Honda takes back control

Fast Pat

pelmetman - 2019-02-21 8:34 AM..................….

1.........."A Local Border Traffic RegimeSearch for available translations of the preceding has been established for border residents who frequently need to cross the external borders of the Union. It enables EU States to conclude bilateral agreements with their neighbouring non-EU countries so that the border residents can travel back and forth without a Schengen visa and, therefore, without any impediment to trade, social and cultural interchange in the region concerned."

As you can see the EU already has rules in place for such borders *-) ........

They also concede that states can make bilateral agreements >:-) ..........

2..........The GFA had b*gger all to do with customs, it was about freedom of movement between neighboring nations :-| ..........

1 Yes, but you have selectively quoted one section from a much longer document (to which you'd didn't provide a link) that deals with external EU border installations as a whole. The quote is out of context, and therefore misleads. With one bound, he was not free! :-D

What that section describes is the purely local arrangements that can be made between bordering states under bi-lateral agreements (subject to EU approval)[/b] to allow ease of cross border movement for the local people (so very unlikely indeed to include all Irish and Northern Ireland nationals). So yes, that would (or could) apply post-Brexit to the NI/Ireland border.

But importantly, what you have missed is that the full border installations nevertheless have to be there - so that those who are not locals can be identified and dealt with.

Free movement in that context does not mean just driving down the road and crossing the border as anyone now can at Ballybinaby, it means driving up to a border that looks much more like the Serbia/Bulgaria border, showing your ID, and then being waived through.

(Plus, don't forget that almost every state in Europe requires people to carry their official ID with them (which will state where they live), so locals are easily identifiable. AFIK, Ireland does not require its citizens to carry ID, and NI (like the rest of the UK) definitely does not.)

2 But, the Belfast Agreement says, in terms, is no border installations. So, to comply with the Belfast Agreement and the Common Travel Area agreements (which are the long standing bi-laterals), there must be no fixed installations, while to comply with the above quoted document there must be fixed installations, so that people wanting to cross can prove that they qualify as locals, and so that others can be identified and checked.

All this in a land where no means of identification has to be carried. Doesn't work, does it?

Hence my statement, way back, in a different string, that Brexit is a unicorn unless we accept access to the single market and the customs union (which together imply full regulatory alignment), and the (limited) free movement of people that goes with them; or unless (according to the terms of the Belfast Agreement) NI votes to re-unify with Ireland in a referendum. Moggsy won't like that, will he?

That referendum has to be arranged by Karen Bradley (or her successor as Secretary of State for Northern Ireland) which, were she to do so, would almost certainly mean the DUP walked away from their Confidence and Supply Agreement, meaning that the UK government would, effectively, collapse with (especially under present circumstances :-)) a negative majority. Now, is Karen Bradley really going to risk doing that?

The Brexit referendum should never have been held on the simple basis that if people voted leave, we would leave. In that form the referendum outcome was unattainable, and may remain so for years.

MPs (or at least the ones willing/able to understand what they have done) and the EU both know this, which I think goes a long way to explaining what is presently going on in parliament and why Theresa May keeps trotting off to Brussels looking for unicorn fodder, and finding none. That is why she keeps politely being told the backstop riddle was made in London, so London has to solve it.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-02-21 10:15 AM

pelmetman - 2019-02-21 8:34 AM..................….

1.........."A Local Border Traffic RegimeSearch for available translations of the preceding has been established for border residents who frequently need to cross the external borders of the Union. It enables EU States to conclude bilateral agreements with their neighbouring non-EU countries so that the border residents can travel back and forth without a Schengen visa and, therefore, without any impediment to trade, social and cultural interchange in the region concerned."

As you can see the EU already has rules in place for such borders *-) ........

They also concede that states can make bilateral agreements >:-) ..........

2..........The GFA had b*gger all to do with customs, it was about freedom of movement between neighboring nations :-| ..........

1 Yes, but you have selectively quoted one section from a much longer document (to which you'd didn't provide a link) that deals with external EU border installations as a whole. The quote is out of context, and therefore misleads. With one bound, he was not free! :-D

What that section describes is the purely local arrangements that can be made between bordering states under bi-lateral agreements (subject to EU approval)[/b] to allow ease of cross border movement for the local people (so very unlikely indeed to include all Irish and Northern Ireland nationals). So yes, that would (or could) apply post-Brexit to the NI/Ireland border.

But importantly, what you have missed is that the full border installations nevertheless have to be there - so that those who are not locals can be identified and dealt with.

