Gas attacks

Brian Kirby

About 5.50 this evening, !7th August, on Radio 4 there was a Motorcaravanner speaking about being robbed on an aire in France. The police investigated and said that he had been almost suffocated. Apparently he was the tenth.

I didn't hear the whole of the report so I am unclear as to why he said gas attack alarms don't work.

Did anyone hear enough of the interview to give a decent report?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We suffered a vicious gas attack last night, and we were not even in the van.

Our ancient mutt has gone a bit senile (know the feeling!) and has been waking us every two hours during the night to be let out. When she gets outside the poor old girl forgets what she is there for, and goes round and round in small circles for hours - almost literally. Quite common in elderly dogs I believe.

To help us get some sleep our Vet put the pooch on Diazepam. It works well as a chemical cosh and we all had a good night's sleep - well mostly. Diazepam is also a muscle relaxant, and it must have relaxed one too many muscles - phew!!

Totally of thread but has your vet checked your dog's liver and kidney function? If not you could find that the reason she is going senile is that her brain is being poisoned by the 'waste' chemicals from her food entering the bloodstream because they aren't being expelled in the proper manner due to problems with her organs. We had a dog that went totally loopy because of this, she was totally happy in her own little world but we had the consequences of her toileting and constant pottering to deal with ... the pottering around drove us nuts and you don't want the details of the rest ... especailly since all she would eat was tinned hotdogs and spaghetti in tomato sauce! Now that really was serious gassing! :$

• 2 weeks later...
Mel B - 2007-08-16 8:55 PM Well, I've just emailed them, lets see what happens ......

I did as you did Mel, and got a reply from the FCO today.  They admit they are merely going on reports from those claiming to have been attacked using gas.  They have no independent corroboration. 

However, they say they have changed the wording on their website to say those attacked "claim" to have been gassed.

So, I've copied them the Royal College of Anaesthetists statement - which is where all this fun started last year!

Hi Brian

Yup, I got the reply as well, they did say that they will alter their website "While our enquiries continue" so hopefully they will at some point come back with an answer one way or another. I've just checked the website though and it still hasn't been amended - I got my reply dated 3 September so I wonder just how long it will take.

• 1 month later...

there's also a statement from the Royal College on their web site

http://www.rcoa.ac.uk/index.asp?PageID=987

much of it is as the original text at the start of the post, but a pretty scathing response to all the scare stories.

Also reported on MHF, ( http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-36232.html ), but it seems that people still want to believe these things happen :-S )

I often get asked for gas alarms by customers and they're always surprised when I tell them I don't sell them and they don't need one because nobody's ever been gassed. It often surprises me that they've heard the stories of people being gassed but never heard any of the arguments against it happening.

D.

Sorry, just when everything that can be said has been said, somebody always comes up with something else.

I don't believe in gas attacks, but I have a gas alarm.

It is quite possible that the un-Godly have heard these stories too and, unlike us, haven't argued all round it to come to the conclusions expressed here. So, one of them thinks that it might be a good idea to get some engine start ether and pump it into a motorcaravan. It might not knock anyone out, but you suddenly have a lot of highly explosive gas sloshing around on the floor.

Of course, if the alarm is faulty and gives off a spark the resulting bang will alert the neighbours.

Now, where is the 'phone number for Pessimists Anonymous?

Dave Newell - 2007-11-22 10:44 AM

I often get asked for gas alarms by customers and they're always surprised when I tell them I don't sell them and they don't need one because nobody's ever been gassed. It often surprises me that they've heard the stories of people being gassed but never heard any of the arguments against it happening.

D.

I just wanted something simple and straight forward [and very very very] cheap to warn me - or more accurately OH - of gas leaks - [with an audible alarm - rather than one that changes colour] - from the cylinders.

We had a problem with one of our Camping Gaz cylinders a while ago.

Every one assumes that we are looking for the all singing all dancing whatever they are that warns you that someone is attempting to break in etc etc etc - and either honestly tell us we are wasting our time - it's a scam - or tries to sell me something for about £50 ++++

B-)

Archived