UK's deaths from COVID........Are unknown.....

Guest pelmetman

pelmetman - 2021-02-20 4:48 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-02-20 4:44 PM

pelmetman - 2021-02-20 4:21 PM

PMSL!!!.......Rear Admiral CowPat (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

So go on then share the joke?

"I've got a f*!king fleet".........

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) ...........

Now I know you were just a Cabin Boy, but those of us with a university education know that: "One meaning of fleet comes from the Old English fleot, meaning “ship,” “raft,” or “floating vessel.” Although a fleet is usually a group of ships or airplanes operating under the same ownership, any group of vessels sailing together can be called a fleet, even you and your friends in a fleet of kayaks. "

So as I've got three sea kayaks, two white water kayaks, one touring canoe, one white water canoe - I'd call that a fleet.

And as I said being a RYA examiner I can jump on lots of boats all around the country and get paid to play on them without the costs of boat ownership, or the grief of towing one behind my motorhome like some mugs do.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-02-20 5:21 PM

Now I know you were just a Cabin Boy, but those of us with a university education know that: "One meaning of fleet comes from the Old English fleot, meaning “ship,” “raft,” or “floating vessel.” Although a fleet is usually a group of ships or airplanes operating under the same ownership, any group of vessels sailing together can be called a fleet, even you and your friends in a fleet of kayaks. "

So as I've got three sea kayaks, two white water kayaks, one touring canoe, one white water canoe - I'd call that a fleet.

And as I said being a RYA examiner I can jump on lots of boats all around the country and get paid to play on them without the costs of boat ownership, or the grief of towing one behind my motorhome.

"I'd call that a fleet."

Oooh get you :D ........

But I wouldn't call any of them a boat or a yacht ;-) ..........

In 2019 a boat like Wot we had parked at the end of our beach......which woz before I knew we would be moving here.......perhaps it was a omen? B-) .........

871929095_Royale34.JPG.2a8810b5e7bd39cc9da9614502a9a4d3.JPG

What are cytokine storms and what do they have to do with COVID-19?

A cytokine storm is an overreaction of the body's immune system. In some people with COVID-19, the immune system releases immune messengers, called cytokines, into the bloodstream out of proportion to the threat or long after the virus is no longer a threat.

When this happens, the immune system attacks the body's own tissues, potentially causing significant harm. A cytokine storm triggers an exaggerated inflammatory response that may damage the liver, blood vessels, kidneys, and lungs, and increase formation of blood clots throughout the body. Ultimately, the cytokine storm may cause more harm than the coronavirus itself.

A simple blood test can help determine whether someone with COVID-19 may be experiencing a cytokine storm. Many doctors, including those in the United States, have been treating very ill COVID-19 patients with dexamethasone and other corticosteroids (prednisone, methylprednisolone). Corticosteroids are potent anti-inflammatory drugs and thus make biologic sense for those patients who have developed an exaggerated inflammatory response to the viral infection.

Excuse me whilst I have another yogurt....

pelmetman - 2021-02-20 5:27 PM

And as I said being a RYA examiner I can jump on lots of boats all around the country and get paid to play on them without the costs of boat ownership, or the grief of towing one behind my motorhome.

"I'd call that a fleet."

In 2019 a boat like Wot we had parked at the end of our beach......which woz before I knew we would be moving here.......perhaps it was a omen? B-) .........

Well we know that you have a limited understanding of the English language but in law, a kayak or canoe is considered to be a boat.

I never said it was a yacht, I don't want a yacht they're horribly expensive floating cash extractors, and as I can borrow one whenever I want why would i need to own one - only mugs do as a status symbol. When was the last time you took yours out on the open sea?

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-02-20 5:34 PM

"I'd call that a fleet."

Well we know that you have a limited understanding of the English language but in law, a kayak or canoe is considered to be a boat.

I never said it was a yacht, I don't want a yacht they're horribly expensive floating cash extractors, and as I can borrow one whenever I want why would i need to own one - only mugs do as a status symbol. When was the last time you took yours out on the open sea?

