Gas attacks

Brian Kirby

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Frank Wilkinson
Knaus - 2007-01-26 11:20 AM Why hasn't someone done an experiment with 'gas' to ascertain if it could actually be done. I don't mean use humans, but surely some kind of sensors could be used.

Have you read Brian's original post?

Frank Wilkinson - 2007-01-26 8:10 AM

People are robbed every day at home whilst they are deep in sleep. But if it happens on holiday, when the chances are that they are even deeper in sleep after a long journey or a glass or two of wine, then course, they must have been gassed!

How anyone can read Brian Kirby's article, which is the only sensible thing that I've every read about this subject, and then still claim that they've been gassed, beggars belief!

Well then that's your opinion.Not all expert are right (cot death experts springs to mind)We WERE robbed and that all I can say.I gave you a detailed reply but you still take the Pi$$.Why people ask these question amazes me as they don't seem to like or understand the reply.Pig and Ignorant springs to mind!!!!!!!!!!!

Road Runner - 2007-02-01 4:36 PM
Frank Wilkinson - 2007-01-26 8:10 AM

People are robbed every day at home whilst they are deep in sleep. But if it happens on holiday, when the chances are that they are even deeper in sleep after a long journey or a glass or two of wine, then course, they must have been gassed!

How anyone can read Brian Kirby's article, which is the only sensible thing that I've every read about this subject, and then still claim that they've been gassed, beggars belief!

Well then that's your opinion.Not all expert are right (cot death experts springs to mind)We WERE robbed and that all I can say.I gave you a detailed reply but you still take the Pi$$.Why people ask questions like this amaze me as they don't seem to like or understand the reply.Pig and Ignorant springs to mind!!!!!!!!!!!

well , I for one can understand Road runners annoyance at people. He was asked he told and people still don't believe. Just because people don't believe does not mean the guy is telling fib's.

I think where everyone get's hung up with this topic is the word GAS ....

Who the hell know's what it is they are using.....ANY OF YOU?

I certainly would not want to call people a liar ........Just because we don't know what it is that they are using or because someone choose to say I was robbed when asleep and did not wake up nor the dog /or I was robbed when asleep heard nothing and woke up on the floor does not mean they had a drink either.

If it happened to me I can assure you it would not be through drink .......Simple reason I cannot drink it makes me vomit it's like poison to my system ... So If I woke up on the floor I would obviously be looking as to how in the hell did I get there . To me it would be an obvious conclusion that someone somewhere had used some concoction GAS/ who know's ...

Also why are so many people claiming that it has happened to them THIS CONCOCTION . I see no reason to disbelieve the family that was just at the start of there hols with us. They had nothing to gain in putting on a show to us...They would never see us again we were not a witness to the event so why lie............. I don't for one minute believe they have.

They used the word GAS perhaps because people can see no other way to discribe or explain what the hell has happened to them..

So they know that they have been knocked out but just can't explain what with ?........

:-(

I'm sorry michele but I can't understand Roadrunner's annoyance. In his posting detailing the burglary he openly said "Whether you care to believe it or not...." but when someone disbeleives it he goes off on one.

I don't disbeleive that Road runner's motorhome was robbed but I do disbeleive any kind of anaesthetic gas was used for the rerasons outlined in the reply from the Royal college of anaesthetists. I have no explanation for how the thefts were carried out.

As the crime was committed on the continent and roadrunner has offered a viewing of the police report I can only assume he has a copy. If this is the case I see no reason why it couldn't be scanned and e-mailed to interested parties.

Sadly, yet again, there is no hard medical evidence to prove that an anaesthetic was used. Until someone can come up with medical proof of anaesthesia being used I for one choose to not beleive that any kind of narcotic/anaesthetic gas is being used.

D.

If you are sure that you will definitely wake up if someone tries to purloin your possessions in close proximity, or can move you, why not have a go! Get someone or a few someones then get them to wait until about 3.00 am and you are fast asleep, and they try to gently move you from your bed onto the floor - if there are enough of them there I'm sure they could do it - how else do you explain being able to move children from room to room when they are asleep, if it works for them, who not adults? Add into the equasion that you are very tired, maybe after a long journey, that you are on holiday, so are a bit more relaxed, and in some cases have had a tot or two.

Don't forget that these burglars are experts in their field, they are definitely going to be able to gain entry and remove items without making a noise, they're well used to it. Again, get someone to try this whilst you sleep - my husband can have conversations in his sleep, get up and go to the loo, let the dogs out and then come back to bed and in the morning not know anything about it. He does it very rarely admittedly but if he can do this, it's not impossible for someone to be moving around near to you and not wake you.

