Replace Leisure batteries

webby1

We are usually on EHU so only recently noticed that our 2 Varta LFD 90 no longer hold a charge (down to 10.5 gulp👎)

I found the receipt and we bought them in 2015........not "recently" as I seemed to remember.So happy that it's time for replacements.

Tayna batteries now have the LFD 95 but I see there is also an LED 95 and even LFS 95. I wonder if anyone has any observations about the differences.Or even a better suggestion for replacements.

By the way the 2015 receipt showed £130................err that was for both batteries 😂

I bought one of the last LFD90's from Tayna just two years ago for the princely sum of £85 inc P&P and CMH discount. My previous one was then over ten years old and whilst still performing well I did not want to get caught out at a long weekend show without power.

Unfortunately I have no experience with the newer LED95 or LFS95 but disagree with Spirou's descriptions above. Tayna clearly state the LED95 is a Dual Purpose battery (ie starter and/or leisure) and the LFS95 is a dedicated leisure battery (although it does list a CCA figure which implies a starter battery). So either would be suitable for your use. Maybe call Tayna and ask their opinion.

LED95 VARTA PROFESSIONAL DUAL PURPOSE EFB LEISURE BATTERY 95AH (930095085)

LFS95 VARTA PROFESSIONAL DC LEISURE BATTERY 95AH (930 095 080)

My understanding of Varta's L-type short-code  is that the 2nd letter indicates the battery technology (A=AGM, F=Flooded) and the 3rd letter (when present) indicates the battery's primary purpose (D=Dual-purpose, S=Starting).

This 2020 Varta webpage (sort of) shows the difference

https://batteryworld.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/a-new-powerful-trio-for-the-leisure-segment

and this webpage

https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/products/leisure-batteries

supposedly helps to identify a suitable Varta 'leisure' battery.

As well as the Varta and Yuasa products, the late-Allan Evans used to be keen on Exide's ET650 100Ah battery that has the same 353mm(L) x 175mm(W) x 190mm(H) dimensions.

https://www.exidegroup.com/us/en/battery/ET650

Any lead acid battery that lists CCA, cold cranking amps, in the specification, is designed as a engine starting battery, not a battery intended for cyclic discharge and recharge cycles. Fortunately  many motorhomes are usually on hook up supply so the battery  has very light use, thus the batteries have a good service life. In my view any starter battery of suitable Ah  and dimensions would be OK for this type of use

Mike

16 hours ago, MikeF said:

Any lead acid battery that lists CCA, cold cranking amps, in the specification, is designed as a engine starting battery, not a battery intended for cyclic discharge and recharge cycles.

Few batteries advertised for motorhome 'leisure' use have no stated CCA. One exception is Banner's "Energy Bull" range (example here)

https://batteryfactory.co.uk/products/banner-leisure-battery-95751-12v-100-110ah-energy-bull

However - despite the blurb in the advert - this battery has been criticised in the past for its high water usage and the need to regularly check its fluid level. Evidence also suggests that the lifespan is nothing special. (Allan Evans disliked the Energy Bull...)

The Varta LFD90/LED95, Yuasa L36-EFB and Exide ET650 all have an engine-starting capability, but that doesn't mean they will be unsuitable as 'leisure' batteries.

Just a word of warning to those who are also "thinking about replacing their leisure batteries"

I said above that the batteries were no longer holding a charge and I was trying to decide on replacements when we gt back to UK.It's obvious now, but if you decide your batteries are shot........then you can no longer keep pumping juice into them from EHU.

I noticed the smell and then the heat under the seat..........and there they were fizzing and gassing away like a bomb waiting to pop.................very dangerous indeed.

So don't delay if you decide they need replacing...............I wonder how much batteries cost in Norway ?????

Has anyone ever said..........Google you are completely wrong.

Come to think of it, has anyone ever said Derek Uzzell you are completely wrong 😱😀

Anyway, managed to find reasonable replacements (well at least according to the sticky label on the side ??) for 1800NOK.Which at today's great exchange rate is about £130........so not too bad at all...................so far ???

Archived