Trump's Last Throw of the Dice?

StuartO

Barryd999 - 2021-01-14 2:50 PM

jumpstart - 2021-01-14 2:29 PM

Violet1956 - 2021-01-14 1:49 PM

StuartO - 2021-01-14 9:27 AM

Gentlemen of Chatterbox, Birdbrain is resorting to side-tracking and provocative posts and throwing insults left right and centre to keep himself active on this (and other) threads, ignoring the widespread criticism he has faced, as if he was our own pestilent Donald Trump, careless of anyone's views other than his own and determined to bluster his way through. It makes no sense to respond to him any way.

I suggest everyone simply ignores his posts altogether from now on.

I think I may have urged forum members to ignore Antony in the past, On reflection I believe that would be a bad move. I disagree with him most of the time and am often irritated by his " whataboutery". He has alienated members of the forum by trotting out personal putdowns. Nevertheless, if you take out all of that c**p he has raised what I consider to be a valid point regarding Trump's behaviour. I have scoured all the news reports of Trump's exhortations to his followers. Nowhere can I find evidence of his support of the violence we all saw on the 6th January. I note that the draft impeachment refers to what was foreseeable rather than what Trump intended. If the test under US law is subjective i.e.what Trump could foresee as opposed to what "the reasonable man" would foresee then Trump cannot be held responsible for the egregious acts of his followers because he is an idiot.

He must have said ..i want you to " fight" about 30 times.

Fight is what they did.

Exactly! Not only him but the messages from Trump Jr and that odious perv Giuliani were absolutely clear. Well they were to me. Surprised at Veronicas post.

I guess its for the Judicial system and the impeachment trial to decide now. I suspect it will fail but maybe only just. Either way, I think the entire episode just showed Trump and his fanatical supporters up for what they are. Undemocratic Fascists. Perhaps with any luck its made moderate Trump supporters finally realise what they signed up to. I was hoping that perhaps Mr Birdbrain might have thought that also.

Whilst Trump is an immoral, lying and self-seeking megalomaniac who I detest I was intending to add to the debate by questioning one of the allegations in the draft impeachment. I do not profess to have the answer to that question because I am not an expert in either the US constitution or the criminal law that derives from it. It is not unreasonable in my view to question whether it can be proved that he incited his followers to commit unlawful acts by using any of the words he spoke when telling them that they should march on the Capitol. What Trump's son or that madman Giuliani said doesn't tell us what Trump's intentions were. Stuart has made the point that the answer is likely to be dictated by political considerations rather that an unbiased application of the law and I agree with him.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Violet1956 - 2021-01-14 4:49 PM

Gentlemen of Chatterbox, Birdbrain is resorting to side-tracking and provocative posts and throwing insults left right and centre to keep himself active on this (and other) threads, ignoring the widespread criticism he has faced, as if he was our own pestilent Donald Trump, careless of anyone's views other than his own and determined to bluster his way through. It makes no sense to respond to him any way.

I think I may have urged forum members to ignore Antony in the past, On reflection I believe that would be a bad move. I disagree with him most of the time and am often irritated by his " whataboutery". He has alienated members of the forum by trotting out personal putdowns. Nevertheless, if you take out all of that c**p he has raised what I consider to be a valid point regarding Trump's behaviour. I have scoured all the news reports of Trump's exhortations to his followers. Nowhere can I find evidence of his support of the violence we all saw on the 6th January. I note that the draft impeachment refers to what was foreseeable rather than what Trump intended. If the test under US law is subjective i.e.what Trump could foresee as opposed to what "the reasonable man" would foresee then Trump cannot be held responsible for the egregious acts of his followers because he is an idiot.

Fight is what they did.

Exactly! Not only him but the messages from Trump Jr and that odious perv Giuliani were absolutely clear. Well they were to me. Surprised at Veronicas post.

I guess its for the Judicial system and the impeachment trial to decide now. I suspect it will fail but maybe only just. Either way, I think the entire episode just showed Trump and his fanatical supporters up for what they are. Undemocratic Fascists. Perhaps with any luck its made moderate Trump supporters finally realise what they signed up to. I was hoping that perhaps Mr Birdbrain might have thought that also.

