New Thetford fridge freezer 4145E +

On 31/05/2024 at 21:49, rawhide said:

...then after 18 minutes lights are flashing...

Is it always exactly 18 minutes or just an approx time? If exact then it implies an electronic timer rather than a drop of voltage or similar.

Posted (edited)

These fridges do have a automatic 15 minute gas shutdown feature , to avoid the fridge  switching to gas when refueling if the fridge is set to auto select , and I wonder if this could be linked to the problem somehow. (through the control electronics or the control power supply connections ? )

Edited by Labby
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Labby said:

These fridges do have a automatic 15 minute gas shutdown feature , to avoid the fridge  switching to gas when refueling if the fridge is set to auto select , and I wonder if this could be linked to the problem somehow. (through the control electronics or the control power supply connections ? )

And the flashing light usually signifies no gas supply, correct?

So is something like a voltage drop invokes the 15 (18?) minute timer then when the timer is up the fridge tries to switch to gas but the gas is turned off the lights start flashing to say no gas. 

That sounds like a plausible cause. Good catch @Labby if that really is the problem.

@rawhide Was the gas turned off when the problem occurs? If yes then turn it on and repeat, if the fridge now switches to gas operation you are part way to solving your problem.

Labbys gas idea, I'm Fraid was a  no ,  I have unplugged EHU extension lead from house, all 12 v system switched on, ITS WORKING, NO FLASHING LIGHTS , so an I right in thinking all 22 v system is good,, is problem fusebox hook up

The operating window for the fridge mains operation is between 210v - 250v  ,has this voltage been checked at the rear of the fridge to confirm it is ok  at that point when on EHU using the Motorhome supply and also when using a different 230v supply .

It is also possible that the fridge electronic control is faulty and not working as it should with the Automatic energy supply of gas/12v/230v

5 hours ago, Labby said:

The operating window for the fridge mains operation is between 210v - 250v  ,has this voltage been checked at the rear of the fridge to confirm it is ok  at that point when on EHU using the Motorhome supply and also when using a different 230v supply .

It is also possible that the fridge electronic control is faulty and not working as it should with the Automatic energy supply of gas/12v/230v

Thetford fitters have worked on fridge , all checked, the fridge good

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for previous help,  I'm no further on with this problem, there are no problems with fridge, I have a ring of 5 socket in the van, the fridge has 13 amp plug from fridge connection, to plug in to ring,  its fine for 15 to 18 minutes then flashing lights,  disconnect EHU , extension lead from house electric, it works 100% , I've checked cables, connection s etc, could it be a new hook up is needed  , had van 11 years, it's Burstner Elegance 681 year 2005,  

If the problem is not there when you use an extension lead direct to the fridge the problem could be the EHU lead or its connection plugs, have you tried another EHU lead ? . If you have tried this , and there was still a problem , I think  that it would be worth looking at the Motorhome EHU lead entry box and the Motorhome PSU mains supply switches. 

I thought I got a result, I wired the fridge socket feed from CB which has 5 or 6 feeds, to the RCD which is just wired to EHU, fridge worked spot on, left over night no problem, then found charger wasn't charging, now wired as was, fridge has flashing lights again, can anyone see why charger went down

On 20/06/2024 at 11:25, onecal said:

Hi

OK , In your present fault mode , it's still flashing after 16/18 minutes ? Try leaving the ignition turned on 

Regards

The 230 EHU is plugged in , why would I do that

• 2 weeks later...

Help again required if possible,, 2005 Burstner Elegance 681, Thetford 4145 E ,+, this fridge ok gas and 12 v, switch to electric ok for 15- 18 mins then flashing lights ,  followed cables check, fitted all new earths , new hook up, new consumer unit,  new fridge. Socket,  same problem, on old consumer unit I wired direct off RCD , fridge worked spot on and left overnight , no problems, fridge but charger stopped working,, wired back, after new parts fitted, extension lead from house plugged in fridge,  no hook up plugged ,ok  left as is then plugged hook up in, all ok and charger working, I'm not spark and gone as far as I can, anyone out there with a fix , please don't mention engineers, seen to many and lost money, I very much appreciated all help and suggestions last time, thanks everyone 

The error code would confirm that a power drop is causing the problem (error 10).

Is there a connection spur for anything on the cable going to the fridge , if there is , could it be a possible cause of any power drop ,  (poor connection in a spur creating a resistance ? )

Back in April Steve said this:

Fridge ok on gas and 12v driving, from day one on electric gets cold then after 15 - 18 minutes lights start flashing giving fault code of code 9 which is a new board, 2 replaced and also an element, it's still doing the same thing,... 

As the Thetford fridge operates OK on 230V when it is powered from Steve's house via an extension cable, I'd give up trying to get the fridge to work as one might expect it should when operating as part of the motorhome's electrical system. Basically, rewire the motorhome so that the fridge gets its own dedicated 230V power-supply that has no link to anything else in the vehicle.

This would be a cop-out, as, when integrated into the motorhome's electrical system in the same way as its Dometic predecessor, the Thetford fridge OUGHT to work satisfactorily when switching automatically between gas, 12V and 230V operation (or when manually set to 230V). However, after 18 months of effort by professional technicians, replacement of multiple parts and Steve's own inability to pin down the cause of the issue, it's surely time for a simplified root and branch approach that - if there is actually nothing wrong with the fridge itself - is bound to succeed.

1 hour ago, Derek Uzzell said:

Back in April Steve said this:

Fridge ok on gas and 12v driving, from day one on electric gets cold then after 15 - 18 minutes lights start flashing giving fault code of code 9 which is a new board, 2 replaced and also an element, it's still doing the same thing,... 

As the Thetford fridge operates OK on 230V when it is powered from Steve's house via an extension cable, I'd give up trying to get the fridge to work as one might expect it should when operating as part of the motorhome's electrical system. Basically, rewire the motorhome so that the fridge gets its own dedicated 230V power-supply that has no link to anything else in the vehicle.

This would be a cop-out, as, when integrated into the motorhome's electrical system in the same way as its Dometic predecessor, the Thetford fridge OUGHT to work satisfactorily when switching automatically between gas, 12V and 230V operation (or when manually set to 230V). However, after 18 months of effort by professional technicians, replacement of multiple parts and Steve's own inability to pin down the cause of the issue, it's surely time for a simplified root and branch approach that - if there is actually nothing wrong with the fridge itself - is bound to succeed.

Just read that Derek, thank you,  it seems anything I do as soon as I hook up, all fails, as said previously, I tried just for the hell of it, wiring off the incoming RCD , bingo it worked and stayed on all night,  but this is not safe so I'm t old and also charger wasn't working,  but now I've fitted new EHU and consumer unit, I'm tempted to try it, your thoughts appreciated , but I think I know the answer