Oil pressure sensor

Duggee

Hi been away awhile but something came up recently and made me curious. I had cruise control fitted to my Fiat Ducato 3.0l 160 2008 and the guy who fitted it ask why I had no oil pressure sensor. 
so I asked the local garage to fix it but when I went they said they couldn’t get one for my year and that it was probably old school and it was down to checking the dip stick . 
can anyone clarify if this model/year has one fitted and if it does we’re is it located . 

It would be surprising if a 3.0litre motor fitted to a 2008 Ducato had no oil-pressure sensor, particularly as there are lots of on-line adverts and images for that part. (example here)

https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/fiat-ducato-peugeot-boxer-citroen-relay-2-3-3-0-oil-pressure-switch-2002-onwards.html

I can't offer advice as to where the sensor might be on a 3.0litre motor, but - knowing Fiat - it's probably well hidden. (Behind starter motor?)

Is it possible that the person fitting the cruise control meant an oil level sensor as this is a feature that is fitted and shown on the dash display with X250 Fiat Ducatos fitted with their 2.3 engine , but may not be available when the 3.0 ltr (Iveco based) engine is fitted. 

(The handbook does state not fitted on all versions )

Edited by Labby

I echo Labby's and Keith's diagnosis.

This 2017 forum discussion may be of interest

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/40943-oil-warning-message/

with Nick Fisher (euroserv) advising

Not all vehicles have this oil level display. It is part of a 'high level instruments' pack and will be fitted if the vehicle has climate control, cruise control or if the 'oil level sensor' option box was ticked.

Although my 2015-built Ducato-based Rapido motorhome had cruise-control as standard, it did not have the oil-level display feature, so presumably Rapido chose to save a few euros.

(On another forum there is a throw-away comment that - when a Ducato has the oil-level readout - the sensor itself is quite inexpensive, but replacing it is a lengthy task taking several hours.)

The Fiat handbook that should be relevant to a 2008 Ducato indicates two possible readout  formats (images attached below). If neither of those readouts appears when the vehicle's ignition is turned on, it may be assumed that the vehicle either does not have the oil-level feature or it's not working properly!

image.png.5e3a485eeddd5af3d44c9ec0eb8fc1ad.png

image.png.a4a0d5a1d3f15cc9a16e27ba467bce66.png

A brief follow-up...

Comments on other motorhome-related forums indicate that Ducatos with the 3.0litre motor could have an oil-level readout on their dashboard display. Unlike the type of oil-level sensor fitted to the 2.3litre motor, the sensor used on the 3.0litre engine was an 'electrical dipstick'. This advert provides more details

https://www.auto-ricambi.eu/oil-level-sensor-fiat-ducato-since-2006-f1c-3-0-jtd-electrical-dipstick-p5038/#gallery

Hi

Very strange post

Did the Garage tell you it had a dipstick?

Or did they confuse it with an OIL LEVEL SENSOR or lack of 

Is there one ? Maybe a photo or two of your engine , please

Regards

Edited by onecal

• 2 weeks later...

This thread had been continued here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/61967-dashboard/#comment-708890

As that thread has now been 'locked', I've copied Duggee's enquiry below

Hi good morning. I was wondering if anyone could help me solve a question. I have a 2008 fiat Ducato 3.0 lt jtd and if anyone has the same does this model have a Oil Sensor and if so where is it . Also if anyone could send a photo of the dashboard as they turn the ignition on I wanted to know exactly what should show up . Thanks 

As I said above, the dashboard display of a 2008 Ducato vehicle could include an oil-level readout as an OPTION and - when the vehicle had the 3.0litre 160 Multijet Iveco-built motor - an 'electrical dipstick' provided that readout.

Images of that dipstick are here

image.jpeg.071d53f54f02d1a5f7d205e02b8af5bd.jpeg

image.jpeg.dfc5038ec5779cd7517a74155d7afa6d.jpeg

If a  3.0litre 160 Multijet motor is NOT fitted with an electrical dipstick (and its presence or not should be immediately obvious) the dashboard display cannot include an oil-level readout, and it's reasonable to assume that no electrical dipstick means that the oil-level readout option was not part of the vehicle's specification when it was built.

There were numerous options available for Ducatos built in 2008 (like Duggee's). Cruise-control was another option, but it's plain that his Ducato did not have it as his vehicle recently had cruise-control retrofitted. 

I now believe that the 'logic' I used above was wrong...

This image is of the front end of a 3.0litre 160 Multijet motor as fitted to Ducato, and the position (and length) of the dipstick is very clear.

image.jpeg.d2a62e3f8491e81ab64e95a6236fc628.jpeg

Pictures of the 'electrical dipstick' that this motor can have suggest that it would not simply be inserted into the standard dipstick's 'tube' - so (presumably) another 'tube' is fitted elsewhere on the motor when the electrical dipstick option is specified. 