Free movement in that context does not mean just driving down the road and crossing the border as anyone now can at Ballybinaby, it means driving up to a border that looks much more like the Serbia/Bulgaria border, showing your ID, and then being waived through.

(Plus, don't forget that almost every state in Europe requires people to carry their official ID with them (which will state where they live), so locals are easily identifiable. AFIK, Ireland does not require its citizens to carry ID, and NI (like the rest of the UK) definitely does not.)

2 But, the Belfast Agreement says, in terms, is no border installations. So, to comply with the Belfast Agreement and the Common Travel Area agreements (which are the long standing bi-laterals), there must be no fixed installations, while to comply with the above quoted document there must be fixed installations, so that people wanting to cross can prove that they qualify as locals, and so that others can be identified and checked.

All this in a land where no means of identification has to be carried. Doesn't work, does it?

Hence my statement, way back, in a different string, that Brexit is a unicorn unless we accept access to the single market and the customs union (which together imply full regulatory alignment), and the (limited) free movement of people that goes with them; or unless (according to the terms of the Belfast Agreement) NI votes to re-unify with Ireland in a referendum. Moggsy won't like that, will he?

That referendum has to be arranged by Karen Bradley (or her successor as Secretary of State for Northern Ireland) which, were she to do so, would almost certainly mean the DUP walked away from their Confidence and Supply Agreement, meaning that the UK government would, effectively, collapse with (especially under present circumstances :-)) a negative majority. Now, is Karen Bradley really going to risk doing that?

The Brexit referendum should never have been held on the simple basis that if people voted leave, we would leave. In that form the referendum outcome was unattainable, and may remain so for years.

MPs (or at least the ones willing/able to understand what they have done) and the EU both know this, which I think goes a long way to explaining what is presently going on in parliament and why Theresa May keeps trotting off to Brussels looking for unicorn fodder, and finding none. That is why she keeps politely being told the backstop riddle was made in London, so London has to solve it.

You are forgetting one important fact ;-) ..........

It wont be us manning the border as TM has repeatedly stated WE wont be introducing a hard border :D ........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-02-20 10:08 PM

pelmetman - 2019-02-20 9:34 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-02-20 8:28 PM

pelmetman - 2019-02-20 5:53 PM...……………..They're shutting because the EU has signed a FTA with Japan so they no longer need to make vehicles in the EU >:-) ..........

So its further proof the EU is out to screw the UK *-) ..........

Dave, the EU Japan negotiations began in 2013! Guess who has been a party to those negotiations since 2013? Did you hear the UK government threatening to veto the deal because of its potential downside for Swindon? So the UK government was out to screw the UK? Really? You don't arf talk cobblers sometimes! :-D

Seeing as we voted leave in 2016 and the EU agreed the deal in 2017 I doubt they gave a toss what the UK thought *-) ............

They never have before >:-) ........

Blimey Dave, this really is difficult! The UK, as a member state of the EU, was a party to those negotiations, just as the other 27 were. If we collectively negotiated and agreed that agreement with Japan, how can it be the work of the EU to spite the UK. We are the flaming EU, for Gawd's sake. You need to stop imagining what might have happened, and look at what actually happened.

Yes we had some British EU sycophants involved in the negotiations *-) ...........

Fortunately they'll soon be out of a job B-) ...........

747 - 2019-02-21 8:36 AM

Could someone please explain to the bullet man that motor vehicles are manufactured in other Far East countries than just Japan. *-) His world seems to only extend as far as Eastern Europe. We know that by his constant reference to his border crossing adventures in that region. It certainly left a big impression on him. :D

No need thank you i know that, but given the thread topic concerns Japan and Honda i fail to see your point. Why not start a thread on cars not built in Japan if that's what you prefer to discuss? Simple.

Bulletguy - 2019-02-21 4:10 PM

Could someone please explain to the bullet man that motor vehicles are manufactured in other Far East countries than just Japan. *-) His world seems to only extend as far as Eastern Europe. We know that by his constant reference to his border crossing adventures in that region. It certainly left a big impression on him. :D

No need thank you i know that, but given the thread topic concerns Japan and Honda i fail to see your point. Why not start a thread on cars not built in Japan if that's what you prefer to discuss? Simple.

You fail to see a number of things ..... but I will refresh your short term memory failings.

I said I would not buy another new car either built in Europe or comprising of parts made in Europe, or made by any foreign company that has left the UK (I have expanded that to help you grasp it). That will of course also exclude the likes of Ford.

You seemed to think that by buying a car made in the Far East, it would be Japanese.

If Honda have left the UK and are exporting into the EU (as per the new trade agreement) then they are off the list of possible replacements for me.

