Pyrrhic victory?.........

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-08-23 5:02 PM

pelmetman - 2020-08-23 2:48 PM...................................Well you'd be wrong again ;-) .......

1 I don't have a problem with folk being taught how to read and write or do sums :D ........

2 As some bright academic years ago called it "The Three R's"?........I can only assume he was dyslexic 8-) .......

3 Plus you'd be wrong about me not advocating anything elese *-) ........

4 Anything else has got to be better than ending 50k in debt with a USELESS DEGREE and flipping burgers ........Even I'm bright enough to work that out >:-) ........

1 What, just that and no more? You really do want a very poorly informed world, don't you? Why?

2 See here: http://tinyurl.com/y4gx4kw4 Half a minute, and you could have dispelled half a century's ignorance, just by using the first of the Rs. :-D

3 I haven't seen what you advocate, only what you denigrate.

4 But most graduates don't emerge with a useless degree, and relatively few with a £K50 bill. I didn't, and don't, agree with the charges. It was Blair who introduced them (on the rather bogus pretext, IMO, that it was unfair for higher education to be funded from general taxation, because it meant lower income families were subsidising the education of the children of wealthy families), but it was your mates who raised them to present levels, including the usurious interest rates on student loans. It was as though no low income family never benefited from advice or medical care from university educated lawyers or clinicians. Typical, blinkered, party dogma.

What is needed, if charges and loans are to fund higher education, is informed, properly targeted, careers advice, where some students have to be advised that if they study certain subjects, they are unlikely to earn sufficient to pay off their debts.

But, above all, what I want to see is the reintroduction of locally accessible polytechnics and technical colleges for vocational training, leaving universities for the purely academic pursuits. Having to write a dissertation when training as an artist contributes nothing to the student's ability to paint or sculpt. Kids don't train as artists to write about it, they train to do it. So, bring back Art Colleges.

1.......I'm not adverse to a bit of geography or history providing it's not been rewritten by some Lefty Loser ;-) ........I'd even include RE as folk should know about those who hate Nonbelievers :D ..........

2.......So using 1795 spelling is supposed to support your argument????? 8-) .........

3.......I advocate teaching kids the basics, rather than brainwashing them into feeding the university sasuage machine *-) ........

4......50% of those who get a degree don't get a job in that subject >:-) ........

So that's 50k and 4 years for a 50/50 chance of getting a job in what they've spent years learning about 8-) .......

maxresdefaultmuttley.thumb.jpg.6699e56f1f472f3f2d71573fe49a007b.jpg

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pelmetman - 2020-08-23 5:28 PM

1.......I'm not adverse to a bit of geography or history providing it's not been rewritten by some Lefty Loser ;-) ....... .......

If you knew anything about the people running Oxford & Cambridge universities you might realise how absurd it is to call them leftles.

And you still haven't said what alternative you propose.

pelmetman - 2020-08-23 4:54 PM

But I guess that's coz I'm a know nuffink idiot who can still recall his "basic" training on how to respond to a virus.......... unlike you thick as mince clever folk >:-) ........

.. and how did your hero "Boris" do on that score *-)

pelmetman - 2020-08-21 7:47 PM

John52 - 2020-08-21 5:55 PM

pelmetman - 2020-08-21 4:15 PM

The University suasage factory will in about 4 years time either produce a above average score of folk who have dropped out........Or a lot of dud degree's ;-) .......

I predict Generation Drama Queen will have a lot of Degreet's in the future :-| ........

Just sayin........

Is this meant to prepare us for when BoJo totally screws up our education system

you can say education wasn't worth having anyway ?

Some of us don't need to be taught how to think :D .......

Just sayin ;-) .......

So you taught yourself how to think

Lets hope you didn't teach anybody else

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-08-24 7:03 AM

pelmetman - 2020-08-21 7:47 PM

John52 - 2020-08-21 5:55 PM

pelmetman - 2020-08-21 4:15 PM

The University suasage factory will in about 4 years time either produce a above average score of folk who have dropped out........Or a lot of dud degree's ;-) .......

I predict Generation Drama Queen will have a lot of Degreet's in the future :-| ........

Just sayin........

Is this meant to prepare us for when BoJo totally screws up our education system

you can say education wasn't worth having anyway ?

Some of us don't need to be taught how to think :D .......

Just sayin ;-) .......

So you taught yourself how to think

Lets hope you didn't teach anybody else

So who taught you to sh*t in dog bins? 8-) ..........

Coz who ever did it is disgusting >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2020-08-23 5:28 PM……………………..

