Where have all the waiters gone?

Bulletguy

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CurtainRaiser - 2021-06-02 8:48 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-06-02 5:47 PM

As for Mr Martin, looks a bit like fake news, which from the squad aint nowt new

Pleased that you have finally recognized that the Torygraph is fake news.

Chuckle ... When you know youve made a boo-boo

Bulletguy - 2021-06-02 6:51 PM

Barryd999 - 2021-06-02 10:06 AM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-06-01 10:32 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-06-01 8:28 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-06-01 8:04 PM

So who to believe? The directors of the Cumbria Chamber of Commerce and Cumbria Tourism, or Tweetiepie?

Well it looks like the survey carried out by the paper provides a accurate answer.

Our survey says:

223 vacancies across 75 establishments.

Average of three vacancies per establishment.

75% of establishments are hiring now.

71% of places hiring need front of house and 65% need chefs.

A quarter of places not hiring have just taken on new staff.

Most in need: 1: Derwenidioter Hotel, Portinscale (19); 2: North Lakes Hotel, Penrith (15): 3: Another Place, the Lake, Ullswater (12).

Lordy ... I point out numerous times I have had no issue with what the Hollywood OP claimed, "theres no one to pull your great British pint" and you go all tizzy ... I have had numerous pints and theres always been someone to pull it which totally goes against what the OP was boldly claiming ... As for Cumbria it has always had issues with hospitality employment, my daughter and SIL were both at university in Cumbria and never had any shortage of hospitality jobs while there ... Try again, if you must

Tim Martin then?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/06/01/wetherspoons-boss-calls-eu-migration-tackle-bar-staff-shortage/

You really couldnt make it up. Also here if your not a Torygraph subscriber https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/wetherspoons-boss-tim-martin-calls-for-more-eu-migration-help-staff-bars-brexit/

Never mind. The bars will be stuffed full of Indians and Hong Kongers soon.

Probably his staff have done what he told them to do last year.

https://tinyurl.com/5c77zuvy

The bloke is a despicable two faced hypocrite and wanted Brexit but now it's backfired on him he's changed his tune. I've no sympathy as he's brought it on himself. He could of course simply pay a better wage and offer decent working conditions so that he can attract UK nationals. After all, part of the reason people wanted Brexit in the first place because they claimed FOM apparently depressed wages.

LOL! Can you imagine his customers reaction (who all voted for Brexit) when they go for their warm piss beer breakfast and its doubled in price because Tims had to pay a decent wage to attract British workers?

It just staggers me how someone so Dim who can hardly string two words together has built up such a huge chain of pubs and been so successful.

Barryd999 - 2021-06-03 8:16 AM

So who to believe? The directors of the Cumbria Chamber of Commerce and Cumbria Tourism, or Tweetiepie?

Well it looks like the survey carried out by the paper provides a accurate answer.

Our survey says:

Most in need: 1: Derwenidioter Hotel, Portinscale (19); 2: North Lakes Hotel, Penrith (15): 3: Another Place, the Lake, Ullswater (12).

Lordy ... I point out numerous times I have had no issue with what the Hollywood OP claimed, "theres no one to pull your great British pint" and you go all tizzy ... I have had numerous pints and theres always been someone to pull it which totally goes against what the OP was boldly claiming ... As for Cumbria it has always had issues with hospitality employment, my daughter and SIL were both at university in Cumbria and never had any shortage of hospitality jobs while there ... Try again, if you must

Tim Martin then?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/06/01/wetherspoons-boss-calls-eu-migration-tackle-bar-staff-shortage/

You really couldnt make it up. Also here if your not a Torygraph subscriber https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/wetherspoons-boss-tim-martin-calls-for-more-eu-migration-help-staff-bars-brexit/

The bloke is a despicable two faced hypocrite and wanted Brexit but now it's backfired on him he's changed his tune. I've no sympathy as he's brought it on himself. He could of course simply pay a better wage and offer decent working conditions so that he can attract UK nationals. After all, part of the reason people wanted Brexit in the first place because they claimed FOM apparently depressed wages.