The only way I can think of to make sure that you wake up if someone tries to brake in is to have a very loud alarm fitted that will definitely go off if illegal entry is attempted, that way the sound would raise you from your slumbers ... assuming you want to be awoken to face the burglar of course!

If you read back told you if you came to Bedford you welcome to my home SEE the police report.

If you dont come then your not in a position to judge (oh but you are cos you know EVERYTHING?) I believe expert witnesses have locked a few good mothers up with stupid evidence orf cot deaths!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was robbed along with others full stop!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW:- at my size it's not something i am proud of *-) and my wife is now paranoid about where we pitch up so all in all done us a great deal of harm.

Road Runner

I'm sorry you were robbed, we've been burgled at home twice so I know how upsetting it can be.

We are, however, all entitled to have our own opinions as to how the robbery was carried out, no one is disputing that you were robbed, it is that just we'll never know for sure exactly how they did it, I wish we did, it would at least give us something to watch out for and try to protect ourselves from.

As for cot deaths, yes some Mums have been locked up totally wrongly, however, not all of these experts are wrong and in some cases are unfortunately right. I wish we didn't need such experts in the first place.

I know it's not easy to do, but please try not to let it prevent you going out in your motohrome, possessions can be replaced but your spending time having fun and enjoying yourself is precious.

:-)

I have copied these posts as best I can from anough thread.

Hi All,

Below is an old posting of mine - but a good reminder to be careful out there.

We have been going over to France for 6 years now, almost always stopping on the aires d' service all over France, for two months at a time twice a year. We had no problems until Sept 12th last year.

We parked at the Arromanches aire for about the 11th time, its a well lit aire and was full, the car park behind had around 15 camping cars too.

At 0230hrs I had just made a cup of hot lemon drink for my wife, we sat down on our sofa beds, occaisionaly chatting and heard the central locking activating.

Opening the front cab curtain found the prospective tea leaf looking at me through the cab side window, he turned tail and ran off, I came out of the habitation door with the biggest kitchen knife I could find to give chase.

I didn't catch him or even get a really good look at him, but a car reversed out of the car park at high speed, so I guess it was the thieves. It was a good job I didn't catch them as they would have given me a good pasting!

My sister who has a van blitz alarm was parked next to us, didn't set it (because she always felt safe on this aires), had just over £1000 lifted from her handbag, which they put back in the camper minus the grand, they sorted through the credit cards but didn't take them.

Just to put it in perspective, we were also nearly broken into at the savernake forest nr Marlborough 30 years ago.

Always lock the cab doors and don't just rely on the standard cab locks, I have a safety chain fitted to the habitation door and a Fiamma strap on brackets attached to the cab doors, also sensors on all doors (including cab), windows and external lockers will trigger the habitation alarm if they open 0.5".

I surveyed all the other campers next morning at 0700hrs, and found several other campers of all nationalities had been broken into , the only common denominator - yes you guessed it ' The Sevel Based' cab chassis, Fords round key, Mercedes and all A class were bypassed.

Opening the Sevel cab doors is easy, you just need a flatish blade screwdriver, the locks still work okay afterwards with the proper key afterwards.

Regards Terry

Hi Colin,

You said -

I'm guessing they didn't know they had been robbed so would have blamed gas if you didn't know better.

Crikey!!! - you must be physic, that’s just what she said.

Regards Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Mel

Good for you. All very valid points and true. Life is far too short for us all to adopt a "fortify and defend attitude". Whatever next! According to Him why buy a motorhome when we can spend that capital on armoured shutters at home and security guards

Chris

John,

i think we all believe you I do . Can you use a scanner not being rude I can't I rely on the kids. On the other hand all it will show is theft from a Motor Vehicle. It still won't answer the curiosity for many as to why no one woke up /and the dog and the other people.

So i do believe that theifs use something its

WHAT iN THE HELL DO THEY USE thats the question . and if we all new this topic wouldn't be here....

*-)

Guest Frank Wilkinson

There was an interesting report in the papers a couple of days ago, which I felt was indicative of the so-called 'gas attacks' syndrome.

We all know about people's drinks being spiked with 'date-rape' drugs etc. so a hospital decided to do a drugs test on every person who claimed the he or she had been the victim of this supposedly growing trend.

Fewer than one in five of those tested had any signs of drugs in his or her blood stream!

The rest were just totally intoxicated but apparently unwilling to accept that they could have got into this condition.

And unlike gassing, which is physically impossible (see Brian Kirby's original report) dropping a tablet in someone's drink is incredibly easy!

