Is anyone else getting a annoying pop up from AP?

Barry Lineker

46 minutes ago, laimeduck said:

yes I get it ..... it's Associated Press and ..... bottom right of screen If you cancel it it simply moves up to top centre?

I simply ignore it

Very annoying - and difficult to ignore as it's the first thing I see when I sign in.

( I've no idea what they are advertising - and if I find out - I definitely won't be buying it ! )

On 12/13/2022 at 10:12 AM, Barryd999 said:

Nope. Nothing for me. I use Adguard extension and see no ads or popups. Very easy to install just make sure you install the extension for your browser not the full windows package.

I had the 'pop up' issue occur this morning.

I'm running Adblock as a Chrome extension (because my 2009 iMac's old operating system can't run more recent advert blockers) and until today this had successfully suppressed ads and pop-ups on the Out&AboutLive forums.

I've now twiddled Adblock's settings on a suck-it-and-see basis and this has stopped the pop-ups appearing. It has also slightly altered the 'look' of the O&AL forum webpages, but their functionality hasn't changed.

15 minutes ago, Derek Uzzell said:

I had the 'pop up' issue occur this morning.

I'm running Adblock as a Chrome extension (because my 2009 iMac's old operating system can't run more recent advert blockers) and until today this had successfully suppressed ads and pop-ups on the Out&AboutLive forums.

I've now twiddled Adblock's settings on a suck-it-and-see basis and this has stopped the pop-ups appearing. It has also slightly altered the 'look' of the O&AL forum webpages, but their functionality hasn't changed.

2009 eh? you have certainly had your moneys worth out of that one! 😃

Built to last that old Apple stuff though. Just a pity about the software.

In fact - although there's no doubt that a video 'pop-up' popped up - I'm not sure if my playing about with the Adblock settings was a genuine cure. I've had another fiddle about with Adblock, reinstating the settings to what (I think!) they were before and the pop-up has not reappeared. As I don't know the reason for the pop-up appearing, I can't know what the likelihood is that altering a particular Adblock setting would affect the pop-up. I've turned off every Adblock option that I think might allow an advert or pop-up through and time will tell whether that will be a permanent fix.

2 hours ago, Derek Uzzell said:

In fact - although there's no doubt that a video 'pop-up' popped up - I'm not sure if my playing about with the Adblock settings was a genuine cure. I've had another fiddle about with Adblock, reinstating the settings to what (I think!) they were before and the pop-up has not reappeared. As I don't know the reason for the pop-up appearing, I can't know what the likelihood is that altering a particular Adblock setting would affect the pop-up. I've turned off every Adblock option that I think might allow an advert or pop-up through and time will tell whether that will be a permanent fix.

The simple way to check would be to just temporarily turn off adblock completely for OAL. See if it pops up or not then turn it back on again.

As far as I'm aware I would have had Adblock enabled when I signed into O&AL this morning  and the video 'pop-up' appeared. Nevertheless - having set Adblock to Off - adverts and the video appear and, having turned Adblock back On, neither adverts nor the video display.

On my iMac I also have the Safari browser (with no blocker enabled) and the O&AL forums display splattered with adverts and with the video showing.

If I remember correctly, it was understood that the revised forums would carry extra advertising to justify the cost of moving to a new platform. However, the video is definitely not advertising.

There are a couple of threads on the Invision Community website that seem relevant. One mid-November complaint read

I'm seeing a lot of weird 'random' behaviour.

Often a video player is being inserted after the second post on every topic page, or a floating video player is launched with similar content or BOTH simultaneously - which seems over the top.

This sounds pretty much what happens in my case.

3 hours ago, Barryd999 said:

Odd one. As said, I see none of the ads or videos. However Im spending less and less time on here as the content has dropped off a cliff.  They wont be making much from ads at this rate.

With Adguard running on the O&AL forums, I would not expect you to see adverts or this video as - if I run Adblock - I don't see them either.

If I turn off Adblock I see adverts and the video when I enter the O&AL forums. If you turn off Adguard, do you also see the adverts and video?

3 hours ago, Derek Uzzell said:

With Adguard running on the O&AL forums, I would not expect you to see adverts or this video as - if I run Adblock - I don't see them either.

If I turn off Adblock I see adverts and the video when I enter the O&AL forums. If you turn off Adguard, do you also see the adverts and video?

All I get if I turn off Adguard is the video. Centre right. The one that popped up was about Ukrainian refugees or something, never played it. I didnt see any ads but Im using the latest version of chrome and thats already well set up before I turn my adguard on. Turned adguard back on and no video.

Many years ago I used standard 'MS Edge' settings to block ads, worked very well until this latest one.

I've held off installing AdBlock and for last couple of days the video only comes up on home page, going to any forum sub page and it goes. 

Archived