LOL! Can you imagine his customers reaction (who all voted for Brexit) when they go for their warm piss beer breakfast and its doubled in price because Tims had to pay a decent wage to attract British workers?

It just staggers me how someone so Dim who can hardly string two words together has built up such a huge chain of pubs and been so successful.

Hes successful because he provides reasonable meals and drinks at reasonable prices which seems to irritate you ... Your fellow hatey type has already again looked foolish on the thread with his Hollywood claim, maybe you can let us all in when your Hollywood "doubled in price" claim becomes reality and then I can tell my SIL who voted Remain as he enjoys the odd meal in a Wetherspoons ... You people

Birdbrain - 2021-06-03 8:55 AM

Our survey says:

Tim Martin then?

Hes successful because he provides reasonable meals and drinks at reasonable prices which seems to irritate you ... Your fellow hatey type has already again looked foolish on the thread with his Hollywood claim, maybe you can let us all in when your Hollywood "doubled in price" claim becomes reality and then I can tell my SIL who voted Remain as he enjoys the odd meal in a Wetherspoons ... You people

He's successful because he exploits his staff and suppliers.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-06-03 9:09 AM

Our survey says:

Tim Martin then?

Chuckle ... I dont recall anyone ever saying old Tim forced any of his staff to work at Wetherspoons ... As far as exploiting suppliers goes you have I presume heard of buying power, the larger and more successful a company becomes then that company can negotate better terms from their suppliers ... Its a bit like when you happily go to the supermarket to do your shopping rather than the corner shop and you pay less at the supermarket because they have better buying power, that of course as usual wont hypocritically bother ya ... Its obvious you hate him for no other reason than he voted leave ... Yuk

Birdbrain - 2021-06-03 11:30 AM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-06-03 9:09 AM

Our survey says:

Tim Martin then?

Chuckle ... I dont recall anyone ever saying old Tim forced any of his staff to work at Wetherspoons ... As far as exploiting suppliers goes you have I presume heard of buying power, the larger and more successful a company becomes then that company can negotate better terms from their suppliers ... Its a bit like when you happily go to the supermarket to do your shopping rather than the corner shop and you pay less at the supermarket because they have better buying power, that of course as usual wont hypocritically bother ya ... Its obvious you hate him for no other reason than he voted leave ... Yuk

And I presume you heard that he tried to lay off all his staff without pay and refused to pay his suppliers at the beginning of the pandemic.

So it seems the news about the Lake District in dire trouble with staffing problems is of course true. 68% of businesses are struggling with staffing issues. My local news channel includes Cumbria and they just ran a piece on it and interviewed some local hoteliers. The main reason? Of course, Brexit! 50% of their staff come from the EU or at least they did. Many places are having to reduce opening times and in the case of hotels the number of rooms available. The are calling on the government to change their immigration policy. LOL. Good luck with that one.

It was always going to happen. I predicted exactly this way back because the Lake district relies on staff so much from the EU as its a large area with pretty much zero unemployment. Workers from other counties simply dont want to go and work there.

Bit more here. This report also cites other reasons but its clear from todays news and from the actual business owners that Brexit is to blame.

https://cumbriacrack.com/2021/06/04/scale-of-staff-recruitment-challenge-doubled-in-month-cumbria/

Barryd999 - 2021-06-04 1:45 PM

So it seems the news about the Lake District in dire trouble with staffing problems is of course true. 68% of businesses are struggling with staffing issues. My local news channel includes Cumbria and they just ran a piece on it and interviewed some local hoteliers. The main reason? Of course, Brexit! 50% of their staff come from the EU or at least they did. Many places are having to reduce opening times and in the case of hotels the number of rooms available. The are calling on the government to change their immigration policy. LOL. Good luck with that one.

