.jpg.4261c717a4c749830e41d6eb0581ca39.jpg

pelmetman - 2020-08-27 6:57 PM

jumpstart - 2020-08-27 6:54 PM

They are already on.

So did they marry a high earner with a degree or a thick bloke without 50k of debt? ;-) ........

Or did you remortgage? 8-) ........

Nice to see I'm not getting the blame for once on here :D ........

Are those the only two sorts of bloke out there? Which are you?

Brian Kirby - 2020-08-28 8:02 AM

pelmetman - 2020-08-27 3:07 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-08-26 11:13 AM

pelmetman - 2020-08-25 9:05 PM

malc d - 2020-08-25 8:56 PM

pelmetman - 2020-08-25 8:46 PM

malc d - 2020-08-25 8:42 PM

pelmetman - 2020-08-25 10:58 AM

I don't have a problem with higher education either......... I object to way it has become a sausage machine for feeding university empire building, at the expense of the 50% that didn't need a degree for the job they got.....So didn't need to END UP IN DEBT >:-) ............

I think you will find that these days almost ANY company where worthwhile jobs are available, the companies insist that applicants have a degree.

It may not be necessary to have a degree to do the job - but is essential if you want to get the job in the first place. ;-)

Hmmm........You may have a point ;-) ......

As when I hired a ex bank manager to do my deliverys years ago he prolly had a degree :D ......

Well, these days I assume you wouldn't have hired him if he didn't have a degree. ;-)

I'll hire anyone if they can do the job ;-) ........

Having a Degree means Feck all to me *-) ......

As all it proves nowadays is that they paid a fortune for what I got paid to learn >:-) .......

Muppets.....

So let's see. Sort story.

You want a bridge built. You advertise for bridge builders. Up pops a girl and days I'm good at building bridges. You say OK, you're employed - you say you're good at building bridges, so you must be.

Next chapter?

Sorry for the delay.......I've got the builders in :D ........

If I needed a bridge built I would want to see examples of bridges they'd built ;-) ......……………….. ......…

So she says "of course, I'll take you to see one of mine".

Was that OK, Dave?

I assume silence means something more elaborate was in mind, so here's a "proper" bridge.

Now, the problem with structures such as these, is that require "proper" engineers to design them, and proper engineers have to gain degrees in engineering before they can become members of a professional institution, and they have to be members of a professional institution before they can practise as engineers. Most likely, in the case of bridges, the Institution of Civil Engineers.

So, bearing the mind the number of fields in which a formal qualification is a requirement for practising, your "downer" on degrees is a bit overdone.

I imagine that a few mechanical engineers - with degrees - were employed by Ford even when your Tranny was being designed. So who designed the roads and bridges you drive over? Who designed the traffic lights and level crossing barriers? Who designed the railways you cross, and the locomotives, carriages, and wagons that run on them? Who wrote the rule book that governs what electricians do? Who designed all the cars, vans, buses and trucks you pass as you travel? Who designed all the buildings that house our shops, offices, houses and flats? Who designs our communications networks, our power networks, our gas distribution networks, our water supply networks, our sewer networks? In short, how many beans make five? :-D

Dave-bridge-2-red.thumb.jpg.83da3d4f1d8181d3a556a05abf6e6c36.jpg

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-08-29 9:31 AM

I assume silence means something more elaborate was in mind, so here's a "proper" bridge.

Now, the problem with structures such as these, is that require "proper" engineers to design them, and proper engineers have to gain degrees in engineering before they can become members of a professional institution, and they have to be members of a professional institution before they can practise as engineers. Most likely, in the case of bridges, the Institution of Civil Engineers.

So, bearing the mind the number of fields in which a formal qualification is a requirement for practising, your "downer" on degrees is a bit overdone.

I imagine that a few mechanical engineers - with degrees - were employed by Ford even when your Tranny was being designed. So who designed the roads and bridges you drive over? Who designed the traffic lights and level crossing barriers? Who designed the railways you cross, and the locomotives, carriages, and wagons that run on them? Who wrote the rule book that governs what electricians do? Who designed all the cars, vans, buses and trucks you pass as you travel? Who designed all the buildings that house our shops, offices, houses and flats? Who designs our communications networks, our power networks, our gas distribution networks, our water supply networks, our sewer networks? In short, how many beans make five? :-D

So engineers don't get it wrong? ;-) ..........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52213898

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52878053

https://www.indiatvnews.com/news/india/bihar-sattarghat-bridge-collapses-video-rs-263-crore-tejashwi-yadav-nitish-kumar-corruption-charge-bihar-govt-634692

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bridge-collapse-in-taiwan-caught-on-video-oil-tanker-falls-onto-boats-nanfangao-bay-today-2019-10-01/

Here's one I made earlier :D ..........

