Pyrrhic victory?.........

Guest pelmetman

Bulletguy - 2020-08-19 10:17 PM

Hot on the heels of deciding to move his money to Monaco, arch Brexiter Sir Jim Ratcliffe has decided to build his new Land Rover clone inside the EU, rather than in Wales as promised.

So he has clobbered his main competition - Land Rover, who will be the wrong side of trade barriers in the UK :-S

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-08-21 9:28 AM

Bulletguy - 2020-08-19 10:17 PM

Hot on the heels of deciding to move his money to Monaco, arch Brexiter Sir Jim Ratcliffe has decided to build his new Land Rover clone inside the EU, rather than in Wales as promised.

So he has clobbered his main competition - Land Rover, who will be the wrong side of trade barriers in the UK :-S

Or alternatively he's on the wrong side of the UK trade barrier along with BMW, AUDI, Mercedes, Fiat, Citroen, Hymer, Sevel etc etc etc :D ...........

The trade with Japan almost done, so we're be able to import reliable Japanese motors to complement those built here instead B-) .........

StuartO - 2020-08-18 3:54 PM

having children is still seen as a way to get yourself something of a meal ticket too because our social and welfare system

Yes - because for many having kids on benefits is the only way they can get their own home.

The Government has created this problem by its interventions in the housing market to inflate rents.

Unless you are going to throw women and children out on the streets benefits have to cover rents and essentials - which are often more than wages.

You can't solve the housing crisis without housing - and you can't build enough when selfish Nimbys have the power to stop it. (or put so many restrictions on it as to make it uneconomic)

Whats your solution?

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-08-21 9:40 AM

having children is still seen as a way to get yourself something of a meal ticket too because our social and welfare system

The Government has created this problem by its interventions in the housing market to inflate rents.

Unless you are going to throw women and children out on the streets benefits have to cover rents and essentials - which are often more than wages.

You can't solve the housing crisis without housing - and you can't build enough when selfish Nimbys have the power to stop it.

Whats your solution?

More LLLLB cobblers *-) ...........

Rents are set by the local demand ;-) .........

If you tried renting your house out that you selfishly leave empty most of the time... you'd know that *-) .........

pelmetman - 2020-08-21 9:44 AM

John52 - 2020-08-21 9:40 AM

You can't solve the housing crisis without housing - and you can't build enough when selfish Nimbys have the power to stop it.

Whats your solution?

More LLLLB cobblers *-) ...........

Rents are set by the local demand ;-) .........

If you tried renting your house out that you selfishly leave empty most of the time... you'd know that *-) .........

I'll try asking the question again *-)

Whats your solution?

Housing crisis is not so bad here because of all your money BoJo is sending us to bribe us not to vote for the nationalists.

So Bojo maintains his empire at your expense.

Effectively taxing money from you and giving it to me.

So I don't need the money, I've got yours.

Which you seem to think makes me the loser, and presumably you the winner *-)

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-08-21 9:52 AM

Housing crisis is not so bad here because of all you 'winners' money BoJo is sending us 'losers' to bribe us not to vote for the nationalists.

So Bojo maintains his empire at your expense.

Which you seem to think makes me the loser, and presumably you the winner *-)

It's not bad in most of the UK ;-) .......

It was a problem in our cities, but one Chinky Flu bonus appears to be that folk are leaving them asap :D ...........

So house prices and rents are dropping :D ............

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-08-21 10:04 AM

pelmetman - 2020-08-21 9:57 AM

meanwhile back in the real world 'the latest Your Move rental index shows rents rising by 2.7% in the South East, 2.5% in the East Midlands and 2.1% in the North West. '

https://www.creditladder.co.uk/blog/Can-My-Landlord-Increase-the-Rent

Your link doesn't have a date ;-) ..........

So it was prolly pre COVID19 *-) ........

There's a report in The Times today suggesting that universities are being told to prioritise admissions for students from depreived areas over others for places this year if there is a need for some to be deffered. Students from better off areas are considered to be better able to cope with having a year off before they go to university.

Given the Grade Inflation had preferentially affected students from poorer areas, some will have qualified for admission without actually achieving the necessary grades and could therefore be likely to struggle or fail at unversity (unless they are given inflated grades throughout) these students are being led up the garden path towards building up a big student debt without getting a decent degree or a degree at all.

