The Windrush Generation

Bulletguy

It's now come to light under May's evil 'hostile environment', a guide booklet titled "Coming Home to Jamaica" issued to deportees from UK advises, "Try to be ‘Jamaican’ – use local accents and dialect (overseas accents can attract unwanted attention)"

It was first published in 2013 and updated 2015 by the National Organisation of Deported Migrants (NODM) when May was Home Secretary.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/479438/Coming_Home_Booklet.pdf

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-04-21 5:43 PM

It's now come to light under May's evil 'hostile environment', a guide booklet titled "Coming Home to Jamaica" issued to deportees from UK advises,

It was first published in 2013 and updated 2015 by the National Organisation of Deported Migrants (NODM) when May was Home Secretary.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/479438/Coming_Home_Booklet.pdf

"Try to be ‘Jamaican’ – use local accents and dialect (overseas accents can attract unwanted attention)"........Good advice to my mind ;-) ........

Well I dont imagine the locals gangsta's would appreciate incomers being all East End London gangsta would they geezer? >:-) .......

It's not like Jamaica doesn't have a long and inglorious history of gang crime is it Bullet? :-| .........

A Tory who saw the light.

I used to be a Tory....The Windrush scandal makes me glad I left

Former Tory speechwriter Derek Laud.

"As home secretary she insisted that international students should be counted in the official immigration figures, and made it more and more difficult for them to obtain visas to come and study for the first-class education for which Britain is world-renowned. The elite universities protested, but May doesn’t do listening.

As if that were not daft enough, May introduced the “Go Home” vans, targeted at illegal migrants. I was not alone in strongly criticising this initiative at the time, and the policy was later dropped.

May was allowed by Cameron to create what she herself called “a hostile environment” for illegal migrants. But even I could feel her hostility.

I am the son of Jamaican parents, who are part of that Windrush generation. They came to the UK in the late 1950s, and were soon, through their own hard work, members of the property-owning democracy. I vividly recall a conversation with my mother about her reasons for leaving Jamaica. She explained that they responded to a request from Britain, which needed citizens of the empire to assist in the urgent task of rebuilding a country destroyed by conflict.

I could not be more proud of my mother’s explanation, even if she, many years later, was less impressed by some of my own. The first such difficulty came when I had to explain why I had joined the Young Conservatives. The advice my mother proffered then, ringing louder in my ears today, nearly four decades later, was: “For goodness sake, don’t support them – they will never support us.”

I became a Conservative, but that was before the Tories became such a small party. A small-minded party. A small-vision party, which is well represented by Theresa May.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/21/tory-windrush-scandal-theresa-may-derek-laud

pelmetman - 2018-04-21 5:55 PM

It's now come to light under May's evil 'hostile environment', a guide booklet titled "Coming Home to Jamaica" issued to deportees from UK advises,

"Try to be ‘Jamaican’ – use local accents and dialect (overseas accents can attract unwanted attention)"........Good advice to my mind ;-) ........

Well I dont imagine the locals gangsta's would appreciate incomers being all East End London gangsta would they geezer? >:-) .......

It's not like Jamaica doesn't have a long and inglorious history of gang crime is it Bullet? :-| .........

Either you genuinely haven't grasped what's been going on here or just being plainly disingenuous.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-04-21 6:01 PM

Either you genuinely haven't grasped what's been going on here or just being plainly disingenuous.

I don't doubt there have been some unfortunate individuals :-| .........

But that's a perfect example of why our system for sorting the wheat from the chaff is crap *-) ..........

Because I bet the number of Jamaican criminals who evaded deportation outweighs the number of innocents who have ;-) ........

Maybe its because they know a good lawyer? :D ........

Just sayin >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2018-04-21 6:10 PM

But that's a perfect example of why our system for sorting the wheat from the chaff is crap *-) ..........

I have always found it very difficult to understand why the U.K. - being on an island - have always found it so hard to keep a record of who comes in and who goes out.

