BP shut down some petrol stations

Bulletguy

Tracker - 2021-09-27 7:11 PM

...Over to you Derek!!

I’ve decided to let this thread run in the hope that it will be a shining example to the Administrator of what the Chatterbox forum has turned into.

Having thought about this, if Chatterbox is to be used solely for no-holds-barred political ‘soapboxing’ and that’s considered OK by the powers that be, it might be better to change the Chatterbox forum’s title to reflect that usage and have another much more tightly controlled forum for occasional miscellaneous subjects.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CurtainRaiser - 2021-09-28 9:27 AM

pelmetman - 2021-09-28 8:23 AM

John52 - 2021-09-27 3:17 PM

pelmetman - 2021-09-27 1:48 PM

So I guess the Haulage Association will have to invest in British drivers after all B-) .........

Why doesn't your Government offer training for productive occupations like LGV driving, instead of unproductive ones?

If a guy wants an LGV licence he has to pay for all the training, vehicle hire, medical, theory and practice exam, himself in his own time. A lot of guys can't afford all that- especially when they are not bound to pass the test at the end. Then, if he gets through all that, because he has got no exprerience he starts with the crappiest job that no experienced driver wants.

I get that hiring unemployed in UK would be better than bringing in migrants. But you need to train them first - before you stop the migrants coming in.

Why dont the haulage association offer training instead of bitching? ;-) ..........

When I learn't to drive a bus I was trained for FREE by the bus company :D .........

Who owned the bus company?

Good question

I wonder if you will get a sensible answer *-)

Many hauliers don't even belong to the RHA

Why would they pay to train drivers for their competitors, when anyone offering a half decent job could get a driver who was already trained.

People have forgotten why monopolies and essential industries were brought into public ownership.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-09-28 9:31 AM

Tracker - 2021-09-27 7:11 PM

...Over to you Derek!!

I’ve decided to let this thread run in the hope that it will be a shining example to the Administrator of what the Chatterbox forum has turned into.

Having thought about this, if Chatterbox is to be used solely for no-holds-barred political ‘soapboxing’ and that’s considered OK by the powers that be, it might be better to change the Chatterbox forum’s title to reflect that usage and have another much more tightly controlled forum for occasional miscellaneous subjects.

Chatterbox forum title says 'Chat about anything and everything'

So if you want 'another much more tightly controlled forum' shouldn't that be that one with a different title?

Like 'Motorhome Matters' :-D

The "The Conservative Association Of England And Kent", (I think Pelmethead is a member?) have posted the following on Twitter:

Some greedy garages are making money off of the fuel shortage caused by lefty panic buying. This has to stop & stop now. The government needs to have full control over who can & who can't profiteer at a time of national crisis if we are to maintain a proper VIP contract system.

Seems legit to me.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-09-28 2:49 PM

The "The Conservative Association Of England And Kent", have posted the following on Twitter:

Some greedy garages are making money off of the fuel shortage caused by lefty panic buying. This has to stop & stop now. The government needs to have full control over who can & who can't profiteer at a time of national crisis if we are to maintain a proper VIP contract system.

Seems legit to me.

Quite right - profiteering should be limited to party fund contributors - both Labour and Conservative.

Justifies all that web trawling for crud dunnit!!

Apparently this spoof letter has been doing the rounds on FB etc.

As a couple wittily observed;

Vanessa Rambridge from Preston said: “WHY would anyone want to come here to work under those terms, knowing that they are NOT appreciated and only for them to be chucked out again once they have served their purpose?”

Colin Elcome added: “Weren’t they all supposed to be on benefits as well?

“I seem to remember the gammon having difficulties working that one out so just ignored it.” (lol)

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/funny-letter-eu-european-hgv-lorry-drivers-292288/

An excellent article from the Financial Times. Unfortunately it's paywalled so if any fm's want to read the article in full I will post it but have just edited a small section;

Temporary lorry driver visas are a symptom of government failure

Who will want these short-term visas, which expire on Christmas Eve? It is unlikely workers from the EU will queue up. As Tomasz Orynski, a Polish truck driver and journalist, told me: “Why would you want to go to Britain, jump all these hoops, face all this hostile environment, if you could go to Ireland or Holland and earn more, be respected, drive on nicer motorways with nice truck stops, and be a free European citizen, not a second-class citizen?”

It seems more likely that visa applicants will come from further afield, licence rules permitting. This has proved the case for the UK’s “seasonal worker pilot”, which issues six-month visas to people to pick fruit and vegetables on British farms. The top four source countries so far have been Ukraine, Russia, Belarus and Moldova. Some have come from as far as Nepal and Barbados.