Whilst Trump is an immoral, lying and self-seeking megalomaniac who I detest I was intending to add to the debate by questioning one of the allegations in the draft impeachment. I do not profess to have the answer to that question because I am not an expert in either the US constitution or the criminal law that derives from it. It is not unreasonable in my view to question whether it can be proved that he incited his followers to commit unlawful acts by using any of the words he spoke when telling them that they should march on the Capitol. What Trump's son or that madman Giuliani said doesn't tell us what Trump's intentions were. Stuart has made the point that the answer is likely to be dictated by political considerations rather that an unbiased application of the law and I agree with him.

Perhaps but whether it can be proved or not in a court I dont know, you might be right. It seemed very much like incitement to me from all of them, not just Trump but I guess we will have to wait and see. My personal feeling is that it was planned, he knew what was going to happen and it probably explains why there was just a token gesture of law enforcement in place to prevent it. That of course is just my opinion and can probably not be proved.

Fight is what they did.

But Trump's actions in refusing to let the National Guard attend once it had all kicked off, an action that has to be sanctioned by him or his Secretary of Defense, that will be his final undoing.

Fight is what they did.

It is not unreasonable in my view to question whether it can be proved that he incited his followers to commit unlawful acts by using any of the words he spoke when telling them that they should march on the Capitol.

It's subtle Veronica. As Brian commented his 'speech' veers pretty much all over the place as is Trumps stock in trade when public speaking so lots of it is the usual waffling, lashings of self-praise, and droning on and on about election 'fraud'. Lots of talk about "them" and "they".......but never states exactly who 'them' and 'they' are supposed to be though it's obvious enough to his flock;

"We will not let them silence your voices. We’re not going to let it happen. Not going to let it happen." That was enough for the crowd to start chanting "Fight for Trump! Fight for Trump! Fight for Trump!"

There's lots of talk about 'fighting' but it's subtle. "Rudy, you did a great job. He’s got guts. You know what? He’s got guts, unlike a lot of people in the Republican party. He’s got guts, he fights. He fights, and I’ll tell you." A week later and Rudy is out of favour and Trump refuses to pay him. Nothing new there then!

"Many of you have traveled from all across the nation to be here, and I want to thank you for the extraordinary love. That’s what it is. There’s never been a movement like this ever, ever for the extraordinary love for this amazing country and this amazing movement."

Crowd is now well geared up....."We love Trump! We love Trump! We love Trump!"

Back to fighting; "Unbelievable, what we have to go through, what we have to go through and you have to get your people to fight. If they don’t fight, we have to primary the hell out of the ones that don’t fight."

"Mike Pence is going to have to come through for us. If he doesn’t, that will be a sad day for our country because you’re sworn to uphold our constitution. Now it is up to Congress to confront this egregious assault on our democracy. After this, we’re going to walk down and I’ll be there with you. We’re going to walk down. We’re going to walk down any one you want, but I think right here. We’re going walk down to the Capitol, and we’re going to cheer on our brave senators, and congressmen and women. We’re probably not going to be cheering so much for some of them because you’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength, and you have to be strong."

His followers walked........but where was their Dear Leader who had said "I’ll be there with you"? Nowhere to be seen......he'd run off to let them get on with it!

"Looking out at all the amazing patriots here today, I have never been more confident in our nation’s future.....

And we fight. We fight like Hell and if you don’t fight like Hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore."

So if you don't fight you are not a "patriot" in Trump world. The crowd was already fired up and came prepared for war. Guns, God, pitchforks and pipe bombs. They even brought a full size set of gallows ready for a spot of lynching. Trump was the primer who lit the fuse.....and then ran off.

Violet1956 - 2021-01-14 1:49 PM..................................

Hello Veronica. I think what he did falls into the category of smoking next to a powder keg. If it goes bang, don't be surprised! :-)

But then, who assembled the powder keg, handed round the cigarettes, failed to point out the risk, and then went home - only to later express surprise at the resulting explosion! Idiot? Can an idiot really become President of the USA? Would 70 million really vote for an idiot? Besides, is ascribing his actions (and inactions) to mental insufficiency (yes, I know!) really enough to excuse the actions of a 75 year old adult?

So if not an idiot, what? Desperate, reckless, and lacking foresight? I'm sure he didn't intend the actual outcome of his incitement, but given the highly charged temperament of the mob (who he'd been winding up for weeks), it is difficult to imagine that he couldn't foresee some risk that it could all get out of hand.