1.......I'm not adverse to a bit of geography or history providing it's not been rewritten by some Lefty Loser ;-) ........I'd even include RE as folk should know about those who hate Nonbelievers :D ..........

2.......So using 1795 spelling is supposed to support your argument????? 8-) .........

3.......I advocate teaching kids the basics, rather than brainwashing them into feeding the university sasuage machine *-) ........

4......50% of those who get a degree don't get a job in that subject >:-) ........

So that's 50k and 4 years for a 50/50 chance of getting a job in what they've spent years learning about 8-) .......

1 Oh good! :-)

2 I wasn't advancing an argument, just replying to your implied question about the 3 Rs, which it seems you didn't in any case read fully.

3 So when, and how, would they get to learn about more than just the basics? Most of us need to. Where do you expect anyone with more than basic skills to come from?

4 So what? If you studied English, should that mean you can only get a job as an English teacher? Suppose you'd studied modern languages? Might you not work in the overseas branch of a bank? But in any case, I can't find support for your claim (as I understand 4 above) that 50% of graduates don't get jobs related to their degrees, or why it would matter, so long as they had decently paid jobs. So far as I could see, from earnings data, most at least achieve that.

Brian Kirby - 2020-08-24 12:43 PM

3 So when, and how, would they get to learn about more than just the basics? Most of us need to. Where do you expect anyone with more than basic skills to come from?

Item 3 is very enlightening :

He admits he wants all kids to be only taught up to the same level as him ( i.e. basics only ).

Imagine how he must have felt when he heard that the Labour Party founded the Open University - you can quite understand where his intense dislike of " lefties " comes from - especially educated ones !

:-D

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2020-08-24 9:15 PM

Item 3 is very enlightening :

He admits he wants all kids to be only taught up to the same level as him ( i.e. basics only ).

Imagine how he must have felt when he heard that the Labour Party founded the Open University - you can quite understand where his intense dislike of " lefties " comes from - especially educated ones !

:-D

Correct I think everyone should be taught the basics ;-) ..........

But as my school proved.......they were incapable of doing that *-) ..........and STILL ARE in many schools it would appear 8-) ........

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/sep/20/shameful-rise-18-of-children-leave-school-without-basic-qualifications

I don't have a problem with higher education either......... I object to way it has become a sausage machine for feeding university empire building, at the expense of the 50% that didn't need a degree for the job they got.....So didn't need to END UP IN DEBT >:-) ............

Guest pelmetman

4 So what? If you studied English, should that mean you can only get a job as an English teacher? Suppose you'd studied modern languages? Might you not work in the overseas branch of a bank? But in any case, I can't find support for your claim (as I understand 4 above) that 50% of graduates don't get jobs related to their degrees, or why it would matter, so long as they had decently paid jobs. So far as I could see, from earnings data, most at least achieve that.

So what if its your kids that have ended up with 50k of debt they didn't need eh Brian? ;-) ........

Is it still "SO WHAT" ? >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2020-08-25 11:07 AM

So what if its your kids that have ended up with 50k of debt they didn't need eh Brian? ;-) ........

Probably. The so what related to your statement that 50% don't get jobs directly related to areas they studied. You didn't 50% didn't get jobs, nor that they didn't get good jobs, just 50% (a figure I've yet to see corroborated) didn't get jobs working in their field of study. So, if they've got good jobs in other fields, why should that matter. University courses aren't all vocational courses, a lot are general courses that can be carried into almost any field, except those fields for which specific training or qualification are required.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-08-25 6:37 PM

Probably. The so what related to your statement that 50% don't get jobs directly related to areas they studied. You didn't 50% didn't get jobs, nor that they didn't get good jobs, just 50% (a figure I've yet to see corroborated) didn't get jobs working in their field of study. So, if they've got good jobs in other fields, why should that matter. University courses aren't all vocational courses, a lot are general courses that can be carried into almost any field, except those fields for which specific training or qualification are required.

Giggle :D ......

Trying to make yourself feel better Brian? ;-) .........

maxresdefaultmuttley.thumb.jpg.fe75150ffe762dd93e2645734f80b9ee.jpg

maxresdefaultmuttley.thumb.jpg.e0e0ff61ffb573861870fa66f548b575.jpg

pelmetman - 2020-08-25 6:41 PM

You struggle comprehending English don't you? Would a few word bubbles, baby spelling and cartoons help? :-|

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-08-25 7:04 PM

You struggle comprehending English don't you? Would a few word bubbles, baby spelling and cartoons help? :-|

More wise words from Brians bottom feeder :D ........

maxresdefaultmuttley.thumb.jpg.96770090ef1b1956b472092567793bfc.jpg

pelmetman - 2020-08-25 10:58 AM

I don't have a problem with higher education either......... I object to way it has become a sausage machine for feeding university empire building, at the expense of the 50% that didn't need a degree for the job they got.....So didn't need to END UP IN DEBT >:-) ............

