Gas attacks

Brian Kirby

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Saturday my neighbour told me that a friend of his had told him to warn me of gas attacks on people owning vans, who are then robbed of all their cash etc. I told him it was an urban myth and there was no evidence to support these stories. But he insisted that his friend actually knew the person concerned. So it must be true! Afterall how much more evidence do you need?

This got me thinking and at first, not wanting to be gassed in a foreign land I decided to sell the van. Then I thought "No Stephen, don't let them win!" So I thought again and came up with a sign for sticking on my van.

" F.A.O. anyone thinking of gassing the occupants of this van. We have fitted an alarm, this will make a noise and wake us up".

Since fitting the notice on Sunday we have not been gassed, so it has proved itself already!

If anyone wants to buy a copy of this notice I will make it available to forum members for the one time price of £100.00. Remember this notice has been tested and is 100% effective at saving you from gassing! It can be issued in French, German or Italian at no extra cost but for Polish or Romanian there is a £50.00 translation fee.

It's a bargain so buy now to save disappointement or death!

:-D

Guest Tracker

As you are probably at far greater risk of being gassed in Warrington than any where else in the known universe your action makes sense to us happy folks at low risk.

May I suggest that for your own greater protection that you patent your idea and maybe the Dragons in their den will give you their backing for such a wonderful new idea?

WARNING:

It is anticipated that there will shortly be a spate of gas attacks.

Rumour has it that these will coincide with the festive season at a time that people are enjoying themselves, and are therefore so imbibed with alcohol that they are easy prey, especially as the influence of the alcohol will make it all too easy for them to fall asleep in unfamiliar and/or insecure surroundings and therefore are less likely to be on the lookout for possible miscreants.

The suggested 'peak' of gas attack activity is expected to be at around 3.00 pm on 25th December .......

As reported by ...

Sgt Sprout

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tracker, as we in Warrington have been exposed to every known gas already, (being blown from Widnes, just up the road), we are hardened to most chemicals!

I like to think of myself as a "giving person and I was only trying to offer help to others that may want to travel safely in robber infested Europe! I don't want to make money from my "invention", the costs quoted are for my "expences" only and are not intended to make a profit! :-D

• 2 weeks later...

Tomo3090

Im sorry if I appear to be trying to undercut your wonderful, inventive business enterprise but

One of the safety modifications that I have carried out to our caravan is to simply drill a small hole through the door latch and each evening I insert a small pin into that hole this then prevents the latch being moved by the door handle or anything else.

This invention will be free for anyone to copy.

Hope this doesn't affect your retirement income too severely

Good idea Syd, but where it falls down is that the rascals have already tried to get into your van before the latch pin does its' work, whereas with my notice they are detered BEFORE trying the doors etc.

Plus there is the chance of causing damage to your locks by drilling in the wrong place, thus causing samage itself. So all in all my notice is a better buy all round.

But well done you for trying!! :-D

p.s buy now for Christmas

Do you know I am disgusted with you lot of grown men that are supposed to be helpfull :-( I look on this site for information that might be informative being comparatively new to motorhoming !! and yes I have heard story,s or gas attacks! one not so long ago in the C.C Mag; and intending venturing abroad next year for the first time I am a little apprehensive about these story,s although my OH like you says its riddiculous. Why do you make comments on a thread WHEN YOU HAVE NOTHING TO SAY?

Guest Tracker
maggyd - 2007-12-28 12:00 PM

Yes I have Dave, and I know the overall oppinion is that it just doesnt happen!! but when I log on and see that there is another contribution to the thread I get sucked in to read it and it is another load of drivel.

Maggy thinks that we're all sad

and threads of humour make her mad.

Shame - as we are only having fun,

come join us Maggy - job well done.

It's more than fun - it's such a gas,

and I am such a silly ass.

But being 'us' is what we all do,

welcome Maggy - there's room for you!

maggyd - 2007-12-28 12:00 PM

Yes I have Dave, and I know the overall oppinion is that it just doesnt happen!! but when I log on and see that there is another contribution to the thread I get sucked in to read it and it is another load of drivel.

If you are worried about these rumours just stick to campsites. All the 'stories' are about people in parking areas or wild camping.

I've been camping and motorhoming mostly on the continent for 40 years or so and I've never met anyone or heard of anyone who's been 'attacked' in this way on a campsite.

I did once hear that it happened on a sleeper train in eastern Europe somewhere so these stories are not just about camping.

I should think you're more likely to have your pocket picked on a city break.

( So I'm told - don't do cities myself)

Maggyd! Maggyd!

Please just look at your van, its' size and how it is constructed. Think of how much gas it would take to fill it to the point where you would be "overcome". Ask yourself how much would that much anaesthetic(?) gas cost to buy, where would someone buy it from and how big a container it would take to carry it. Then ask yourself why someone would go to that expense and trouble when you are in a van with plastic windows and they could get in with a penknife!

"Gassing" doesn't happen because most thefts from motorhomes are opportunists who see an expensive telly, computer, wallet or handbag and break in and get them.

We went abroad for the first time this year and we were worried about our safety, but then we thought you can get robbed at home, so why let it spoil our trip. If you look after yourselves and use your life experience and common sense you will have a fantastic trip, with hopefully no problems, then come home and join us sceptics who have a laugh at what is at best an urban myth and at worst horror stories that put people off enjoying touring Continental Europe in their vans.

But if you are still worried send me the cash and I'll send you one of my leaflets, We haven't been gassed yet so they must work! :-D

Guest Le Thou

Hi Maggyd

Spot on...you get certain people on here (might be la femme) that reply to a post and say " I can't help you but I'm sure there is someone on here who can"

As for gas attacks, we just sleep with ww2 gas masks on, does the trick

Guest Le Thou

Hi Maggyd

Spot on...you get certain people on here (might be la femme) that reply to a post and say " I can't help you but I'm sure there is someone on here who can"

As for gas attacks, we just sleep with ww2 gas masks on, does the trick

Did anyone else notice that in the 'slow lane' piece, Martin referred to having met someone who had thwarted a 'gas attack'?

I wonder if MMM would like to enquire more of Martin to see what his acquaintance had to say on the matter as a possible 'victim'? Might clear the matter up once and for all??? 8-)

• 8 months later...

I read a small piece in a newspaper today, about an actress somewhere in Spain who was gassed and robbed whilst asleep in her villa.

Apparently an East European gang are responsible for a spate of robberies such as this one. They pump the villa full of gas to 'knock out' the occupants and any guard dogs, then help themselves.

It was in the Daily Star Sunday...so it must be true. 

Archived