You can't really compare it to rocket science.

:-(

Because I bet the number of Jamaican criminals who evaded deportation outweighs the number of innocents who have ;-) ........

Yeah.......you haven't grasped what's been going on at all. *-)

* sacked from a job we had been doing for years

* locked up in a detention centre pending deportation

* evicted from our home

* denied medical treatment

* denied access to benefits

* refused permission to re-enter the country

* refused a passport

Now.........apply all the above to yourself and tell me if you would accept that happening to you after working and paying taxes here 40+ years.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2018-04-21 6:21 PM

I have always found it very difficult to understand why the U.K. - being on an island - have always found it so hard to keep a record of who comes in and who goes out.

Rocket science is based on science ;-) ..........

Our immigration rules are currently set by the EU despite what the Remoaners would have us believe *-) ..........

Unfortunately we appear to have allowed the idiots to take over the asylum >:-( .......

If we wish to take back control then Brexit is just the first step on a very long road B-) .........

The Coalition of Chaos had an early morning eureka moment and 'discovered' 1,500 boxes of landing card slips stuffed away in the National Archives. *-)

So after months of media outlets asking the Government why British citizens were losing their jobs, being denied medical treatment, made homeless, not being able to attend the funerals and weddings of loved ones, being deported to a country which they have no connection to, enduring misery, chronic stress and depression, dying.......after urgent questions being raised in Parliament, after the intervention of Commonwealth leaders, after PMQs and after a huge public outcry the Government now think everything is hunky dory. *-)

Completely ignoring and overlooking the fact this would have been avoidable in the first place had they treated people of the Windrush generation and their children who have integrated and contributed to this country as human beings with equal rights to people born here.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/windrush-generation-migrants-landing-cards-hostile-home-office-records-archives-a8315516.html

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-04-21 6:30 PM

* evicted from our home

* refused a passport

Now.........apply all the above to yourself and tell me if you would accept that happening to you after working and paying taxes here 40+ years.

Here's a couple examples of why our system is so crass *-) ..........

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/723340/Jamaican-killer-Eric-Johnson-deported-Britain-human-rights-parents-wedlock-marriage

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2606128/Illegal-immigrant-murdered-British-teenager-deport-GAY-kept-quiet-packed-off.html

I could goggle crime gangs next if you wish.......But this kinda puts the Windrush episode into some kinda perspective doesn't it ? >:-) ...........

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/9-425-deportees-US--UK--Canada-send-back-bulk-of-Jamaicans-over-four-years_73376

The data demonstrate that the deportations have mainly been as a result of overstaying or illegal entry/re-entry into these countries. This offence accounted for 902 deportations in 2015; 899 in 2014; 791 in 2013; and 894 in 2012. The other reasons are drug-related offences; assault and wounding; theft; murder; firearm offences; sexual offences, and other crimes.

Yesterday National Security Minister Robert Montague sought to downplay the deportation of the Jamaicans who arrived here on Wednesday, pointing out that it was nothing out of the ordinary.

No mention of Windrush?.....Neither do they seem to be prepared apportion the numbers to criminality?......

Just sayin :-| ...........

pelmetman - 2018-04-21 6:34 PM

Our immigration rules are currently set by the EU

No they aren't. They are set by UK Gov, implemented by HO and Immigration. There are certain clauses within our own laws enabling workers/students from EU countries to come to work/study here and Brexs**t or not, that won't change.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-04-21 6:51 PM

The Coalition of Chaos had an early morning eureka moment and 'discovered' 1,500 boxes of landing card slips stuffed away in the National Archives. *-)

So no apology to Mrs May for your earlier accusations? 8-) ..........

How very Labour/Communist (lol) (lol) (lol) ........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-04-21 7:00 PM

No they aren't. They are set by UK Gov, implemented by HO and Immigration. There are certain clauses within our own laws enabling workers/students from EU countries to come to work/study here and Brexs**t or not, that won't change.