It was always going to happen. I predicted exactly this way back because the Lake district relies on staff so much from the EU as its a large area with pretty much zero unemployment. Workers from other counties simply dont want to go and work there.

Bit more here. This report also cites other reasons but its clear from todays news and from the actual business owners that Brexit is to blame.

https://cumbriacrack.com/2021/06/04/scale-of-staff-recruitment-challenge-doubled-in-month-cumbria/

They need to contact Brainfarts SIL and daughter as it seems they spent their time serving the Cumbrian hospitality industry. (lol)

For too long the industry has relied on paying low wages for working long and unsocial hours, well those times are disappearing. Many where laid off and realised there where other opportunities out there and are not going back.

Im up at Ullswater kayaking tomorrow and then I do believe we are going to Penrith for a meal so hopefully I can update on staff shortages here, there and everywhere, just like in france and Germany which is ignored by the hate club ... Sad people ... I have yet to find anywhere where theres no one to pull that great British pint as the OP all Hollywood style claimed ... Chuckle

colin - 2021-06-04 5:44 PM

For too long the industry has relied on paying low wages for working long and unsocial hours, well those times are disappearing. Many where laid off and realised there where other opportunities out there and are not going back.

It's an industry that pays what it needs and can afford. If wages go up expect the price of a pint and pub lunch to follow.

But its also a industry that historically has provided employment to students from both here and abroad, even thirty years ago I worked in a bar whilst a student in a bar in Liverpool, I also spent a season working in a ski resort in France when I graduated before I started a proper job. The other side of that equation was the young Europeans working in the hospitality industry here. That path to cultural enrichment is now closed.

In the lake district the hospitality industry has always employed students, but there aren't enough to go around, so 40% of the staff were European. Not anymore. There is just 1% unemployment, it's a ageing population so any hope of filling these roles is fanciful. Hence the outcry from the industry.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-06-04 7:46 PM

It's an industry that pays what it needs and can afford. If wages go up expect the price of a pint and pub lunch to follow.

But its also a industry that historically has provided employment to students from both here and abroad, even thirty years ago I worked in a bar whilst a student in a bar in Liverpool, I also spent a season working in a ski resort in France when I graduated before I started a proper job. The other side of that equation was the young Europeans working in the hospitality industry here. That path to cultural enrichment is now closed.

In the lake district the hospitality industry has always employed students, but there aren't enough to go around, so 40% of the staff were European. Not anymore. There is just 1% unemployment, it's a ageing population so any hope of filling these roles is fanciful. Hence the outcry from the industry.

Yes ... According to Barry the price of that pint is going to double ... He didn't give a date by when that would happen but its sure a great Hollywood type headline

It's always been poorly paid and Brexiteers blamed it on those funny foreigner folk for keeping the wages low. But now they've gone and aren't coming back, so now is their chance for people like Brexiteers champion Tim Witherspoon to pay a decent wage to British workers instead of wailing he now wants EU workers......that ship sailed and they aren't coming back.

Brexiteers will have to start paying more for their booze 'n food. After all.......it's what they voted for. (lol)

Birdbrain - 2021-06-04 7:42 PM

Im up at Ullswater kayaking tomorrow and then I do believe we are going to Penrith for a meal so hopefully I can update on staff shortages here, there and everywhere, just like in france and Germany which is ignored by the hate club ... Sad people ... I have yet to find anywhere where theres no one to pull that great British pint as the OP all Hollywood style claimed ... Chuckle

Yes me too! Of course just because you waltz into one place and there seems to be plenty of staff does not mean there isnt a problem which there clearly is as 68% of lakeland business owners say there is! Are they making it up?

Penrith is not typical either, its a working town on the M6 on the edge of the Lake District and the people working there are generally locals much more than in the heart of the Lake District. I had boats on Windermere and Ullswater for years and many friends there with businesses and all of them employed foreign workers because they really had no choice.

Barryd999 - 2021-06-04 9:21 PM

Yes me too! Of course just because you waltz into one place and there seems to be plenty of staff does not mean there isnt a problem which there clearly is as 68% of lakeland business owners say there is! Are they making it up?

