Light switches failing

Makingtrax

My 2016 Knaus Sun Ti is having problems with the light switches. Each switch can switch on 4 lighting banks. See photo. They are pressure switches with a printed circuit board behind the plastic cover with a ribbon cable attached to the PCB. Unfortunately they’re not all working no matter how hard you press them. I suspect I need a new PCBs, unless someone knows how I can fix them. Knaus say you can only order parts from a dealer, but my nearest dealer (Derby) says they’re not selling parts to the public anymore. I originally bought the van from Lowdhams, but they are no longer a Knaus dealer. Any help much appreciated.

15F4AA18-6773-4032-B357-847713742615.jpeg

You state that the switches are "pressure" switches.  I interpret this as membrane switches similar to those used on some TV remote controls rather than something like a touch screen.

If you can non destructively gain access to the synthetic rubber membrane, and clean the inner surface with methylated spirits, you may be able to make an inexpensive cure.  I have used this technique on TV remote controls.

Alan

5 minutes ago, Alanb said:

You state that the switches are "pressure" switches.  I interpret this as membrane switches similar to those used on some TV remote controls rather than something like a touch screen.

If you can non destructively gain access to the synthetic rubber membrane, and clean the inner surface with methylated spirits, you may be able to make an inexpensive cure.  I have used this technique on TV remote controls.

Alan

Thanks. Yes they’re membrane switches. The outer plastic cover sits over a metal dome that squashes flat. I didn’t know they could be cleaned. I assumed the metal dome had somehow  lost it’s springiness and therefore it’s connection when flattened. As the metal domes are part of the PCB I assumed it would need a new pcb. They’re only small, but getting hold of parts seems very difficult.

Hi

Disconnect from the power source.Take the switch off , mark the wiring or take a photo of it 

Try some gentle heat from a hairdryer and replace , it make take a few tries to work, 

If that does not work , you could try taking it apart and clean (not really recommended)

Otherwise you may just have to go to a dealer , or replace with ones similer to same 

Regards

8 minutes ago, Keithl said:

If it could be moisture then try putting the switch unit in a plastic bag with either desiccant or dry rice. Both should draw out any moisture.

Or maybe just leave it in the sun for a few hours 🌞

Thanks very much. I’ll see if I can disconnect them and give it go. It’s strange that 3 of the 4 banks of 4 switches have gone the same way. Each of them has one or two not working.

Be very carful of the sun as it is known to cause damage 

The phone trick with the rice and plastic bag may also do the trick 

Gentle heat is all that is needed and you may need to do it quite a few times 

Regards

1 hour ago, onecal said:

Be very carful of the sun as it is known to cause damage 

The phone trick with the rice and plastic bag may also do the trick 

Gentle heat is all that is needed and you may need to do it quite a few times 

Regards

OK thanks. Going to take them apart tomorrow and dry them out thoroughly to see if that’s the cause. I notice I have a slight problem with the membrane switches on the Alde control panel too. Damp could well be the problem even though we put lots of moisture absorbing  crystal containers around the van in the winter.

I’ve now managed to take the whole switch assembly apart and they’re not membrane switches, but tactile push switches on a PCB covered in a layer of plastic. One of the switches has just stop working when you push it. May have to contact Knaus to get the make and serial number of the exact switch in order to get a replacement, and then brush up on my soldering.

B944B539-50B6-4A68-802C-D5C79D1080B6.jpeg

1 hour ago, MikeF said:

If the contact cleaner doesn’t work I’ll order a few of these. The tactile switch looks like. 6mm x 6mm x 10mm high. Have to work on my soldering iron skills. 😂

Archived