How many of this model were produced?

david lloyd

Hi all, around 2005/6 Autocruise produced the Pioneer Renoir (amongst several other ‘new’ models) and you don’t see many about. I thought it was a ‘special’ build to use up the last few remaining X244 chassis’ before the new X250 came in - but does anyone have any idea just how many were produced? Are they going to be a modern classic?

David

colin - 2022-09-20 8:08 PM

No idea of the answer to your question, but I do recall the van, or more precisely the graphics.

Yes, you’re right Colin, I think Autocruise went to town on the model with a full silver paintwork job and twin headlights replacing the original ones. It’s why i thought it may become a modern classic.

David

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best vans we ever had was an Autocruise Starlet ll of 2006 vintage. The Renoir is the same layout with a bit more luxury and, for us, it all worked really well and we have no criticism at all of the layout or build quality. It did exactly what it said on the tins - as the saying goes - and not all vans do that!

The low profile helps it handle better in strong winds, but the LWB Alko chassis gives it a very wide turning circle which can make you look a bit inept when turning in a tight space.

It rides well, the Alko rear end being softer sprung than the convential van chassis and ours took us all over Europe - and Morocco - on many trips without ever letting us down.

I don't know how many Renoirs were made but coming from a less complex past it is a potential clasic and if it were mine I would value it highly.

Good Luck David, and I hope yours looks after as well as our Starlet did us.

Thanks Rich - we are loving it too. In 2005 we bought a Startraveller which, again had a pretty similar layout but without the paint job and extras that were to come with the Renoir. At just 6.15m long the Renoir is about six inches longer than our last PVC and not a lot wider but what an amazing amount of space it conjures up. It is the ultra low Alko chassis so not very tall either and a lovely ride - handles like it’s on rails. As you and other long standing forum members may know, we have had a good selection of M/H’s over the last 25 years but I had always thought it would be nice to own a chassis. Didn’t really fancy the bare essentials of an early Ducato type or Bedford CL or Commer as we do like our modern comforts but this may well just become that classic with comfort.

David

• 8 months later...

Not the club but did get a reply from Martin Watts (MMM Classic Motorhome writer) on the discussion about modern classics. I can see there are Alko suitable tow bars on the internet but it’s not clear as to which model would be suitable. For example, many are listed for Alko fitted vehicles from 2007 on.

may have to contact Alko to get more advice.

David

It's quite possible that an off-the-shelf tow-bar was never available from Al-Ko for the low chassis as fitted to  the Pioneer Renoir, even if the chassis itself may have been pre-drilled to take a tow-hitch directly.

This link is to an advert for a 2005 Renoir and it will be apparent (image below) that a 'nudge-bar' has been used to allow the tow-hitch to be at a suitable height.

https://www.motorhomedepot.com/vehicle/autocruise-pioneer-renoir-2

image.png.c1b7761c056b5162bd1d3cf50c7ba761.png

David,

I'm not sure on your location but we had a full width bumper bar/tow bar manufactured and installed by TowTal in Stoke on Trent when we purchased our AT. The fit and quality is excellent but was let down by the paint finish as it was made and fitted in a day so only appeared to have had one quick coat of paint. I have since had it powder coated.

https://towtal.co.uk/towbars/

I'm pretty sure that accurate/credible information about the number of Pioneer 'explorer/artist' models built by Autocruise will be unavailable nowadays.

This 2006 article refers to Autocruise Pioneer models

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/articles/general/pioneer-paints-a-pretty-picture

Swift acquired Autocruise in late-2007 and some Pioneer 'explorer/artist' models (eg. Pizarro, Joilette) were marketed based on an X250 chassis - but I don't know if these were 'genuine' Autocruise or Swift-era vehicles.

Thanks Keith - we are at Guisborough in North Yorkshire - I know Armitage trailers at Knottingley do a good job had work done there before. 

onecal - as Derek says above there isn’t really any valid information on numbers but my own suspicion is that relatively few of these ‘specials’ were built in this guise (silver paint, alloys etc) to make the last of the X244 chassis versions attractive at a time when many were simply waiting to order new Motorhomes on the new X250.

All I do know is there are not many!

David

The Boxer/Ducato/Relay 'X250' base vehicle did not begin to be built in Italy until mid-2006, so any motorhome constructed in the Autocruise factory in 2005/2006 had to be on the outgoing 'X244' chassis, whether it was Autocruise or Pioneer badged.

Pioneer-badged models were Autocruise 'Star' models in drag (a Pioneer Renoir and an Autocruise Starburst have virtually the same DNA). In 2005/2006 Autocruise were building Pioneer models using either an 'explorer' or an 'artist' model-name. All of these had white paintwork as standard, but silver was an option for the Monet and Renoir 'artist' models. 2005/2006 'Star' and equivalent Pioneer models all had alloy wheels and all 2006 Pioneer models had Hella 4-headlamp units irrespective of their paintwork colour.

Having inspected a few more 'Star'/Pioneer adverts, it may be that a tow-bar could have been specified as a factory option. This 2005 Renoir image shows a tow-hitch that looks like it may connect tidily to the Al-Ko chassis.

image.png.685173777cb784b8bac63a5901ef97b0.png

Nothing to do with your model autocruise although I remember looking at it when it came out being very smart,

We owned a starquest from new in 2002 they were sold by marquis motorhomes, met Gordon Bently when we attended the factory visit weekends in Mexborough, they all seemed well built and designed by people who used them, think the original swing wall shower was their design? Like autotrail there were loads of choice in different layouts something for everyone.

Consider if you have a tow bar made having it galvanised instead of paint, as we did, it looks a bit shiny to start with but mellows, never had to touch ours on the Hymer for 15 years we had it

It's most unlikely that anyone could provide accurate build-number data for pre-Swift-takeover Autocruise motorhomes, and - to muddy the waters further - some "Star" models were Autocruise/Pioneer hybrids. This advert is for a 2005-registered "Starburst" (name on side-view photo) but the rear-view photo clearly shows the Pioneer brand.

https://www.webuyanymotorcaravan.com/product/autocruise-starburst/

Interesting , I think this came up some years back and information was obtained from the owners club secretary by a member of our Club

I do believe it may have been a small number ,  I have no record  and i have asked a few in the Motorhome Club as one couple had one but sadly no joy as to exactly "How many were actually produced"

You are a mine of information Derek. Around this time Autocruise were building the same models badged as Pioneer or Autocruise but with different model names. In fact we bought a new Pioneer at one of the shows (can’t recall it’s model name) but, like many people, I hadn’t heard of Pioneer and was a little concerned that it may affect any future resale price so asked for it to be badged as Autocruise. In line with their branding the ‘Pioneer’ model we got was produced as an Autocruise Startraveller.

David