Ducato warning lights

webby1

So I decided to do an OBD scan with the new bluetooth ELM327 scanner(first lesson............ if it ain't broke don't mess with it)

As it went through the modules the appropriate lights for ABS. seatbelts, airbag, battery, oil etc flashed on. The scan reported no problems but now all those lights  come on and then go off when starting the engine. Before it was only 2 or 3.

Now I assume that is a good thing as they are performing the appropriate checks but I wonder if they were not doing the checks before and the scan has somehow awakened the modules. Or have some of the lights just been turned off as it is worrying to see about 10 lights come on.

So any answers or speculation welcome.

How many warning light flash on before you start your Ducato? (ours is 2009)

Thanks for that offer.I'm sure I hadn't seen the ABS light or the airbag light at all before, but maybe I just missed them.

Unfortunately now its awake the airbag light stays on. A fault can't have happened since I plugged in the OBD so the scan has created something that definitely wasn't there before.It doesn't read a fault with the airbag so it must be just the light.

I used the cheapo ELM 327 from ebay Just out of interest.

I don't remember those lights flashing on beforehand, but it passed the MOT so I guess they must have done. Anyway they go on and then off correctly now, so no problem there.

My confusion is the airbag light now stays on but only since the scan. Apparently showing an issue that wasn't there before.

I'll get a proper scan done.

It's difficult to comment advisedly without knowing the details of the hardware/software you're using, but there have certainly been reports of the airbag ECU being difficult/impossible to connect to with certain equipment. (either s/w or h/w, or both)

The "actuators" for the panel lights are in a different ECU (The instrument panel one) to the airbag so it is entirely possible that you do have an issue with the airbag (ECU) but that the equipment you have won't connect with/interrogate that properly (hence no fault code).

I use MultiECUscan which is capable of interrogating the whole network.

• Like 1

Hi Robinhood

I agree , some of the scan tools can cause issues and yes he may have or have not an issue with the air bag as I have seen some of the poor diagnostic bring this fault up, Important to get it scanned with a good reliable scanner and take it from there

Regars

• Like 1

For what it's worth these are the lights that come on when I turn on the ignition of my 2005 2.8jtd Ducato.

The photo with all lights up is when the key is first turned, then after a couple of seconds the police goes then another 2 seconds and the thermometer and engine go out. ( ignore the petrol pump light..  I am low on fuel!

Jeremy

20231014_114234.jpg

20231014_114237.jpg

20231014_114251.jpg

Low on fuel he says!!  I assume you're now back home because if not, you've quite a walk to undertake.  🙂

I always refuel at 50%, mainly just in case, but also in case I pick up some sub-standard fuel somewhere, so the impact will (hopefully) be reduced.

Besides, last I heard, with winter coming, full tank reduces likelihood of water (condensation) in fuel as humidities and temperatures fluctuate.  Come on, chop- chop!  😄

BTW, your van appears to be showing a remarkably low mileage for its age!  You been "clocking" it?

14 minutes ago, Brian Kirby said:

BTW, your van appears to be showing a remarkably low mileage for its age!  You been "clocking" it?

...been a bit since I drove a 'van of that vintage, Brian (I gave up when the starting handle became too much 😉), but in conjunction with other bits of the display, I suspect that's part of the service interval warning, not the odometer.

22 minutes ago, Brian Kirby said:

Low on fuel he says!!  I assume you're now back home because if not, you've quite a walk to undertake.  🙂

I always refuel at 50%, mainly just in case, but also in case I pick up some sub-standard fuel somewhere, so the impact will (hopefully) be reduced.

Besides, last I heard, with winter coming, full tank reduces likelihood of water (condensation) in fuel as humidities and temperatures fluctuate.  Come on, chop- chop!  😄

Cheeky wotsit!

Returned on 7th October after a great "Balkans" tour. The last night was in Cambrai and I only put in sufficient expensive French diesel €1.99/lit to get us home....got it spot on too!

I've been treating the rust in offside front wheel arch so haven't been to filling station yet.

490.8 miles in 18 years ...sounds about right to me?

Nb diesel in Bosnia was £1.28/lit!

Jeremy

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2023 at 16:32, webby1 said:

So I decided to do an OBD scan with the new bluetooth ELM327 scanner(first lesson............ if it ain't broke don't mess with it)

As it went through the modules the appropriate lights for ABS. seatbelts, airbag, battery, oil etc flashed on. The scan reported no problems but now all those lights  come on and then go off when starting the engine. Before it was only 2 or 3.

Now I assume that is a good thing as they are performing the appropriate checks but I wonder if they were not doing the checks before and the scan has somehow awakened the modules. Or have some of the lights just been turned off as it is worrying to see about 10 lights come on.

So any answers or speculation welcome.

How many warning light flash on before you start your Ducato? (ours is 2009)

The ELM327 scanner likely revealed standard system checks when you start your 2009 Ducato. A brief flash of multiple lights before starting is typically normal.

• Like 1