New Thetford fridge freezer 4145E +

New fridge all ok, EHU problem is on my 2005 Burstner Elegance 681, gas and 12 v all good, put EHU on starts ok then after 18 minutes lights are flashing , tested off motorhome all good, any help appreciated regards Steve 

I notice that you made an enquiry at the end of April using exactly the same 'topic' title (New Thetford fridge freezer 4145E +)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/65776-new-thetford-fridge-freezer-4145e/

but I'm not sure if the present problem relates to the Thetford fridge/freezer you were referring to back in April or to an under-warranty replacement fridge/freezer that was installed since April.

Posted (edited)

Hi

Have you an error code 8? Or what error code have you ? 5A AC glass fuse replaced and connection checked ?Did they replace the 240 v AC heater to start with after checking all connections and wiring for continuity first ?

Regards

Edited by onecal
  • Like 1

As I said, the fridge has been tested off motorhome and is faultless, forget fault codes , element etc,  the problem is somewhere in my motorhome, which baffles the engineers, starts and cools then flashing lights,  after 18 minutes, my question, does anyone know what  this is, some questions irrelevant in previous replies, but thanks anyway , regards Steve 

Posted (edited)

Hi

You say it works off your motorhome and is faultless ???? Ok so you really only need to check your supply to your motorhome for volt drop as it may be the issue.Check all connections from your supply to your fusebox also all connections and breakers within  Your engineer should be able to this for you Of course as Keithl as mentioned your 12v supply may be a big issue if not powered up or staying powered up  Easily checked with a meter to see if you actually have 12v.dc and does it drop off after the 18 minuets as you say. 

Best of luck with it 

Regards

Edited by onecal
  • Like 1

Thanks for advise, I'm sure engineers did voltage checks , he put new CB on and plug socket to go direct to fridge from original set up, will keep all informed if when answer comes, cheers all and appreciated 

If he has only tested the mains power supply then he is probably missing a fault on the 12 volt feed. Try wiring the 12 volt feed directly back from the leisure battery bypassing any control panels, etc, etc.

18 hours ago, Keithl said:

If he has only tested the mains power supply then he is probably missing a fault on the 12 volt feed. Try wiring the 12 volt feed directly back from the leisure battery bypassing any control panels, etc, etc.

Are you saying do this to check or permanently wire this way, when first fitted ,it was wired like this, kept melting 20 amp fuse, new fitter ripped all out, 

I meant only for a check. 

There should be two sets of 12 volt wiring going to the fridge. A pair of smaller sized wires  to power the fridges control panel and a much larger sized pair to power the heating element and these should only be live when the engine is running (unless the fridge has a built in 'engine on' control). 

The larger pair should ideally be wired from a point as close as possible to the engine alternator, typically the starter battery positive is used and then fed via relay.

I am suggesting wiring the smaller sized pair directly to the leisure battery, as a test only, to rule out any power supply issues on the control panel feed.

If the 'previous wiring' was blowing a 20 Amp fuse then this suggests a fault somewhere in the circuit! Has the fuse blown since being rewired and, more importantly, how did the fitter rewire it?

Keith.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Keithl said:

I meant only for a check. 

There should be two sets of 12 volt wiring going to the fridge. A pair of smaller sized wires  to power the fridges control panel and a much larger sized pair to power the heating element and these should only be live when the engine is running (unless the fridge has a built in 'engine on' control). 

The larger pair should ideally be wired from a point as close as possible to the engine alternator, typically the starter battery positive is used and then fed via relay.

I am suggesting wiring the smaller sized pair directly to the leisure battery, as a test only, to rule out any power supply issues on the control panel feed.

If the 'previous wiring' was blowing a 20 Amp fuse then this suggests a fault somewhere in the circuit! Has the fuse blown since being rewired and, more importantly, how did the fitter rewire it?

Keith.

No, no such problems since rewired back home in Devon, ,we were on 90 days Spain Portugal with the problems, , gave up used gas,  the fitter here couldn't understand the way it was wired, told us would be ok, flashing lights again, he said problem is with the fridge, he wired from original wiring  which has been checked by Thetford reg people 

IMG_20240603_143343_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20240603_143308.jpg

Edited by rawhide
Hope this helps

So your problem could still be with the lower current 12 volt supply for the fridges control panel.

Do you have a voltmeter? If yes then measure the voltage at the smaller sized wires in your photo to check the supply. Then wait until the 18 minutes is up and re check.

Hi

You do say your Fridge works perfect outside your van , with two different independent supplies of both AC  and DC

Why not break it down and supply the fridge in your motorhome with

1.  With an independent AC  first  (see if the 18 min fault reoccurs ) 

2. Then with an independent battery D.C (see if the 18 min fault reoccurs) 

If it works as you say, all ok now

3. Take away the independent  AC supply and re plug to the Motorhome AC supply

4. Take away the DC independent supply and re instate the Motorhome DC supply  

This should easily diagnose which circuit is your issue

Re the timing , Has your engineer checked it's (the DC) is not wired into a timed circuit in your motorhome ?  

Regards  

• Like 1

@rawhide You have said a couple of times that the MH wiring has been checked by 'Thetford reg people' but yet the problem still persists so they are missing something obvious and now is the time for you to roll up your sleeves and find that problem yourself.

We have suggested two or three very simple things to try and/or check yet so far you do not appear to have tried any of them so come on, roll up your sleeves and get your screwdriver and multimeter out!

We are waiting with baited breath for your next update...

50 years building trade 40 years my own business, roll up my sleeves , the very simple things these people can't solve, at moment emails to Apuljack about Reich box, have fun keep smiling 

• Like 1