Really so why are Junker and Co so concerned about us keeping an open border? *-) ........

Just askin >:-) .......

pelmetman - 2018-04-21 6:55 PM

* evicted from our home

* refused a passport

Here's a couple examples of why our system is so crass

I'll try again as i said previously it's obvious you haven't grasped what's been going on at all. *-)

* evicted from our home

* refused a passport

Would you accept it? A simple yes or no will do. Try it.

pelmetman - 2018-04-21 7:04 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-04-21 7:00 PM

Really so why are Junker and Co so concerned about us keeping an open border? *-) ........

You will find Irish are more concerned over that being retained....not to mention the Good Friday Agreement we made.

Our immigration rules are currently set by the EU despite what the Remoaners would have us believe *-) ..........

Unfortunately we appear to have allowed the idiots to take over the asylum >:-( .......

If we wish to take back control then Brexit is just the first step on a very long road B-) .........

I realise that you are obsessed with the EU at the moment - but they have nothing to do with the arrival of the Windrush immigrants.

Seems to me that, for some unknown reason, the people they have employed to manage immigration since WW2 have just not been up to the job.

:-|

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2018-04-21 7:55 PM

I realise that you are obsessed with the EU at the moment - but they have nothing to do with the arrival of the Windrush immigrants.

Seems to me that, for some unknown reason, the people they have employed to manage immigration since WW2 have just not been up to the job.

True....... but it does kinda explains why our current system is incapable of controlling EU migration ;-) .......

Same box ticking rules......Same box ticking incompetents *-) ........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-04-21 7:07 PM

* evicted from our home

* refused a passport

I'll try again as i said previously it's obvious you haven't grasped what's been going on at all. *-)

* evicted from our home

* refused a passport

Where would they deport me to? ;-) ..........

London? >:-) ........

I wonder if anyone still speaks English? :-S .........

pelmetman - 2018-04-21 8:08 PM

malc d - 2018-04-21 7:55 PM

True....... but it does kinda explains why our current system is incapable of controlling EU migration ;-) .......

Same box ticking rules......Same box ticking incompetents *-) ........

When your Government cannot even document 50,000 British status citizens properly and illegally kicks 'em out, then how the hell do you think they can process 3 million EU workers legally employed in UK? The incompetence is from the top down beginning with May.

pelmetman - 2018-04-21 8:12 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-04-21 7:07 PM

* evicted from our home

* refused a passport

* evicted from our home

* refused a passport

Where would they deport me to? ;-) ..........

London? >:-) ........

I wonder if anyone still speaks English? :-S .........

So that's your obscure way of saying 'no i really could never accept that happening' (to you).

Utter tosh Dave our immigration rules are not set by the EU. The rules relating to the migration of EU citizens is the subject of EU Directives (of which we have a say in by the way).

pelmetman - 2018-04-21 4:26 PM

Violet1956 - 2018-04-21 4:13 PM

The original thread has been subject to a major diversion but for my part the case reported in the DM in Dave's link raises a number of issues. First and foremost, the people that drafted the EU directives aren’t daft they know that freedom of movement could be exploited by criminals like these people traffickers that’s why they made provision for countries to deport EU citizens who do that. It’s now over to the Home Secretary, or more particularly the staff in the Home Office, to get her/their act together and start the process.

There’s a lesson here for all of us - don’t use those cheap car washes as there are many who use slaves and that is quite obvious from the wretched conditions of work, their clothing and the deathly pallor they have. It’s always been a mystery to me that they are not raided every week. :-(

Waking up to the real world at last Veronica? 8-) ..........

Well not quite :-| ........What's the point in plugging just another a hole in the sinking EU ship :D .......

We only have to look at the migrant crisis to see how inept they are >:-) ..........

