Day 253 and the boots changing to the other foot..........

Guest pelmetman

pelmetman - 2018-07-21 12:44 PM

malc d - 2018-07-21 12:38 PM

pelmetman - 2018-07-21 12:30 PM

malc d - 2018-07-21 12:25 PM

pelmetman - 2018-07-21 12:16 PM

Given that we have been a net contributor to the EU for 40 years I'd say it's the EU that owes us >:-) ..........

When I've toured in the U.K. over the years I've always been impressed by the number of projects, from Lands End to John O'Groats ( plus the Outer Hebrides ) - that have been sponsored or supported by the E.U.

I am aware that in most cases they are giving us some of our own money back, but I've no doubt that support for such projects will end once we have left the E.U.

:-(

Not most cases ALL cases ;-) ............Because we are NET contributors >:-) ..........

I take it you are not concerned about the continued funding of any future ( or existing ) projects around the U.K. then ?

:-|

We can continue to fund our own projects ;-) .................We always have done >:-) ...........

No we haven't.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/21/uks-status-as-science-superpower-at-risk-after-brexit-warn-mps

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23731720-800-brexit-batters-science-job-market/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/01/mapped-where-in-the-uk-receives-most-eu-funding-and-how-does-thi/

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7847

https://royalsociety.org/topics-policy/projects/uk-research-and-european-union/role-of-EU-in-funding-UK-research/how-much-funding-does-uk-get-in-comparison-with-other-countries/

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-07-21 1:10 PM

Given that we have been a net contributor to the EU for 40 years I'd say it's the EU that owes us >:-) ..........

When I've toured in the U.K. over the years I've always been impressed by the number of projects, from Lands End to John O'Groats ( plus the Outer Hebrides ) - that have been sponsored or supported by the E.U.

I am aware that in most cases they are giving us some of our own money back, but I've no doubt that support for such projects will end once we have left the E.U.

Not most cases ALL cases ;-) ............Because we are NET contributors >:-) ..........

I take it you are not concerned about the continued funding of any future ( or existing ) projects around the U.K. then ?

We can continue to fund our own projects ;-) .................We always have done >:-) ...........

No we haven't.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/21/uks-status-as-science-superpower-at-risk-after-brexit-warn-mps

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23731720-800-brexit-batters-science-job-market/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/01/mapped-where-in-the-uk-receives-most-eu-funding-and-how-does-thi/

https://royalsociety.org/topics-policy/projects/uk-research-and-european-union/role-of-EU-in-funding-UK-research/how-much-funding-does-uk-get-in-comparison-with-other-countries/

Which bit of being a NET contributor don't you understand? *-) ...........

All your links suggest is that the sciences get the biggest share of OUR money back ;-) .........

pelmetman - 2018-07-21 3:09 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-07-21 1:10 PM

No we haven't.

Which bit of being a NET contributor don't you understand? *-) ...........

Which bit of net BENEFICIARIES don't you understand?

All your links suggest is that the sciences get the biggest share of OUR money back ;-) .........

Rubbish. I can see why you fell for the £350m lie on that big red bus! *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-07-21 3:38 PM

Rubbish. I can see why you fell for the £350m lie on that big red bus! *-)

Really? ;-) ...........

"The UK is one of the largest recipients of research funding in the EU. Over the period 2007 – 2013 the UK received €8.8 billion out of a total of €107 billion expenditure on research, development and innovation in EU Member States, associated and third countries. This represents the fourth largest share in the EU."

So over a period of "6" years the EU gave the UK 8.8 billion for research...........

Our contribution to the EU is 19 billion a "YEAR" >:-) .............

So the bus was actually correct as that £350 million a week includes the money the EU gives us back for research (lol) (lol) (lol) .............

pelmetman - 2018-07-21 8:08 AM...………………….

As I understand it Mrs May say's "we" will not put in border controls ;-) ...........

