My new satnav can't cope with cab noise!

I have just bought a camping/truck type satnav at Halfords Satnav from the range of one of the three well known names in satnavs at great expense and the volume for the manouvre announcements isn't loud enough to be heard over the general noise in the cab of my A class ducato.  I have been into the system settings and put all the sound sliders on maximum, but it still can't cope.  I had a similar problem with my previous satnav and this was solved by plugging a powered small speaker into the headphone socket.  Trouble is that this satnav has only a usb socket for the power supply, and no other sockets!!!  I have contacted the manufacturer who appears surprised that a motorhome cab might be noisy!!!  My next action is to go back to Halfords and see if they have another satnav of the same make and model that might go louder in case its a one off problem with my purchased unit.  In your experience, are satnavs basically unable to cope with loud background noise?  I'm not deaf by the way.  It intruiges me that although the unit has blutooth to connect the satnav to my phone for handsfree phone calls, that it will not pair with my cab radio so that the voice instructions go through it and perhaps cut out the radio while it is speaking?? (plus I could turn up the volume on the radio!!)

Unfortunately you are not the first to experience this problem, and you did say you had the same problem with your last unit so obviously no big surprise with this new unit! I have heard of some people unable to hear them even in cars!

My answer is to mute the Sat Nav and just watch the screen for directions. It means no disturbance of conversation and no repeated "Turn around when possible" 🙂

And Sat Navs and car radios are both unable to initiate a pairing with each other. Either can pair to a phone but neither to each other, I'm not totally sure why but that's life!

I always drive with the sound off ...so this would not bother me. I prefer to use the MK 1 eyeball and scan the instrument regularly so by and large I know what is coming up seconds before it happens. That way I name the decision, not tge machine. It's not infallible but in my opinion better. I did have fun changing the language to Chinese and Magyar, but the novelty soon wore off so now it's mute!

Hi

Again you did not mention what make or model you purchased. Yes it may be a faulty unit?

So re check with a different one from the shop of purchase , as most people complain when sound is turned up fully to be way too loud and distracting

By the way, does others in the cab find it very difficult also to hear?

Regards

To answer the question as asked, no I have not had that problem.  I have always needed to reduce the volume on "Bossy Brenda" to an acceptable level, as she is somewhat strident!  🙂 This is over three different sat-navs, all Garmin, used UK and abroad since 2009.

I think the speaker in your unit is probably defective.  In the meantime, have you tried changing the voice?  I have only experience of Garmin units, but all have had, within their settings, a facility to change between several, male and female, voices - some clearer than others.  It may be that the ambient noise in the (I would have thought on an "A" class van, reasonably subdued) cab is in the same frequency range as the announcer's voice, so blankets the announcements.

Two suggestions.

1, Back to Halfords for a replacement unit to see if it makes a difference and, filing that,

2, in view of your earlier experience with a similar brand model, ask to try a different brand of sat-nav.

I think that the first thing to establish is just how noisy your cab actually is and if it’s more than normal find out why.

In my old A class I can hear my sat nav just fine as well as Google sat nav on my mob.

As a test, how about trying your mob’s sat nav in the van? If you can hear it just fine then I’d focus on your new sat nav being an issue.
If your mob sat nav cannot be heard because of the ambient noise then I think you need to track down why your cab is so noisy.
Assuming you’ve already got rid of all the usual motorhome rattles I think I’d turn my attention to the engine bay sound insulation. I replaced the insulation on my van and it transformed the ride experience. I don’t know the age of your van but if it’s an old one, the quality of the sound insulation can degrade over time.
Edited by BruceM

22 hours ago, Absolutebeginner said:

I have just bought a camping/truck type satnav at Halfords Satnav from the range of one of the three well known names in satnavs at great expense and the volume for the manouvre announcements isn't loud enough to be heard over the general noise in the cab of my A class ducato.  I have been into the system settings and put all the sound sliders on maximum, but it still can't cope.  I had a similar problem with my previous satnav and this was solved by plugging a powered small speaker into the headphone socket.  Trouble is that this satnav has only a usb socket for the power supply, and no other sockets!!! 

Hi 

As the OP already had problems with hearing his old one 

I was wondering has anyone else in the cab the same issue as most complain that the sound (on most sat nav's even in older motorhomes) when turned up fully, is way too loud and distracting 

We await his reply 

As the size of a sat-nav's loudspeaker is pretty small (even on the large-screen devices) and the speaker is on the rear of the unit, positioning of the sat-nav matters.

I have two 5"-screen Garmin sat-navs and the volume needed to be turned well up for use in my motorhomes compared with when used in my cars. But I've never had any difficulty hearing the voice instructions in either case.

I have always mounted my sat-navs on a plastic disk glued to the vehicle's dashboard, so that the device is quite close to me when I'm driving. With an A-class motorhome - if the sat-nav is mounted close to (or on) the windscreen - the device may well be a long way from the driver's ears.

This 2022 MHFun thread discussed the same issue.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/garmin-camper-780-mt-s-not-loud-enough-your-experience-please.257393/

My TomTom must be about 10 years old now. Never had difficulty hearing it in the various Motorhomes (old and new) we have had and never changed the volume even when transferred to the car. It is my third TomTom and all have had sufficient volume levels. Just had my hearing checked and some high pitched sounds so have received hearing aids -  but can’t wear them driving the motorhome as all the background noise is too distracting!

As an aside, it is normally acknowledged that female voices carry better than male voices.

David

Hi all

I agree, most have no issue with sound when turned to high volume in most vehicles,in fact some really find it annoying

It would be interesting if the OP informed us of the make model of both Motorhome and Sat Nav', also if anyone else in the motorhome has the same issue 

We still await their reply?  

