First service on 23 plate Ducato due in August

I don't think it has to be Fiat Professional, perhaps a normal Fiat service will suffice.

I know that independent organizations (e.g. Midas) declare that their interventions during the period covered by the warranty are recognized by the manufacturers.

Maybe.

I don't think others, especially small ones, can provide the same guarantees.

Since it is the first service, I would do it at an official organization (either branded or at least authorized).

I thought the specified service intervals even for the current Ducato were still 2 Years/30,000 miles?

If so, servicing at 1 Year won't be required to maintain the warranty, and if asked any Fiat Pro garage is likely, if anything, to do only an oil and filter change (at a rather extortionate price).

I prefer to change oil annually, and am happy to do it myself, but I've run my last two 'vans for the full 2 years from new before first service (at a Fiat Pro garage) in order to maintain some potential "goodwill". The warranty on those 'vans have both been only two years.

Subsequent 2-yearly services undertaken by myself, with an unscheduled intermediate oil and filter change.

I think technically the old EU rules still apply, and that warranties can be maintained by servicing at a VAT-registered garage with OE parts. Proving it in case of a warranty claim might prove difficult (from experience, even Fiat Pro garages seldom use the OE Selenia oils), and it is likely to scupper any out-of-warranty "goodwill".   

It's worthwhile checking your handbook for the Service Schedule - the recent copy I've referenced still appears to be 2 Years/30000 miles. 

52 minutes ago, Robinhood said:

I thought the specified service intervals even for the current Ducato were still 2 Years/30,000 miles?

If so, servicing at 1 Year won't be required to maintain the warranty, and if asked any Fiat Pro garage is likely, if anything, to do only an oil and filter change (at a rather extortionate price).

I prefer to change oil annually, and am happy to do it myself, but I've run my last two 'vans for the full 2 years from new before first service (at a Fiat Pro garage) in order to maintain some potential "goodwill". The warranty on those 'vans have both been only two years.

Subsequent 2-yearly services undertaken by myself, with an unscheduled intermediate oil and filter change.

I think technically the old EU rules still apply, and that warranties can be maintained by servicing at a VAT-registered garage with OE parts. Proving it in case of a warranty claim might prove difficult (from experience, even Fiat Pro garages seldom use the OE Selenia oils), and it is likely to scupper any out-of-warranty "goodwill".   

It's worthwhile checking your handbook for the Service Schedule - the recent copy I've referenced still appears to be 2 Years/30000 miles. 

Agreed.  I always got ours serviced by a main agent - or a Fiat authorised repairer (identifiable via the Fiat UK website), who would also carry out any recall work etc. - which independents are unlikely to be able to do.  The garage we used for several years was actually a DAF HGV dealership who were also Fiat authorised repairers and, unlike Robinhood's experience, did use Selenia oils and greases (I know this because not only did the invoice say so, but they invariable left the part empty can of the appropriate grade of Selenia fully synthetic engine oil in the van after servicing!  🙂).

These vans are already costly, and it seems wisest to ensure that all the warranties are maintained in force for their full duration, rather than risking at the least an argument over whether the warranty conditions have been met, and at worst a possibly substantial bill for repair that would otherwise have been FoC under the warranty.

I got a soot sensor replaced under warranty on my 2 1/2  year old Ducato (Its a van not a motorhome so gets an extra year's Fiat Professional Dealers warranty.)

The dealer said there is no service record (I do it myself) but when I pointed out the soot sensor is not a service item so it makes no difference if its been serviced or not, they accepted it and replaced it under warranty.

Hi

Always make sure who ever does your service,  is capable of downloading any important updates (ecu software updates) for your vehicle

You can always contact Fiat helpline direct  00 800 3428 00 00
02034508702 I am sure the will advise 

In the meantime  maybe "Adiebt " will tells us what are his terms and conditions schedule as per Fiat and his dealer?

Regards

Edited by onecal

There's useful advice in the FAQ section of this link

https://www.fiatcamper.com/en/mopar/customer-service

and a summary of the Ducato motorhome warranty terms and conditions here

https://www.fiatcamper.com/en/mopar/warranty-servicing

Although having a Ducato motorhome's servicing carried out by an 'independent' garage is permissible during the Fiat warranty period, to maintain the warranty requires the garage to adhere strictly to Fiat's servicing requirements and - if an under-warranty claim were subsequently submitted to Fiat - it would be necessary for the motorhome's owner to provide documentation proving that this had been done. Also (as mentioned above) the chances are minimal that software revisions/modifications that would be included by a Fiat Professional agent during servicing could be made by an independent garage.

An engine oil/filter change for a 2023 diesel-fuelled Ducato requires about 6 litres of lubricant. The oil recommended in the Ducato handbook is SELENIA WR FORWARD 0W-30 and the on-line per-litre asking price for this is £17-£24 (ie. £102-£144 for 6 litres).

My 2015 Ducato-based Rapido motorhome was serviced during my 6 years of ownership at Motus Commercials Fiat at Gloucester and, at its first service in 2017, the recommended SELENIA oil was used (about £80 if I remember correctly). After that I had the Rapido serviced annually, but a different oil (but to Fiat's specification) was used at significantly less cost. The service manager told me that, if there were an under-warranty claim, Fiat had proven to be very picky about non-Fiat-recommended 'parts' having been used and habitually demanded a sample of the oil for analysis. He said that, once the warranty had expired, there was no really persuasive reason to use SELENIA provided that the different oil met Fiat's specification.

(Incidentally, this is the first thread I've encountered where the 'justification' of some postings was centralised

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/64545-posting-page-justification/

In this case mtravel's posting and onecal's first posting were affected.)

Posted (edited)

I’ve decided to have an interim service performed at a Fiat approved garage in Manchester in August 2024 and the scheduled service in August 2025.

Interim consists of oil and filter change and general check of vehicle systems. 

Edited by Adiebt