Hmmm when I bought it at Poole to take it to Weymouth......and then too Portsmouth and trips inbetween :D .........

Now would you like to compare how much time you have spent at sea with me??? ;-) .......

Methinks you'll need to get a bigger Willy to wave >:-) ........

(lol) (lol) (lol) .......

pelmetman - 2021-02-20 5:39 PM

"I'd call that a fleet."

Hmmm when I bought it at Poole to take it to Weymouth......and then too Portsmouth and trips inbetween :D .........

Now would you like to compare how much time you have spent at sea with me??? ;-) .......

Would you like to compare how much time you have spent at sea in charge of the vessel rather than being told what to do by your superior officer?

pelmetman - 2021-02-20 10:35 AM

If the figures for those who died "with" COVID are not accurate :-| .........

"My dad Ted passed three Covid tests and died of a chronic illness yet he's officially one of Britain's 120,000 victims of the virus and is far from alone... so how many more are there?"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9279767/BEL-MOONEY-dad-died-chronic-illness-hes-officially-Covid-victim.html

I suspect our Boris Bashers wont like that ;-) ..........

Anyway getting back to the OP.

There are two sides to this.

One is that a death is recorded as including CV-19, even though the person might have died soon anyway.

The other is, if the death is more than 28 days after a test, then it isn't recorded on the daily figures, even if the death was due to problems from CV-19.

Your guess as to if these balance out.

What is more to the point is the excess deaths during the pandemic, last time I looked these exceeded the official CV-19 deaths.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-02-20 5:48 PM

"I'd call that a fleet."

Would you like to compare how much time you have spent at sea in charge of the vessel rather than being told what to do by your superior officer?

To be fair to Dave, by the way he writes, he seems to be all at sea most of the time.

( i.e. Floundering )

;-)

The coronavirus (COVID-19) was the leading cause of death in December 2020 for the second consecutive month in both England (accounting for 20.8% of all deaths registered in December) and in Wales (27.4% of all deaths); dementia and Alzheimer's disease was the second leading cause of death in both countries, with COVID-19 accounting for more than double the second leading cause in England and more than triple in Wales.

Which just shows 80% of deaths were other than covid .

Guest pelmetman

"I'd call that a fleet."

We were taught how to sail bigger boats than yours in our basic training ;-) ..........

I'd already learn't how to Kyak and manage small boats in the Sea Cadets :D .........

Besides what command descions do you need to make? :-S .......

Shall we paddle up the river ....or down the river (lol) (lol) (lol) .......

pelmetman - 2021-02-20 6:24 PM

"I'd call that a fleet."

We were taught how to sail bigger boats than yours in our basic training ;-) ..........

I'd already learn't how to Kyak and manage small boats in the Sea Cadets :D .........

Except my RYA tickets relate to big boats.

And when you are instructing / and or examining people you get to make quite a lot of command decisions, certainly more than the Cabin Boy.

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-02-20 6:36 PM

pelmetman - 2021-02-20 6:24 PM

"I'd call that a fleet."

Except my RYA tickets relate to big boats.

And when you are instructing / and or examining people you get to make quite a lot of command decisions, certainly more than the Cabin Boy.

You mean like those bigger boats like wot I had? ;-) .........

How ever did I manage wiv outa RYA certficate? 8-) ........

thebishbus - 2021-02-21 8:13 AM

( prov Jan -Dec ) 608,841.

Brian B.

Would have thought they would know by now how many people died?

Unless they are still waiting for Hancock to do his 'homework' on the statistics before we are allowed to see them

Like his Crony Contracts that are taking him more than the legal maximum of 30 days to upload to the web.

Of course its going to be an under estimate because it can't take into account those who will die sooner because they can't get Hospital treatment like the Duke of Edinburgh, because hospitals are too busy.

But when they do finally release the death statistics they must already have, it must be a better guide than we have so far?