590609448_P1020128PalletPier.JPG.66d2dd1e6d5c993c4e6d0a4b6d4e284c.JPG

pelmetman - 2020-08-29 9:36 AM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52213898

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52878053

https://www.indiatvnews.com/news/india/bihar-sattarghat-bridge-collapses-video-rs-263-crore-tejashwi-yadav-nitish-kumar-corruption-charge-bihar-govt-634692

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bridge-collapse-in-taiwan-caught-on-video-oil-tanker-falls-onto-boats-nanfangao-bay-today-2019-10-01/

Here's one I made earlier :D ..........

What has any of that to do with the degrees they have to get to practice, and whether they are worthwhile?

One collapse is due to maintenance failures (as was the Morandi collabse), one was a failure during construction, one is a man in the pub failure, and the last had stood for 22 years, so the initial design was presumably good. Collapse possibly due to the typhoon, poor maintenance, poor construction supervision, poor materials, or who knows? The current suspicion is apparently that part of one of the piers fractured, but why is yet to be discovered.

Before engineering theories developed, structures were built by trial and error - of which only the successes remain. Engineering develops from failures. Analysis of failures refines theories. All engineering proceeds from theory; no engineering is risk free. All engineering is a exercise in risk management. Sometimes failures are due to error, sometimes to poor construction practices or materials, sometimes to inadequate maintenance, and sometimes to unforeseen circumstances, such as climatic or geological events. That is what the students have to learn about, and the graduates have to go on learning about throughout their working lives.

You don't arf talk some tripe! :-D

No human is infallible and they still need to obtain the relevant qualifications. Do you think paddling a rowing boat around a duck pond is sufficient to take command of a ship? :-S

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-08-29 1:58 PM

No human is infallible and they still need to obtain the relevant qualifications. Do you think paddling a rowing boat around a duck pond is sufficient to take command of a ship? :-S

I'm more than happy with where my 60+ year old uneducated paddling boat has ended up B-) ..........

If I was clever I'd prolly still be working 8-) ...........

pelmetman - 2020-08-29 8:23 PM

I'm more than happy with where my 60+ year old uneducated paddling boat has ended up B-) ..........

Pity you aren't bright enough to do something about you alcoholism. Get yourself sorted out FGS. *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-08-29 8:39 PM

pelmetman - 2020-08-29 8:23 PM

Pity you aren't bright enough to do something about you alcoholism. Get yourself sorted out FGS. *-)

Given the choice between and a bottle of wine and dementia ;-) ........

I'd rather lose my liver than my marbles 8-) ......

Just sayin....hic :D .......

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-08-29 1:14 PM

All engineering is a exercise in risk management. Sometimes failures are due to error, sometimes to poor construction practices or materials, sometimes to inadequate maintenance, and sometimes to unforeseen circumstances,

Sounds a bit like Empire building ;-) .........

I've yet to see one last more than a few hundred years in recent times :D .......

maxresdefaultmuttley.thumb.jpg.1b148a5b9c30c04f9d9cd6e2b9cec24c.jpg

pelmetman - 2020-08-29 9:10 PM

All engineering is a exercise in risk management. Sometimes failures are due to error, sometimes to poor construction practices or materials, sometimes to inadequate maintenance, and sometimes to unforeseen circumstances,

1 Sounds a bit like Empire building ;-) .........

2 I've yet to see one last more than a few hundred years in recent times :D .......

1 So do you think railways are generally safe ways to travel?

2 Sentence make no sense whatever! Can you translate into normal English, please? For instance, "one" what? Given that few of us live to 100, can anyone see anything "last more than few hundred years"? How could something "last a few hundred years in recent times"? What do you mean by "recent times"?

Brian Kirby - 2020-08-30 11:35 AM

2 I've yet to see one last more than a few hundred years in recent times :D .......

2 Sentence make no sense whatever! Can you translate into normal English, please? For instance, "one" what? Given that few of us live to 100, can anyone see anything "last more than few hundred years"? How could something "last a few hundred years in recent times"? What do you mean by "recent times"?

None of his posts make sense and once he's on the bottle, it just gets worse. I don't think he ever progressed to joined up writing as his thinking certainly hasn't been joined up in a long time.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-08-30 11:35 AM

1.........It's a valid point ;-) .........Do bridges not have a finite life span (?) ........

2........European Empires appear to have lasted a few hundred years in recent times, do you think the EU will last that long? >:-) .............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_empires

pelmetman - 2020-08-31 8:43 AM

2........European Empires appear to have lasted a few hundred years in recent times, do you think the EU will last that long? >:-) .............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_empires

I couldn't find the EU on Wiki's list of Empires - did you ?

If it's not there, maybe you should write and tell 'em about it, and get it added on.

:-|

Archived