Testing for the date rape drug is very hit and miss as apparently it soons leaves the system without a trace. However one sure way to check if ANY poison or other drug has been used is by waiting approx 6 weeks and then taken a hair sample and sending that away for analysis. That will apparently tell you if you have been drugged or anything. Not cheap, but a sure way to get to the truth!!

Stew :->

Taken on Board what the last two have said. But in his case he was with his elderly father who kept insisting they were going the wrong way .

I think in his case he might of known if he had rohypnol in his tea & so would the other 10 vans lorrie's people.

I certainly wouldn't take a drink off a stranger unless it was you Frank ;-)

perhaps i might get date raped I'd be lucky :$

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Despite Brian's initial post from the Royal College of Anaesthetists, we still seem to have three camps:

- those who believe these gas attacks do occur

- those who don't

- the undecided.

SOLUTION

Both our current and previous motorhome are fitted with alarm systems which have a PERIMETER setting for use at night. The internal motion and vehicle motion sensors are turned off, but the glass breakage sensor and all the door and compartment sensors remain live. Any attempted entry, with or without gas would trigger a very loud alarm. We always set it at night.

DOES IT HAPPEN?

NO, it doesn't. Despite 4 pages of this post, no-one has produced a single shred of evidence of a gas attack of the type described in anecdotes so often. People with headaches? If you're woken suddenly in the middle of deep sleep to find you've been robbed, you will very likely finish up with a tension headache. The real evidence is:

- there is no economically viable anaesthetic gas that would produce the effect claimed (source: RCA)

- ether cannot do it - as the RCA say, it's too weak and would leave an after smell noticeable for days

- sprays containing ether cannot do it either - for the same strength reasons and also because they are highly flammable and most motorhomes have gas fridges - a big bang combination

- and even if there was a way of doing it, uncontrolled anaesthesia is incredibly dangerous (as the Russia quote in the RCA letter shows) and there would have been deaths or serious after effects reported and there haven't been.

So fit decent locks and a perimeter alarm and sleep securely. Somewhere nearby someone will be sleeping soundly in an unprotected motorhome, secure in the knowledge that their gas detector makes them safe from something that isn't going to happen.

Mel E

====

Hello Mel,

You have missed one category from your list:-

Those who sell Gas Attack Alarm systems based on unfounded "evidence".

I would think it far more likely that drugs (Alcohol?) could be used but again there is little evidence of this either.

Regards,

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't want to make light of this subject, but this week our boss parked up his arctic in a laybay only to be told in the morning his back doors were open, and yes you've guessed an empty lorry. Over 50 Kitchen appliances offloaded in the night and he was sleeping in the cab. he wasn't gassed, he was just asleep. No chance he was in on the act, his load was uninsured and he hadn't touched any alcahol. It just goes to show how slick these lowlife can be, but it also shows it can be done.

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Geoff Bell - 2007-03-21 12:19 AM I don't want to make light of this subject, but this week our boss parked up his arctic in a laybay only to be told in the morning his back doors were open, and yes you've guessed an empty lorry. Over 50 Kitchen appliances offloaded in the night and he was sleeping in the cab. he wasn't gassed, he was just asleep. No chance he was in on the act, his load was uninsured and he hadn't touched any alcahol. It just goes to show how slick these lowlife can be, but it also shows it can be done.

Regrettably it also shows that your boss isn't the brightest of individuals. To drive an artic full of kitchen appliances and not have insurance beggars belief!

The silly things that people will do to save a few pounds!

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Mike Chapman - 2007-03-12 5:22 PM Hello Mel, You have missed one category from your list:- Those who sell Gas Attack Alarm systems based on unfounded "evidence". I would think it far more likely that drugs (Alcohol?) could be used but again there is little evidence of this either. Regards, Mike.

I know! It irritates the hell out of me when I see the adverts for gas sensors in motorhome magazines that say "Due to the ever increasing number of gas attacks ........."

It's the biggest lie in advertising since "Plus, it's a Chevy." It's not, it's a Daewoo you morons!

Having just moved house and still emptying boxes i accidently moved a box yesterday and put it down on top of another with a can of easy start in it, 2 hours later the wife rang me to say she had nearly been gassed at home never mind in the motorhome !!!!!!!!!!

Apparently it was oozing out for some time and the whole house stank of it, after opening all doors and windows and letting it have a good blow through you could still smell it this morning some 24 hours later.

Did it knock her out ? no chance but she is accusing me of giving it a damn good try. So easy start doesnt work.

RD

Archived