We know of one young man who failed his degree a few years ago, carries a big debt and since he has a low-earning job with little chance of progression, is never likely to escape from this trap. Universities should be penalised in some way if they allow someone to complete a three year degree course and fail complettely at the very end; they should weed out those who are failing much earlier on.

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2020-08-21 12:29 PM

There's a report in The Times today suggesting that universities are being told to prioritise admissions for students from depreived areas over others for places this year if there is a need for some to be deffered. Students from better off areas are considered to be better able to cope with having a year off before they go to university.

Given the Grade Inflation had preferentially affected students from poorer areas, some will have qualified for admission without actually achieving the necessary grades and could therefore be likely to struggle or fail at unversity (unless they are given inflated grades throughout) these students are being led up the garden path towards building up a big student debt without getting a decent degree or a degree at all.

We know of one young man who failed his degree a few years ago, carries a big debt and since he has a low-earning job with little chance of progression, is never likely to escape from this trap. Universities should be penalised in some way if they allow someone to complete a three year degree course and fail complettely at the very end; they should weed out those who are failing much earlier on.

The University suasage factory will in about 4 years time either produce a above average score of folk who have dropped out........Or a lot of dud degree's ;-) .......

I predict Generation Drama Queen will have a lot of Degreet's in the future :-| ........

Just sayin........

pelmetman - 2020-08-21 10:23 AM

meanwhile back in the real world 'the latest Your Move rental index shows rents rising by 2.7% in the South East, 2.5% in the East Midlands and 2.1% in the North West. '

I would have given the direct link to Your Move rental index if I thought you would read it.

But I was trying to keep it down to one simple sentence for you.

Can you post your evidence that 'house prices and rents are dropping' *-)

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-08-21 5:22 PM

I would have given the direct link to Your Move rental index if I thought you would read it.

"The economic challenges of the Covid crisis have yet to force down rents outside London, latest figures from the Homelet Rental Index covering July show."

https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/latest-rents-rising-by-1-4-outside-london-as-demand-for-new-tenancies-remains-strong/

Kinda guessing they have inside London :D .......

" when London’s sky-high rents are excluded, which are down by 3.2% year-on-year."

Oooop's it appears they are >:-) ...........

pelmetman - 2020-08-21 5:31 PM

"The economic challenges of the Covid crisis have yet to force down rents outside London, latest figures from the Homelet Rental Index covering July show."

https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/latest-rents-rising-by-1-4-outside-london-as-demand-for-new-tenancies-remains-strong/

" when London’s sky-high rents are excluded, which are down by 3.2% year-on-year."

London's sky high rents are of no relevance to benefit claimants as they are out of their price range anyway.

The relevant rents are rising, as the parts of your link you have missed show.

pelmetman - 2020-08-21 4:15 PM

The University suasage factory will in about 4 years time either produce a above average score of folk who have dropped out........Or a lot of dud degree's ;-) .......

I predict Generation Drama Queen will have a lot of Degreet's in the future :-| ........

Just sayin........

Is this meant to prepare us for when BoJo totally screws up our education system

you can say education wasn't worth having anyway ?

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-08-21 5:53 PM

pelmetman - 2020-08-21 5:31 PM

London's sky high rents are of no relevance to benefit claimants as they are out of their price range anyway.

The relevant rents are rising, as the parts of your link you have missed show.

Come on Joke52 *-) .......

You said,,,,,,,"Can you post your evidence that 'house prices and rents are dropping'"

So I did ;-) ........ ........

But you being a "Typical Marxist" refuse to accept the facts >:-) ........

maxresdefaultmuttley.thumb.jpg.6abdf59f258bda38e7f5045774c91ab3.jpg

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-08-21 5:55 PM

pelmetman - 2020-08-21 4:15 PM

Just sayin........

Is this meant to prepare us for when BoJo totally screws up our education system

you can say education wasn't worth having anyway ?

Some of us don't need to be taught how to think :D .......

Just sayin ;-) .......

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-08-21 6:41 PM

House prices are actually going up. I should know,having just sold my house and moving in to the Motorhome. Sales are now “ offers above” or guide price ,with a lot of people goingfor them as there is no stamp duty currently.

So.....So is my equity B-) .......

More proof that Brexit Blighty is ticking over quite nicely :D ...............

Despite a Pandemic and 4 years of Loser bitching (lol) (lol) (lol) ...........

pelmetman - 2020-08-19 3:51 PM...………………………..You do realise at elections you vote for a polictical party, not the leader of the party ;-) .................

