VW Gatcombe wing mirror

From the beginning of the 1990s to the mid-2000s Auto-Sleepers produced Clubman, Gatcombe and Sherbourne coachbuilt models. These had a Volkswagen T4 chassis with GRP bodywork and they all had VW 'extended' rear-view mirrors on their cab doors.

This photo shows the mirrors of a 2002 Gatcombe

image.png.cbcf3dc488942a1b9a5299cede783d72.png

Auto-Sleepers was not the only company building coachbuilt designs based on the VW T4. Compass produced the "Calypso" model and that also had the extended mirrors.

This 2018 MotorHomeFacts thread enquired about sourcing a replacement mirror for a Calypso.

https://www.motorhomefacts.com/threads/vw-extended-wing-mirrors.230274/

It was pointed out the mirrors came in two parts - the mirror 'head' and the tubular 'arms' mounting-unit. Kendal VW Centre

https://www.kendalvwcentre.co.uk/ 

had been able to supply the required part(s) but this was 6 years ago and that may well not be the case nowadays.

Oonagh has not said how much of the mirror is required (the complete unit, or just the head, or just the mirror glass) nor whether it's the left or right mirror.

This German on-line seller advertises extended mirrors

https://www.bus-ok.de/T4-Mirrors

but I can't find a UK on-line supplier that does.

Hi 

Yes they are extended as on the Sherbourne and I think may be still available . 

Auto-Sleepers https://auto-sleepers.com › owners › parts-enquiry Should be able to help or Kendal VW parts Kendalvwcentre.co.uk. or UAB Ovoko Žirmūnų g. 70 - 701, LT-09124 Vilnius, Lithuania. Phone: +370 673 34 330. Also available from Germany but very expensive Uwe Lehmann, Dreschenkampweg 5, 49326 Melle.    EMail: thebusmen@aol.com

Regards

Edited by onecal

The VW T4 extended mirrors are often referred to as DOKA mirrors (DOKA is a contraction of the German word "Dopplekabin" indicating a crew cab/double cab version of a pickup).

Comments on the VW T4 forum warn that the mirror glass is convex on the driver's side and flat on the passenger side - so care would be needed if buying abroad, where the mirrors will be appropriate for left-hand-drive vehicles.

A June 2022 enquiry on the Auto-Sleepers Owners Forum (ASOC) asked

Can anyone help me locate a LH Wing Mirror glass for my 2005 Gatcombe? It is discontinued at VW main dealers and local motor parts cannot help. Not available on ebay either, thanks.

and a June 2022 ASOC posting about sourcing replacement mirrors for a 1997 Clubman model received the following reply

Doka mirrors are mega mega expensive to replace as they are fetching £300 a pair USED, I suggest you get the arms powder coated and replace the glass OR if the glass case is smashed look on eBay and type in JCB or tractor mirrors as you can use the mirror/case on your original Doka arms.

If Ooonagh just needs the glass part of the mirror, that might not be too difficult. If the complete mirror, or the head part is needed, that will be much harder to find.

8 hours ago, onecal said:

Hi 

Yes they are extended as on the Sherbourne and I think may be still available . 

Also available from Germany 

If considering Germany, just check the mirrors aren't "handed". I have a feeling that even the extended T4 mirrors aren't the same on both sides to correct for the angle from the driving seat. On the extended ones the arm might be longer on one side than the other, and the part numbers would then be different for LHD and RHD. I'm far from sure, but I would check visually.

The standard mirrors are most certainly handed and different shapes either side.

Yes, 'one night stands' on forums are irritating, impolite and seem to be commonplace nowadays.

As the Gatcombe's GRP body is relatively narrow, it might be a realistic proposition to replace the extended mirrors with the shorter versions as advertised by this UK supplier

https://www.justkampers.com/vw-t4-parts/body-window-seals-trims-accessories/mirrors.html

At least then there shouldn't be a problem with potential differences between RHD and LHD.

Hi Derek

Sadly they are not wide enough, The arms of the mirror can be re made if damaged (usally badly bent) and the stick on glass is available as is the housing . A lot with the  A.S. Sherbourne  ( I think was the same as the Gatcombe) I have dealt with some years ago like them 12.5mm .  1/2 "   wider. Easy fabrication and sprayed matt black. Anyway this may help others on here that may have an Auto Sleeper of that vintage 

Regards

Edited by onecal

4 hours ago, Keithl said:

Well seen as @oonagh wilkinson hasn't logged on since posting the query I doubt we will get any more help here...

TBF, one doesn't have to login to read replies, so calling someone out after a day might well be previous.

As to behaviour overall, this is the internet, no point in getting too worked up about it!