This MHFacts forum discussion may be of interest

https://www.motorhomefacts.com/threads/hymer-fiat-ducato-2016-3-0-engine-oil-level-sensor-error.245476/

It includes the following drawing indicating that the the position of the oil-level sensor (electrical dipstick) on a Ducato's 3.0 litre 160 Multijet power-plant is on the rear side of the motor's crankcase that faces the rear bulkhead of the engine compartment. 

image.png.d0ac105bc1d1eeb11b305a38fe5cb53f.png

Assuming that all Ducato 160MJ motors had a conventional dipstick (as shown in the photo in my last posting) it may be that they also all had an oil-level sensor - but this was only connected to the dashboard display when that option had been specified. Alternatively, if the dashboard oil-level display had not been specified, the oil-level sensor might have been omitted and its entry-point in the crankcase blanked off.

Almost certainly Nick Fisher (euroserv) could advise authoritatively on this.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/information/mmm-tech-help

On 5/4/2023 at 7:02 PM, Duggee said:

Hi been away awhile but something came up recently and made me curious. I had cruise control fitted to my Fiat Ducato 3.0l 160 2008 and the guy who fitted it ask why I had no oil pressure sensor. 
so I asked the local garage to fix it but when I went they said they couldn’t get one for my year and that it was probably old school and it was down to checking the dip stick . 
can anyone clarify if this model/year has one fitted and if it does we’re is it located . 

Strange the OP does not supply a photo of his 3.0 160 motor 

Regards

i advise if you are technical  to read out component location from  engine cooling,,Emission control, intake air  distribution and filtering, Electronic engine controls.fuel charging and controls- turbo charger. And how it works.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

He stated in his initial posting which unit his 2008 Fiat Ducato has - a 3.0 litre 160 Multijet.

I fail to understand how providing a photo of his vehicle's motor would advance this 'oil level sensor' issue as there are plenty of good quality images of the 160MJ motor on-line.  Besides which, the best photo that, realistically, could be taken would be the top of the motor looking into the engine compartment and what value would that have?

I fully accept that, if you may be aware of a particular technical factor that would be important, but if that is the case you'd need to say which part of the motor would need to be photoed.

I also fail to understand why the OP has not provided a photo of his 3.0 160 multijet engine and the offending part be it an oil pressure sensor or indeed a missing or not missing dipstick.

I think it would help , I find it strange the guy fitting the cruse control did not know and even more confusing the Garage was maybe unsure 

Again are we really sure we are talking about a 160 multijet engine , Is it the original engine?

Photo of dipstick, if fitted 

Pressure sensor, if fitted or blanked off 

Duggee's original posting said

...I had cruise control fitted to my Fiat Ducato 3.0l 160 2008 and the guy who fitted it ask why I had no oil pressure sensor...

Subsequent forum comments suggested that the reference to there being "no oil pressure sensor" was a misunderstanding and that the person who had fitted cruise control probably said (or meant to say) "no oil level sensor".

In 2008 only two diesel engines were fitted to Ducato - an Iveco-built 2.3litre F1AE0481N motor (130 Multijet) or an Iveco-built 3.0litre F1CE0481D (160 Multijet). I see no reason to challenge Duggee's statement that his Ducato has the 160MJ motor and I would not expect him to provide a photo of his motor to confirm this. (The oil dipstick position is the give-away)

image.png.eb9f8b75a7c84127b56ec387fb377a71.png

It's apparent from on-line information that the crankcase of the 3.0litre and 2.3litre motors (in Ducato and Iveco Daily vehicles) has a threaded aperture to accept a oil-level sensor. The sensor is a 'dipstick' design and I have arrowed  the aperture's location on this image.

ScreenShot2023-05-25at07_40_58.png.e84ad9529882c2d2f99ac097f99acff1.png

As I said earlier, the location is on the side of the motor's crankcase that faces the rear bulkhead of the engine compartment and (on Ducato) it is evidently a time-consuming task to replace the sensor due to the number of parts needing to be removed to reach it. Given the inaccessible position of the sensor, taking a photo of it in situ will be impracticable.

It may well be that all 3.0litre F1C and 2.3litre F1A motors are factory-fitted with a 'dipstick' design oil-level sensor, but Ducatos having those motors may not all have a dashboard display that provides an oil-level readout on engine start-up of the type shown in my May 5 posting above.

The Ducato Owner Handbook relevant to Duggee's 2008 vehicle describes the functionality of the engine oil level gauge (for versions/markets where provided) and advises

IMPORTANT To find out the correct oil quantity, always check on the dipstick (see paragraph “Checking levels” in the section “Maintenance and care”)

and there does not appear to be any dashboard warning light/message to specifically warn a driver while the Ducato is being driven that the oil level is low.

Hi everyone thanks for your help with  the oil pressure sensor question. Sorry not got back sooner but been very busy family stuff . The pictures are great very useful . Narrowed it down to oil LEVEL sensor not oil pressure sensor . It has both one being the sensor for pressure ( present) and the other is the dip stick or me  for oil Level . 
Thanks again . 
If it’s not too much trouble to ask has anyone come across the following error code 250AH / 9482 . 
thanks again