There is also the matter of why he decided to go home, instead of going with them (as he implied he would) to try to restrain the hotheads. One could have more faith in the claims that he didn't foresee the violence if he'd actively tried to restrain it once it began. Hardly the mark of a competent Commander in Chief, though?

But does that amount to an adequate ground for impeachment? We'll see. His best defence seems to be that he was elected, and as the electorate can hardly claim they didn't know what they were voting for, in the end it was all their fault, not his! :-D

Rep. Mikie Sherrill talks with Rachel Maddow about the investigation she and thirty other members of Congress have requested into an unusual number of tour groups being shown around the Capitol the day before Donald Trump supporters would rampage through the building, some with an apparently uncanny familiarity with the layout.

Growing concerns that there was definitely help from the inside.

Gentlemen of Chatterbox, Birdbrain has been resorting to side-tracking and provocative posts and throwing insults left right and centre to keep himself active on this (and other) threads, ignoring the widespread criticism he has faced, as if he was our own pestilent Donald Trump, careless of anyone's views other than his own and determined to bluster his way through. It makes no sense to respond to him any way.

I'm not trying to censor him, simply to discourage him from going OTT and behaving so badly towards others. I suggest everyone simply ignores his posts altogether for a couple of weeks to encourage the penny to drop that he should not be so habitually nasty. He has toned his insults down since I started posting these notices, so they are having a useful effect.

StuartO - 2021-01-15 8:19 AM

Gentlemen of Chatterbox, Birdbrain has been resorting to side-tracking and provocative posts and throwing insults left right and centre to keep himself active on this (and other) threads, ignoring the widespread criticism he has faced, as if he was our own pestilent Donald Trump, careless of anyone's views other than his own and determined to bluster his way through. It makes no sense to respond to him any way.

I'm not trying to censor him, simply to discourage him from going OTT and behaving so badly towards others. I suggest everyone simply ignores his posts altogether for a couple of weeks to encourage the penny to drop that he should not be so habitually nasty. He has toned his insults down since I started posting these notices, so they are having a useful effect.

I have security at my home by the way ... I installed it after another member on here gave out details of my home address so if you bully boys are thinking of coming here and stepping it up a gear you'll be very sorry

Birdbrain - 2021-01-15 9:06 AM.........................I have security at my home by the way ... I installed it after another member on here gave out details of my home address so if you bully boys are thinking of coming here and stepping it up a gear you'll be very sorry

Which he gained because you linked your business details, which included your address and phone number, to your profile, as I pointed out to you when you complained. So anyone could have done that and, given your needlessly abrasive posting style, probably did - if only to see if such a person actually existed, and if so, where. You can hardly blame the persecuted for wanting to know more about their persecutor, can you? Now you think you need security. Why? Lots of enemies? Why? Own goals! :-D

Birdbrain - 2021-01-15 9:06 AM

StuartO - 2021-01-15 8:19 AM

I have security at my home by the way ... I installed it after another member on here gave out details of my home address so if you bully boys are thinking of coming here and stepping it up a gear you'll be very sorry

If you are worried that armed and dangerous Chatterbollox members are going to storm Birdbrain Towers I have Dave Pelmets email address, You could always go and stay in his Brexit Caravan until it all blows over.

Brian Kirby - 2021-01-15 10:40 AM

Birdbrain - 2021-01-14 7:19 PM

Chuckle ... The forums high and mighty dont act so high and mighty with Veronica ... Chuckle ... You there Stuart ???

Now, why might that be? Tricky, innit? :-D

Not tricky at all ... The simple truth is that most of the time Veronicas view fits in with most others views on here ... Mine doesnt ... Nothing tricky ... You seem to have broken the very grown up Stuart ban

Brian Kirby - 2021-01-15 10:51 AM

Birdbrain - 2021-01-15 9:06 AM.........................I have security at my home by the way ... I installed it after another member on here gave out details of my home address so if you bully boys are thinking of coming here and stepping it up a gear you'll be very sorry

Which he gained because you linked your business details, which included your address and phone number, to your profile, as I pointed out to you when you complained. So anyone could have done that and, given your needlessly abrasive posting style, probably did - if only to see if such a person actually existed, and if so, where. You can hardly blame the persecuted for wanting to know more about their persecutor, can you? Now you think you need security. Why? Lots of enemies? Why? Own goals! :-D

You seem to be excusing that another member on here, one I havent ever met or have any intention of meeting tracked down my home address and published details about it on here and because you claim I have an abrasive posting style ... Wow

I'm not trying to censor him, simply to discourage him from going OTT and behaving so badly towards others. I suggest everyone simply ignores his posts altogether for a couple of weeks to encourage the penny to drop that he should not be so habitually nasty.