So if we don't then who will...........The Irish?..........The EU? >:-) .....................

Can you show me a land border anywhere outside the EU where there are no border controls? Just askin! :-D

antony1969 - 2018-07-21 7:26 AM

Barryd999 - 2018-07-20 9:31 PM

There is no way to solve the Irish border problem without single market and cu membership or in other words staying in the EU. no deal just can't be allowed to happen and there would be no majority to allow it in parliament but at the same time there is total impasse and they are never going to agree. I can see a real possibility that despite what they have said they will have to go back to the people as the Brexit they signed up for which remember included a super deal with all the benefits we have now is basically undeliverable.

I dunno what the options would be. Remain or leave with no deal I guess. It's just possible that could backfire though although I doubt it once people realise they were conned in the first place but the media of course will try and fool them again with cries of project fear, traitors, betrayal Etc but I don't think the public are completely stupid.

Lordy ... "go back to the people ... undeliverable ... conned ... completely stupid" ... Thats without "the media of course will try and fool them again" ... What a patronising post

When even a BBC presenter gets it you know your in trouble ...

Its not patronising at all its just the truth. Most people dont have a clue about Brexit and there is no point in pretending they do. That probably goes for Remainers as well as Brexiteers. What I do know though is I am sure people voted for what was being promised at the time which included statements like "nobody is threatening our single market membership", "We can be like Norway", "Easiest deal n History", "We will be better off out of the EU", I could go on but the point is nobody voted to be poorer I am sure and many voted assuming we would be getting a trade deal with all or most of the benefits we have now. That was the sell which is why if there is a no deal situation it should be the public that decides if its what they really want.

Yes we had a referendum but a leave vote was not a vote for a crash and burn brexit for sure. Truth is we dont know what people voted for exactly but I bet it wasnt this so once there are only two options on the table if there is no deal (remain or crash) the only choice is to let the public decide.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-07-22 11:44 AM

As I understand it Mrs May say's "we" will not put in border controls ;-) ...........

So if we don't then who will...........The Irish?..........The EU? >:-) .....................

Can you show me a land border anywhere outside the EU where there are no border controls? Just askin! :-D

So that'll be the Irish/EU installing it then >:-) ..........Not us ;-) ........

pelmetman - 2018-07-22 11:50 AM

So that'll be the Irish/EU installing it then >:-) ..........Not us ;-) ........

And you really think that would make a difference?

Bulletguy - 2018-07-21 1:05 PM.................He believes UK Gov have a magic money tree in Downing St that any PM can just shake anytime and billions of £'s simply fall off like confetti. *-)

No. That tree belongs to Jeremy. The Conservatives only have a bonsai tree they keep snipping bits off. :-)

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-07-22 11:55 AM

Only to where the IRA plant their bombs if your scaremongering is to be believed >:-) ..........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-07-22 12:02 PM

pelmetman - 2018-07-21 12:44 PM...…………….We can continue to fund our own projects ;-) .................We all ways have done >:-) ...........

Really? Which projects are those, Dave?

The ones in the UK that we currently fund now with our "OWN" money ;-) ...........

If "WE" decide they're worthwhile......... not some EU numpty >:-) .......

pelmetman - 2018-07-21 12:13 PM

Brian Kirby - 2018-07-21 7:48 AM

antony1969 - 2018-07-21 7:23 AM......……………….. Talking up the threat from the return of Irish terrorism doesnt mean its likely or will happen

Not talking it up, Antony, just recognising it. Failing to sort out the border raises the risk. OTOH, talking it down definitely doesn't mean it won't happen. It's just an inconvenient truth, isn't it?

Which bit of Mrs May saying "we will not establish a hard border" are you struggling to comprehend Brian? *-) ...........If the Irish install a hard border then that's they're problem >:-) ........

Oh, I understand what she says Dave. I'm going to make water flow uphill. You believe that, don't you?