Penrith is not typical either, its a working town on the M6 on the edge of the Lake District and the people working there are generally locals much more than in the heart of the Lake District. I had boats on Windermere and Ullswater for years and many friends there with businesses and all of them employed foreign workers because they really had no choice.

Its uncomfortable I know but I have waltzed into a lot more than just one place and had no issues ... I believe it was you or one of your fellow fairy tail story tellers that had to back track on Tim Martin the other day ... If you manage to look at staffing in hospitality without your hate goggles on then maybe you might see that because of covid and UK staycations all tourist areas are having a boom so demand is going to be unusually high, the same can be said of France and Germany who also have hospitality staffing issues which you choose to ignore ... The fella on here that originally posted the claim that there would be no one to pull that great British pint has been made to look rather foolish once again and you, him and the gang dont like folk like me pointing that out

Birdbrain - 2021-06-05 5:15 AM

Barryd999 - 2021-06-04 9:21 PM

Its uncomfortable I know but I have waltzed into a lot more than just one place and had no issues ... I believe it was you or one of your fellow fairy tail story tellers that had to back track on Tim Martin the other day ... If you manage to look at staffing in hospitality without your hate goggles on then maybe you might see that because of covid and UK staycations all tourist areas are having a boom so demand is going to be unusually high, the same can be said of France and Germany who also have hospitality staffing issues which you choose to ignore ... The fella on here that originally posted the claim that there would be no one to pull that great British pint has been made to look rather foolish once again and you, him and the gang dont like folk like me pointing that out

Hotels in the Lake district are used to being at full capacity in the summer. As said 68% of them are struggling with staffing issues mainly because of a lack of EU workers so Brexit is chiefly to blame. Demand will be high but many are turning people away because they no longer have the staff to cope.

You can deny it all you want or use your own experience of the odd bar you have been in but I think I would prefer to believe what over two thirds of Lake District business owners are telling us.

I have no idea what you are on about re Dim Tim Martin.

Bulletguy - 2021-06-04 9:11 PM

It's always been poorly paid and Brexiteers blamed it on those funny foreigner folk for keeping the wages low. But now they've gone and aren't coming back, so now is their chance for people like Brexiteers champion Tim Witherspoon to pay a decent wage to British workers instead of wailing he now wants EU workers......that ship sailed and they aren't coming back.

Brexiteers will have to start paying more for their booze 'n food. After all.......it's what they voted for. (lol)

I am not a Brexteer, but have clearly seen how the likes of Wetherspoons and care companies have used 'cheap' EU labour to keep costs low. As you say, those days have gone and we are now having to think about the rising costs of paying a decent living wage.

"No one to serve your great British pint" update ... We were expecting to go very hungry and very thirsty in Penrith given the well informed warning on here by the OP but to our pleasant surprise though busy because of the beautiful weather The Board and Elbow managed very well to pull pints and serve food with what sounded like English staff ... Hoping to get back the lakes for a few days in a couple of weeks and then we have a music festival so more updates on the desperate situation to follow

Birdbrain - 2021-06-06 7:08 AM

"No one to serve your great British pint" update ... We were expecting to go very hungry and very thirsty in Penrith given the well informed warning on here by the OP but to our pleasant surprise though busy because of the beautiful weather The Board and Elbow managed very well to pull pints and serve food with what sounded like English staff ... Hoping to get back the lakes for a few days in a couple of weeks and then we have a music festival so more updates on the desperate situation to follow

Like I said, Penrith is probably not so badly hit as its a large working town with a large (for Cumbria) "local" population. Did you go in any of the shops or bars? They will also be mainly staffed by locals, you can tell as they all have the same accent. (I can do a great Cumbrian accent by the way). The rest of the Lake District however is a different matter and you can deny there is a problem all you want but 68% of business owners say that there is.

