The Windrush Generation

Bulletguy

Let’s not make it so easy for governments to distance themselves from their policies which result in the front-line decision makers being under pressure to refuse as many applications for an acknowledgment of someone's right to remain in the UK as they can. Seems likely that these people from the Windrush generation were “low hanging fruit” and that helped the executive meet targets for reducing net migration figures. My hero Dominic Grieve is fully aware of this and his comment on the news last night demonstrates this. Cameron’s dismissal of him from the cabinet demonstrates a poison at the centre of our government in that they are prepared to follow the demands of the baying hoards by any means possible whether those means are fair or not.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if the usual dissenters have considered having had the misfortune to have chosen West Indian parents who decided, in response to UK requests, to move to the UK, taking their children with them, back in the '50s - to work in our health service and drive our buses and trains. Having arrived as small children, perfectly legally, on their (usually) mother's passport, and been educated in UK, had their healthcare provided under the NHS, been employed for their working lives, and subsequently retired, they have rightly and justifiably come to regard themselves as British.

What pleasure it must be for them if they decide, in their retirement, that they'd like to visit the West Indies to meet the relatives they know of, but have never met, and to be told, on submitting their passport applications, that they are illegal immigrants, that they are under arrest, to be removed to an immigration centre pending deportation to a country they have never known, and also that their pensions will be stopped. Is this really Britain?

This country is being run by bean counters, who know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. The mask has slipped, to reveal who is behind it. The Nasty Party is back - only they thought we'd never notice! They've got their little book...............................

Violet1956 - 2018-04-17 8:20 PM

Let’s not make it so easy for governments to distance themselves from their policies which result in the front-line decision makers being under pressure to refuse as many applications for an acknowledgment of someone's right to remain in the UK as they can. Seems likely that these people from the Windrush generation were “low hanging fruit” and that helped the executive meet targets for reducing net migration figures. My hero Dominic Grieve is fully aware of this and his comment on the news last night demonstrates this. Cameron’s dismissal of him from the cabinet demonstrates a poison at the centre of our government in that they are prepared to follow the demands of the baying hoards by any means possible whether those means are fair or not.

Talking of Dominic Grieve he's currently on the case with Lammy over a 75 year old lady's son who is due to be deported tomorrow. His mother has cancer.

James O'Brien on LBC radio spoke with both earlier today. It's a distressing interview but i urge you to listen to it.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/windrush-son-to-be-deported-tomorrow-james-obrien/

I watched the Channel 4 news report earlier with various Commonwealth ministers meeting May at Downing street where she made her fake grovelling 'apology'. That woman is unfit to be PM, unfit for any office in my opinion. I've no time for her any longer.

It's now emerged that thousands of records held by the Home Office which would have proved the status of many Windrush Generation were destroyed despite staff warnings that the move would make it harder to check the records of older Caribbean-born residents experiencing residency difficulties.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/17/home-office-destroyed-windrush-landing-cards-says-ex-staffer

May has engineered ethnic cleansing on a massive scale......something i believed i would never see in my own country. How wrong i was. The woman is pure evil and beneath contempt. I'm not letting go of this. I'll see what sort of reply i get back from my MP and then consider whether i go to my next move, which i will probably will do, especially if he attempts to placate me with weasel words.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-04-17 9:08 PM

What pleasure it must be for them if they decide, in their retirement, that they'd like to visit the West Indies to meet the relatives they know of, but have never met, and to be told, on submitting their passport applications, that they are illegal immigrants, that they are under arrest, to be removed to an immigration centre pending deportation to a country they have never known, and also that their pensions will be stopped. Is this really Britain?

Cheer up Brian ;-) ..........

Mrs May has recognised the problem and is sorting it :D ..........

Now your conundrum is......... how to blame it on Brexit >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2018-04-17 9:21 PM

Mrs May has recognised the problem and is sorting it :D

No she hasn't and no she isn't.

