Gas attacks

Brian Kirby

Bill - 2006-11-30 10:55 AM
Brian Kirby - 2006-11-29 3:47 PM
Bill - 2006-11-29 1:18 PM
michele - 2006-11-26 9:05 PM Drunk in Charge is more than being drunk with access to keys
My understanding is that you have to have access to the ignition key - not just the door key - so (assuming they are different) is not the answer to hide the ignition key somewhere away from the 'van?

What, you mean like leave them in the pub? :-)

Straws, Bill, you're clutching at straws!  However, it's all a bit theoretical and, if you're off the highway, and not in a public place, I think you can safely (medical disclaimer alert!) get ratted with little or no risk to your license!

I was thnking of hiding them under a bush 200 yds away but, yes, the landlord of the pub would be an excellent choice - he is after all a man charged by the law with serving alcohol responsibly. This whole business also raises the question of just what are the police powers to move you on, and how do they differ from an unoccupied vehicle? Further, what happens if the person sleeping in the van is not the person who parked it, and does not even hold a driver's licence?
EVICT HIM

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly O/T but it reminds me of the time I was sitting in my humble ford after returning from shopping waiting for my wife to finish her shopping.

There was a knock on the window and when I wound down the window, I was asked very politely by the policeman why I was sitting in his wifes car !!

Yep same colour, uphostery and key for the drivers door. My wife was sitting in our car about 6 cars down the row !!

One of those :$ moments

• 3 weeks later...

Well my family along with maybe 10 others unit were robbed as we slepted simultaneously in Spain on Autopista 7 (yes we stopped in a service area)

Even my Great Dane didn't realise we had intruder/s.

I am not MAD and had all the insults on many forums.

Whether you care to believe it or not it happened.

I have nothing to gain or lose by telling you just that something was done to us to allow this to happen along with our fellow campers.

I dont think any kind of alarm would help as my dogs generally right on the button.

PS:- my family are not drinkers or drug takers either.

Until it happen to you it's easy to be a sceptic.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Yes, but where's the proof that you were gassed - and how did they manage to introduce just the right amount of gas to knock out everything from a dog to a large individual. Have you read the first article in this thread, supplied by the Royal College of Anaesthetists?

Every year many people are robbed in their homes whilst they sleep - why can't people accept that it can also happen in a motorhome, without having to resort to these wild theories?

Dave Newell - 2006-11-28 6:09 AM

I didn't realise just how nasty CO is until yesterday when it was explained on this gas competence course I'm doing. A colourless,odourless, tasteless gas that can kill at a concentration of less than one per cent is pretty nasty stuff!

D.

Only just catching up on this one!

Now you have got me worried, and I will be fitting CO alarm to van, my life was proboly saved about 5 years ago by a CO alarm firing off, I couldn't understand why it had triggered, doors and windows where wide open, eventualy I broke open one of those 'cards', it went instantly black! this was with a multi fuel stove. The thought of any one pumping CO into a van is not nice. Also good for gas problems anyway.

Road Runner - 2006-12-29 4:25 PM Well my family along with maybe 10 others unit were robbed as we slepted simultaneously in Spain on Autopista 7 (yes we stopped in a service area) Even my Great Dane didn't realise we had intruder/s. I am not MAD and had all the insults on many forums. Whether you care to believe it or not it happened. I have nothing to gain or lose by telling you just that something was done to us to allow this to happen along with our fellow campers. I dont think any kind of alarm would help as my dogs generally right on the button. PS:- my family are not drinkers or drug takers either. Until it happen to you it's easy to be a sceptic.

John

Can you be any more specific? 

How long ago did this happen?

You say about 10 units were robbed.  Were they motorhomes, caravans or a mix of both?

Were you all travelling together?

Was there a mix of nationalities?

Were all the units that were there when you went to bed still there in the morning?

Were the police called: did they arrive and take details?