Actually, you don't. You vote (or are supposed to vote) for the candidate you judge would be the best representative for your constituency in Parliament. Those who vote for party sheep only get party sheep as MPs - which has a lot to say on the current state of our government. Baaa, baaa, 650 times? :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-08-22 8:57 AM

pelmetman - 2020-08-19 3:51 PM...………………………..You do realise at elections you vote for a polictical party, not the leader of the party ;-) .................

Actually, you don't. You vote (or are supposed to vote) for the candidate you judge would be the best representative for your constituency in Parliament. Those who vote for party sheep only get party sheep as MPs - which has a lot to say on the current state of our government. Baaa, baaa, 650 times? :-D

Actually we do (in practice) vote for a political party in General Elections and most of us always vote for the same party, the one we have always voted for and which is probably the same one our parents voted for too. If the party wasn't printed on the voting slip alongside the candidate's name most of us would be lost and unable to vote as we intended to. We vote for the party we identify with as representing the social/economic class we feel we belong to rather than the one whose politicies we actually understand and could rehearse if requested. It's a bit like supporting the football team you have always supported except there are only two teams that count for most of the time. Only a minority are floating voters and are amenable to influence by political campaigning.

So it takes quite a lot (such as a leader like Jeremy Corbyn) to get a substantial swing of the core vote, which is why Boris is now being careful to play fair with (i.e. to continue to court) the working class vote, to protect his Party's majority at the next election.

To which I can only say, then look whose names are on your ballot paper the next time we have an election. :-) I don't think you will see political parties as candidates, albeit the political allegiances of the candidates will be plain. That is where the sheep come in.

Local parties select the candidates in consultation with the national parties, and that is where the sheep come in, because by voting for the party and not the best qualified candidate, the local party apparatchiks are prone to electing sheep.

It is an unthinking process that results in unthinking MPs, and ultimately unthinking governments, to the great detriment of democracy.

So, taking the Conservative party as an example (because it is currently the party of government), it has an estimated UK membership of 180,000. There are 650 parliamentary constituencies, so 180,000/650 means that each candidate is selected by just over 275 people out of an average constituency electorate of roughly 73,000. Change the party, and the same remains broadly true. That is my point. No-one seriously looks at the suitability of the candidates they are offered, so we get sheep. As I said, baaa, baaa, 650 times! :-D

The point I was making Brian is that individualists like you, who like to think they could get things right for everyone if only they would all see things as you do, are a complete practical irrelevance in our democracy. That doesn't stop you sounding off from your soap box of course but on a forum like this one only a tiny number of people read this Chatterbox section and generally speaking you are preaching to the unconvertable.

pelmetman - 2020-08-18 12:00 PM........................….

There are plenty of "Well paid" jobs for those who aren't afraid of hardwork ;-) ...........

Why else do we have to rely on migrant labour to pick our veg? :-| ..........

Sadly our youth would rather do "drama" judging by the ones that have been on the telly lately *-) .......

Are you seriously suggesting that picking "our veg" (most of which is an any case imported) is well paid? Really? You just don't understand do you?

Those kids have been more or less brainwashed into believing that a degree is the only way to their future economic security. Pretty well everyone they've met has been dinning that into them since they were born. So when their one chance to get to university seemed lost to the virus, they saw their futures collapsing before their eyes, and they panicked.

They are the victims of a duplicitous system. They have been persuaded almost since birth that a degree is essential if they want comfortable prosperity. It is the universities who have decided to offer degrees in dodgy subjects, without any reference to whether the economy requires the numbers of graduates in whichever subject they have studied - just so long as they pay, and the university course has sufficient students to justify it.

It is the kids who are being conned, and IMO they deserve sympathy, not knocking. It is the system that is unfit, not the kids. Their options seem to be presented as getting a degree and winning the game of life, or doing anything else and failing. IMO, the worst move made by the UK, educationally, was the conversion of the polytechnics into universities. Even the art colleges have now mostly been pushed into universities.

But, whatever the institution is called, its function is to turn out students equipped to earn their keep in a changing economy. For the students to benefit from that, they need good, individual, careers guidance, before they choose how and whether they want to go into higher education, and routes back into higher education if they later find the need to do so.

Back do Dave's point, I don't see tatty howking coming very high on the list of recommendations! :-D It isn't hard work that generates good earnings, it is productive work. There is no immutable link between wealth and sweat.

Archived