Two of our A-class motorhomes had Garmin satnavs. The only time we have hearing problems is in the current one when we have the radio on loud enough to hear the news. And our satnavs have been female.

Me thinks the problem might be the van noise. Truck cabs tend to be quiet.

I find it very strange that absolutebeginner posted the original question and like many people they do not respond to questions regarding make/ model etc. the post keeps going. 
I find this a little rude and no thought for those that respond and sometimes are taking the time to research for them. 

Hi 

Ah well , we have seen it so much in the past so many doing so much to help, Derek springs to mind and nice to see Brian contributing still, also all who contribute here trying to help others who genuinely need it ,sometimes with a bit of light banter thrown in every now and again 

Den they may just yet , we await their reply, 

Dear All, I must apologise as I seem to be too slow coming back to you.  I posted it Saturday evening and here I am on Monday looking at all your replies.  I ticked a box when I posted my question that from memory made me think that I would be notified by email if someone posted an answer.  Nothing came into my inbox so clearly I misunderstood the purpose of the box.  I didn't expect to get replies that evening and on Sunday couldn't escape my duties to study my laptop.  I see that there were several replies on Saturday but although I was watching my account Saturday evening they didn't appear on my laptop then.  So I accept your castigations. I see that some participants answered with customary good humour and good advice. 

To answer some questions, I have a 2015 Pilote 600GL A class based on  Ducato chassis.  The Satnav is a Garmin 795 7 inch screen, and it is mounted within arms length on a disc glued to the dashboard.  My passenger can't hear the voice commands clearly either.  The voice is female, and I can't find a menu that might let me change the gender!!!  My previous satnavs have been Navman and Snooper.  The Snooper had a headphone socket so I could plug in a powered small speaker and that worked fine.  Unfortunately the Snooper ran out of life after 10 years!!!

I like the voice prompts particularly at one of those complicated multi mini roundabout multi exit junctions.  Too much studying of the displayed map instead of looking out of the windscreen can be dangerous!!!

Your suggestions are similar to my own thoughts, but its comforting to hear them.  I am not alone!!!  Well, not entirely.  I really do appreciate all the advice given on Out and About Motorhome Forum.  Am I allowed out of the naughty corner now??

So.....back to Halfords and to listen to another incarnation of the same model and perhaps a swap to a To Tom.

I can see now that I slid the slider "follow topic", but I guess that you have to be signed in for this to work.

Similarly, I first looked at the Forum while signed out and onecal's response was not visible.  It appeared once I had signed in though.  Are you guys permanently signed in???

Special thanks to Derek Uzzell.  I had tried a search on "satnavs" on the forum and came up with nothing.  And then Derek gave a link to a previous post that was even more informative.  I am pleased that I went to Halfords  (at least......I am at the moment) because its face to face.  If I had bought off the net then what a rigmarole I might have had to go through!!!  Even then, the assistants didn't know much at all about the various models.  Buying satnavs is like a buying pig in a poke!!!

Dear onecal, I will indeed let you know how I get on at Halfords!!

On 6/19/2023 at 6:57 PM, Absolutebeginner said:

...The voice is female, and I can't find a menu that might let me change the gender!!!...

Although plenty of Garmin sat-navs do have the capability to choose between male and female voices for directional instructions, it appears that 'camper' versions do not. The default voice is female and there is no alternative.

I offer this on a "for what its worth" basis!  😄 

None of the Garmins I have owned have been a "truck" or "camper" version, and unless driving a HGV, I do wonder if the "extras" that they come with really justify their added cost.  Personal choice, obviously.

The navigational data required for route planning are embedded in the mapping which, for Garmin products, is by Navteq.  This does not include actual road width data.  What is does include, however, is data on vehicle width restrictions (those road signs that ban vehicles exceeding a specified width entering certain roads).  It also includes data on height restrictions (low bridges etc.) and on weight restrictions.  It is not always obvious that there are many miles of road which, despite being narrow, have no such restrictions and are not "comfortable" to drive in vehicles such as motorhomes, which as with the OP's van, are about 2.3 metres wide (plus mirrors!).

So, how then does a sat nav, having only this restricted supply of information to work from, select routes suitable for larger vehicles?  It seems that this achieved through the routing logic, which prioritises routes using the more major roads which, logic demands, must be  sufficiently wide for all vehicles up to the maximum permissible legal width.  This inevitably eliminates miles of usually quiet, perfectly navigable, minor road, merely on the basis of their road number.

The routing options available within the devices usually allow one to select between, for example, shortest and fastest routes, as well allowing elimination of toll roads, "U" turns etc. etc.  So, if one uses a "car" type sat nav, and sets the route preferences to the quickest route (and never the shortest!) the risk of encountering a "dodgy" minor road is relatively slim, and even where the road does feel a bit "tight", due to its nature, it is likely to be relatively quiet, and to have passing places so, with suitable attention to the road ahead and willingness to wait in a passing place for what is oncoming from time to time, I have found very few instances indeed of really tight situations.  I should probably add that only our first van was 2.3 metres wide, the other three having varied in width from 2.07 metres to 2.12 metres.

The above, plus the free downloadable Garmin programs (Mapsource and Basecamp) that allow the mapping to be shown on a PC and to easily switch from the map to Google Earth to check details, persuaded me to stay with Garmin.  That and the enormous wealth of freely downloadable PoIs for campsites, supermarkets, etc. etc, and the Garmin PoI Loader program that allows then to be transferred from either Mapsource or Basecamp to the device, kept me there.  I don't think any of the other sat nav manufacturers facilitate this degree of freedom to view amps and PoIs on a decent sized screen.

So, all our route navigation has been on a car type sat nav used with some caution when it begins to look as though its going off on a dodgy shortcut, and the results have enabled us to access the out of the way places we favour with minimal "breathe in" incidents.  😄

• Like 1