That's already been pointed out to you upthread yesterday. The hypocrisy of claiming the EU was holding the UK back from fostering stronger trading links with Commonwealth countries, when all the time government were not even interested and been conniving over how to kick 'em out now most are pensioners.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12193101/Brexit-will-allow-Britain-to-embrace-the-Commonwealth.html

Thats easy! Its open season on anyone looking a bit foreign looking now thanks to Brexit so people are probably expecting them to bugger off. Barnsley man thought he was voting to get shot of Muslims after all.

Civil service and governments eye is off the ball as its wrapped up in Brexit and wondering what to do about the millions of applications for EU Citizens that have to be processed so yeah you can probably find a link to Brexit.

Brexit will probably cause WW3 an all!

Blame it ON Brexit, Dave? Hardly, but I can see a link. It's that same foreigner distrusting mindset at work behind both. That same bean counting mentality. That same, mean minded, "Little Englander", "any peg to hang a hat on" outlook that seems to me to afflict both. Sad, ain't it, what that outlook can do to a once great country?

pelmetman - 2018-04-18 9:04 AM

Bulletguy - 2018-04-17 9:50 PM

Oh yes she is :D ...........

Might have been better if she'd listened to the warnings given two years back, when she was Home Secretary, or even back in 2014 when the new Immigration Act was introduced by her as Home Secretary. She may have been HS, and is now PM, but she seems merely to have the mind of an administrator, faithfully doing what her party demands without thought for it's consequences. Her face when she was apologising to a room full of black faces said it all! It's her own cock-up from the ground up. Where the hell are our own statesmen and women?

The Caribbean leaders I've seen interviewed seem to me far more balanced and measured in their statements, and far more capable of quietly saying what needs to be said, than any UK government spokesperson - minister or otherwise. Time for a reversal of roles, I think, at least until we can get the junior school kids out of government, and let a few adults in!

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-04-18 9:49 AM

Sad, ain't it, what that outlook can do to a once great country?

Not as sad as our countries become with a open door to any foreign murdering raping scumbag, that's looking for a UK taxpayer funded meal ticket :-| .........

You may think that make's us a great country...........I and many millions of Brits obviously disagree ;-) ..........

No doubt you think London becoming the EU murder capital is great to? *-) ..........

But hey it's so easy to blame the politicians than those poor hard done by criminals ain't it >:-) .........

Just so long as you can polish your halo's and not have to suffer the consequences eh Brian?.........

Blame it ON Brexit, Dave? Hardly, but I can see a link. It's that same foreigner distrusting mindset at work behind both. That same bean counting mentality. That same, mean minded, "Little Englander", "any peg to hang a hat on" outlook that seems to me to afflict both. Sad, ain't it, what that outlook can do to a once great country?

"Foreigner distrust" ... You've misread the Brexit situation again Brian ... Not wanting your neighbourhood to change beyond recognition isn't foreigner distrust neither is not wanting further pressures on our NHS , police , doctors , schools , prisons and the rest ... It's just common sense isn't it ... I bet you dont have too many problems in leafy East Sussex with any immigration issues Brian , maybe your like the rest of the high and mighty squad on here who preach to us that do

I just watched an extract of Corbyn ranting off against Mrs May in PMQs about the Windrush cock up.

His voice, as ever, gets higher and higher as he prattles on until it reaches a pitch where I quite expect him to quote the Daleks and utter 'exterminate exterminate' before imploding and collapsing in a heap.

Is this the sort of level headed person we really want as prime minister?

I sincerely hope not.

Brian Kirby - 2018-04-18 10:03 AM

pelmetman - 2018-04-18 9:04 AM

Bulletguy - 2018-04-17 9:50 PM

Oh yes she is :D ...........

Might have been better if she'd listened to the warnings given two years back, when she was Home Secretary, or even back in 2014 when the new Immigration Act was introduced by her as Home Secretary. She may have been HS, and is now PM, but she seems merely to have the mind of an administrator, faithfully doing what her party demands without thought for it's consequences. Her face when she was apologising to a room full of black faces said it all! It's her own cock-up from the ground up. Where the hell are our own statesmen and women?