By the way, cost is not a deciding factor but I have a long memory. The unfriendly comments of Monsewer Macron and Frau Merkel have certainly made an impression on me lately. ;-)

747 - 2019-02-21 5:15 PM

You fail to see a number of things ..... but I will refresh your short term memory failings.

I said I would not buy another new car either built in Europe or comprising of parts made in Europe, or made by any foreign company that has left the UK (I have expanded that to help you grasp it). That will of course also exclude the likes of Ford.

You seemed to think that by buying a car made in the Far East, it would be Japanese.

If Honda have left the UK and are exporting into the EU (as per the new trade agreement) then they are off the list of possible replacements for me.

By the way, cost is not a deciding factor but I have a long memory. The unfriendly comments of Monsewer Macron and Frau Merkel have certainly made an impression on me lately. ;-)

What about a "Tribant" from Russia? Putin who helped deliver Brexit has plans to sell us millions of these. Im getting this one which is the "hot (square) hatch" version. Actually I would support Brexit if you get me one of these.

1) I said I would not buy another new car either built in Europe or comprising of parts made in Europe, or made by any foreign company that has left the UK (I have expanded that to help you grasp it). That will of course also exclude the likes of Ford.

2) You seemed to think that by buying a car made in the Far East, it would be Japanese.

3) If Honda have left the UK and are exporting into the EU (as per the new trade agreement) then they are off the list of possible replacements for me.

4) By the way, cost is not a deciding factor but I have a long memory.

5) The unfriendly comments of Monsewer Macron and Frau Merkel have certainly made an impression on me lately. ;-)

1) There was no need to repeat what you'd already said. I read it the first time so will repeat what you obviously missed, especially now you've reaffirmed your determination it will "not comprise of any parts made in Europe"... "I trust whatever you find you will promptly rip out all European parts for fear of associating with 'the enemy'?" Good luck on that one.

2) Nope....i'm familiar with other brands frequenting our roads, particularly South Korean.......who applied for fta's with the EU back in 2011 which were formally ratified in 2015.

3) Definitely a no go area for you now.......that would be fraternising with "the enemy".

4) Go for a budget entry all Brit built McLaren then.....cheap at only £750k. Deep pockets would be more use than a long memory though.

5) So it was ok for Hunt to say the EU was "like Soviet Union" or Johnson to compare the EU with "Hitler and Napoleon" but not ok for them to counter back? They are supposed to shut up and be put in their place when pro-Brexiteers fling insults out at them eh? A read of this shows who the real abuser has been.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2019/02/donald-tusk-affair-shows-britain-abusive-relationship-eu-and-we-re-abuser

Bulletguy - 2019-02-21 6:34 PM

1) I said I would not buy another new car either built in Europe or comprising of parts made in Europe, or made by any foreign company that has left the UK (I have expanded that to help you grasp it). That will of course also exclude the likes of Ford.

2) You seemed to think that by buying a car made in the Far East, it would be Japanese.

3) If Honda have left the UK and are exporting into the EU (as per the new trade agreement) then they are off the list of possible replacements for me.

5) The unfriendly comments of Monsewer Macron and Frau Merkel have certainly made an impression on me lately. ;-)

1) There was no need to repeat what you'd already said. I read it the first time so will repeat what you obviously missed, especially now you've reaffirmed your determination it will "not comprise of any parts made in Europe"... "I trust whatever you find you will promptly rip out all European parts for fear of associating with 'the enemy'?" Good luck on that one.

2) Nope....i'm familiar with other brands frequenting our roads, particularly South Korean.......who applied for fta's with the EU back in 2011 which were formally ratified in 2015.

3) Definitely a no go area for you now.......that would be fraternising with "the enemy".

4) Go for a budget entry all Brit built McLaren then.....cheap at only £750k. Deep pockets would be more use than a long memory though.

5) So it was ok for Hunt to say the EU was "like Soviet Union" or Johnson to compare the EU with "Hitler and Napoleon" but not ok for them to counter back? They are supposed to shut up and be put in their place when pro-Brexiteers fling insults out at them eh? A read of this shows who the real abuser has been.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2019/02/donald-tusk-affair-shows-britain-abusive-relationship-eu-and-we-re-abuser

Why the link about abuse?

You constantly abuse other forum members on the various Brexit threads. You would have been thrown off most other forums long ago for your abuse.

As for you Barry .... good news.

Your hot hatch Trabant is on its way to you ..... good old Paypal sorted it and it's paid for. Don't worry about the cost, I can stand the £175 for the top of the range model. ;-) Now get out there and start supporting the great Brexit cause.