Barryd999 - 2021-06-06 9:26 AM

Like I said, Penrith is probably not so badly hit as its a large working town with a large (for Cumbria) "local" population. Did you go in any of the shops or bars? They will also be mainly staffed by locals, you can tell as they all have the same accent. (I can do a great Cumbrian accent by the way). The rest of the Lake District however is a different matter and you can deny there is a problem all you want but 68% of business owners say that there is.

I know you know best as always but just take a look at the Penrith wiki link, concentrate on the opening line about the economy ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrith,_Cumbria ... As for denying there is a problem, I havent ... I have simply offered what I have found out and about and that contradicts the OPs wild, Hollywood claim ... France and Germany seem to have a problem with hospitality workers n'all which you seem to want to ignore so I would "plead" with you as Brian puts it to look with "unbiased" Tory hate goggles and look at the bigger picture

Birdbrain - 2021-06-06 9:55 AM

I know you know best as always but just take a look at the Penrith wiki link, concentrate on the opening line about the economy ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrith,_Cumbria ... As for denying there is a problem, I havent ... I have simply offered what I have found out and about and that contradicts the OPs wild, Hollywood claim ... France and Germany seem to have a problem with hospitality workers n'all which you seem to want to ignore so I would "plead" with you as Brian puts it to look with "unbiased" Tory hate goggles and look at the bigger picture

Yes it says "As a small market town relying quite heavily on the tourist trade, Penrith benefits from a mix of some high street chain stores and many small local specialist shops. However, many shops have given way to businesses such as banks, building societies and travel agents."

Its still a working town with a population of 15000+ and very few foreign workers compared to other parts of the lake district. I practically had a second home there for years when I had a boat on Ullswater. I have lots of friends there so I know it well and the people. All the pubs, bars and hotels I used to frequent in the rest of the lake district were predominately staffed by Europeans. I think its something like 47% overall were European staff but in the areas away from the large towns like Penrith, Workington etc that percentage is or was much higher. Thats mainly where the issue now is and its mainly down to one thing, Brexit.

Barryd999 - 2021-06-06 10:30 AM

Yes it says "As a small market town relying quite heavily on the tourist trade, Penrith benefits from a mix of some high street chain stores and many small local specialist shops. However, many shops have given way to businesses such as banks, building societies and travel agents."

Its still a working town with a population of 15000+ and very few foreign workers compared to other parts of the lake district. I practically had a second home there for years when I had a boat on Ullswater. I have lots of friends there so I know it well and the people. All the pubs, bars and hotels I used to frequent in the rest of the lake district were predominately staffed by Europeans. I think its something like 47% overall were European staff but in the areas away from the large towns like Penrith, Workington etc that percentage is or was much higher. Thats mainly where the issue now is and its mainly down to one thing, Brexit.

I think thats you accepting Penrith relies "heavily on the tourist trade" ... As for "practically" living in Penrith, my daughter did live in Penrith for 4 years so maybe there aint much you can tell me about the pubs and eating out spots ... You blame supposed staffing shortages here in Blighty on "one thing"' Brexit, does the same apply to France and Germanys hospitality staff shortages???

Birdbrain - 2021-06-06 11:07 AM

Barryd999 - 2021-06-06 10:30 AM

I think thats you accepting Penrith relies "heavily on the tourist trade" ... As for "practically" living in Penrith, my daughter did live in Penrith for 4 years so maybe there aint much you can tell me about the pubs and eating out spots ... You blame supposed staffing shortages here in Blighty on "one thing"' Brexit, does the same apply to France and Germanys hospitality staff shortages???

Ask your daughter then if she agrees with what I said regarding Penrith. I bet she does.

As for France and Germany, well according to your article you linked to it seems during lockdown a lot of workers in hospitality just found better jobs or had a rethink of professions. Thats potentially a double whammy for us then as if less foreign workers are wanting to work in hospitality and they cant come and work here anyway or dont want to due to our hostile environment that Brexit has created then it just makes the problem worse.

Archived