Do you know how you were robbed (i.e actual break in, or just by reaching in through windows etc)?

What sort of items were taken from each unit?

Were caravan windows opened/forced by the thieves?

Were the cab doors unlocked/forced by the thieves?

Were cab windows broken?

Was the caravan door unlocked/forced by the thieves?

Were rooflights opened/forced to gain entry?

I assume no-one had an alarm?

Any answers you can give may help others understand their security vulnerabilities.

John

Can you be any more specific?

We parked up on the Autopista 7 as my father who has Alzheimer was driving me mad saying we were travelling in wrong direction

How long ago did this happen?

June 2005

You say about 10 units were robbed. Were they motorhomes, caravans or a mix of both?

Yes a mix of both and a Spanish lorry driver bind me who I spoke with for a long while as he was very taken with my dog (the stole his fuel cash so was LIVID)

Were you all travelling together? Was there a mix of nationalities?

No and many nationalities

Were all the units that were there when you went to bed still there in the morning?

Yes

Were the police called: did they arrive and take details?

It was the police that woke us in the end around 3am I thought they were nuts till found my land Rover key on the seat in the vehicle (the lorry driver had summoned them)

Do you know how you were robbed (i.e actual break in, or just by reaching in through windows etc)?

Yes I have a picture of my door frame damage where they prized it open

What sort of items were taken from each unit?

Cash only

Were caravan windows opened/forced by the thieves?

2 large roof onnivent

Were the cab doors unlocked/forced by the thieves?

Already answer

Were cab windows broken?

Was the caravan door unlocked/forced by the thieves?

Already answered

Were rooflights opened/forced to gain entry?

Already answered

I assume no-one had an alarm?

The RV did but no one knows whether it sounded or not they removed its windscreen as the door deadlocked

Any answers you can give may help others understand their security vulnerabilities.

The caravan club paid me out over the cash only loss amount as they accepted the circumstance.

If you are in the Bedford area you can view the police report

• 2 weeks later...
Guest starspirit

Road Runner, I believe you and that is why we should all secure our doors and windows (including roof) such that intruders will either (hopefully) be disuaded from trying or will make enough noise to awaken us.

Always making sure that easy escape is possible should we need to.

Fitting a gas alarm (they ain't expensive) is the next option if we are specifically worried by this threat.

As far as drink drive / park on public highways or car parks is concerned the best answer is DON'T.

Surely to heaven we can all go the odd evening without booze?

Hi,

Would you mind posting the pic of the Damage for us all to see ?

I don't know if that is possible .

Would be really interesting to see Perhaps we all say GAS when really we don't know what it is they are using . Reading your thread it is obvious that something took place that did not allow any of the occupants to wake . I have no experience of this but have met a couple and there kid's in the south of France on the campsite we were staying for 2 weeks.

They to claimed that they had been Gassed now maybe they had been GASSED maybe it was something else and for want of a better word people use the word GAS .What ever it is , these people like you had nothing to prove . We offered them money as the lot had been taken .

You could see just by the unit & car they were not short of a few bob .

They did decline and got money telexed to them ..........I don't think for one minute these people where lying about this . They stayed the the total two weeks and turned out to be a lovely family taking our kids Go Karting and paying ......What I am trying to say is I see no reason to lie

What it is these people are using is what causes all the myths IMHO

The people that it is happening to are not IMO telling lie's

We just have to find out what it is they do use ?

Bognormike,

I know I,m thick but help me out here .

Brians original report is about Anethetics ?

Immediately people say I,m getting rid of my Gas alarm ?

So I am lost as to what it is that we are all talking about GAS ?.

Then why are people getting rid of Gas alarms ?

And if it's not anaesthetics as stated by the RCA ...what is it ?

(?)

michele - 2007-01-09 6:23 PM Bognormike, I know I,m thick but help me out here . Brians original report is about Anethetics ? Immediately people say I,m getting rid of my Gas alarm ? So I am lost as to what it is that we are all talking about GAS ?. Then why are people getting rid of Gas alarms ? And if it's not anaesthetics as stated by the RCA ...what is it ? (?)