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-07-22 12:06 PM

antony1969 - 2018-07-21 7:23 AM......……………….. Talking up the threat from the return of Irish terrorism doesnt mean its likely or will happen

Not talking it up, Antony, just recognising it. Failing to sort out the border raises the risk. OTOH, talking it down definitely doesn't mean it won't happen. It's just an inconvenient truth, isn't it?

Which bit of Mrs May saying "we will not establish a hard border" are you struggling to comprehend Brian? *-) ...........If the Irish install a hard border then that's they're problem >:-) ........

Oh, I understand what she says Dave. I'm going to make water flow uphill. You believe that, don't you?

Now your just getting desperate Brian (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

pelmetman - 2018-07-22 12:03 PM

Only to where the IRA plant their bombs if your scaremongering is to be believed >:-) ..........

And you believe that too? Oh dear. :-(

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-07-22 12:11 PM

pelmetman - 2018-07-22 12:03 PM

And you believe that too? Oh dear. :-(

Of course I don't *-) ..........

It's just pure Remoaner scaremongering, like the immediate recession we were supposed to have (lol) ..........

Only another 250 days to go until your nightmare becomes reality Brian :D ........

pelmetman - 2018-07-22 12:09 PM

There you are then. Dave Pelmet believes everything Theresa May says. God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

You've never been able to spot where politicians' pronouncements collide with reality, have you? They all think they can make the impossible possible by talking about it, that is why people vote for them. Then, reality intervenes. What did MacMillan say? Events, dear boy, events?

pelmetman - 2018-07-22 12:06 PM

pelmetman - 2018-07-21 12:44 PM...…………….We can continue to fund our own projects ;-) .................We all ways have done >:-) ...........

The ones in the UK that we currently fund now with our "OWN" money ;-) ...........

Is the wrong answer, Dave, because it doesn't answer the question. Which projects?

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-07-22 12:24 PM

pelmetman - 2018-07-22 12:09 PM

There you are then. Dave Pelmet believes everything Theresa May says. God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

You've never been able to spot where politicians' pronouncements collide with reality, have you? They all think they can make the impossible possible by talking about it, that is why people vote for them. Then, reality intervenes. What did MacMillan say? Events, dear boy, events?

So are the EU going to MAKE us install a border? ;-) .........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-07-22 12:26 PM

pelmetman - 2018-07-22 12:06 PM

Is the wrong answer, Dave, because it doesn't answer the question. Which projects?

Any projects in the UK that WE in the UK decide are worthwhile :-| ..........

Dunno how much clearer I can make it *-) ........

pelmetman - 2018-07-29 5:36 PM

Day 243.........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-6002877/Americas-firms-warn-investors-Brexit-piling-pressure-Number-10.html

Oh dear >:-) .............

It's early for me Dave but I'm struggling to see where your Brexit good news story is here. Please enlighten me in your best Dave Pelmet world viewpoint

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-07-30 7:22 AM

Day 243.........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-6002877/Americas-firms-warn-investors-Brexit-piling-pressure-Number-10.html

It's early for me Dave but I'm struggling to see where your Brexit good news story is here. Please enlighten me in your best Dave Pelmet world viewpoint

No "you" wouldn't.........Where as I see it as another example of just how important little Ol Britain is to the world economy >:-) ...........

Kinda proves the big companies need "us" consumers more than we need them don't you think? ;-) ...........

pelmetman - 2018-07-30 8:15 AM

Barryd999 - 2018-07-30 7:22 AM

Day 243.........

No "you" wouldn't.........Where as I see it as another example of just how important little Ol Britain is to the world economy >:-) ...........

Kinda proves the big companies need "us" consumers more than we need them don't you think? ;-) ...........

I have read it three times over Dave and all I find is the argument that uncertainty over Brexit is bad for business and that there are fears that Brexit may result in a global economic downturn. It seems that Britain being "important to the world economy" matters to you more than our economic prosperity.

Archived