Nope he can't have a McLaren, carbon fibre chassis from Austria, engine from Mercedes in Germany, gearbox from Italy etc etc

Love to know what motorhome he'll buy....

747 - 2019-02-21 7:53 PM

1) Why the link about abuse?

2) You constantly abuse other forum members on the various Brexit threads. You would have been thrown off most other forums long ago for your abuse.

1) To help you gain a clearer understanding where it's most been coming from seeing as you think Macron and Merkel make 'unfriendly' comments. That article clearly shows who the instigator has been. Not a pretty picture i know but always good to redress a biased opinion with balance.

2) I'll leave that one for regulars on here to decide which certainly needs no prompting from me!

Fast Pat - 2019-02-21 9:16 PM

Nope he can't have a McLaren, carbon fibre chassis from Austria, engine from Mercedes in Germany, gearbox from Italy etc etc

Which (not what) Motorhome? will I buy next?

Certainly none of the British or European crap that is being served up nowadays. I have had my eye on a Mitsubishi Canter chassis cab with a view to buying a 5th wheel. A little chassis shortening and 5th wheel mounting and we are off. Loads of room in the crew cab version, no need for another C1 Medical without downsizing (I currently run a Tag Axle van). Either a British or American made trailer, what's not to like.

I notice Pat that you have disobeyed the instruction to include details of your vehicle next to your name. Do you have a vehicle equipped as a camper? Or did you just stumble across this forum and decided to troll it?

747 - 2019-02-21 10:54 PM

Certainly none of the British or European crap that is being served up nowadays. I have had my eye on a Mitsubishi Canter chassis cab with a view to buying a 5th wheel. A little chassis shortening and 5th wheel mounting and we are off. Loads of room in the crew cab version, no need for another C1 Medical without downsizing (I currently run a Tag Axle van). Either a British or American made trailer, what's not to like.

I notice Pat that you have disobeyed the instruction to include details of your vehicle next to your name. Do you have a vehicle equipped as a camper? Or did you just stumble across this forum and decided to troll it?

Yeah! Youve got a German Motorhome you fecking traitor!!! Even I have a BRITISH Motorhome made by Swift with the bailer twine that holds it together always sourced locally on proper British Farms that are so British they are from Yorkshire! and dont say the engine is from Europe as its definitely out of an Allegro.

Mitsubishi Canter is built in Tramagal in Portugal.

Currently Hyper Exsis 588.

Lol that's true.....how dare these foreigner folk flog their stuff to Little England eh?!! The speaker system they use is an all British B&W though so that's a bit of a plus! :-(

Barryd999 - 2019-02-21 11:01 PM

Yeah! Youve got a German Motorhome you fecking traitor!!! Even I have a BRITISH Motorhome made by Swift with the bailer twine that holds it together always sourced locally on proper British Farms that are so British they are from Yorkshire! and dont say the engine is from Europe as its definitely out of an Allegro.

Ironic isn't it? If it's a pre-2016 model maybe it's exempt and doesn't count?!! (lol)

Fast Pat - 2019-02-22 12:01 AM

Oh dear....it's not going too well so far! (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-22 1:01 AM

Lol that's true.....how dare these foreigner folk flog their stuff to Little England eh?!! The speaker system they use is an all British B&W though so that's a bit of a plus! :-(

Barryd999 - 2019-02-21 11:01 PM

Ironic isn't it? If it's a pre-2016 model maybe it's exempt and doesn't count?!! (lol)

Fast Pat - 2019-02-22 12:01 AM

Oh dear....it's not going too well so far! (lol)

Point of order.........Hymer are now American :D ...........

So will prolly come with a freezer full of free chlorinated chicken >:-) ...........

pelmetman - 2019-02-21 2:50 PM..............................…

You are forgetting one important fact ;-) ..........

It wont be us manning the border as TM has repeatedly stated WE wont be introducing a hard border :D ........

Sorry Dave, but I think it is you who is forgetting at least two, highly relevant, facts.

First, part of the Brexit objectives, as repeatedly stated by Brexiters, is to "bring back control of our borders". I'm surprised you've forgotten that.

If we don't man that border, we leave Ireland/EU with total control. They'll check everything going in to Ireland, and nothing going out - because that would be our job. So, no control at all for the UK.

Even I have reservations about leaving the Irish in total control of the UK border. That would leave control over who and what can enter the UK totally in the hands a foreign power. Border, what border?! :-D

You do realise that you're now proposing to create a wide open back door into the UK at every one of those 270/275/208 (depending on who's counting! :-)) crossing points, don't you? (See Belfast Telegraph article here: http://tinyurl.com/y43mpaxy ) Oh dear, the DUP won't like that idea, will they?