Confusing, isn't it?  Anything that puts you out is an anaesthetic.  Chloroform, strictly, isn't a gas, although what you breathe in is a vapour.  I am not medically qualified, but I know of no other non-gaseous anaesthetics.

The main problem with gas alarms is that, not knowing what anaesthetic gas is being used, you do not know if the alarm is sensitive to the right gas.  You therefore face the possibility that the gas will be administered and the alarm will not sound. 

However, throwing perfectly good gas alarms away doesn't really make sense.  They are mostly designed against LPG escapes, and this remains a danger whatever anaesthetic may be used.

John

Thanks for the detailed reply, and my apologies for not responding earlier.  That must have been quite an experience!  However, perhaps better because of the others who were affected at the same time.  I would imagine it would have seemed even worse if you had awoken alone to find you had been robbed in that way.

Did you ever get any clues as to how it was done?  I mean was a gas of some sort used and do you know how it was applied.  It's the van with the missing screen that is the real puzzle.  How on earth do you do that without detection?  The occupants must have been knocked out before the screen was removed, which would have introduced a lot of air.  Fresh air seems the best remedy for most anaesthetics, so presumably something eles is in play.

Did you or the others feel OK when aroused?  Did you suffer after affects?

Sorry for the further questions.

Oh, is that police report available by e-mail/internet?

Thanks

It's called A HOLON meaning Home office on line notification

Hope that helps No you can only get a sanitised version of it .

When we report crimes in England & Wales they are given a indiviual unique crime reference number. These reports are nearly all now computerised. The only correspondence the police will give out /or readily give out is a contact letter with useful No acknowledging the crime has been reported showing the unique crime reference Number for future reference. A copy of this leter can often be given to insurance companies.

The Police crime report will be a mirror of the allegation e mail providing it was supplied to the police via e mail. It will be an uncorrobrated allegation all that the police crime report will contain is the police administration & clasification of the type of crime that has been commited which must conform to the home office guidelines being a national standard.

If you were a full timer it could be a burgulary

If it was done by stealth alone it could be theft from motor vehicle.

Where gas/or similar means is used it is treated as a robbery of personal property. Do not confuse robbery with burglary they are two seperate totally things.

Hi michelle!. would you happen to be in law enforcement, or do you do lots of reading!

my in-laws were robbed while asleep in there van in france 3 years ago and were told by the police that they had been gassed, he was even moved off his bed onto the floor , unfortunately under his bed is where he kept his cameras and valuables. He is adament to this day that they would have had to be gassed or unconcious because they didn't wake up!

Its good to read that gassing someone is very unlikely to happen, although i do have a gas attack, just in-case,never say never! perhaps they had too many glasses of wine!oops! i hope they dont read this!!

• 2 weeks later...
Randonneur - 2007-01-24 2:15 PM

I don't how true this is, but I have heard of people being "gassed" using EAZYSTART. Apparently it is quite powerful in the wrong hands.

some one who know what he is talking about said -

Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect of the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application to the face on a rag, and the concentration needed by some sort of spray into a room would be enormous. The smell hangs around for days and would be obvious to anyone the next day.

EAZYSTART has been punted around as the item used but it has been shown as not used - not enough ETHER in it.

Read the full report on page 1 of this post

Dave

Guest starspirit
Easy start is also very explosive and if a fridge were alight on gas a big bang would probably occur as most fridges are not sealed to the outside like they should be.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

People are robbed every day at home whilst they are deep in sleep. But if it happens on holiday, when the chances are that they are even deeper in sleep after a long journey or a glass or two of wine, then course, they must have been gassed!

How anyone can read Brian Kirby's article, which is the only sensible thing that I've every read about this subject, and then still claim that they've been gassed, beggars belief!

Archived