The Caribbean leaders I've seen interviewed seem to me far more balanced and measured in their statements, and far more capable of quietly saying what needs to be said, than any UK government spokesperson - minister or otherwise. Time for a reversal of roles, I think, at least until we can get the junior school kids out of government, and let a few adults in!

Listening is something May doesn't do. After all it took her over a day after Rudd had apologised in the HoC to wake up to the fury of the country and her weak faux 'apology' to Commonwealth leaders was sickeningly insincere. Remember only the day before she had refused to meet them and refused to apologise.

As for her wicked 2014 Immigration Act, what she intentionally created for the sole purpose of her "hostile environment", having read through it i cannot see any part which overrules the 1948 British Nationality Act which states quite clearly regards citizens from Commonwealth countries resident in UK, "a citizen of that country shall by virtue of that citizenship have the status of a British subject." And that still remains enshrined in British law as far as i'm aware so the arrests, detention pending removal, threats of removal, denying access to healthcare etc have (as far as i can see), been illegal. May must now be held to account over this and there needs some explanations as to why thousand of files held by the HO which could have proved their status, got destroyed and who ordered that.

I agree, the Caribbean leaders behaved with impeccable diplomacy befitting of their high office. May could learn a heck of a lot from them but for me that's too late....she's blown it with this and lost all credibility as a PM. She's an absolute disgrace, brought shame on the country, and is unfit to hold office.

Bulletguy - 2018-04-18 3:16 PM

antony1969 - 2018-04-18 3:10 PM

Didn't Labour start this whole process ???

No.....May has been caught out lying to the HoC during PMQ.

I haven't heard any Labour politicians deny it ... 2009 Labour were in government weren't they ???

antony1969 - 2018-04-18 12:33 PM

"Foreigner distrust" ... You've misread the Brexit situation again Brian ... Not wanting your neighbourhood to change beyond recognition isn't foreigner distrust neither is not wanting further pressures on our NHS , police , doctors , schools , prisons and the rest ... It's just common sense isn't it ... I bet you dont have too many problems in leafy East Sussex with any immigration issues Brian , maybe your like the rest of the high and mighty squad on here who preach to us that do

Neighbourhoods changed beyond recognition by EU citizens of Europe or those from outside Europe? All the Europeans I know and come across that have made their home here are much like us. Similar culture, similar religion and beliefs Etc. They integrate well. On the other hand as you have pointed out many times some of our immigrants from say the Middle East and beyond not so much (you say). If this is something some Brexit voters want less of won't restricting our near EU neighbours only increase more open doors for those from outside Europe to come here? Even Vote Leave told many Asian communities that would be the case if they voted out. Were they lying?

antony1969 - 2018-04-18 3:23 PM

I haven't heard any Labour politicians deny it ... 2009 Labour were in government weren't they ???

It was decided in 2010 to destroy the disembarkation cards, which dated back to the 1950s and 60s, when the Home Office’s Whitgift Centre in Croydon was closed and the staff were moved to another site. Employees in his department told their managers it was a bad idea, because these papers were often the last remaining record of a person’s arrival date, in the event of uncertainty or lost documents. The files were destroyed in October that year, when Theresa May was home secretary.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/17/home-office-destroyed-windrush-landing-cards-says-ex-staffer

And further;

However imo it's a poor attempt to deflect away from the really serious matter at hand which has been May's creation of the 2014 Immigration Act to enable her "hostile environment", ignoring the 1948 British Nationality Act, and engaging in detentions and forced removals of Commonwealth citizens....who have the same status in law as British citizens.

Bulletguy - 2018-04-18 3:40 PM

It was decided in 2010 to destroy the disembarkation cards, which dated back to the 1950s and 60s, when the Home Office’s Whitgift Centre in Croydon was closed and the staff were moved to another site. Employees in his department told their managers it was a bad idea, because these papers were often the last remaining record of a person’s arrival date, in the event of uncertainty or lost documents. The files were destroyed in October that year, when Theresa May was home secretary.

Thats fine but in 2009 under Labours watch is when the whole thing started or am I wrong ???

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2018-04-18 5:45 PM

Thats fine but in 2009 under Labours watch is when the whole thing started or am I wrong ???