But it's not the EU's fault that we allow this sort of slavery Dave. The rules is the rules and if we derive an economic benefit from membership, which I know is a bone of contention, then we have to take the rough with the smooth and do more to enforce them.

What annoys me the most is slowly and surely if and when we leave the EU, all the ills and blame that was set at the feet of Europe for all that is not right in the UK including the biggie immigration will slowly be revealed as complete tosh. The Government will have nowhere to hide then, not that it will matter as they wont be in power long enough. The sad fact is if we leave, we will have left for nothing.

This government will never keep tabs on immigration within or from outside the EU. It cant do it now and its got no chance once the chaos of Brexit is underway. What a shambles.

pelmetman - 2018-04-21 2:04 PM

Barryd999 - 2018-04-21 1:30 PM

I was surprised that the Mail included this line. "While other countries such as France and Germany imposed curbs on workers from the new EU member states, the UK instead drew up a ‘light touch’ package of immigration controls." Ah ha! So once again. Not the EU then but our own Government. I bet that Mail reporter was sacked for that.

Kinda proves we were right to vote for Brexit ;-) ........ie........

Don't give our our own brain dead civil servants the knife to stab ourselves in the back >:-) ........

Now this I really don't get! I thought your complaint was that the EU had imposed open borders on us, for which "crime" you wanted to leave the EU. Now you seem to have come to understand that is not the case, you turn against the UK civil service - who take their instructions from the UK government.

Post Brexit "our own brain dead civil servants", guided by our own UK government alone, will be all we have devising our immigration laws. There will be no EU inputs at all. As a Brexiter, that was your choice. So, if you think it's bad now, just wait until after we've left! :-D

Confused of Sussex.

pelmetman - 2018-04-21 3:40 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-04-21 3:21 PM

Gretel Gocan, 81, told 5 News she had been stuck in Jamaica since 2010 unable to return to her south London home after taking a holiday to visit family. She has never seen or held her grandchildren after she was barred from returning to her home in the UK ten years ago.

Former NHS nurse Icilda Williams, who moved back to Jamaica in 1996 after 34 years in Bradford, said her annual visits to the UK to see her children had been halted since 2014 after she was denied a visa.

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/national/16174522.Windrush_era_migrants____denied_re_entry_to_Britain_after_Caribbean_visits___/

I dont suppose it's polite to ask what some of the Windrush Generations offspring maybe currently up to in London? :-S .......

Well I mean that might be like trying to avoid asking the obvious questions about the benefits of migration after a few generations?......

Seeing as we live in a multi cultural utopia :-| .........

Just askin >:-) ........

Ah, "the once a migrant, always a migrant" argument. Popular with supporters of phrenology. If the parents were blameless, see if you can find fault with the children. But why stop there, since you're hunting down the bad, immigrant, genes? ? Go right back down the generations.

Now, I just wonder how far Dave Pelmet can trace his family before he finds he's the descended from a migrant? If you were born in the UK, it's got to be there somewhere, hasn't it? :-D

This just gets worse.

How many other British people have to buy a biometric Residence permit every five years? This is exactly what the Stasi did with citizens in post war DDR. Get found without documents and you'd be arrested and carted off to prison like this one in Berlin http://www.stiftung-hsh.de/

They will no longer be valid when (and if!) UK exits the EU and a "new scheme" will be introduced for those people. What will that be.....numbers tattooed on their arm? :-(

It's indicative of the institutional racism Tories excel at and despite the catastrophic disaster of Windrush.....still they blindly blunder on.

Tories in new race row over identity checks for elections

New rules ‘will deter migrant voters’, watchdog claims, adding to Windrush scandal

Government plans that will force people to prove their identities at polling stations in May’s local elections risk disenfranchising members of ethnic minority communities, according to a leaked letter to ministers from the equality and human rights watchdog.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/21/identity-checks-election-disenfranchise-ethnic-minorities

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/20/ministers-scroungers-lose-forms-pm-windrush

Archived