We could have stayed in the EU and improved pay and conditions in these sectors. We could have left the EU and improved pay and conditions in these sectors. But the government insisted we would “have our cake and eat it” rather than acknowledge trade-offs and plan for them. This has precipitated a crisis that may mean the country ends up reliant on low-paid migrant workers after all — just different ones, who are even more vulnerable to exploitation. If there is any cake left, I do not know who is eating it.

https://www.ft.com/content/73fb9887-055f-4a5b-89b1-5df0c37ecc2b

Tracker - 2021-09-27 4:22 PM........................Regardless of what you may think we are where we are and the only way forward is to unite - apart from politicians who are unable to comprehend the word - to work at making the country better................

But although many of the opinions expressed reveal a heavy political bias, even if that conflicts with one's own political bias (is anyone truly free of all political bias? :-)) they are still opinions that represent voting preferences and possibly also a lifetime of conditioning and personal experiences. At the very least they show that many are not happy with the status quo - even if some are so partisan it is difficult to imagine contentment with any government that a properly democratic vote could be likely to elect!

Brexit was binary, with no likelihood, as in an election, of a reprieve after 5 years if it turned out to be the bad option. However the numbers are cooked it was a narrow majority based on an almost blank cheque, and the outcome has affected a substantial number of people in real, tangible, ways. It is hardly surprising that those most affected are sore and smarting over what they have, actually, lost and see no realistic opportunity to recover. It is surely unrealistic to expect the losers, and they have lost in many ways, in terms of freedoms as well as financial, to suddenly turn round and say "oh well, that was interesting, what shall we all do next".

Disunity was written all over the referendum, and it is overly optimistic to expect it all to evaporate while the costs are still being counted. Just ask, who has actually benefited so far?

The people and their opinions and grievances are still here. It is not as though all the losers have cluttered off to live in the EU leaving the winners to live in and with whatever alien country emerges in a decade or two.

So, with respect, all I will say regarding your comment above is that there is just a teensy, weensy bit of an air of unreality over the appeal for unity. One group of people imposed a huge, steaming, pile of poo on everyone's doorstep, and would like those who did not contribute to it to now help them clear it up. So is it really so surprising if the response is, in terms: "it's your pile, you made it, so you clear it up - and make sure you do it properly". :-D It wasn't a natural disaster, was it?

Guest pelmetman

So I guess the Haulage Association will have to invest in British drivers after all B-) .........

Why doesn't your Government offer training for productive occupations like LGV driving, instead of unproductive ones?

If a guy wants an LGV licence he has to pay for all the training, vehicle hire, medical, theory and practice exam, himself in his own time. A lot of guys can't afford all that- especially when they are not bound to pass the test at the end. Then, if he gets through all that, because he has got no exprerience he starts with the crappiest job that no experienced driver wants.

I get that hiring unemployed in UK would be better than bringing in migrants. But you need to train them first - before you stop the migrants coming in.

Why dont the haulage association offer training instead of bitching? ;-) ..........

When I learn't to drive a bus I was trained for FREE by the bus company :D .........

Dunno ......"Southdown" had been denationalised when I joined ;-) .........

I then joined "Peoples Provincial" in Gosport which was owned by its employees :D ......

So I guess I did for a while (lol) (lol) (lol) ........

pelmetman - 2021-09-28 6:58 PM

I then joined "Peoples Provincial" in Gosport which was owned by its employees :D ......

You were a member of a workers cooperative?!

You commie barsteward.

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-09-28 7:00 PM

You commie barsteward.

Nah......they sold out,,,,Capitalist B@stards >:-) ........

"The Company lasted for eight years during which time the growing and profitable company was attracting potential buyers. The local newspaper headline on 14 September 1995 stated that ‘People’s Provincial is about to be swallowed up by FirstBus’. The Managing Director of FirstBus explained that a ‘merged People’s Provincial would still be run by its own management and operate as an autonomous unit of FirstBus."

http://gosportbusesandtrams.provincialsociety.org/peoplesprovincial.htm

(lol) (lol) (lol) ...........

Brian Kirby - 2021-09-28 6:51 PM

Tracker - 2021-09-27 4:22 PM........................Regardless of what you may think we are where we are and the only way forward is to unite - apart from politicians who are unable to comprehend the word - to work at making the country better................

Brexit was binary, with no likelihood, as in an election, of a reprieve after 5 years if it turned out to be the bad option. However the numbers are cooked it was a narrow majority based on an almost blank cheque, and the outcome has affected a substantial number of people in real, tangible, ways. It is hardly surprising that those most affected are sore and smarting over what they have, actually, lost and see no realistic opportunity to recover. It is surely unrealistic to expect the losers, and they have lost in many ways, in terms of freedoms as well as financial, to suddenly turn round and say "oh well, that was interesting, what shall we all do next".

Disunity was written all over the referendum, and it is overly optimistic to expect it all to evaporate while the costs are still being counted. Just ask, who has actually benefited so far?