It's starting to sound like another nasty surprise the previous Labour government left behind to make the Tories look bad *-) ........

Yes you are wrong. Started and actually implemented, the latter of which was implied by May are totally different.

UKBA made a decision in 2009 but was shelved. The home office gave the order to carry it out in late 2010.

Proof that could have spared members of the Windrush generation from the threat of deportation was destroyed by the Home Office under Theresa May, it has been revealed.

"The files were discarded in October 2010, when the current prime minister was home secretary, a former Home Office employee revealed.

But the former employee, speaking to The Guardian, said the landing card records, dating back to the 1950s, had been stored in the basement of a government tower block.

In October 2010, the Home Office decided to destroy the cards, when its base in Croydon was closed and the staff were moved to another, smaller site, he said.

From around 2013 onwards, after Ms May’s “hostile environment” crackdown, the number of requests from people wanting to know their arrival date from the Caribbean began to increase, the ex-staff member said.

“People were writing to say: ‘I’ve been here 45 years, I’ve never had a passport, I’ve never needed a passport. Now I’m being told I’m not British, because there is no record of me’.

“Because it was no longer possible to search in the archive of landing cards, people would be sent a standard letter that would state: ‘We have searched our records, we can find no trace of you in our files.’”

May has deflected from the serious issues of wrongful detention, loss of incomes and jobs, deprived of NHS healthcare, and told they were going to be deported.

You don't seem to have grasped yet these people were here in this country legally and had been for years, all having paid their taxes etc. Many are now pensioners. There is an extremely tiny minority of people who still cling to the warped belief these British citizens should be kicked out.

I'm undecided as to whether you are among those that still believe that? :-S

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/windrush-home-office-evidence-deport-theresa-may-david-lammy-a8308936.html

The Prime Minister’s spokesman said disposing of documents had been the right decision to take.

Asked if May had been aware of the disposal while she was home secretary, the PM’s spokesman said: “My belief, at this moment, is that it was an operational decision that was taken by the Border Agency.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/windrush-crisis-home-office-admits-destroying-thousands-of-migrant-landing-cards-amid-deportation-fears/ar-AAvZcF2?srcref=rss

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/18/whistleblowers-contradict-no-10-over-destroyed-windrush-landing-cards

Bulletguy - 2018-04-18 6:17 PM

Yes you are wrong. Started and actually implemented, the latter of which was implied by May are totally different.

UKBA made a decision in 2009 but was shelved. The home office gave the order to carry it out in late 2010.

Proof that could have spared members of the Windrush generation from the threat of deportation was destroyed by the Home Office under Theresa May, it has been revealed.

"The files were discarded in October 2010, when the current prime minister was home secretary, a former Home Office employee revealed.

But the former employee, speaking to The Guardian, said the landing card records, dating back to the 1950s, had been stored in the basement of a government tower block.

In October 2010, the Home Office decided to destroy the cards, when its base in Croydon was closed and the staff were moved to another, smaller site, he said.

From around 2013 onwards, after Ms May’s “hostile environment” crackdown, the number of requests from people wanting to know their arrival date from the Caribbean began to increase, the ex-staff member said.

“People were writing to say: ‘I’ve been here 45 years, I’ve never had a passport, I’ve never needed a passport. Now I’m being told I’m not British, because there is no record of me’.

“Because it was no longer possible to search in the archive of landing cards, people would be sent a standard letter that would state: ‘We have searched our records, we can find no trace of you in our files.’”

May has deflected from the serious issues of wrongful detention, loss of incomes and jobs, deprived of NHS healthcare, and told they were going to be deported.

You don't seem to have grasped yet these people were here in this country legally and had been for years, all having paid their taxes etc. Many are now pensioners. There is an extremely tiny minority of people who still cling to the warped belief these British citizens should be kicked out.

I'm undecided as to whether you are among those that still believe that? :-S

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/windrush-home-office-evidence-deport-theresa-may-david-lammy-a8308936.html

Ive never said these people were here legally or not did I ... If they are here legally then no problem but you seem to have a problem with accepting the whole process started under your Gods ...Awkward

Archived