Just looked up the ons.gov UK figures for total yearly death rates for England & Wales in thousands.

2013 -- 506.790. 2014 -- 501,424. 2015 -- 529.655 2016 -- 525,048 2017 -- 533.253. 2018 -- 541,589

2019 -- 530,841. 2020 -- ( prov Jan -Dec ) 608,841.

Brian B.

Just looked up the ons.gov UK figures for total yearly death rates for England & Wales in thousands.

2013 -- 506.790. 2014 -- 501,424. 2015 -- 529.655 2016 -- 525,048 2017 -- 533.253. 2018 -- 541,589

Brian B.

And as shown previously only in Nov and Dec was Covid deaths greater than other deaths .

Guest pelmetman

Brian B.

That's interesting ;-) ...........

So our excess deaths appear to be between 70 and 80 thousand :-| .........

That will put us much further down the COVID scoreboard ;-) ........

I'm convinced that the future investigations into how the UK handled the Pandemic, Brexit Blighty will prove to have made more Right decsions than wrong :-) .........

Unlike the EU *-) ..........

pelmetman - 2021-02-21 9:57 AM

Brian B.

I'm convinced that the future investigations into how the UK handled the Pandemic, Brexit Blighty will prove to have made more Right decsions than wrong :-) .........

Actually it puts us up near the top of the CV-19 death list, and highlights the governments shortcommings.

'Almost 80,000 more people in England and Wales died last year than the preceding 5-year average, and the death toll continues to rise at a shocking rate. In 2020, the UK had one of the highest rates of excess deaths in the world, with more excess deaths per million people than most other European countries and the US.

‘It will take a public inquiry to determine exactly what went wrong, with the UK’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic but mistakes have been made. In a pandemic, mistakes cost lives. Decisions to enter lockdown have consistently come late, with the government failing to learn from past mistakes or the experiences of other countries. The promised “protective ring” around social care in the first wave was slow to materialise and often inadequate, a contributing factor to the 26,200 excess deaths among care home residents last year.

Brian B.

Don’t forget it still means less people overall died from “other” reasons as deaths from Covid was higher.

It will also probably mean greater number of deaths from now for cancer and other undiagnosed reasons.

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2021-02-21 10:04 AM

Brian B.

Actually it puts us up near the top of the CV-19 death list, and highlights the governments shortcommings.

'Almost 80,000 more people in England and Wales died last year than the preceding 5-year average, and the death toll continues to rise at a shocking rate. In 2020, the UK had one of the highest rates of excess deaths in the world, with more excess deaths per million people than most other European countries and the US.

‘It will take a public inquiry to determine exactly what went wrong, with the UK’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic but mistakes have been made. In a pandemic, mistakes cost lives. Decisions to enter lockdown have consistently come late, with the government failing to learn from past mistakes or the experiences of other countries. The promised “protective ring” around social care in the first wave was slow to materialise and often inadequate, a contributing factor to the 26,200 excess deaths among care home residents last year.

I disagree ;-) ...........

So do the Facts :-| ........

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker

Looks like we're 17th (^) ........

Do you agree? ;-) ..........

Guest pelmetman

Here's another interesting FACT from the Economists data ;-) .........

The UK and Belgium appear to be the only 2 countries who have claimed more COVID deaths than our excess death rate :-| ..........

Which adds credence to the DM article that I linked to when I started this thread.........

Just found another 2 ......France and Israel ;-) .........

pelmetman - 2021-02-21 10:20 AM

Brian B.

I agree with the link you have posted, which confirms my post, we have one of the highest rates of excess deaths in the world, which is also higher than most European countries and the US.

colin - 2021-02-21 12:27 PM

pelmetman - 2021-02-21 10:20 AM

Brian B.

I agree with the link you have posted, which confirms my post, we have one of the highest rates of excess deaths in the world, which is also higher than most European countries and the US.

Well skewered!

Archived