StuartO - 2021-01-15 2:51 PM

I'm not trying to censor him, simply to discourage him from going OTT and behaving so badly towards others. I suggest everyone simply ignores his posts altogether for a couple of weeks to encourage the penny to drop that he should not be so habitually nasty.

The forums new SS leader speaks

Birdbrain - 2021-01-15 1:22 PM

Chuckle ... The forums high and mighty dont act so high and mighty with Veronica ... Chuckle ... You there Stuart ???

Not tricky at all ... The simple truth is that most of the time Veronicas view fits in with most others views on here ... Mine doesnt ... Nothing tricky ... You seem to have broken the very grown up Stuart ban

No, that is not the case at all. When Veronica disagrees she does so politely, intelligently, without insult put-down or innuendo, and usually also says why she disagrees, even in the face of some of your belittling replies. That is the difference, and no "fights" then break out. QED?

Brian Kirby - 2021-01-15 7:12 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-01-15 1:22 PM

No, that is not the case at all. When Veronica disagrees she does so politely, intelligently, without insult put-down or innuendo, and usually also says why she disagrees, even in the face of some of your belittling replies. That is the difference, and no "fights" then break out. QED?

"belittling replies" like when you called the fella you now back Stuart a "racist" you mean simply because you disagreed with him ??? ... The righteous of the forum make me wanna honk

Just how bad Trumpism gets when school pupils are being radicalised and indoctrinated by their school teacher.

A Burlington teacher, Jeff Taff, who went to D.C. and shared voter fraud conspiracies with students. He told students he would travel to Washington, D.C., to stand up for "election integrity" and shared voter fraud conspiracy theories in class.

Burlington parent Jon Phetteplace whose son was in Taff's class said, "I couldn't believe it. It's completely inappropriate," said Phetteplace. "You're there to teach. You're not there to indoctrinate, especially with something that is not fact."

Phetteplace asked his son if his teacher made other comments that made him uncomfortable and his son told him that Taff believed the coronavirus was "a hoax."

“That made him uncomfortable because his mom, my wife, is an ER nurse,” Phetteplace said.

His son also mentioned Taff made comments suggesting Jewish people created lies that led to "allowing themselves to be killed" in the Holocaust. “That’s something that stood out because my wife, she is Jewish,” Phetteplace said. “My son, after hearing the comments on the Holocaust, was physically shaken from it.”

https://eu.jsonline.com/story/news/2021/01/07/burlington-history-teacher-went-trump-d-c-protest-leave/6587821002/

Bulletguy - 2021-01-15 8:15 PM

Just how bad Trumpism gets when school pupils are being radicalised and indoctrinated by their school teacher.

A Burlington teacher, Jeff Taff, who went to D.C. and shared voter fraud conspiracies with students. He told students he would travel to Washington, D.C., to stand up for "election integrity" and shared voter fraud conspiracy theories in class.

Burlington parent Jon Phetteplace whose son was in Taff's class said, "I couldn't believe it. It's completely inappropriate," said Phetteplace. "You're there to teach. You're not there to indoctrinate, especially with something that is not fact."

Phetteplace asked his son if his teacher made other comments that made him uncomfortable and his son told him that Taff believed the coronavirus was "a hoax."

“That made him uncomfortable because his mom, my wife, is an ER nurse,” Phetteplace said.

His son also mentioned Taff made comments suggesting Jewish people created lies that led to "allowing themselves to be killed" in the Holocaust. “That’s something that stood out because my wife, she is Jewish,” Phetteplace said. “My son, after hearing the comments on the Holocaust, was physically shaken from it.”

https://eu.jsonline.com/story/news/2021/01/07/burlington-history-teacher-went-trump-d-c-protest-leave/6587821002/

Lack of proper education.

Archived