Anyone there

Den

Den

If you go to the Home page for these forums and then select Activity and Condensed, its possible to gain an impression of what's been happening historically.

Yesterday, three new members joined the forums, but one of these (Zearenva, based in Pakistan) was a spammer and Keithl 'hid' the offending posting. And there was a fair amount of activity last week.

Today, you are the only forum-member who has, so far, opened a new topic or responded to a previous topic. For now,  there's a lull, but it's evident that people are looking at the forums even though they aren't posting.

7 hours ago, Den said:

Everything seems dead. Has the forum taken another hit. 

Ever since the forum was re-hashed some while ago it does seem to have lost favour with many previous regulars without attracting the high volumes of hoped for new contributing members?

Whether that is due to the format,  or perhaps so many of us experienced DIYers are getting older, or perhaps younger members have more reliable vans or are maybe less inclined to seek third party solutions - I  don't know - but I wonder whether the time might come that Warners might see it as not worth the cost and pull the plug?

On the bright side, at least chatterbox seems to have largely been cleaned up!!!!!

I thought it strange. No posts. 
I’ve certainly noticed a lack  of varied posts on the forum lately, but it was deadly quiet  🤫 I miss the technical chat, but no the type of chat that takes over a post specially the SS cup. 
🤞🏻when the spring arrives more people will want / give information. 

• Like 1

There is a new word for the decline of online platforms. 

https://americandialect.org/2023-word-of-the-year-is-enshittification/

Article about it in the FT today

The 'solution' here seems to be moderating it to death like Chatterbox

(I can see that might suit some people who are embarrassed about what they wrote.  Brexit is having a huge effect on our country yet there seems to be an omerta on even mentioning it) 

Is is worth the time and effort of researching and posting a thoughtful reply if the thread can disappear or be frozen at any moment? 

22 hours ago, Globebuster1 said:

Well Den, 

I'm going to follow up on my Hymer EBL problem later - so I'm looking forward to your input🙂

Hopefully any replies won't involve mugs.....S/S or otherwise

Good

If you paid to go to a show and it was crap you would have a right to complain.

But we should remember we don't pay for the content here.

Its provided free by the members.

So if there is a dearth of interesting content its as much your fault as anyone elses.

So show us what you can do.

The forum discussion relating to Globebuster1's Hymer Exsis EBL issue is here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/63829-hymer-exsis-strange-240v-issue-ebl29lt95/#comment-715314

It will (or should) be plain from the thread that dealing with the EBL issue is a work in progress and a 'follow up' won't be practicable until the work is completed.

Regarding the Chatterbox forum, It had developed into a urinating-match between half-a-dozen people that proved impossible to moderate and drew repeated complaints from other forum members. Temporarily banning the culprits failed to improve matters and the Administrator chose to alter the 'purpose' of the Chatterbox forum to Chat about anything and everything motorhome, caravanning and camping related... This effectively made Chatterbox superfluous and it might as well be deleted in its entirety.

There is a forum Code of Conduct that isn't difficult to understand

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/62760-out-about-live-forum-code-of-conduct/#comment-710338

Threads or postings are not being frozen or removed without good reason - either they directly conflict with the Code of Conduct or they have developed into a 'I must have the last word' contest without progressing the thread's usefulness. 

As you've observed, the O&AL forums are free to join and participate on. We are all O&AL forum members on sufferance - none of us has a God-given right to post here and that includes the forum moderators. If you don't like how the forum is being managed, complain to the Administrator.

25 minutes ago, Derek Uzzell said:

If you don't like how the forum is being managed, complain to the Administrator.

Never bothered because members who have said he is not interested

Easier just to move on somewhere else.

51 minutes ago, Derek Uzzell said:

(Threads are being frozen because) they have developed into a 'I must have the last word' contest without progressing the thread's usefulness. 

Well you don't know if anyone is about to post something useful

The only sure way to stop the thread becoming more useful is to freeze it. 

Or throw the baby out with the bathwater and delete it.

1 hour ago, John52 said:

Never bothered because members who have said he is not interested

Which is obvious by one of the moderators he allows on  the forum just doing google searches an posting links to the answers having no recent personal contact with the hobby

1 hour ago, witzend said:

Which is obvious by one of the moderators he allows on  the forum just doing google searches an posting links to the answers having no recent personal contact with the hobby

Well I admire him for spending time and effort researching the answer for somebody.

I might do the same were it not for the possibility of the thread disappearing 5 minutes later, making it a waste of time.  So if I can't remember the answer without looking it up I don't bother.

5 hours ago, John52 said:

Good

If you paid to go to a show and it was crap you would have a right to complain.

But we should remember we don't pay for the content here.

Its provided free by the members.

So if there is a dearth of interesting content its as much your fault as anyone elses.

So show us what you can do.

Sorry John, don't quite understand your reply -

Den said he misses the technical chat, hence my response regarding a previous post about my EBL issue.

He also commented about S/S mugs? - to which I attempted a witty reply.

There were really only one or two people responsible for the demise of Chatterbox....with the irony being they also destroyed their own 'soap box' in the process 

Sadly, it seems one of those individuals is blissfully unaware he's doing the same with Motorhome Matters

3 hours ago, John52 said:

Well I admire him for spending time and effort researching the answer for somebody.

I might do the same were it not for the possibility of the thread disappearing 5 minutes later, making it a waste of time.  So if I can't remember the answer without looking it up I don't bother.

These are the actions that a forum moderator can carry out on forum threads..

image.png.1d3d22dd80694ffae9069583b37b559f.png

and a moderator can also Edit, Hide, Split or Delete individual postings.

But the chances are minimal that a thread will suddenly disappear without warning, though it could happen if a  moderator/administrator accidentally deletes it.

Normal practice is to not delete a thread, but to move it to the Admin Quarantine forum (not visible to non-moderators/administrators) where the thread is in limbo but might be returned to the forum it started life in after there has been moderator/administrator discussion about it - but the last time this happened with a non-spam thread was in October 2023 and the thread stays in Admin Quarantine.

So, if you are prepared to spend time on valid research, there's no realistic risk that you'll be wasting your time because the thread in which you intended to publish the results of your research will have disappeared.

On the other hand, if a thread has just become an argumentative sparring match (as has happened twice recently) 'locking' brings this to a halt and does not impact on useful postings earlier in the thread. I don't have prospicience, but I'm pretty confident should I decide to lock a thread that the sparrers are not suddenly going to come up with something ultra-valuable. If I lock a thread and someone is in the middle of typing a long composition and then can't post it, that's unfortunate. But I'm unconvinced that, at the point when the thread gets locked, the sparrers are unaware that they have been risking moderator action.

5 minutes ago, Derek Uzzell said:

...but the last time this happened with a non-spam thread was in October 2023 and the thread stays in Admin Quarantine.

And that thread was actually removed because it was unpaid advertising and removed at Daniel's request.

So the actual last (vaguely) MH related post to be removed was last MAY. 

As has been said before, keep it clean and avoid sparring matches and posts will not be deleted.