The people and their opinions and grievances are still here. It is not as though all the losers have cluttered off to live in the EU leaving the winners to live in and with whatever alien country emerges in a decade or two.

So, with respect, all I will say regarding your comment above is that there is just a teensy, weensy bit of an air of unreality over the appeal for unity. One group of people imposed a huge, steaming, pile of poo on everyone's doorstep, and would like those who did not contribute to it to now help them clear it up. So is it really so surprising if the response is, in terms: "it's your pile, you made it, so you clear it up - and make sure you do it properly". :-D It wasn't a natural disaster, was it?

Excellent post Brian and reminds me how Ian Hislop put it on QT;

"After an election or referendum, even if you lose the vote you are entitled to go on making the argument.

When a government in this country wins an election - the opposition does not say 'oh that's absolutely fine i've got nothing to say for five years' ".

pelmetman - 2021-09-28 7:13 PM

You commie barsteward.

"The Company lasted for eight years during which time the growing and profitable company was attracting potential buyers. The local newspaper headline on 14 September 1995 stated that ‘People’s Provincial is about to be swallowed up by FirstBus’. The Managing Director of FirstBus explained that a ‘merged People’s Provincial would still be run by its own management and operate as an autonomous unit of FirstBus."

And there you have it, nationalised industry is prepared to invest in its staff recognising the long term benefits to society as a whole, private industries have no interest beyond the bottom line and don't invest in staff.

And as you said "When I learn't to drive a bus I was trained for FREE by the bus company :D ." Good to see you finally accept that nationalisation is the better option.

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-09-28 8:06 PM

You commie barsteward.

And there you have it, nationalised industry is prepared to invest in its staff recognising the long term benefits to society as a whole, private industries have no interest beyond the bottom line and don't invest in staff.

And as you said "When I learn't to drive a bus I was trained for FREE by the bus company :D ." Good to see you finally accept that nationalisation is the better option.

Which bit of......"Southdown" had been ***denationalised when I joined*** ......are you struggling to comprehend? ;-) .......

Just askin (lol) (lol) (lol) .......

pelmetman - 2021-09-28 8:10 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-09-28 8:06 PM

You commie barsteward.

Which bit of......"Southdown" had been ***denationalised when I joined*** ......are you struggling to comprehend? ;-) .......

Just askin (lol) (lol) (lol) .......

Alright, a workers cooperative will invest in driver training....

Just telling you...

Tracker - 2021-09-28 3:03 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-09-28 2:49 PM

The "The Conservative Association Of England And Kent", have posted the following on Twitter:

Seems legit to me.

Quite right - profiteering should be limited to party fund contributors - both Labour and Conservative

If Labour are at it as well why are they skint?

Good to see Caroline Lucas holding Grant Chapps (or whatever he's calling himself this week.) This must have been in his red box.

"Jaw-dropping stat this morning...

Me to Transport Secretary: constituents are waiting and waiting - how long is the HGV licence application backlog ?

Answer: DVLA says there are *56,144* applications awaiting processing.

IMG_20210929_121522.thumb.jpg.c0c6cfac47ec915da3e51e589f804954.jpg

John52 - 2021-09-29 9:40 AM

If Labour are at it as well why are they skint?

Who in their right mind would want to donate to such a bunch of losers?

If they can't even manage their own party to live within their income what chance the country - as Gordon Brown proved so conclusively - which is a great shame as what we need right now is a strong opposition - not much chance of that.

Lessons will be learned they said after the last election, but socialism is exempt from common sense.

As predicted EU truck drivers are in no rush to come to our rescue and who can blame them?

Polish HGV driver, Tomasz Orynski said, ‘why return to England to pee in a bottle on the M25?’ Fair point. They have excellent rest stops on Autoroutes and Autobahns with first class facilities.

He went on to say: ‘The vast majority of the comments on the internet are just laughing and mocking Britain. “Brexit means Brexit”, “you voted us out and wanted us to go home, so we are home”.

Can't argue with that. :-|

https://tinyurl.com/rhk7t2h4

Derek Uzzell - 2021-09-29 1:15 PM

Bulletguy - 2021-09-28 4:59 PM

An excellent article from the Financial Times. Unfortunately it's paywalled....

It's usually possible to sidestep the FT paywall.

GOOGLE-search on "Financial Times paywall"

Google search their title or part of the text

Only problem is every time you do it they put a cookie on your PC

When you get a few of those you can't access any further FT articles until you clear your cookies.

Or

search the url on outline;

https://outline.com/

I see the usual no hope remainers are not blaming actions at the DVLA, Covid or the ridiculous panic buying by the public for the petrol problem, but are blaming Brexit. So no doubt they can tell us how many of the trained PETROL TANKER DELIVERY DRIVERS left the UK after Brexit, thus causing the problem.

Brian B.

Archived