(From the same article, there are only 137 border crossings on the whole of the EU's eastern border - from Finland/Russia right down to Greece/Turkey!)

Second, TM has not, actually, been that forthright in anything I've heard or seen her say, or quoted as saying. All she has said is that the UK doesn't want a hard border with Ireland, not that we won't introduce one. There's a huge difference between want, and won't!

When the chips are down, you have three post-Brexit possibilities. 1 Join the free market and customs union and, as a consequence, accept free movement. 2 Re-unify Ireland and move the border to the Irish Sea. 3 Introduce a had border.

1 leaves you with BRINO. 2 Is not achievable by 29 March, and leaves the date of the UK leaving subject to the outcome of a referendum in Northern Ireland - and we all now know how reliable referendums are, don't we? 3 Breaches the terms of the Belfast Agreement.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-02-22 8:22 AM

(From the same article, there are only 137 border crossings on the whole of the EU's eastern border - from Finland/Russia right down to Greece/Turkey!)

Which means all the others are unmanned ;-) ...........

Unless you really think there are only 137 roads out of the EU? (lol) ............

pelmetman - 2019-02-22 8:42 AM

Unless you really think there are only 137 roads out of the EU? (lol) ............

If you would take the trouble to look, you would see that many of the minor roads have simply been cut at the border, so only the main roads actually cross.

Look at that installation on the Bulgaria-Serbia border I posted a picture of. Do you really expect that level of expense to be maintained on every country lane that crosses a border?

Look at the countries involved. Would you expect there to be open borders on rural roads between them and the neighbouring states? Just look at the eastern border in Google Earth, and you will see how so few roads actually cross.

If you were to open your eyes to reality instead of imagining what you want to see, you'd save yourself a load of time hunting for unicorns! :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-02-22 9:47 AM

If you would take the trouble to look, you would see that many of the minor roads have simply been cut at the border, so only the main roads actually cross.

I wonder how all those migrants have managed to get to Calais and elsewhere then? :-S ...........

Seeing as the only access to the EU is through manned borders >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2019-02-22 10:14 AM

I wonder how all those migrants have managed to get to Calais and elsewhere then? :-S ...........

Don't you read the papers, Dave? Across the Mediterranean, Dave - which has low relevance to road borders, or Ireland - unless they are arriving by Amphicar! :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-02-22 12:43 PM

pelmetman - 2019-02-22 10:14 AM

Don't you read the papers, Dave? Across the Mediterranean, Dave - which has low relevance to road borders, or Ireland - unless they are arriving by Amphicar! :-D

So what about the ones that arrived via Russia? ;-) .........

https://gmdac.iom.int/research-database/sites/default/files/documents/asylum-seekers-and-security-at-the-northern-finnish-russian-border-analysing-arctic-route-episode-of-2015-2016.pdf

Well that's it......everything Japanese has "got to be banned!"

Bumped into an old workmate this afternoon whilst doing a supermarket shop and he goes off on one about Honda. Obviously voted Brexit! His view.....UK should tell Japan to "stuff it" and we should block all Jap imports! So yeah, lets just close down a load more businesses while we're at it eh? Talk about shooting ones self in the foot!

Staggering. *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-22 6:00 PM

Bumped into an old workmate this afternoon whilst doing a supermarket shop and he goes off on one about Honda. Obviously voted Brexit! His view.....UK should tell Japan to "stuff it" and we should block all Jap imports! So yeah, lets just close down a load more businesses while we're at it eh? Talk about shooting ones self in the foot!

Staggering. *-)

Your ex workmate obviously isn't a EU surrender monkey like you B-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-02-22 8:02 PM

Staggering. *-)

Like him you're just an airhead windbag who talks the talk but never walks it. About time you began binning everything you own that doesn't have "made in Britain" stamped on it.....hypocrite. Trashing an economy, closing businesses and throwing thousands out of work is not only the sign of selfish insanity, but an idiot as well.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-22 9:24 PM

pelmetman - 2019-02-22 8:02 PM

Staggering. *-)

Like him you're just an airhead windbag who talks the talk but never walks it. About time you began binning everything you own that doesn't have "made in Britain" stamped on it.....hypocrite. Trashing an economy, closing businesses and throwing thousands out of work is not only the sign of selfish insanity, but an idiot as well.

Have you got the names of those businesses that have relocated to the EU yet? >:-) .........

Archived