I think you will find that these days almost ANY company where worthwhile jobs are available, the companies insist that applicants have a degree.

It may not be necessary to have a degree to do the job - but is essential if you want to get the job in the first place.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2020-08-25 8:42 PM

I think you will find that these days almost ANY company where worthwhile jobs are available, the companies insist that applicants have a degree.

It may not be necessary to have a degree to do the job - but is essential if you want to get the job in the first place.

;-)

Hmmm........You may have a point ;-) ......

As when I hired a ex bank manager to do my deliverys years ago he prolly had a degree :D ......

pelmetman - 2020-08-25 8:46 PM

;-)

As when I hired a ex bank manager to do my deliverys years ago he prolly had a degree :D ......

For once you actually made sense with your first sentence and should have left it at that......but you couldn't resist going off into Walter Mitty mode and trot out more fanciful tripe. *-)

;-)

Well, these days I assume you wouldn't have hired him if he didn't have a degree.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2020-08-25 8:56 PM

;-)

Well, these days I assume you wouldn't have hired him if he didn't have a degree.

;-)

I'll hire anyone if they can do the job ;-) ........

Having a Degree means Feck all to me *-) ......

As all it proves nowadays is that they paid a fortune for what I got paid to learn >:-) .......

Muppets.....

Waldorf.jpg.d484d7a2ea7b6380781c6a9f9db40d4a.jpg

pelmetman - 2020-08-25 9:05 PM

;-)

;-)

So you would be quite happy to see an unqualified doctor ?

Buy a house without the use of a qualified solicitor ?

Rely on an unqualified chemist to dispense your drugs ?

... but I suppose if you have been trained in all those things you don't need anyone with a degree in the subject.

:-| :-|

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2020-08-25 9:56 PM

;-)

;-)

So you would be quite happy to see an unqualified doctor ?

Buy a house without the use of a qualified solicitor ?

Rely on an unqualified chemist to dispense your drugs ?

... but I suppose if you have been trained in all those things you don't need anyone with a degree in the subject.

:-| :-|

Nope ;-) .......

Very clever Malc :D.........

You have managed to list 3 useful degrees out of the 100's available >:-) .......

I'm fine, thanks Dave, how about you? You seem to be having some difficulty with the above. Let me know which parts are causing the problem, and I'll try to clarify.

It may not be necessary to have a degree to do the job - but is essential if you want to get the job in the first place. ;-)

Well, these days I assume you wouldn't have hired him if he didn't have a degree. ;-)

As all it proves nowadays is that they paid a fortune for what I got paid to learn >:-) .......

Muppets.....

So let's see. Sort story.

You want a bridge built. You advertise for bridge builders. Up pops a girl and days I'm good at building bridges. You say OK, you're employed - you say you're good at building bridges, so you must be.

Next chapter?

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-08-26 11:13 AM

It may not be necessary to have a degree to do the job - but is essential if you want to get the job in the first place. ;-)

Well, these days I assume you wouldn't have hired him if he didn't have a degree. ;-)

Muppets.....

So let's see. Sort story.

You want a bridge built. You advertise for bridge builders. Up pops a girl and days I'm good at building bridges. You say OK, you're employed - you say you're good at building bridges, so you must be.

Next chapter?

Sorry for the delay.......I've got the builders in :D ........

If I needed a bridge built I would want to see examples of bridges they'd built ;-) ........

Not some piece of paper anyone with a computer can fake >:-) ..........

BTW I didn't ask the builder if he had a degree :-> ...........

I did my due diligence and looked for someone who has a history of being a GOOD builder >:-) .........

That said he's only doing the greenhouse base at the moment which will useful experience for us both B-) .........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-08-26 11:03 AM

I'm fine, thanks Dave, how about you? You seem to be having some difficulty with the above. Let me know which parts are causing the problem, and I'll try to clarify.

I don't need any clarification ;-) .........

As I'm not a parent who has suckered my offspring into 50K of debt 8-)........

But those 50% who didn't need to get a degree for their job have also lost out on 5 years of earnings, that they will only get back by working for longer 8-) 8-) ..........

So that Useless degree has cost 50k + lost earnings at minimum wage £58,695 = £108,695 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) .........

Damn I'm glad my parents weren't clever like you >:-) .........

maxresdefaultmuttley.thumb.jpg.e102d1b7e1d0419656be11bb7d656f0c.jpg

Archived